Duke and Duchess of Cambridge Current Events 1: April 29-November 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Posts that aren't moving on as Warren requested have been deleted.

Time to MOVE ON.

In the spririt of trying to move one, could I try to help with a few background points, please?

I think that the only important thing is that Catherine and William took the trouble to make the visit. Unlike Charles and Diana in the early days of their marriage, William and Catherine have been keen for William to be a full time serving member of the armed forces for the moment. The consequence of this is that they have therefore taken the decision NOT to be full time working royals and have therefore performed very few public duties. The fact that they decided to visit those affected by the aftermath of the riots therefore shows, in my humble opinion, the importance that the couple attach to the sad events of the past few days.

Re expensive clothing: the fact that Royals wear expensive clothing, even when visiting poor neigbourhoods / deprived areas etc has actually been raised as an issue over the years. As various people have commented above, Catherine's clothes were [relatively] expensive. However, most working Royals [I think Princess Anne is sometimes an exception] do wear very expensive couture, and male royals' handmade Savile Row tailored suits are the equivalent of couture. Catherine's outfit was expensive, but, oddly enough, not AS expensive as a couture piece. The difference was that it - and its price tag - was immediately verifiable. Had the Queen been wearing a Stuart Parvin couture item, it would undoubtedly cost much more than what Catherine spent; the difference is that because it is unique piece, it is much harder - if not impossible - to discover what its EXACT cost would have been. And so I am certain that if the Queen had made the visit, no one would have mentioned the cost of her outfit, even though as couture it would have been more expensive than even high-end Designer.

The question of whether it is appropriate to wear expensive clothing in deprived areas has been discussed for more than a century so far as the BRF is concerned - it was ceratinly a huge issue in Victorian times amongst the Reformers, because the gulf between the haves and have-nots was far more pronounced then. There was no welfare state whatsoever. [I am guided by my American friends in what I say next, but I understand that the British Social Security system we have nowadays and our 'free at point of delivery to all' National Health System is far more comprehensive than current provision in America, and so even our British Poor and Deprived have more resources available to them than elsewhere]. There has accordingly been a tradition that British Royal Family members are not castigated for wearing expensive clothes - indeed, some social historians who have commented on this make the point that it is more patronising if the Royals 'dressed down', as well as perhaps sending an unintended message of 'we don't bother to get dressed up for the socially disadvantaged as they are not worth it'. My personal opinion is that there is nothing wrong in Catherine wearing her engagement ring. She has an expensive ring. Fact. It is surely ludicrous to try to conceal this fact. Look beyond the expensive clothes and the next question might be the much more uncomfortable one: Isn't it a bit insensitive to have a monarchy at all when there are pockets of poverty in areas of the UK. [Which is not my view]. So far as the class divide is concerned, there is a very intersting work of art that I saw at Royal Ascot, a sculpture in fact, commermorating the work that the Queen has done during her reign to try to bridge the gap between the Establishment [i.e. upper classes] and what is described as 'those from the traditional working classes' [i.e. the poor]. Compared with previous reigns, statistics show that there is [proportionally] just as much chance now of being a guest of the Queen or receiving an honour from the Queen whether one is from an Establishment or traditionally poorer background. At the start of the Queen's reign, the chance of an ordinary working person being received at at Garden Party or recieving an Order of the British Empire was practically nil. Nowadays, rank is no bar to invitation or investiture. Which is how it should be in my humble opinion.

Could I end by making a plea? I have only been a member of TRF for a few months but have had a mostly overwhelmingly positive experience here as a memeber. We all seem to come from many different parts of the globe and I daresay that some of us have very differing views. Please, therefore, can I echo people's calls for individual's views to be respected and responses made courteously, even if they differ - and perhaps considerably so - from our own views. This is particularly the case when politics are involved. Thank you.

Hope this helps

Alex

Last edited:
Alex,

As usual, thank you for providing some very useful information. Your posts help me understand (as well as admire and appreciated) United Kingdom even more.

I stay away for a few days, and after seeing the last pages. I'm glad I did.

If Prince William and The Duchess were to meet me, I would like them to look at their best!
I'm sure those that met the couple, chose to do the same!

damn if you do, dam if you don't!

Fascinating! The purpose of the duke and duchess' visit to Birmingham this past week was to show how the royal family, and thus the sovereign, is concerned about the well being of those affected by the riots. More specifically to console those who loss loved ones or their entire personal belongings or witnessed their businesses being decimated. Simultaneously offering on behalf of the royal family, and thus the sovereign, thanks to all those who assisted in controlling the fires, aiding people injured by the rioters, and protecting property from looters. And yes making a general visual assessment of the damage. However, this goal was thwarted, according to the opinions of expert attire assessors, who in general conclude that the etiquette displayed by the duchess demonstrated solely in her selection of her attire projected an air of disregard for the agony that many residents of Birmingham are currently suffering from. Fascinating.

Remarkable, how the weaving of a variety of threads into a particular pattern culminating in an item of wardrobe belonging to a certain individual in so choosing to adorn themselves with such item inflicts so much agony upon others. Poetic in fact.

It is settled...the item should be publicly destroyed and an official statement of apology should be made by the wearer and official papers outlining attire for HRHs to wear during public engagements should be published.

A little over the top? Whatever gave you that impression?

Last edited:
Fascinating! The purpose of the duke and duchess' visit to Birmingham this past week was to show how the royal family, and thus the sovereign, is concerned about the well being of those affected by the riots. More specifically to console those who loss loved ones or their entire personal belongings or witnessed their businesses being decimated. Simultaneously offering on behalf of the royal family, and thus the sovereign, thanks to all those who assisted in controlling the fires, aiding people injured by the rioters, and protecting property from looters. And yes making a general visual assessment of the damage. However, this goal was thwarted, according to the opinions of expert attire assessors, who in general conclude that the etiquette displayed by the duchess demonstrated solely in her selection of her attire projected an air of disregard for the agony that many residents of Birmingham are currently suffering from. Fascinating.

Remarkable, how the weaving of a variety of threads into a particular pattern culminating in an item of wardrobe belonging to a certain individual in so choosing to adorn themselves with such item inflicts so much agony upon others. Poetic in fact.

It is settled...the item should be publicly destroyed and an official statement of apology should be made by the wearer and official papers outlining attire for HRHs to wear during public engagements should be published.

A little over the top? Whatever gave you that impression?

I love it! LOL. Well said.

William & Kate visited Birmingham. They made many people happy. It seems like they boosted community morale. End of story.

At this moment, I am reminded of a Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother quote, when criticized by some because she dressed up and wore pearls to visit those Londoners affected by the bombing in World War II. To paraphrase it, "They would dress up to visit me in their Sunday best, why shouldn't I do the same for them?"

I disagree with the assessment that wearing jeans, a hoodie or something else. That too me says, you are so not that important that I didn't even get dressed up. Unless of course, she was going to participate in the clean up...and than that would be a distraction from the real work that needs to be done.

Do you think that Harry, William, Charles and/or Camilla wore a cheap outfit when they did their visits? While it probably wasn't appropriate to wear such an expensive outfit (unless its something she has already worn before), wearing something cheap wouldn't be acceptable as well. Than we would be hearing about that as well.

ETA: Catherine is fairly new to the game, in the future I am sure she will recognize that perception plays an important role. With the attention of the press so focused on her and her clothes, she will learn that certain name brands shouldnt be worn for certain events. She probably didn't think that they would be able to spot the designer outfits. If the outfit wasn't so expensive we wouldn't be talking about the cost but rather the look of the outfit.

I know you told us to move on but,you gotta love the Queen Mother for saying that! ;)

Dunno if this has been posted yet Haven't been around for a few days
Prince William and Kate Middleton's Movie Night Out : People.com

btw I've seen the snaps of them in the cinema they look so cute but I don't want to post them cause it just feels too creepy and an invasion of privacy but if you want to see them they're on twitter.

I've seen some stuff about this on my twitter. The pictures from the cinema showed them from behind and were a little on the blurry side. I think one provided the side view. Catherine was in a blue top (or maybe it was grey-blue). Whatever, the shade was nice.

Yup and they were at the concession stand and then there's the ones of them going through the back exit. I just thought it's pretty cool how normal they appear. Oh apparently the deal that night was a "two for one" deal so I guess you purchase a ticket and get the second free or something like that. I read it in another article.

Yup and they were at the concession stand and then there's the ones of them going through the back exit. I just thought it's pretty cool how normal they appear. Oh apparently the deal that night was a "two for one" deal so I guess you purchase a ticket and get the second free or something like that. I read it in another article.

Love the economizing factor. Glad they had a good night though.

Love stories like this; just your neighborhood royals hanging around the local haunts and yukking it up at the movie theater. :lol:

it's pretty ironic how they're considered 'economical' and then Kate will wear a $600s hat

Love stories like this; just your neighborhood royals hanging around the local haunts and yukking it up at the movie theater. :lol:

Ditto. It's great that they're getting this opportunity. They can get the rest and the recreation they have probably wanted since their wedding.

it's pretty ironic how they're considered 'economical' and then Kate will wear a $600s hat

Kate knows how to pull those purse strings tight when necessary and open them when the occasion calls for it. :)

:previous: What a thoughtful gesture! Imagine getting a Land Rover as a wedding gift. It makes me wonder what else the couple received; I'm sure not all gifts were donations to charity.

Last edited:
:previous: What a thoughtful gesture! Imagine getting a Land Rover as a wedding gift. It makes me wonder what else the couple received; I'm sure not all gifts were donations to charity.

From what I understood from the article, whatever gifts they received from people who are not family were given away. That's a very thoughtful gesture. Says volumes about their personalities.

I think by royal standards they are reasonably frugal or at least consider costs carefully, but I underdstand where you're coming from. Presumably they have an overall budget for official engagements etc and it will include money for clothes......maybe William forgoes a new suit so that Catherine can have a new hat LOL!!
In all seriousness though, I do wonder whether the hat maker is raking in the ££££ and $$$$ just for a hat!

I think by royal standards they are reasonably frugal or at least consider costs carefully, but I understand where you're coming from. Presumably they have an overall budget for official engagements etc and it will include money for clothes......maybe William forgoes a new suit so that Catherine can have a new hat LOL!!
In all seriousness though, I do wonder whether the hat maker is raking in the ££££ and $$$$ just for a hat!
As far as Catherine is concerned I think you can pretty well deep six the idea of a budget. These first few years are going to be very important for her as she is starting from scratch and Prince William has had his entire adult life to accumulate the essentials of "Royal Life".

Saville Row Bespoke;
  • Suits
  • Morning Suits
  • Tail Coats
  • Dinner Jackets
  • Uniforms
  • Shirts
Hand Made Bespoke:
  • Shoes
  • Boots
Jewellery:
  • Watches
  • Cuff links
  • Tie Pins
I would venture to guess that not one of the above items is "budget" or "economy" inspired and, to be honest, cost a bundle.

Catherine is in the very early stages of "creating" the "essentials of a Royal Life Wardrobe" with such staples as;
  • Shoes
  • Boots
  • Gloves
  • Handbags
  • Evening Bags
  • Hats
  • Fascinators
Then there are the actual clothes:
  • Dress Coats
  • Suits
  • Day Dresses
  • Skirts
  • Shirts
  • Under garments
  • Formal Evening Gowns
  • Semi-formal Cocktail gowns, etc. ad nauseum.
All of her costs are virtually immediate, which translates to spending on a large scale. Let's face it, the exact cost of every visible item of clothing she wears wings around the world wide net within hours of her being spotted and, in a lot of cases, we prefer the high end gear for our vicarious entertainment. As for the cost of the hats? You love it, you pay for it!!

As for the jewellery? We can attribute that romantically to her husband, thoughtfully from her in-laws and "messages" from the Queen and Prince Philip.

Last edited:
As far as Catherine is concerned I think you can pretty well deep six the idea of a budget. These first few years are going to be very important for her as she is starting from scratch and Prince William has had his entire adult life to accumulate the essentials of "Royal Life".

Saville Row Bespoke;
  • Suits
  • Morning Suits
  • Tail Coats
  • Dinner Jackets
  • Uniforms
  • Shirts
Hand Made Bespoke:
  • Shoes
  • Boots
Jewellery:
  • Watches
  • Cuff links
  • Tie Pins
I would venture to guess that not one of the above items is "budget" or "economy" inspired and, to be honest, cost a bundle.

Catherine is in the very early stages of "creating" the "essentials of a Royal Life Wardrobe" with such staples as;
  • Shoes
  • Boots
  • Gloves
  • Handbags
  • Evening Bags
  • Hats
  • Fascinators
Then there are the actual clothes:
  • Dress Coats
  • Suits
  • Day Dresses
  • Skirts
  • Shirts
  • Under garments
  • Formal Evening Gowns
  • Semi-formal Cocktail gowns, etc. ad nauseum.
All of her costs are virtually immediate, which translates to spending on a large scale. Let's face it, the exact cost of every visible item of clothing she wears wings around the world wide net within hours of her being spotted and, in a lot of cases, we prefer the high end gear for our vicarious entertainment. As for the cost of the hats? You love it, you pay for it!!

As for the jewellery? We can attribute that romantically to her husband, thoughtfully from her in-laws and "messages" from the Queen and Prince Philip.
Very insightful post, MARG!

:previous: What a thoughtful gesture!
. That's a very thoughtful gesture. Says volumes about their personalities.

Agree with you both! Typical of the couple....:) Makes me think of Di's quote, " I want William to understand that not everyone in the world drives a Land Rover..." Meaning that she wanted him to understand that there were a lot of people worse off than him, and he should use his postion to help them. I would say, yet again, here is proof ( if we did not know it already, and it is pretty hard not to notice) that William ( and Kate too) have taken this lesson to heart...

Last edited:
Kate and William spent this past weekend at Balmoral with the Queen and Prince Philip and Harry (for at least part of it). All of them were at Crathie Kirk yesterday attending a 9/11 service.

:previous:
BALMORAL CASTLE: Divine Service was held in Crathie Parish Church this morning.
The Reverend Dr. Stewart Gillan preached the Sermon.
Mr. William Henderson was received by The Queen when Her Majesty invested him with the Insignia of a Member of the Royal Victorian Order.
Mr. David Scrimgeour was received by The Queen when Her Majesty invested him with the Insignia of a Member of the Royal Victorian Order.

CLARENCE HOUSE: The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall this afternoon attended a Service at the September 11th Memorial Garden, Grosvenor Square, London W1, to commemorate the Tenth Anniversary of the terrorist attacks in the United States of America and were received by Her Majesty's Lord-Lieutenant of Greater London (Sir David Brewer).

BUCKINGHAM PALACE: The Earl of Wessex, Trustee, The Duke of Edinburgh's Award International Foundation, this morning departed Heathrow Airport, London, for Kenya and was received this evening upon arrival at Nairobi Jomo Kenyatta Airport by the British High Commissioner to the Republic of Kenya (His Excellency Mr. Robert Macaire).
Mrs. Rosemary Hamer is in attendance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom