The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-15-2012, 03:30 PM
Heir Apparent

Whatever the interpretation is of such images of the dead burying the dead, it might be appealing to a certain segment of the population that is fascinated by the gruesome. If this publication wants people to continually spend money on its newspaper because of the shock value, then it's going to have to up the ante and continue to publish sordid images like this. This doesn't impress me at all, and I can just imagine how Amy Winehouse's parents must feel. But this is what sells, I suppose.

Old 07-15-2012, 03:37 PM
Majesty

I agree with you, Baroness of Books. I was just giving my interpretation of what the pictures might mean, that's all.

Old 07-15-2012, 03:46 PM
Heir Apparent

Thank you, Mermaid; this is all open to interpretation which is what this publication wants. I was just expressing my own general disgust over this.
Old 07-15-2012, 03:47 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyger
There were very few 'big names' around to attend the Santa Barbara event, for example, as it was summer and people are off elsewhere on holiday.

On a side note: 'Chock-full' is not as 'full' as you or I when we work. It seems people think of doing royal duties as being a 9 to 5 non-stop gig. As best as I can make out it leaves a fair amount of down-time for jaunts here and there in the world in this era of air-travel.
Two things: 1. In the US, the whole thing was portrayed as an amazing success, and the press was captivated and sort of star-struck.

2. They may not work in public eight hours a day, but there is an enormous amount of prep work/research and travel. It's my easy, especially when you consider that their every move is documented and photographed and critiqued.
Old 07-15-2012, 04:06 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by casualfan View Post
Two things: 1. In the US, the whole thing was portrayed as an amazing success, and the press was captivated and sort of star-struck.

2. They may not work in public eight hours a day, but there is an enormous amount of prep work/research and travel. It's my easy, especially when you consider that their every move is documented and photographed and critiqued.
It depends on what one means by 'success'. The press was certainly 'respectful' of them - as they are with most royal visits. It would be strange for any American media to be entering into any form of negative reporting on the royals. There is a certain amount of courtesy being extended royals of a foreign country (of course) no matter the reality.

The royals themselves - as I understand it - are not doing all the prep work. They read the results of - or are briefed in person by - staff who have done all the work. This will take far less time than if they had done all this themselves. Every career has prep time - be it teacher, lawyer, doctor - and most of us have to do the prep ourselves. The royals do not.
Old 07-15-2012, 07:16 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyger View Post
First bolded sentence - that was not my impression at the time it occurred but we do not need to have a back-and-forth about it now. Some of that money amount may have been applied after the fact - however, a million dollars is not a lot in this neighborhood. Were the event really a 'success' the amount should have been far-far more. Sometimes, so it can 'look good', people are willing to give a bit more to make the event look better than it was at the time. Even so the total amount is low for the purported crowd that attended.

Second bolded sentence - In effect that is what is being floated, as I said, it's a job offer - 'a regular gig'.

OR - just occurred to me - it's William who wants to come back - and the way he can do that is if he can justify it for charity - this way there won't be an outcry about him flitting around. (See Harry, as mentioned). Like I say these articles seem to me a bit odd - someone, somewhere, is trying to 'float' an acceptable reason so William can come back to the US. That's my bet.

Third bolded sentence - they could certainly do so as a personal vacation trip.
You entirely miss the point of the event. They took part in this polo match to attract wealthy philanthropists, not 'big names'. William and Kate bring enough international press attention without needing to attract celebrities. The tickets sold for between $400 and $4,000 and didn't include any sort of charity auction, which in my experience of working with high net worth individuals, is where the really big money is raised at these sorts of events. The $4,000 tickets guaranteed the attendee that they'd be in the same room as William and Kate, nothing more. Those tickets were limited to only 60 so that as many of the ticket holders could see the royals up close.

The treasurer of the Santa Barbara polo club, Glen Holden, said before the event that he had already guaranteed $2 million for the Princes' Foundation. Tiffany paid £350,000 to be the main sponsor of the polo match, and also donated a £150,000 trophy for the winner. Audi, Royal Salute and Jack Wills also sponsored it for £150,000 each. Each polo player, of which there were 3 different teams taking part, had to pay £60,000 for the honour of playing at the event.

I have no doubt that the event raised over $2 million dollars in the end. Everyone who took part had to sign confidentiality agreements, which meant they couldn't confirm how much they'd given.

The visit was mainly a working visit paid for by the British Foreign Office. That's why they attended events at the British Consul-General's residence, an event for UK Trade and Industry, and BAFTA (where a table cost $16,000).

But the polo match was not the only charity event that was held. There was a separate private fundraising event for Tusk Trust. This event was by far the most exclusive of the visit, limited to a very small group of hugely wealthy people and held at the home of Steve Tisch, owner of the NY Giants NFL team. Reese Witherspoon was among the guests. Charlie Mayhew, Chief Executive of Tusk, said at the time that the charity had been "inundated with people willing to pay whatever it took to get an invite" and that "It has been like trying to keep the lid on a volcano since the visit was announced".

The upshot of all this is that we are unlikely ever to know exactly how much William and Kate raised for their charities while in LA. I think it's safe to say that it was a considerable sum for a 2 day visit. Would any other royal couple have been able to even come close to such a success? I very much doubt it.
Old 07-15-2012, 08:50 PM
Heir Presumptive

When WnK were in LA I noticed that not a lot of A lusters bothered to come. I remember Reese W being the biggest name there, and the rest were older celebs who don't work a lot anymore.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 07-15-2012, 08:53 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
When WnK were in LA I noticed that not a lot of A lusters bothered to come. I remember Reese W being the biggest name there, and the rest were older celebs who don't work a lot anymore.
You mean they were just greeted by D List celebrities like Streisand, Tom Hanks, Nicole Kidman
Old 07-15-2012, 08:55 PM
Heir Presumptive

Did I say D list? Point out where I ever said D list? I'll be waiting.
As I said and you just confirmed, older celebs who don't work very much anymore, that doesn't equate them to being on the D list. Some of them haven't had a hit movie in a couple of years to a decade.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 07-15-2012, 08:58 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIIR View Post
Charlie Mayhew, Chief Executive of Tusk, said at the time that the charity had been "inundated with people willing to pay whatever it took to get an invite" and that "It has been like trying to keep the lid on a volcano since the visit was announced".

Would any other royal couple have been able to even come close to such a success? I very much doubt it.
EIIR, we are never going to agree because we are talking at cross purposes. I understand they raised money for charity - that's a good thing (though there are reasons to wish such were not so widely lauded as a legitimate way for the rich to disperse their wealth). Anyway, that's what the rich do. That's the 'sell', the raison d'etre for these glittering events. Makes them palatable for the 'common folk'.

What Mr Mayhew may have had to say is irrelevant, it's unlikely to be factual. Have you considered that most of this is stroking British pride? It's extremely important for the British to believe - I have come to realize - that their royal family is valued elsewhere. I'm going to narrow that down a bit more: it's important for Diana-fans to believe that her sons, and William in particular, is a man of consequence and importance, that he is a 'celebrity' that other celebrities - especially Hollywood celebrities - elbow their way to be near - the 'true' celebrity of royalty. All this while there is a bit of laughing up one's sleeves at the Americans trying 'to get near the royals'. I guarantee you calls went out - people were being invited. The impoliteness of characterizing those who came as being all starry-eyed and giddy is extreme and implausible. I saw that here on this Board last year. It's a curious double-edged emotion: pride in one's royals and a simultaneous laughing at the ridiculous Americans. Mr Mayhew's description is clearly intended to hit both aspects: plump up British pride and give an image that prompts comic relief - silly Americans. (I can honestly say that if I ever got an invitation - which I never will - I'd decline now knowing what I do - except for Charles and Camilla - I'd go like a shot and be very happy to appear the fan I am. )

The Mayor of the city did his civic duty and welcomed the royal couple and it was ridiculed on this Board in a very sniffy and superior way. It was a revelation to me. It was then I realized that all this media spin has a purpose - to plump up the pride of the British public. It's not that the royals are not given respect here - they are - for those who know who they are. But this trying to make of the visit some sort of mob frenzy of the rich (or anyone) to 'be near' them beggars the facts.

As for your final sentence I think you will find that it is Prince Charles who has been the royal to truly succeed in fundraising on an international scale. His sons do not yet come close.
Old 07-15-2012, 09:02 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
Did I say D list? Point out where I ever said D list? I'll be waiting.
As I said and you just confirmed, older celebs who don't work very much anymore, that doesn't equate them to being on the D list. Some of them haven't had a hit movie in a couple of years to a decade.
Apparently sarcasm doesn't translate well, LOL.

I will grant you that there was not a reality show star in sight, although the stars in attendance remain wealthy and influential.
Old 07-16-2012, 12:19 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine
although the stars in attendance remain wealthy and influential.
and that was the point of the BAFTA dinner. Influential. The dinner was a networking dinner for British actors and actresses. The table assignments were such that an up and coming BAFTA actor was at each table meeting with the hollywood establishment.
Old 07-16-2012, 12:29 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleQ2 View Post
and that was the point of the BAFTA dinner. Influential. The dinner was a networking dinner for British actors and actresses. The table assignments were such that an up and coming BAFTA actor was at each table meeting with the hollywood establishment.
The BAFTA event was happening regardless of whether William and Kate were there. Because they were there certain things were shifted so that William and Kate could meet the actors and actresses. I am sure the actors and actresses were gracious and allowed themselves to be met. Everyone at that event were doing their jobs.
Old 07-16-2012, 07:26 AM
Administrator

Let's stay on topic...the actual CURRENT events of William and Catherine.

If you would like to discuss the specifics and merits of the LA trip, please do so here http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...-30989-27.html.

Old 07-17-2012, 10:56 AM
Courtier

Richard Palmer@RoyalReporter
The Foundation of Prince William and Prince Harry is now The Royal Foundation of The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Prince Harry.

Clarence House@ClarenceHouse
The Royal Foundation of The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Prince Harry was formerly The Foundation of Prince William and Prince Harry

Richard Palmer@RoyalReporter
William, Kate and Harry's foundation raised £4.8 million and handed out £1.3 million in its first year, the accounts show.

Link to the new website for The Royal Foundation of The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Prince Harry
The Royal Foundation
Old 07-17-2012, 12:46 PM
Serene Highness

I like the new website - very cohesive and clean. It seems as though they really are trying to harness their influence into focused directions where they can build upon their efforts. Interesting to see their trustees - a close group of trusted advisors.
Old 07-17-2012, 03:55 PM
Serene Highness

What a great website. I think it is well done, it is informative and easy to access.
Old 07-17-2012, 07:29 PM
Heir Apparent

I really like the new website looks great and I'm happy they are continuing to develop this foundation.

Express.co.uk - Home of the Daily and Sunday Express | UK News :: Kate Middleton, Prince William and Harry's princely sum for charity
Old 07-18-2012, 04:00 AM
Majesty

I really like the new website. It's clutter-free and easy to navigate (I can't say much on its' accessibility in terms of screen readers since I don't use them, but from what I can see, there aren't too many graphics to make the site difficult to navigate using something like JAWS). Glad the name now includes Catherine. I know that has been in the works for a while.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 07-18-2012, 08:30 AM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

A bit more about the foundation and its first year here:

First full year of The Royal Foundation of The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Prince Harry
Quote:
The accounts show that The Foundation has spent over £1.3m on charitable activity in this inaugural year of grant-making. The £1.3m spent during 2011 included administering The Royal Wedding Charitable Gift Fund, identifying and distributing donations to 26 charities on behalf of The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge. Other grants have since been made, and there are plans for future grants – through collaborations and other projects – in the foreseeable future.

The accounts show The Foundation is continuing to build a robust long-term funding base to support projects that draw upon the interests of its Patrons. The growth in income raised in the last financial year includes income from activities related to The Royal Wedding Charitable Gift Fund and the sale of the official Wedding Programme.

Closed Thread