Duke and Duchess of Cambridge Current Events 3: April-September 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
First bolded sentence - that was not my impression at the time it occurred but we do not need to have a back-and-forth about it now. Some of that money amount may have been applied after the fact - however, a million dollars is not a lot in this neighborhood. Were the event really a 'success' the amount should have been far-far more. Sometimes, so it can 'look good', people are willing to give a bit more to make the event look better than it was at the time. Even so the total amount is low for the purported crowd that attended.

Second bolded sentence - In effect that is what is being floated, as I said, it's a job offer - 'a regular gig'.

OR - just occurred to me - it's William who wants to come back - and the way he can do that is if he can justify it for charity - this way there won't be an outcry about him flitting around. (See Harry, as mentioned). Like I say these articles seem to me a bit odd - someone, somewhere, is trying to 'float' an acceptable reason so William can come back to the US. That's my bet.

Third bolded sentence - they could certainly do so as a personal vacation trip.

You entirely miss the point of the event. They took part in this polo match to attract wealthy philanthropists, not 'big names'. William and Kate bring enough international press attention without needing to attract celebrities. The tickets sold for between $400 and $4,000 and didn't include any sort of charity auction, which in my experience of working with high net worth individuals, is where the really big money is raised at these sorts of events. The $4,000 tickets guaranteed the attendee that they'd be in the same room as William and Kate, nothing more. Those tickets were limited to only 60 so that as many of the ticket holders could see the royals up close.

The treasurer of the Santa Barbara polo club, Glen Holden, said before the event that he had already guaranteed $2 million for the Princes' Foundation. Tiffany paid £350,000 to be the main sponsor of the polo match, and also donated a £150,000 trophy for the winner. Audi, Royal Salute and Jack Wills also sponsored it for £150,000 each. Each polo player, of which there were 3 different teams taking part, had to pay £60,000 for the honour of playing at the event.

I have no doubt that the event raised over $2 million dollars in the end. Everyone who took part had to sign confidentiality agreements, which meant they couldn't confirm how much they'd given.

The visit was mainly a working visit paid for by the British Foreign Office. That's why they attended events at the British Consul-General's residence, an event for UK Trade and Industry, and BAFTA (where a table cost $16,000).

But the polo match was not the only charity event that was held. There was a separate private fundraising event for Tusk Trust. This event was by far the most exclusive of the visit, limited to a very small group of hugely wealthy people and held at the home of Steve Tisch, owner of the NY Giants NFL team. Reese Witherspoon was among the guests. Charlie Mayhew, Chief Executive of Tusk, said at the time that the charity had been "inundated with people willing to pay whatever it took to get an invite" and that "It has been like trying to keep the lid on a volcano since the visit was announced".

The upshot of all this is that we are unlikely ever to know exactly how much William and Kate raised for their charities while in LA. I think it's safe to say that it was a considerable sum for a 2 day visit. Would any other royal couple have been able to even come close to such a success? I very much doubt it.

When WnK were in LA I noticed that not a lot of A lusters bothered to come. I remember Reese W being the biggest name there, and the rest were older celebs who don't work a lot anymore.

When WnK were in LA I noticed that not a lot of A lusters bothered to come. I remember Reese W being the biggest name there, and the rest were older celebs who don't work a lot anymore.

You mean they were just greeted by D List celebrities like Streisand, Tom Hanks, Nicole Kidman :whistling:

Did I say D list? Point out where I ever said D list? I'll be waiting.
As I said and you just confirmed, older celebs who don't work very much anymore, that doesn't equate them to being on the D list. Some of them haven't had a hit movie in a couple of years to a decade.

Charlie Mayhew, Chief Executive of Tusk, said at the time that the charity had been "inundated with people willing to pay whatever it took to get an invite" and that "It has been like trying to keep the lid on a volcano since the visit was announced".

Would any other royal couple have been able to even come close to such a success? I very much doubt it.

EIIR, we are never going to agree because we are talking at cross purposes. I understand they raised money for charity - that's a good thing (though there are reasons to wish such were not so widely lauded as a legitimate way for the rich to disperse their wealth). Anyway, that's what the rich do. That's the 'sell', the raison d'etre for these glittering events. Makes them palatable for the 'common folk'.

What Mr Mayhew may have had to say is irrelevant, it's unlikely to be factual. Have you considered that most of this is stroking British pride? It's extremely important for the British to believe - I have come to realize - that their royal family is valued elsewhere. I'm going to narrow that down a bit more: it's important for Diana-fans to believe that her sons, and William in particular, is a man of consequence and importance, that he is a 'celebrity' that other celebrities - especially Hollywood celebrities - elbow their way to be near - the 'true' celebrity of royalty. All this while there is a bit of laughing up one's sleeves at the Americans trying 'to get near the royals'. I guarantee you calls went out - people were being invited. The impoliteness of characterizing those who came as being all starry-eyed and giddy is extreme and implausible. I saw that here on this Board last year. It's a curious double-edged emotion: pride in one's royals and a simultaneous laughing at the ridiculous Americans. Mr Mayhew's description is clearly intended to hit both aspects: plump up British pride and give an image that prompts comic relief - silly Americans. (I can honestly say that if I ever got an invitation - which I never will - I'd decline now knowing what I do - except for Charles and Camilla - I'd go like a shot and be very happy to appear the fan I am. ;) )

The Mayor of the city did his civic duty and welcomed the royal couple and it was ridiculed on this Board in a very sniffy and superior way. It was a revelation to me. It was then I realized that all this media spin has a purpose - to plump up the pride of the British public. It's not that the royals are not given respect here - they are - for those who know who they are. But this trying to make of the visit some sort of mob frenzy of the rich (or anyone) to 'be near' them beggars the facts.

As for your final sentence I think you will find that it is Prince Charles who has been the royal to truly succeed in fundraising on an international scale. His sons do not yet come close.

Last edited:
Did I say D list? Point out where I ever said D list? I'll be waiting.
As I said and you just confirmed, older celebs who don't work very much anymore, that doesn't equate them to being on the D list. Some of them haven't had a hit movie in a couple of years to a decade.

Apparently sarcasm doesn't translate well, LOL.

I will grant you that there was not a reality show star in sight, although the stars in attendance remain wealthy and influential.

NGalitzine said:
although the stars in attendance remain wealthy and influential.
and that was the point of the BAFTA dinner. Influential. The dinner was a networking dinner for British actors and actresses. The table assignments were such that an up and coming BAFTA actor was at each table meeting with the hollywood establishment.

and that was the point of the BAFTA dinner. Influential. The dinner was a networking dinner for British actors and actresses. The table assignments were such that an up and coming BAFTA actor was at each table meeting with the hollywood establishment.

The BAFTA event was happening regardless of whether William and Kate were there. Because they were there certain things were shifted so that William and Kate could meet the actors and actresses. I am sure the actors and actresses were gracious and allowed themselves to be met. Everyone at that event were doing their jobs.

the photo was taken at the Queens Jubilee luncheon with the crowned heads of state.... and I'm sure it was cropped as they all had drinks in their hand.

i read that on July 27 William, Kate and Harry will attend a luncheon for the opening Olympic ceremonies. But, will they be attending the full ceremony? Because I read that all senior members of the Royal Family will attend Friday night’s opening ceremony following a Buckingham Palace reception hosted by the Queen for foreign heads of state and government attending the Games. Will Willam and kate attend this one too?

hkittybaby said:
i read that on July 27 William, Kate and Harry will attend a luncheon for the opening Olympic ceremonies. But, will they be attending the full ceremony? Because I read that all senior members of the Royal Family will attend Friday night’s opening ceremony following a Buckingham Palace reception hosted by the Queen for foreign heads of state and government attending the Games. Will Willam and kate attend this one too?

They are not confirmed 'officially' to attend. But it is expected they will attended the opening ceremony Friday night. As for Olympic events, we have a reception tomorrow and a potential early evening event on Friday 27th. According to the future engagements list (both BRF and POW sites) only QEII and DofE are attending both events. They will probably attend the opening ceremony privately.

Richard Palmer@RoyalReporter
Reports keep surfacing of Will, Kate and Harry going to a charity do with Brad and Angelina at the V&A tonight but royal sources say not.

don't know if it's true

Richard Palmer@RoyalReporter
Reports keep surfacing of Will, Kate and Harry going to a charity do with Brad and Angelina at the V&A tonight but royal sources say not.

don't know if it's true

Could this be a surprise event for them to show up to?

I hope they don't go. Leave the Holywood celebs to themselves, unless you happen to be in LA trying to raise money for charity.

I hope they don't go. Leave the Holywood celebs to themselves, unless you happen to be in LA trying to raise money for charity.

I definitely see your point. Even though it would be great to have the Cambridges and Harry stay away from this little shindig. Yes, it would be delightful if they could work together with Pitt and Jolie, but I think they're in two different spheres. There's no need to mix with Hollywood big names, because it may give an impression that the young royals want to be like celebrities, and that's not the impression anyone would want to give. Perhaps they can do something together out of the limelight. I know sometimes Jolie's charity work is not exposed until after it's been done, so perhaps they can try to slip under the radar of the press and do something, if they feel that it's needed.

They just could not attend the JOLYPITT's. They attend this evening the reception given by the Queen at Buckghimham Palace for the head of states. And before they will be on hand for the torchbearer at the gate of the Palace.

Rosapru said:
They just could not attend the JOLYPITT's. They attend this evening the reception given by the Queen at Buckghimham Palace for the head of states. And before they will be on hand for the torchbearer at the gate of the Palace.

Heads of State reception is on Friday, they meet the torch earl evening and William, Harry and Catherine have an engagement this afternoon.
They could easily attend the event tonight.

Last edited:
Please note that all discussions regarding William, Catherine and Harry's attendance at Bacon college should be posted http://www.theroyalforums.com/forum...vents-5-july-2011-a-31428-44.html#post1444995 .​

In addition, all posts regaring the Cambridge's at the 2012 London Olympics should be posted here http://www.theroyalforums.com/forum...ily-and-the-2012-london-olympics-31266-9.html .​

Additional off topic posts will be deleted without notice.

Thanks!

Zonk
British Forums Moderator

Last edited:
Doesn't look new, looks like the military style outfit warn for the Irish Guards parade last year.

I thought so too Lumutqueen but on 2nd throughts it looks like a jacket and skirt; no hat; wrong shoes and William is not in uniform. The army regiment is special air service and not the Irish Guards.

I thought the same too but like cepe said where's the hat and the shoes are wrong and Wills isn't in his uniform.

No I meant the outfit looks like the one worn at the parade, not the picture itself. I have no idea where it's from,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom