Duke and Duchess of Cambridge Current Events 3: April-September 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
William And Catherine to Visit Cambridge
Cambridge residents 'excited' by visit from their Duke and Duchess
The residents of Cambridge are delighted by the news that they will receive a visit from 'their' Duke and Duchess. William and Kate, whose official title carries the city's name, will make an appearance in the East Anglia city “in the not too distant future”. And Cambridge’s mayor, Sheila Stuart, is eagerly anticipating their visit: “This is very exciting news,” she said.

Finally, they're going to visit Cambridge. I have to say I've been wondering why on earth they've not been to Cambridge yet. I had assumed that it would be one of the first places they'd visit after their wedding but not so.

I'd think so too!
But to be fair, William's been busy. Still they should have found the time somehow.

It's not just a question of DDoC wanting to visit Cambridge - there has to be purpose/reason. Opening/unveiling/big local anniversary or visiting an organisation linked to one of their charitiable causes or the jubilee perhaps. But it will never be random. And then there is co-ordinating diaries with the locals. That's why is takes time but the sifnificant aspect is there has to be a purpose.

I read the article and I think that their visit to Cambridge is not confirmed at all!

I read the article and I think that their visit to Cambridge is not confirmed at all!
Given the number of reports on this story, I daresay a visit is pretty likely.
Of course, it may take next month, or in autumn - "not too distant future" can mean anything.

It's very macabre and confusing; I can't understand the point of this.

Last edited:
Bad taste? I think it's very interesting. Someone is making a serious editorial comment. One may not like it, but that's what it is. It's a whopper, too.

If people can't figure out what the 'serious editorial comment' is, then the editor has failed. Contrary to this being a 'whopper', it's just the latest in a long line of pointless manipulations of well-known public people to shock for the sake of it. Quality publications don't need to stoop to this distasteful level to make their points.

All I noticed were the horrible photos; I didn't even bother to find out the name of the publication and wouldn't buy it anyway if it were available in my area. But that's just me.

Last edited:
This is extremely tasteless, and disturbing. I won't buy this publication either.

I will speak to the one of Amy Winehouse - a talented artist who acquired celebrity status and was destroyed by the adulation in that she could not handle it. It's a commentary about celebrity - about the media - and how it warps and changes people subject to its glare. It's a kind of death, a kind of being buried alive. It seems the artist of the picture is suggesting that the media glare has or is changing William and Kate - and not in a healthy way.

I'd say that's a whopper of an insight!

Curious article - this is likely the 3rd or 4th time over the course of this past year where there have been articles making a concerted effort to spin the polo event last year in Santa Barbara CA as a success. I suppose if one says it long enough and loud enough people will think it's true. It's hard to know from which side the sell is originating - but it looks to me like the couple are being offered a regular gig.

Last edited:
I don't think it's anything like that. The publication has done it to get attention, currently negative, and sell papers. I doubt they care one bit about media insight and glare and being "buried alive". The answer to why? Is much more simple than you make out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why would anyone need to 'spin' this event? It was an obvious success at the time - they had no difficulty in attracting very wealthy people to the event, along with international press coverage for the club, the charities and the individuals involved. They made an amazing amount of money in just an afternoon, though.

The club, since it's their representative giving the interview, are obviously keen to highlight how successful it was and that they'd like it to become a regular event. Harry has made playing polo abroad a regular thing for Sentebale, so it's not out of the question. I'd be very doubtful that William and Kate would be able to go to LA every year or two though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why would anyone need to 'spin' this event? It was an obvious success at the time - they had no difficulty in attracting very wealthy people to the event, along with international press coverage for the club, the charities and the individuals involved. They made an amazing amount of money in just an afternoon, though.

The club, since it's their representative giving the interview, are obviously keen to highlight how successful it was and that they'd like it to become a regular event. Harry has made playing polo abroad a regular thing for Sentebale, so it's not out of the question. I'd be very doubtful that William and Kate would be able to go to LA every year or two though.

First bolded sentence - that was not my impression at the time it occurred but we do not need to have a back-and-forth about it now. Some of that money amount may have been applied after the fact - however, a million dollars is not a lot in this neighborhood. Were the event really a 'success' the amount should have been far-far more. Sometimes, so it can 'look good', people are willing to give a bit more to make the event look better than it was at the time. Even so the total amount is low for the purported crowd that attended.

Second bolded sentence - In effect that is what is being floated, as I said, it's a job offer - 'a regular gig'.

OR - just occurred to me - it's William who wants to come back - and the way he can do that is if he can justify it for charity - this way there won't be an outcry about him flitting around. (See Harry, as mentioned). Like I say these articles seem to me a bit odd - someone, somewhere, is trying to 'float' an acceptable reason so William can come back to the US. That's my bet.

Third bolded sentence - they could certainly do so as a personal vacation trip.

Last edited:
If I'm remembering right, when William and Kate visited the US after their tour of Canada, it was stated that it was not a part of their official tour but just a stop on their way back home to the UK.

As much as such a gig as this would draw a lot of publicity and donations, we have to remember too that its not that far off when Wills and Kate's calendar will be chock full of official engagements as they settle into doing full time royal duties.

If I'm remembering right, when William and Kate visited the US after their tour of Canada, it was stated that it was not a part of their official tour but just a stop on their way back home to the UK.

As much as such a gig as this would draw a lot of publicity and donations, we have to remember too that its not that far off when Wills and Kate's calendar will be chock full of official engagements as they settle into doing full time royal duties.

Exactly - and in fact the whole US leg wound up going from being just a brief stop to looking like an official progress. It wasn't - and it seems it was hastily arranged - that haste showed. There were very few 'big names' around to attend the Santa Barbara event, for example, as it was summer and people are off elsewhere on holiday.

On a side note: 'Chock-full' is not as 'full' as you or I when we work. It seems people think of doing royal duties as being a 9 to 5 non-stop gig. As best as I can make out it leaves a fair amount of down-time for jaunts here and there in the world in this era of air-travel.

On a side note: 'Chock-full' is not as 'full' as you or I when we work. It seems people think of doing royal duties as being a 9 to 5 non-stop gig. As best as I can make out it leaves a fair amount of down-time for jaunts here and there in the world in this era of air-travel.

Oh I agree with you there but I can see where when they do become full time working royals, whatever down time they do have, they would have enough personal affiliations in the UK rather than commit to something in the US. I don't think I've ever heard of a royal doing something yearly in the US but I'm sure it'll pop up if there is one. :D

I think the point is that news about some famous people "buries" news of other famous people. Celebrity is fleeting and the public is fickle. It's very macabre; I agree. I remember United Colors of Bennetton getting in trouble for the same thing--using tragic images to sell sweaters.

Whatever the interpretation is of such images of the dead burying the dead, it might be appealing to a certain segment of the population that is fascinated by the gruesome. If this publication wants people to continually spend money on its newspaper because of the shock value, then it's going to have to up the ante and continue to publish sordid images like this. This doesn't impress me at all, and I can just imagine how Amy Winehouse's parents must feel. But this is what sells, I suppose.

Last edited:
I agree with you, Baroness of Books. I was just giving my interpretation of what the pictures might mean, that's all.:flowers:

Thank you, Mermaid; this is all open to interpretation which is what this publication wants. I was just expressing my own general disgust over this.:flowers:

Last edited:
Tyger said:
There were very few 'big names' around to attend the Santa Barbara event, for example, as it was summer and people are off elsewhere on holiday.

Two things: 1. In the US, the whole thing was portrayed as an amazing success, and the press was captivated and sort of star-struck.

2. They may not work in public eight hours a day, but there is an enormous amount of prep work/research and travel. It's my easy, especially when you consider that their every move is documented and photographed and critiqued.

Two things: 1. In the US, the whole thing was portrayed as an amazing success, and the press was captivated and sort of star-struck.

2. They may not work in public eight hours a day, but there is an enormous amount of prep work/research and travel. It's my easy, especially when you consider that their every move is documented and photographed and critiqued.

It depends on what one means by 'success'. The press was certainly 'respectful' of them - as they are with most royal visits. It would be strange for any American media to be entering into any form of negative reporting on the royals. There is a certain amount of courtesy being extended royals of a foreign country (of course) no matter the reality.

The royals themselves - as I understand it - are not doing all the prep work. They read the results of - or are briefed in person by - staff who have done all the work. This will take far less time than if they had done all this themselves. Every career has prep time - be it teacher, lawyer, doctor - and most of us have to do the prep ourselves. The royals do not.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom