Duke and Duchess of Cambridge Current Events 1: April 29-November 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
...After all, in addition to police brutality, her wedding (or the decision for the public to pay for most of the expenses in a year when 75% of the youth funding was cut in the areas where the riots erupted) arguably sparked the unrest.
I don't live in GB, but to say that the riots have anything to do with the Royal Wedding, is silly and grossly inaccurate!!! IMO. I don't think those rioting care anything about the Royals. And it was my understanding, HM picked up the tab for the Wedding...

Last edited by a moderator:
First off, that outfit was not flashy. It had gold buttons - big deal. It was navy and cream. That is more than appropriate in my view. By some of the comments you'd think she had shown up in a bright floral mini-skirt with a sequinned top.

And (gasp) there were pictures of her smiling. (The same could be said for William, Charles, Camilla and Harry on their visits too.) Kate generally has a cheerful countenance - her default expression is more smilely than not. That does not mean she didn't appreciate all that everyone had been through. It a picture of her talking to someone, she did indeed look very sympathetic.

Will and Kate are supposed to be lying low for the rest of the summer. Clearly, they thought that they needed to show support for the people of the area, so they 'came out of seclucion' for a visit. That's their job.

When they were in Canada, they used their day off to visit the devestated community of Slave Lake. It received a lot of coverage. People appreciated their effort.

I think that she is doing all that can be expected in her Royal role. People need to give her a break.

Tiggersk8 said:
Second........ *every* Royal lady dresses in designer clothes for the most part when they are out working/doing an Engagement representing the Royal Family. It's called looking good for the job and all of us have such a grouping of clothing in our closets. For some of us, that's sweaters, long sleeved shirts and pants or skirts. For Catherine and other female members of the RF, that's designer clothing.

Yes! And it seems to me Kate breaks out the big designers (aka McQueen...) when she's on official engagements and the (comparably) less expensive (for her) designers such as Zara etc....when she's private. I realize there is some overlap (i.e. The green DVF dress) but in general I think it's her way of saying ok now I'm a working royal/Duchess vs. Now I am just Kate,Williams wife.....at least that's my theory....

Last edited:
I thought they both looked great. I don't think the outfit was flashy it just seemed busy with all the buttons.

We don't even know how long she has had that skirt and blouse. It probably wasn't new. Just new to us.

:clap:Whats does it matter what she wears as least she is turning up and mixing with the people that have been affected by these riots...Well done Kate and Wills

...does anyone else think it's a bit weird to be so dressed up when visiting a poor area devastated by riots? Her outfit is McQueen and Prada, quite formal, dressy hair... doesn't match the occasion.
I agree. That outfit must cost several hundred euros, not appropriate at all. And she could leave the engagement ring at home. She doesn´t need to show it off even when visiting a poor neighborhood.

But the point of this situation is people are getting tired of the gap between the very rich an the ones who cannot get a job. The riots were not produced by people that only wanted to steal or damage, they were sending a message. Some analists speak of a "generation without hope". In such a context, I don´t think royals are really welcomed.

I agree. That outfit must cost several hundred euros, not appropriate at all. And she could leave the engagement ring at home. She doesn´t need to show it off even when visiting a poor neighborhood.

Leave the ring home? You're joking right? A new bride taking her ring off? I will guarantee you that is a thought that probably never ONCE crossed Kate's mind.

My son married last year in July. A recent email from my daughter in law was signed Mrs. Tara Esper. Why? Because she still can't stop feeling so good that she can say it, write it and proclaim it to the world. I would imagine that Kate would feel the same way. Besides, if she DID remove it, the hounds would be all over her screaming "Kate removes ring in fear of riot damaged area".

OK.. back to William and Kate. I would bet too that if someone went to the area they were in visiting and did a poll of what Kate was wearing, the response would be "um a skirt and blouse" or "a dress" or "think it was blue and white?" They didn't go to meet her to read what label she was wearing. William and Kate didn't go to the area to use it as a runway. Its our perceptions that are making different allegations on an event.

Remember folks too that this wasn't exactly a scheduled royal visit on the circular for months either. All of the Wales' took time off their own schedules to do this because they mostly wanted to.. not because they had to. That's what is important.

Fascinator's comments are so predicatable:lol:. To even suggest that the wedding sparked the unrest etc etc...absolutely ludicrous and shows lack of thought. btw, many involved in the rioting came from "well to do backgrounds".

Leave Catherine alone; she looks good and is doing a fine job.

And she could leave the engagement ring at home. She doesn´t need to show it off even when visiting a poor neighborhood.

Leave the engagement ring at home??? actually, why not take it one step further, why not leave William at home too....after all, they look "too much in love" with all their smiling and grinning:bang:

Ridiculous!!!:ermm:

Oh for crying out loud!!! Could we please get back to talking about William and Kate, which funnily enough is the actual reason for this thread? Not for attacking Kate for whatever twisted and stupid reason some have or to try and get their own agenda across, but to talk about this young couple who IMO have been doing an excellent job of things in the first few months of their Married Life.

I'm all for calling someone out for something *when* they do something that calls for it, but some of the postings in this thread are downright offensive and disgusting considering neither William or Kate have done that or anything close in the last few months. Enough already!!

The words twisted and stupid, or as sone other poster was so kind to say, ridiculous are quite disrespectful. I´m sorry some opinions about the sad events that happened in the UK bother some people here, but I´m not very fond of the flattering "they look so good", "what a nice outfit" comments. They are there for some reason other than being praised for their looks.

The words twisted and stupid, or as sone other poster was so kind to say, ridiculous are quite disrespectful. I´m sorry some opinions about the sad events that happened in the UK bother some people here, but I´m not very fond of the flattering "they look so good", "what a nice outfit" comments. They are there for some reason other than being praised for their looks.
In the context of the "Duke and Duchess of Cambridge current events" it is hard to seriously discuss an event when so many are running off at a rather weird tangent venting about who wore what and how much they liked or disliked the outfits.

It's not that they are disrespectful, rather that they are frustrated. Just a wild idea here. Perhaps it is seen as twisted, stupid or ridiculous because this is about the particular current "Event" and comments about dress, etc. belong on the fashion thread!

And when did I comment on the way the duchess is dressed, other than saying the outfit is not appropriate??? Comments like "the dress is so pretty" are by thousands, but the word inappropriate bothers. And this current "event" is about people who have been affected by riots? So what is so out of place in commenting about precisely the reasons why they are visiting them?? Some are really intolerant when royalty are not flattered but criticised.
I dont know if you have put in the situation of someone who does not have a job. It is a desperate situation for millions. I still don´t get what are they doing there other than continuing to promote the monarchy. If that is their job (I suspect it is), the Prada and the ring are inappropriate for me.

i think the outfit is great, but it's just not appropriate for the ocasion. it's after all a sad event that brought them there, so a more format, less "shiny" outfit would have been more appropriate (a plain black, white, grey, blue dress for example).
i have nothing against the outfit though which i think looks great, but being elegant is also being "in coherence with" the ocassion.

"What began as a gathering of around 200 protesters demanding answers over the death of Mark Duggan, who was shot dead by police on Thursday, culminated 12 hours later in a full-scale riot that saw brazen looting spread across north-London suburbs." Tottenham riots: a peaceful protest, then suddenly all hell broke loose | UK news | The Guardian
The fact they you're getting most of your news from the Guardian, a left wing rag written by bleeding heart liberals who believe that all our problems would be solved if the government handed these people a bit more money (even though we don't have anymore money) does not surprise me. A protest was hijacked by groups of people who had nothing to do with the protest. Those who were rioting were not part of that community and have no more interest in what happened to Mark Duggan than I do. They saw that the police were not acting to prevent the riots and saw an opportunity to 'acquire' designer clothes and electronics without having to pay for them.

I also wanted to make the point with regards to the clothes Kate was wearing. I'd bet a penny to a pound that William was wearing a much more expensive outfit than Kate was. The kind of suits William wears come from Saville Row and cost at least £3,000 each. That's before we get to the likely handmade shoes and the Turnbull and Asser shirt and tie. So, before everyone rakes Kate over hot coals please keep in mind that her outfit was likely quite restrained when compared to William's.

Well personally, I thought Catherine should have been wearing sackcloth and ashes. :ROFLMAO:

While some are busy taking the Duchess to task for what she wore, the people they met couldn't care less. They were just focused on the fact that William and Kate paid them and their communtiy a visit.

“At first Kate couldn’t believe 70 looters came in here. She asked twice – she said ‘70?’. Finally my dad said, ‘Yes, seven-zero came in’. Kate couldn’t believe it. I could see she genuinely cared. Kate was sad for us as a family.”
“Wills and Kate have made me so happy – my morale is so high I’m determined to keep the business going and not be beaten by the rioters.”
“The families were very were pleased William and Kate took the time to come and meet them. It shows they’re in touch with ordinary people.”
UK riots: Prince William says we must all fight back together on Birmingham visit with Kate - mirror.co.uk

Thanks for this link :flowers:. I found more quotes, not sure if it's a repeat or not, but I'll share them anyway. The point is, that the people who had a chance to interact with William and Catherine were touched by the fact that they cared and came out to show support. Well done yet again.

UK riots: Prince William says we must all fight back together on Birmingham visit with Kate - Mirror mobile

Jumping on the bandwagon about the rags.

The clothes.. NOT the press.

What is good here is that we do notice what the royals wear. I do not think its their intent that what they wear is the best but that its quality.

Someone please find me the link about the shoes Charles has worn for over 40 years?

Its the same thing they want to happen with where they go and why. Quality. Its NOT about fashion or the cut of the hair or the old shoes that are worn. Its because they are out and about and didn't drop droopy drawers or pick their nose that we find what they wear is something of note. We cover ourselves and people make rules how we should or shouldn't be clad.

When the clothes worn outrank the purpose I think there's something seriously wrong. Just my opinion of course.

The Raggedy Man

Thanks for this link. My faves:

Aged 16, fashion designer Alexander McQueen served an apprenticeship here and, while helping make suits for Prince Charles, would secretly scrawl obscene messages on the inside of the linings.

What do you suppose they are- "Liz Does Not Rule OK", "FU, Chuck", "One's Fly is Open"?

No wonder Charles wears his suits until they are coming apart at the seams (he is also likely to favour Gieves and Hawkes for suits and coats).

Ten pounds sterling for any man who can provide a picture of the PoW with splitting seams!

When the future King had his polo accident in 1990, T&A’s cutter, Mr Cuss, made Charles a selection of special, one-armed shirts with matching slings in the same material.

Do you suppose he still wears them and just doesn't take off his jacket?

Wow, things got out of hand very quickly.
Why is it that online forums attract the bitter and twisted and those pushing an obvious agenda while pretending they're not?
Why do some people choose to spend so much of their time and emotional energy in pursuit of the negative?

Rhetorical questions, where the context may not be so obvious now that many of the irrational, patronising, aggressive (while enjoying the attention) and off topic posts have been removed.

Thanks for everyone's (or most people's) patience. :flowers:

Warren
British Forums moderator

Thank you Warren. Last night and this morning, this thread was beyond anything that would be recognized belonging to any part of this fantatsic website. Sad and disgusting. Thanks to you and the Team for doing what needed to be done. :eek:)

Yes, thank you for interrupting. I admit that I get caught up in the heat sometimes, it's up to me to learn to ignore certain posts and posters.

Let's keep these forums healthy and discussion-worthy! :flowers:

She had on a skirt and blouse. If the press hadn't posted who made them you wouldn't know they didn't come off the rack somehwere. She looked very appropriate. Her shoes were simple pumps. Nothing fancy. I don't understand the sour grapes.

I spotted that her outfit was McQueen before the press did. The blouse was fussy and the skirt was covered in gold buttons: hardly her most simple outfit. It's been compared to the military coat that she wore when presenting medals, which was more appropriate for the occasion than this was.

As always, I will have a problem with her heavy make-up - for such a young woman, for any woman - and the heavy handed mascara - reminds me of Sarah Fergerson in her recent Australian interview - is this intense eye stuff a fashion now? Because I'm noticing it on other women in the camera's eye lately, too.

I do agree that she has dressed very 'flashy' - and could have 'dressed up' nicely but without the fashion being front and center. Her wardrobes are verging perilously close to 'wearing her' - being 'costumes'. She's learning, as someone said. She has yet to strike that balance of being fashionable and as Coco Chanel said: It is always better to be slightly underdressed. Dress shabbily and they remember the dress; dress impeccably and they remember the woman.

Yes, I completely agree. I think rather than making fashion statements she should focus on a more understated style, which will hopefully come with age.

Btw, I'm not sure what happened last night (I wasn't there) or who was involved but please don't think I have an agenda or I'm just hating on Kate. Being one of the most celebrated women in the world doesn't mean you're immune to criticism. Sometimes she gets her style so so right, and sometimes she gets it so so wrong. What annoys me more than anything is when you're in the minority and labelled as jealous or spiteful.

Yeesh, she really can't win with some people can she? She showed up, she looked nice, and there's no way on earth she can make everyone happy with what she wears.

I'm just glad to see them out and about

Not being here last night, I don't know what happened but reading through the posts I have a clearer picture. I agree with Hermione. This is yet another case of, "You're damned if you do, and damned if you don't." The critical issue is that the couple cared enough to make the effort to visit a riot-torn area which the residents appreciated.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom