Duke and Duchess of Cambridge Current Events 1: April 29-November 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Very well put :flowers:. I think there are times when photographers are downright intrusive, and this was one of those times. These two have given us a great deal of photos in the past several months, and therefore, have every right to ask that photographers (and public) give them at least a part of a day to take a walk and not be photographed. William's annoyed facial expression is quite appropriate. He has every right to feel (and to show) that he's frustrated with the way his and his wife's privacy is being intruded upon.

Exactly....:)

Yeah, miffed about having their picture taken.

Actually, that photo from the Telegraph shows Harry, Wills and Kate looking very peeved at something outside the Kirk. She looks like she's ready to spit.

Last edited:
I guess people see what they want to see. It looks like two photos merged together to me. Like the photo of William super imposed on the photo of Harry and Kate who walked behind him when coming out of the the wedding.

When the couple are in the park, they look like they are having a discussion or a moment of quiet reflection. Which is something I do when I am walking in a park.

If they were miffed about anything, I hope being home will make them feel better. I know how tiring "having" to do things can be.

I agree with other posters. Kate and William seemed fine until they caught sight of the photographer.

As for the Telegraph photo, the trio didn't look at all upset outside the church. The Telegraph just used one of the few photos where they weren't laughing and talking.

Getty Images - Unsupported browser detected

I usually lurk on these boards but felt the need to post regarding this discussion. The entire conversation regarding the recent photos is the exact reason that they never display any public displays of affection and have very rarely been photographed in the same frame in the 10 years that they've been together leads to far to much disection of "what's going on in this photo?" They were taking a walk in the park early in the morning, clearly having a conversation with each other (normal) and had their photos taken by paps hiding in a bush. I'm pretty sure anyone would be upset by that. Will has every right to hate the paps, he believes they played a role in his mother's misery and untimely death and he obviously does not want Kate to ever meet the same fate or have to go through the same nonsense that his mother did. Overanalysis never gets anyone anywhere.

Regarding the wedding photos, I think they all looked to be having a great time.

Sunny234....welcome to TRF!

I think you hit on a great point - William and Kate often show no affection in public (which has caused many to question their love for each other) for what I believe are the exact reason that you mention ---- an public discussion about the relationship. Can you imagine if they held hands all the time, and the one time they don't?

Cue the headlines ---- William and Kate don't hold hands! or something along those lines.

Zonk said:
Yeah, miffed about having their picture taken.

Yeah, looked like they were just out and about, having a normal comversation and they didn't look miffed till they realized they were being photographed.

I don't understand why this is being discussed as though fame is a rare affliction that effects just the two of them, and they are unknowingly stumbling along, surprised :eek: anyone would be interested in them.

Public outings garner attention from the public and William has more than ample private grounds if he wants a private stroll with his new bride.

There is nothing surprising or overly intrusive about a member of the press taking a picture of W&K walking, hand in hand, in a public park the day after attending a major event.

And please stop playing the Diana card anytime William has his photo taken. He's a big boy and Kate knew what she was signing up for. They were not being chased or harmed in any way.

I usually lurk on these boards but felt the need to post regarding this discussion. The entire conversation regarding the recent photos is the exact reason that they never display any public displays of affection and have very rarely been photographed in the same frame in the 10 years that they've been together leads to far to much disection of "what's going on in this photo?" They were taking a walk in the park early in the morning, clearly having a conversation with each other (normal) and had their photos taken by paps hiding in a bush. I'm pretty sure anyone would be upset by that. Will has every right to hate the paps, he believes they played a role in his mother's misery and untimely death and he obviously does not want Kate to ever meet the same fate or have to go through the same nonsense that his mother did. Overanalysis never gets anyone anywhere.

Regarding the wedding photos, I think they all looked to be having a great time.

Last edited:
Very well put :flowers:. I think there are times when photographers are downright intrusive, and this was one of those times. These two have given us a great deal of photos in the past several months, and therefore, have every right to ask that photographers (and public) give them at least a part of a day to take a walk and not be photographed. William's annoyed facial expression is quite appropriate. He has every right to feel (and to show) that he's frustrated with the way his and his wife's privacy is being intruded upon.

Also, the photographers and photo agencies have the luxury of taking a ton of pictures and then choosing which ones to make public. Reporters and editors get to pick which photos to put in their stories. If someone wants to write a story about Kate or William being annoyed and they have ten shots of both subjects looking unhappy, then one of the ten will wind up in the story, no matter if they also have ten or twenty or fifty shots of W and K looking happy.

There is nothing surprising or overly intrusive about a member of the press taking a picture of W&K walking, hand in hand, in a public park the day after attending a major event.
I agree with you completely.

What really does bother me about seeing these kind of candid shots (whether they are of Royals, celebrities, or other public figures) is that from them, people feel to overt need to speculate on others' private affairs using a few pictures or videos. Through this board in particular, in different threads about various royals, I have seen people making such bold statements about couples or families in respect to their personal relationships and feelings for each other. People are turning into walking/talking tabloids! But of course, they are public figures so people can say whatever they want about them. Everyone is entitled to share their opinions, but I just don't "get" how people feel okay making intimate judgements about other people (especially those whose lives are just seen through a lens).

I don't understand why this is being discussed as though fame is a rare affliction that effects just the two of them, and they are unknowingly stumbling along, surprised :eek: anyone would be interested in them.

Public outings garner attention from the public and William has more than ample private grounds if he wants a private stroll with his new bride.

And please stop playing the Diana card anytime William has his photo taken. He's a big boy and Kate knew what she was signing up for. They were not being chased or harmed in any way.

Amen to that. W&K have plenty of opportunities to be "private" if they want to. No need to stroll through a public park then in a city full of media people.

As Alice said, in Wonderland,

"A cat may look at a king."

And the (future) king may frown at a cat.

I'm pretty sure that I'm entitled to my opinion as you are yours so quite frankly there's no need for your tone.

I'm pretty sure that I'm entitled to my opinion as you are yours so quite frankly there's no need for your tone.

My "tone" was directed at the topic, not at you.

Sorry if that was unclear.

fascinator said:

. He's a big boy and Kate knew what she was signing up for. They were not being chased or harmed in any way.

In a way I agree.....as long as the photos are not too intrusive or inappropriate .....in a way I do feel worse for William bc unlike a celeb he didn't try to acheive fame but was born to it......

Who would royals be in today's world without media coverage? Nobodies.
And since the media isnt usually interested in private or public but only the people involved this comes to a downside of the enourmous privileges they enjoy. Overall not a bad deal at all.

Who would royals be in today's world without media coverage? Nobodies.
And since the media isnt usually interested in private or public but only the people involved this comes to a downside of the enourmous privileges they enjoy. Overall not a bad deal at all.

Can you explain that? I don't see how those two can be set apart.

And since William is not overly keen on the press, should he keep to his private grounds and keep his mouth shut and face on "happy mode" when on public grounds?

I think it is rather fatigue of the general attitude of the British press.

That is where opinions differ.

In a way I agree.....as long as the photos are not too intrusive or inappropriate .....in a way I do feel worse for William bc unlike a celeb he didn't try to acheive fame but was born to it......

Exactly, and some people here seem to imply that because of that he may not ever be grumpy about it. That is very black and white, imo.

Last edited:
Can you explain that? I don't see how those two can be set apart.

I wanted to say that the media will take pictures no matter if they are out and about for "private" or "public" reasons: if they stroll through a public park, there will be pictures, if they like it or not. If they dont want any pictures, they have to stay inside their walls or inside the vast private area that belongs to the British crown.

That is where opinions differ.
Where did you see them being chased or harmed in that case (when strolling through the park)?

Last edited by a moderator:
I wanted to say that the media will take pictures no matter if they are out and about for "private" or "public" reasons: if they stroll through a public park, there will be pictures, if they like it or not. If they dont want any pictures, they have to stay inside their walls or inside the vast private area that belongs to the British crown.

Where did you see them being chased or harmed in that case (when strolling through the park)?

Not necessarily chased or harmed, but bothered. I was simply stating the different opinions about this particular thing.

And since William is not overly keen on the press, should he keep to his private grounds and keep his mouth shut and face on "happy mode" when on public grounds?

No- he can frown if he wants to.

Not necessarily chased or harmed, but bothered. I was simply stating the different opinions about this particular thing.

If it was my own private time, and I wanted to take a walk in a beautiful park with my other half without being hassled by the press taking photos from bushes, I'd take a large black umbrella with me. If I spotted cameras, I'd hoist the umbrella in that direction. It would ruin any good photos.
The couple need to develop some easy creative ways to foil good photos

In the pictures I've seen neither William or Kate looks overly bothered about having their picture taken. The most I can see - if I look hard - is mild annoyance in some of the shots. Mostly, though, they just look like many other couples would if you took a random picture of them walking in a park.

I've noticed that William and particularly Kate are good at staying neutral when being photographed. I think this is probably the best way to handle the situation because what the paparazzi want is an emotional reaction of some kind - makes for better pictures.

Last edited:
And who knows, maybe it was simply the topic they were discussing that William was responding to. As another poster might have mentioned, we can't always affix emotions or try to interpret what we see in photos. Unless, of course, it's really obvious what they might be reacting to in the photo.

Last edited:
Considering how long both have been having their picture taken I'm gonna assume while they may not love it every second they're prob not annoyed much by it anymore or surprised and have learned to ignore it. I agree with other posters that the facial experessions are probably reactions to the conversation....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom