Duke and Duchess of Cambridge Current Events 1: April 29-November 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
exactly. But it's only a temp base, as the Office of the Duke remains, in name, St. James Palace. So I assume that the administrative staff continues to run their affairs from there. I wonder if eventually they will take PM's old apt, which is often mentioned as being liked by the Duchess. It's being renovated so maybe for them...? PM's apt is huge and it shares a garden with the Gloucesters' apt. I know because this guy I talked to once worked for the Gloucesters and he had a tiny room in their apt that overlooked PM's garden. He said the Gloucesters' residence is pretty small, compared to the others. I think he said PM's was THE biggest, and then the next biggest is the apartments 8&9 that were formerly home of the Prince Charles and Diana.

Finally not so down to earth? I thought Dutchess Kate was so much into the normal housewife stuff that servants were obsolete :whistling:
Jobs for the Jeeves: Kate and Wills advertise for royal servants for new London flat | Mail Online

From the way I read things, they are advertising for help for their London based home. I imagine that when they would be in London, it would be for specific reasons (family, duties, shopping trips etc) and it would be impossible to run the household and do what they need to do.

They still live simply when they are on Angelsy. It was never stated that they would never have help but they wished to not have any at the cottage in Wales. :D

From the way I read things, they are advertising for help for their London based home. I imagine that when they would be in London, it would be for specific reasons (family, duties, shopping trips etc) and it would be impossible to run the household and do what they need to do.

They still live simply when they are on Angelsy. It was never stated that they would never have help but they wished to not have any at the cottage in Wales. :D

Some peope will jump at anything.

CORRECTION from the Palace:

Palace officials have said that contrary to reports, William & Kate are only hiring for ONE position for their Kensington Palace apartment. Not four (so typical of the tabloids to sensationalize things). That position is for housekeeper/dresser. A dresser is not a stylist. His/her work will include cleaning & ironing clothes, not helping Kate with fashion. The couple will continue to have no staff in Anglesey. And this position appears only to be part-time... when the couple is in London.

More info: Prince William & Kate to Hire a Housekeeper-Dresser - Kate Middleton, Prince William, The British Royals : People.com

They will obviously need a person of that type to be sure that they're ready to go when in London. Are they still going to share an apt. with Harry. I would have assumed that Harry would have a part-time housekeeper already.

No they're moving into a new apartment in Kensington Palace... hence the need for a housekeeper. Clarence House had domestic staff while their new place won't

CORRECTION from the Palace:

Palace officials have said that contrary to reports, William & Kate are only hiring for ONE position for their Kensington Palace apartment. Not four (so typical of the tabloids to sensationalize things). That position is for housekeeper/dresser. A dresser is not a stylist. His/her work will include cleaning & ironing clothes, not helping Kate with fashion. The couple will continue to have no staff in Anglesey. And this position appears only to be part-time... when the couple is in London.

More info: Prince William & Kate to Hire a Housekeeper-Dresser - Kate Middleton, Prince William, The British Royals : People.com

A palace source explains, "The decision to take on one member of personal staff ties in with the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge's intention to move out of Clarence House, where they previously benefited from the help of the domestic staff."

Makes sense.

Thanks for the tip, Diarist...I have been wondering about whether Catherine would make an appearance at Royal Ascot, and I think that it's probable. After all, it's just a carriage ride and maybe a wave before going into the Royal Enclosure, so not too demanding for a new Duchess. We have a lot of events to look forward to in the next month!

A slight update to my rumour about Royal Ascot: Catherine is probably going to be attending on more than one day, but apparently William is not necessarily going to be there on all days. [Do you think that this means he will be working?] Please however remember my caveat - it is just a rumour at this stage.

Well, I am all set for Royal Ascot now. I have assembled my 5 outfits with 5 hats. My badge for the Royal Enclosure has arrived. Since we are allowed to take cameras with us now [for many years they were banned] I will try to take some good photographs. Whilst in the paddock last year I managed several good close-up photos [not 'good' in the technical sense, just 'fun snaps'] of The Queen in her carriage....I will try to capture Catherine as well.

Please fellow Royal posters, please keep your fingers crossed for some fine weather for next week. Before they remodelled Ascot Racecourse , it did not matter so much - we all used to sit under cover snuggled down on comfortable arm chairs on the first floor just along from HM Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother and if HM spotted us, she always used to wave to us; nowadays it is not so comfortable - no armchairs and alas, No Queen Mother.......

Nevertheless, I feel very lucky and very privileged.

Alex

A slight update to my rumour about Royal Ascot: Catherine is probably going to be attending on more than one day, but apparently William is not necessarily going to be there on all days. [Do you think that this means he will be working?] Please however remember my caveat - it is just a rumour at this stage.

Well, I am all set for Royal Ascot now. I have assembled my 5 outfits with 5 hats. My badge for the Royal Enclosure has arrived. Since we are allowed to take cameras with us now [for many years they were banned] I will try to take some good photographs. Whilst in the paddock last year I managed several good close-up photos [not 'good' in the technical sense, just 'fun snaps'] of The Queen in her carriage....I will try to capture Catherine as well.

Please fellow Royal posters, please keep your fingers crossed for some fine weather for next week. Before they remodelled Ascot Racecourse , it did not matter so much - we all used to sit under cover snuggled down on comfortable arm chairs on the first floor just along from HM Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother and if HM spotted us, she always used to wave to us; nowadays it is not so comfortable - no armchairs and alas, No Queen Mother.......

Alex

Good luck...!!! :wave::clap::photo:

Alex

How exciting! Crossing my fingers that all will go well. Looking forward to your commentary and pictures.

What did you expect from a comment at the Guardian? What is the bid deal? When in London, Catherine and William will have official appointments. That besides the fact that William is a full-working SAR-pilot and Catherine is getting her act together for these events. Plus the time travelling between Wales and London takes. In such a time-consuming life even very modern people look for help: for someone who cleans the kitchen after they departed for Wales and who presses their clothes before they arrive with just enough time to change clothes. It's not that a mask slips but that their day has only 24 hours and in London they have more important things on their agenda than doing the household chores. For that is not what we want of them, is it?

Kataryn said:
What did you expect from a comment at the Guardian? What is the bid deal? When in London, Catherine and William will have official appointments. That besides the fact that William is a full-working SAR-pilot and Catherine is getting her act together for these events. Plus the time travelling between Wales and London takes. In such a time-consuming life even very modern people look for help: for someone who cleans the kitchen after they departed for Wales and who presses their clothes before they arrive with just enough time to change clothes. It's not that a mask slips but that their day has only 24 hours and in London they have more important things on their agenda than doing the household chores. For that is not what we want of them, is it?

Well in all fairness although I'm not surprised they would hire a dresser/part time housekeeper they did make a big deal about not hiring help, which was a bit of a farce when they also have a housekeeper in Wales- but I guess by Royal standards it is little help but by normal standards (which they themselves ask us to judge by) that's 2 housekeepers. It's fine but a lot of normal plp do have a job, social stuff, errands etc that you mentioned and still clean their homes.

I am not criticizing them so much as pointing out that if they hadn't made such a big deal about not wanting 'help' then this hiring of a dresser/housekeeper probably won't be as big news........they can't have it both ways of being judged by 'normal' standards or by royal standards that's all....by royal standards they are normal but by normal standards they are very royal!

Well in all fairness although I'm not surprised they would hire a dresser/part time housekeeper they did make a big deal about not hiring help, which was a bit of a farce when they also have a housekeeper in Wales-

I wasn't aware they had a housekeeper in Wales, only a young local girl coming for some hours a week to help Catherine with cleaning. For me that's something else entirely. I had a time when I had to work very much where I had a housekeeper coming in doing the complete household for me. But that's different from having somebody sharing the work of cleaning windows, bathroom, kitchen.

A housekeeper is somebody who keeps your house for you while you do other things. That's not how I understand Catherine's life is like in Wales. Not that she does nothing in the household and someone else does it.

Is it permissible to change or alter's one position once you are privy to certain facts?

I ask that question because I get the feeling that people dont understand that perhaps Kate (in good faith) didn't think she would need additional help as a royal (other than the private secretary that she would be sharing with William and Harry). Since the wedding, I am sure the invitations and responsibilities of the Private Secretary (and whoever else works for William and Harry) has doubled as they are now handling mail, requests, etc for Kate as well. In addition, I don't believe that the Cambridge's have a full time housekeeper in Wales as well. I used to own a cleaning business, and we had plenty of customers who had us come in just to do a deep clean of their bathrooms and the rest of the house for example. They would do the light cleaning.

In addition, while she could handle her attire for her personal life and the few engagements she had while she was engaged, let's face it....things are starting to step up and she will be quite busy this week. And than there is Canada and the US...and suddenly she is aware that she can't continue on as before. And while she will not be a full time royal, one would assume that she will be picking up a patronage or two, so the Private Secretaries or whoever might need some assistance.

So I ask again...are we allowed to change our minds and opinions once we are privy to additional facts or is that not allowed?

Take note: William & Kate NEVER said anything about staff. They don't talk. Neither did the palace. So to say that "they made a big deal out of this" is definitely false and unfair.

This "no staff" story came from one of the tabloids, and it clearly indicated that they want to have no extra staff for their 4-bedroom farmhouse IN WALES. No one mentioned London, or the possibility of moving from Clarence House (which already has existing household staff). London is their "public side," where they run majority of their official functions and where their office is. But the media ran off with the story. Why? Because it was truly surprising to think that the future king and queen won't have staff. Especially considering Prince Charles' reputation. Most stories fail to mention the distinction between Wales & London. Although a few royal correspondents did say they will eventually need staff to manage their household -- we're talking about London palaces and estates. They need to. There's simply no way around it.

Yes, so far William & Kate's help is very minor indeed. I suspect it will significantly expand once they move into a proper (larger) London or country base and when children arrive. But still, it will probably be a much smaller team than previous generations.

And no, they don't have a permanent housekeeper in Wales. There's someone who comes in every once in a while (every 2 weeks if I remember correctly). That's about it.

Broad statements can (and will) come back to nibble on one's posterior. As for the couple not ever saying they would not have staff/servants, I read somewhere that 80% of rumors turn out to be true. It is fine to have ideals, but WillKat have to be aware of reality too. They're going to need help, and I have no problem with that. I do have a problem with them putting forth any appearance of being normal, as I prefer to view and admire them as royalty --- not normal.

Last edited:
BritishRoyals said:
And no, they don't have a permanent housekeeper in Wales. There's someone who comes in every once in a while (every 2 weeks if I remember correctly). That's about it.

Still in my view someone comes into to clean your house is a housekeeper....a live in maid is different.....

Now see I believed the we won't have any staff in Wales thing was very much official regardless of how it came out...William and Kate try to appear as normal as possible, I was merely pointing out that if they want to be seen as normal (which I think we can all agree they do) then they can't be surprised when plp say they aren't normal when stuff like this is written
As I stated I wasn't criticizing but clearly some here felt I was....

KittyAtlanta said:
They're going to need help, and I have no problem with that. I do have a problem with them putting forth any appearance of being normal, as I prefer to view and admire them as royalty --- not normal.

ITA- well said. I consider them down to earth Royals which I've reconciled to be in between Royalty and normal plp :)

Last edited:
They're going to need help, and I have no problem with that. I do have a problem with them putting forth any appearance of being normal, as I prefer to view and admire them as royalty --- not normal.

Exactly. They are not normal, but try to build on an image as "normal" which is - for me - quite hypocritical.

Exactly. They are not normal, but try to build on an image as "normal" which is - for me - quite hypocritical.

I dare say that if they were hiring an entire staff to handle their London lifestyle, then that criticism might be warrented. However, many of the upper class have far more than just a part-time housekeeper in one residence and a housekeeper/dresser in another. As far as Royals are concerned, they are extremely understaffed for their status.

The reality is that no matter how they may want to be low-key and normal, they can't be. They are Royals and William is second in line to the throne. As their public demands grow, so will their staff.

They are not building a image to fit your or my liking. How anyone take it's up to them.

Of course if one only come here to criticize, a story like that is a great opportunity to show up.:whistling:

and we know nothing about the personalities behind the bland exterior. In an age when everyone can express their opinion on everything to a worldwide online audience, we don't have the faintest idea what their values are. What are their political views? What music do they like? What did they think of the Britain's Got Talent final? We just don't know. Their facelessness is not only unsatisfying, but jarring in a world where individuality is so prized.

Obviously a writer who would much prefer someone like Fergie spilling her guts all over television..... but then, they would be giving even more fodder for the antiroyalist attitude. What a joke!! I could not care less about what they or anyone else thinks about Britains Got Talent, and as to their political views, now wouldn't THAT be ridiculous?

Last edited:
I'll just say this before the topic becomes exhausted (though it nearly already is): I believe this "normalcy" issue will be what the press will attack on over the next few years. Like everything else reported, the NORMAL MODERN NORMAL MODERN DOWN-TO-EARTH headlines quoted from sources and "friends" has just been twisted to the media's own advantage. They report how "modern" the couple is (constantly), so if they hire staff (can't wait for the nanny issue) the press can jump on it viciously!

Personally, I never really got that hypocritical vibe from William or Harry. I always remember their interview with Matt Lauer in which Harry said "within our private life, and within certain other parts of our lives, we want to be as normal as possible" To me, at least, he meant that they live their private lives in a state of normalcy, but know that in their public roles they need to live rather extraordinary existences. And yes, I think in today's royalty, the two inevitably mix!!

Just my thoughts. This isn't a matter that keeps me up at night (obviously lol), and all the whistling smiley faces in the world won't change that ;)

In my own opinion, I think that while in Wales, they're pretty much on their own without live in help. Perhaps on the days that they're away to London they'll have someone come in and do windows, mend the fence, chop down that dead tree over there etc. There's a big difference in how "help" is perceived. Sitting down in the evening to watch a favorite show on the television presents two scenarios. 1). They desire beer and pretzels so they ring a silver bell and order it sent in. (help) or 2) They go to the kitchen and get what they want for themselves and carry it into the living room (no help).

Living in KP is another whole ball of wax. Many times we've already seen Kate and William do engagements where there were more than one on one day. The dresser will be quite needed to ensure that Kate's outfits for all occasions are ready to go. I would imagine that in London, they'd be doing a bit more entertaining and I'm not surprised one bit that they'd be thinking of staff for the London home.

Reporters just love to nitpit away at any little thing that comes to mind. Its called getting your articles published. Kate could have said before marriage that she'd only wear blue after the wedding and there'd be a gazillion articles printed to point out the fact that 3 weeks after the wedding she wore *gasp* turquoise! Its the media for ya.

I agree, Super Baroness.

William and Harry know that they will never be like everyone else. When they talk about "normal", they mean as normal as possible for someone in their positions. And if you think about it, this is the way they were raised. It seems Diana and Charles really tried to bring a bit of normalcy into their lives (public school, amusement parks, trips to McDonald's, buying candy at the local store).

In my own opinion, I think that while in Wales, they're pretty much on their own without live in help. Perhaps on the days that they're away to London they'll have someone come in and do windows, mend the fence, chop down that dead tree over there etc. There's a big difference in how "help" is perceived. Sitting down in the evening to watch a favorite show on the television presents two scenarios. 1). They desire beer and pretzels so they ring a silver bell and order it sent in. (help) or 2) They go to the kitchen and get what they want for themselves and carry it into the living room (no help).

That's how I see it too. Their life in Anglesey seems pretty normal to me right now. I'm sure they're enjoying their last bit of privacy because it will definitely change once they move back to London.

Last edited:
While we wait for pictures of the couple, here are some updates:

On William and Catherine's table at ARK do- Elizabeth Murdoch, Anish Kapoor and Tom Ford. #royal #ark yfrog Photo : http://yfrog.com/h4drtxfj Shared by BBCPeterHunt

Hoping it doesn't rain http://yfrog.com/gyuq7iwj

#royal #Ark DJ Mark Ronson and surprise international band? Kings of Leon my guess. Liz Hurley and Jemima Goldsmith expected. Bill Clinton?

Liz Hurley, Jemima Khan & Crown Prince & Princess Pavlos of Greece expected amongst tonight's glitterati at ARK event #royal #kate

Last edited:
They have arrived
William and Kate arrive at their first offficial engagement since their wedding. She is wearing a stunning dress.

Kate in Jenny Packham evening gown at gala dinner in London.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom