Duke and Duchess of Cambridge Current Events 1: April 29-November 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Which brings us back to Catherine in the Hairdresser's window seat. No one but she could have chosen that seat.

I am sure more privacy would have been offered by the Salon and I am sure that her Protection Squad were less than enthused. However, she chose to sit, on public display, in the window, wearing hair curlers, by her own choice!

Catherine set the tone for the paparazzi and the public, so why then are we now wondering at the wisdom of photographers taking snaps of them merely "leaving" a gym. Sorry! It looks very much like that ship has sailed and she "Christened" it!

In my opinion you go too far. From what I can see of that photo taken within the hair salon it's not apparent just how close that seat is to the window. I think it's entirely possible that it's not particularly close to it at all, the photographer just managed to get exactly the right angle and a very long lens which enabled him to picture her. This would then give the impression that the chair was right at the window when in fact the depth of field was distorted by the long lens. Or maybe it was just an oversight? Or perhaps she just sat in the only free chair at the time?

You do not know that she chose that seat, nor that she was aware that she would be photographed in it. So to then imply that she's essentially given the pappz some sort of tacit permission to take any photo they like whatever she happens to be doing at the time is preposterous.

Course, if we didn't look at the pics that may dissuade the photogs from taking and publishing them. I am just as guilty as the next person of looking at the pics. Just sayin'.

I seem to recall that one other time Catherine was spotted at the salon and she was sitting in that same chair (it appeared). I think that is probably her stylist's station. I agree with the poster who commented on the long lens. I know that there were some pictures posted in the Monaco thread when the Princess Caroline and family were on Capri and one would have thought the photographer was right on top of them, but then a later picture clearly showed the same picture but from much farther away, clearly a long lens was being used and yet the earlier picture looked like the photographer was right in amongst the group.

I think it is grasping at straws to say that Catherine purposely wants to be photographed as that does not really appear to be the case.

Yea, I agree that it's absurd to insinuate that Catherine somehow wanted to be photographed by paparazzi. If that was the case, we'd be seeing A LOT more photos of her than we do now! And I doubt she'd have chosen to be photographed with curlers in her hair if she'd had a choice in the matter! She seems to be trying to maintain as much normalcy as possible in her life- a new normal, if you will. She's obviously aware her life has changed and that she has to take precautions that used to be unnecessary (like having a body guard and making sure that she isn't photographed with any male friends unless William is present, not attending nights out without him when it's likely that photographers will be there, etc) but she shouldn't have to give up everything she likes to do. Clearly she could have her hairdresser come to her home if she wished, but she's chosen to stick with her normal routine, and just not make a federal case out of it if someone happens to snap a totally innocuous picture.

Personally, I'm intrigued by the story that says she's considering taking on several arts patronages- that's wonderful, if true. Fits right in with her education and interests.

I think it is grasping at straws to say that Catherine purposely wants to be photographed as that does not really appear to be the case.
I wasn't actually saying that Catherine wants to be photographed, more that she seems determined to maintain the same(normal) life she had before. That means patronising the same hairdresser who has been doing her hair for years and probably using the same station but, before her marriage she was a private person. After, not only is she now a royal but in need of a Protection Officer. Worse still, she is News with a capital "N" and, if the photo was taken from inside as some have surmised, then her fellow patrons are not above making a quick buck and the same thing applies. Next time she goes there she sits in a more private, less exposed seat!

To be sure, the salon would do just about anything to accommodate her as it is a commercial coup to continue to be the Duchesses hairdresser with whom, I imagine, she has built up a happy and productive rapport, as we do, over the years.

To be honest, I don't think she would have been thrilled at seeing that particular photo of herself but this has exposed just one of the subtle areas of her life that is inevitably going to change regardless.

On the upside, the news that she has taken on her first Patronage, and that it's a family affair, is terrific.

Last edited:
I saw this on my twitter, and found it rather amusing. I think we all could have done very well in this category.

liltinglimes ll*ll
Okay, playing the William and Kate category on Jeopardy.

:previous:Was there really a Will/Kate category on Jeopardy???

I'm not a big TV-watcher, so I'm not sure. I saw that posted on my twitter, and thought it was rather amusing. If that really happened, then I'm a bit bummed for missing it. I think we all would have done relatively well in that one.

Thank you. This is amusing. Would love to know the questions that were asked/chosen.

I didn't catch all of it, but I remember one answer was about the wing on his wedding day uniform. :)

What is RAF, of course. ;)

I didn't catch all of it, but I remember one answer was about the wing on his wedding day uniform. :)

What is RAF, of course. ;)

I checked my twitter, and the person who posted about the category listed some other questions too. I think one was about the venue where him and Catherine got married (Westminster Abbey), and the other one dealt with the town that William and Catherine were now Duke and Duchess of (Cambridge). Fun stuff.

I'm sorry I missed that Jeopardy show. I'm sure a good portion of the questions would have stumped many a viewer other than us royal followers!:lol:

I'm sorry I missed that Jeopardy show. I'm sure a good portion of the questions would have stumped many a viewer other than us royal followers!:lol:

Oh, there's no doubt about that. My grandmother loves asking me about William and Catherine, but the funny thing is, she asks in such a way that it sounds as if I'm acquainted with them personally. I know she's worried about my lack of socializing opportunities, but this is taking it a little too far (even if it is very amusing :D).

Last edited:
Aw, tell your grandma not to worry - you socialize well enough with all of us fanatics here on the forum! I get that reaction too from my coworkers - they're interested in the goings-on of Will and Kate, but look at me quite bemused at my enthusiasm when I go into detail!!

Last edited:
Oh, there's no doubt about that. My grandmother loves asking me about William and Catherine, but the funny thing is, she asks in such a way that it sounds as if I'm acquainted with them personally. I know she's worried about my lack of socializing opportunities, but this is taking it a little too far (even if it is very amusing :D).

Aw, tell your grandma not to worry - you socialize well enough with all of us fanatics here on the forum! I get that reaction too from my coworkers - they're interested in the goings-on of Will and Kate, but look at me quite bemused at my enthusiasm when I go into detail!!
I get that reaction too ladies - whenever I go into detail about Princess Di! I am just thankful that there is a forum full of other royal fanatics!:lol:

I get that reaction too ladies - whenever I go into detail about Princess Di! I am just thankful that there is a forum full of other royal fanatics!:lol:

For that very reason m'dear, :TRFrules:. Anyway, enough thread-napping on my part.

BBCPeterHunt
Peter Hunt
Aides are insistent William and Kate will continue to use so called Boris bikes.
45 minutes ago via web​

RoyalReporter Richard Palmer
If someone has a picture of the bicycling Cambridges, it's going to be worth a fair amount.
11 minutes ago

Palace spokesman says William and Kate "occasionally use the London cycle scheme bicycles to undertake private journeys around London".
11 minutes ago

Bicycling monarchy: St James's Palace confirms William and Kate have been using London Mayor Boris Johnson's rental bikes to get around town
17 minutes ago​

Thank you Daria, hat was a very interesting article. It revealed a side of William I hadn't seen before.

I remember reading an article in 'Royalty' magazine about six years ago that dealt with William's graduation from St. Andrew's. He mentioned that he enjoyed a good debate and had a hard time admitting when he's wrong. I'd like to think that liking a good debate is still there, but the inability to admit one is wrong has lessened with age and maturity. However, I'm so glad he has enough spunk and confidence to speak up and not back down when he feels strongly about something. He's definitely a character, and would probably make a splendid conversation partner.

Now after saying all that, I hope this is what you were referring to. If not, then I feel like a really big idiot for putting up another word vomit.

Last edited:
^I remember last year how he said in Africa that he likes a good debate because alot of the excuses people(I'm guessing the men in the grey suits as Diana used to call them)come up with are not always legit and a bit ancient but he said something along the lines of sometimes he's wrong but if he has a point he will make it. Prob not those exact words but I'll see if I can dig up the interview tomorrow I'm just too exhausted right now.

What's wrong w/Chatalaine!?! They of all magazines in Canada *should* know better than to call her Kate Middleton. I'd even tolerate seeing "Princess Kate/Catherine" over seeing her referred to as she is on that cover...Yet again!!!

Grrrrrr!!!!

Sorry for the rant Gang, but Good Grief when are the Press going to get it right?

Thank you for both those articles, Daria - they reveal insights into Prince William and Kate that we see bodes well for the future. Wouldn't it be great if they actually had a hand in determining the succession laws? At least they can certainly voice their opinions and we can see that William has no problem doing that!

And, Tiggersk8, I agree - it is annoying to see articles and headlines that don't address Kate properly by her title. Blame it on the casual nature of society today, but this lady is now the Duchess of Cambridge and they can at least address her as Duchess Kate (even if that's not the proper way)! ;)

I remember reading an article in 'Royalty' magazine about six years ago that dealt with William's graduation from St. Andrew's. He mentioned that he enjoyed a good debate and had a hard time admitting when he's wrong. I'd like to think that liking a good debate is still there, but the inability to admit one is wrong has lessened with age and maturity. However, I'm so glad he has enough spunk and confidence to speak up and not back down when he feels strongly about something. He's definitely a character, and would probably make a splendid conversation partner.

Now after saying all that, I hope this is what you were referring to. If not, then I feel like a really big idiot for putting up another word vomit.

You were exactly on target Daria, no word vomit! I hadn't really given a lot of thought to how he dealt with all this stuff. It's nice to see that he doesn't just "do as he's told" and actually has his own ideas about things. IMHO, having his own opinion indicates he cares about his role and isn't just going through the motions. Does that make sense?

So glad I made some sense (as did you, Royal Newbie :flowers:). I always worry about saying something and sounding like I'm off my rocker.

I will agree with Tiggersk8, and all those who are annoyed with the media's lack of attention to details in terms of Catherine's new title. It's been almost six months, so there's really no excuse for repeatedly getting this wrong.

You're very welcome, Baroness of Books. Yes, their ability to see the positives of change and desire to move with the times will help them in our society, which is constantly trying to move forward. Speaking up is something that takes guts, and a lot of people feel that rocking the boat is not always the right way to go, and I'm glad that William (and Catherine) have no issues in that department. Will serve them greatly in the future.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom