Duke and Duchess of Cambridge Current Events 1: April 29-November 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
About the 2nd pic in this link-
Wills and Harry in tails and top hats! Dashing and dapper!:cool:

Y'know, these two (especially William) could probably look good in almost anything. Still can't believe it's been six months. Seems like yesterday that I was staying up all night to watch the wedding, and spending the day of in a complete daze.

Errr....yes, what a wonderful picture.

Where has this year gone?!! Married six months and to think, this time last year we didn't have a clue!!!

Yes, congratulations to them on 6 months of wedded bliss. I wish them more happiness. Catherine was always very athletic and it doesn't surprise me that she would have been injured during a sporting event. I'm supposing the surgery had to do with that injury.

Congratulations to Will and Kate on their six months of married life. That article is a great perspective of the events that took place during this half year and what an effective team they make. I'm sure there are bigger and better things ahead for them, but it's obvious as long as they're doing it together nothing is impossible.:wub:

And it's not too surprising that Kate got that scar as a results of sports, being the active person she's always been. I thought perhaps it could have been the reason. I wonder if helmets are now mandated for these contact sports; they should be.

And, Russo, although there's no comparison (as you said), you'd think with all the glitz and glamour Kim Kardashian's marriage might have lasted a weeee bit longer, lol!

Last edited:
And, Russo, although there's no comparison (as you said), you'd think with all the glitz and glamour Kim Kardashian's marriage might have lasted a weeee bit longer, lol!
And there's the difference between class (Wills and Catherine) and no class (The Kardashian Klan. . . .).

Congratulations to Will and Kate on their six months of married life. That article is a great perspective of the events that took place during this half year and what an effective team they make. I'm sure there are bigger and better things ahead for them, but it's obvious as long as they're doing it together nothing is impossible.:wub:

And it's not too surprising that Kate got that scar as a results of sports, being the active person she's always been. I thought perhaps it could have been the reason. I wonder if helmets are now mandated for these contact sports; they should be.

You said it beautifully. They're a great team, and have so much to look forward to. Makes me think of a line from a song from 'Wicked':

'Unlimited, together we're unlimited'

It fits them perfectly.

As for the Kardashian mess, as Russo pointed out, there's class and then there's lack thereof. Quite depressing to witness.

:previous: Is anyone else concerned that they both easily got injured during sporting activities so severly that they needed to go to the hospital? For instance, in lacrosse in the United States only men wear complete head guards while women simply have 'eye shields'. I realise William was hit with a golf club and golf normally doesn't need any protection but field hockey or whatever Catherine was playing clearly needs some sort of 'guard'. I question the lack of protection at schools for sporting activities and hope that William or Catherine perhaps take that on as a cause...

JMO, hope I didn't offend anyone. :flowers:

:previous: Is anyone else concerned that they both easily got injured during sporting activities so severly that they needed to go to the hospital? For instance, in lacrosse in the United States only men wear complete head guards while women simply have 'eye shields'. I realise William was hit with a golf club and golf normally doesn't need any protection but field hockey or whatever Catherine was playing clearly needs some sort of 'guard'. I question the lack of protection at schools for sporting activities and hope that William or Catherine perhaps take that on as a cause...

I don't think there is anything to be concerned about.

Men wear head gear in lacrosse because when a man hurls a lacrosse ball to a teammate, it's going a heckuva lot faster than when a women does the same thing. Sorry ladies, no matter how hard we try to be equals with men, they really are (physically) stronger than we are.

It appears Kate's accident was during a field hockey match, the ball doesn't travel through the air, or rather it shouldn't, thus the need for head gear is minimal.

Kate is a natural in her public life.She is doing a great job so far.

Kate is a natural in her public life.She is doing a great job so far.
`

Now this might sound a wee bit odd but it just hit me.
I think that one reason that Kate (and William) come across so well with their public is that she definitely does not focus on the *I*... hence there is no sense of an inflated ego.

Many in the public eye tend to draw attention to themselves as far as how they dress, how they behave, how they talk to people. Both William and Kate can easily put the attention on where they are, who they're meeting and the purpose they have in mind as their primary goals and in that way, draw the people around them into the event along with them.

Although I'm sure a lot of us just love following what Kate wears and how she does her hair and such (it does get a lot of attention), what I think is remarkable is how often the follow ups with this couple seems to have a heartwarming effect that very much underscores the empathy and caring of these two. Such as the follow up letter to the little boy in the hospital, the donations to charity the stemmed from their wedding gifts, Wills taking time and requesting to visit Australia after a natural disaster.
None of these acts are self serving or even something that they were required to do as their "roles" but come from the heart.

Little by little this couple are making differences in people's lives. They do it naturally.

Or, I hate to say it, she is a natural "mouse" and is, and always has been happy to be in the background. I remember, long before I became a member of TRF a post that said that Kate (as she was called then) was the perfect decoration for a royal arm.
We will see in time I imagine but, at least she is a pleasant change from the "I, me" that we have heard constantly from the ex-duchess of York.

Or, I hate to say it, she is a natural "mouse" and is, and always has been happy to be in the background. I remember, long before I became a member of TRF a post that said that Kate (as she was called then) was the perfect decoration for a royal arm.
We will see in time I imagine but, at least she is a pleasant change from the "I, me" that we have heard constantly from the ex-duchess of York.

Did you mean "mouse" which is not a very nice label? Or did you perhaps mean "muse".

No, no offense taken, and you brought up good points though I did speculate in my post if they should be mandating helmets.:) In professional sports, they do - with the exception of soccer (football), AFAIK. And while the ball may not travel long in field hockey, there is that chance that someone can get whacked in the head with a stick in close quarters which might have occurred to Kate. I think anyone on a playing field, especially in school sports, needs to be wearing protective gear.

Last edited:
Did you mean "mouse" which is not a very nice label? Or did you perhaps mean "muse".
No, I meant mouse, I don't think Catherine could be anyone except a dizzy teenager's muse. :whistling:

As in "reserved, modest, shy, shrinking violet, mouse" Quoted from Roget's Thesaurus.

Last edited:
Baroness of Books said:
No, no offense taken, and you brought up good points though I did speculate in my post if they should be mandating helmets.:) In professional sports, they do - with the exception of soccer (football), AFAIK. And while the ball may not travel long in field hockey, there is that chance that someone can get whacked in the head with a stick in close quarters which might have occurred to Kate. I think anyone on a playing field, especially in school sports, needs to be wearing protective gear.

Thank you, that's exactly how I feel since really William and Kate are two out of possibly many cases. The idea of having your child have surgery and on their head, Diana and Carole were probably justifiably terrified.

It doesn't bother me that good-looking, popular people can draw attention to worthy causes. There are many problems out there, and I don't expect people to be well-informed on all of them. I'm not. So, if people like Will and Kate can draw more attention to THIS cause, I think that's great. The most recent conversation I had about Africa was not about the famine, it was about a fundraiser involving orphanages/schools for girls. The famine didn't even come up.

If I look at the main issues that are being discussed these days where I am: the economy (U.S. and world wide), the drought (in Texas), the upcoming election, Iraq/Afghanistan, Libya and other issues surrounding the "Arab Spring", issues with the school system....That's a lot right there.

I think most people know there are many problems in the world. This was an opportunity to shine a light on the famine in Africa.

I agree with you 100% Erin,you hit the nail on the head ....

Kate and William will be attending the Cenotaph Remembrance Day Service on November 13th.

The Prince of Wales - Sunday 13th November 2011

So they'll be at events twice next week - The dinner and reception on the 10th and then the Service on the 13th.

Good post, Erin9.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if William and Catherine will also attend the Festival of Remembrance at the Royal Albert Hall on Saturday evening on November 12th?

Does anyone know if William and Catherine will also attend the Festival of Remembrance at the Royal Albert Hall on Saturday evening on November 12th?

Doubtful as it's not on the calender. It is reported that, QE2, Prince Philip, Princess Anne, The Duke of Duchess of Gloucester, The Duke of Kent and Princess Alexandra will attend.

Last edited:
Very well said Erin and Thank You!!

I'm assuming William will be in Uniform and laying a Wreath, while Kate will be w/the other Royal Ladies (other than Princess Anne) watching from that balcony they usually are at?

It doesn't bother me that good-looking, popular people can draw attention to worthy causes. There are many problems out there, and I don't expect people to be well-informed on all of them. I'm not. So, if people like Will and Kate can draw more attention to THIS cause, I think that's great. The most recent conversation I had about Africa was not about the famine, it was about a fundraiser involving orphanages/schools for girls. The famine didn't even come up.

If I look at the main issues that are being discussed these days where I am: the economy (U.S. and world wide), the drought (in Texas), the upcoming election, Iraq/Afghanistan, Libya and other issues surrounding the "Arab Spring", issues with the school system....That's a lot right there.

I think most people know there are many problems in the world. This was an opportunity to shine a light on the famine in Africa.

Very well said, Erin :flowers:.

I think people like William and Catherine are essential to the promotion of world issues like famine, disadvantaged youth, people with disabilities, etc., because a lot of times the media and government choose to cover issues that are 'more important'. The public won't hear about the situation in Africa unless people were directly involved with UNICEF, or any other organizations that assist with relief. I know that there are so many things I'm not aware of, but because of my interest in royalty, I became aware of a great deal. These two are doing a great job, representing their nation and causes that deserve our attention.

Wow 6 months already?! They look as happy as the day they were wed at Westminster and hopefully their love lasts forever;) may they have many happy Years together;D::uk flag::

Very well said, Erin :flowers:.

I think people like William and Catherine are essential to the promotion of world issues like famine, disadvantaged youth, people with disabilities, etc., because a lot of times the media and government choose to cover issues that are 'more important'. The public won't hear about the situation in Africa unless people were directly involved with UNICEF, or any other organizations that assist with relief. I know that there are so many things I'm not aware of, but because of my interest in royalty, I became aware of a great deal. These two are doing a great job, representing their nation and causes that deserve our attention.

I'm confused by any negative reactions to this visit. The whole point of royalty (or at least the reason to maintain it) is to have people solely for the reason of representing your country in the best light. William and Catherine packed a few boxes, that's more than most people have done in their life or even in the last year. They both stated that they have friends who live in the are (though very unlikely to be suffering in anyway but still...) and it's close to their heart, hence why they went instead of any other British royal. Blame for the attention paid to Mary and Catherine's clothes or their interactions should be solely on the media who covered the visit, not W&C or F&M.

I agree with Erin9 that depending on where you live the drought in the Horn of Africa may not be on the top of your priorities or given the most of your attention. So this visit highlights a major problem for at least a few hours -- a few hours and a lot of donations that rescue work needs.

If actors and celebrities can use their starpower to advocate for important causes, I see no reason why two attractive royal couples can't use their status to do the same thing. For those of us here in the U.S. who remember the devastation of Hurricane Katrina in the South years ago, there was a huge telathon hosted by and including famous celebrities who were there to obtain donations for the rebuilding of the area and to bring in rescue food supplies and other relief. Had they not been present, I doubt the telathon would have had half the response it did. Jerry Lewis, the comedian, used to host his annual Muscular Dystrophy telethon for money for research into this terrible disease, with guest celebrities, breaking huge monetary records for the amount of donations received. These are means to a very worthy end, and just only two examples of the myriad events for which the famous use their celebrity to focus on terrible conditions across the world. So what William, Kate, Mary and Frederik accomplished together for UNICEF works for me.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom