Duke and Duchess of Cambridge Current Events 1: April 29-November 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
IMO the Queen's household would expect to be kept in the loop because QEII is the head of 'The Firm' and everything William and Kate do on these trips reflects on the monarchy.
On a personal level I could see William's grandmother being interested and hoping things go well for the young couple. But I actually don't think the Queen would be thinking about it in a Charles versus William kind of way.

well... I've never really looked at it as Charles vs. William kind of thing either but I think facts are facts and that most likely The Firm's popularity is unlikely to increase much when Charles is King and like it or not.. I doubt if the Firm would ever go away but countries like Australia could very well dump the monarchy and go full republic and these days they don't need much reason.

Judging by the popularity of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, I think that most people (if they think of the Royals at all) would go for the best-looking one(s). This may imply that the youngest ones are the most attractive ones - although that's not necessarily so.

There is no need for panic - once the Cambridges start to breed, all will be well, and all will be well, and all manner of things will be well......

They are able to find a common ground. Doing the tours and engagements without being too much, especially for Catherine.
The BRF is in a very good position now, after the wedding, and must be aware of that. It would be foolish to not put the couple's popularity to good use.
It will be a balance that will need to be define, as said by William during the engagement interview, they have learn with the mistakes done in the past.

Anyone know the reason for their trip to the U.S.? I get Canada. I heard charity reasons (for william's charities) but is that right.

I heard the Foreign Office asked them to go. I don't know why, but California has one of the top 10 economies in the world, so it's never bad to establish ties. *Shrugs*

I don't like rumours normally, but I will pass this one on because I think that people here might be interested: Catherine is apparently going to attend Royal Ascot on the Thursday of the meeting [Gold Cup day.] Apparently her parents have also received a Royal Ascot invitation and are expected to be in the carriage procession.

Please note my caveat above - it is only what I have been told. Certainly, the father of the Countess of Wessex has been included in the carriage procession in the past, and so it does not seem outside the realms of possibility.

Diarist

I don't like rumours normally, but I will pass this one on because I think that people here might be interested: Catherine is apparently going to attend Royal Ascot on the Thursday of the meeting [Gold Cup day.] Apparently her parents have also received a Royal Ascot invitation and are expected to be in the carriage procession.

Please note my caveat above - it is only what I have been told. Certainly, the father of the Countess of Wessex has been included in the carriage procession in the past, and so it does not seem outside the realms of possibility.

Diarist

Thanks for the tip, Diarist...I have been wondering about whether Catherine would make an appearance at Royal Ascot, and I think that it's probable. After all, it's just a carriage ride and maybe a wave before going into the Royal Enclosure, so not too demanding for a new Duchess. We have a lot of events to look forward to in the next month!

Tnks Diarist,
the Royal Ascot is always a fun event to follow. If Catherine happens to attend even better. June should be a busy month.

i agree with those that like the fact that catherine is being eased in. william is being very protective and i like that.

I think Ascot would be a great opportunity for Catherine's first outing as DOC.

I think Ascot would be a great opportunity for Catherine's first outing as DOC.

Do you think its possible she'll ask Beatrice for advice on what hat to wear for the occaison? (ducks for cover). :D

Schedule of William and Kate in LA have been released by a preach of protocole by CBS. Here it is.

WILLS and Kate are to shun Hollywood’s gold-paved streets for a trip to Los Angeles’ legendary Skid Row next month, it emerged yesterday.

#bodycopy a { font-size: 12px; }

The downtown district – home to an estimated 8,000 down and outs – is said to be one of the most dangerous neighbourhoods in the US.

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge – amid massive security – are due to visit a mission at the heart of the four-square-mile makeshift town of tents and cardboard boxes from where Richard Ramirez, the Night Stalker, claimed most of his 14 victims.

Media charity expert Mike Raia said: “Supporting inner city outreach causes is one thing but actually setting foot in Skid Row is a very brave move by the young royals.

“Parts of it are extremely squalid and dangerous. Seeing the army of vagrants and crazies who exist side by side is definitely not for the faint-hearted.”

In Britain, William is patron of the homelessness charity Centrepoint and once slept rough in a cardboard box on London’s streets to help highlight the care group’s work.

“It’s something his mother Princess Diana cared passionately about and one of the issues he really cares about,” explained a family friend yesterday.

Details of the royal couple’s LA diary were leaked on American TV news giant CBS’s website – and then hastily withdrawn.

Last night a St James’s Palace spokeswoman would only say: “We can’t comment on anything about their itinerary in the USA.”

Other details leaked by the network include a charity polo match at the Santa Barbara Polo Club where William will play for a local side and a black-tie dinner and champagne reception with Bafta, to promote the British film industry.

William and Kate will also be guests at a meal with political bigwigs at the Beverly Hilton on their first night in town and will end the tour with a star-studded bash at Sony Studios, understood to be hosted by producer Steve Tisch.

Last night CBS refused to discuss why they had leaked the royal couple’s schedule but a spokesman admitted: “There may have been a protocol breach.”

Yesterday, organisations working with the homeless in LA praised the couple’s decision.

Kate McCubbin, a volunteer helper at two missions and a free health clinic, said: “It might not be a ticker-tape parade and there sure won’t be any street parties. But it’s magical and a minor miracle that William and Kate are turning their attention to people who really need help.

“We’re not just talking about people who are down on their luck. We are talking about the hardcore homeless who are at rock bottom in the world.”

And a Los Angeles Police Department Gang Squad officer – who patrol the district – said: “Hats off to William and Kate. They are not only doing a brave thing but also a very noble thing. They will shine a light on people whose plight is largely ignored.

“The royals simply being there, even briefly, might inspire regular people to help with donations to the many missions that struggle to cope.”

But he added: “As far as regular tourists are concerned, my advice is simple – don’t go there.”

Rosapru and her scoops, thank you!
I've seen in a TV news thing about this part of LA. Is hard to imagine one of the biggest and richest cities with a place like that. For what I remember it has to do a lot about drug use, so sad. Anyways if true that certainly would be surprising.
The other events seem like what we could expect, polo match , gala event.
This and the next month will be a very exciting one as well. and I though we would only see them during the Trooping of the colors.

I don't think so. Something 'funny' about this supposed 'breach'. For one, such a place (as described) does not exist - in 'downtown LA' (where I live). Curious. Curious 'leak'.

Schedule of William and Kate in LA have been released by a preach of protocole by CBS. Here it is.

WILLS and Kate are to shun Hollywood’s gold-paved streets for a trip to Los Angeles’ legendary Skid Row next month, it emerged yesterday.

#bodycopy a { font-size: 12px; }

The downtown district – home to an estimated 8,000 down and outs – is said to be one of the most dangerous neighbourhoods in the US.

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge – amid massive security – are due to visit a mission at the heart of the four-square-mile makeshift town of tents and cardboard boxes from where Richard Ramirez, the Night Stalker, claimed most of his 14 victims.

Media charity expert Mike Raia said: “Supporting inner city outreach causes is one thing but actually setting foot in Skid Row is a very brave move by the young royals.

“Parts of it are extremely squalid and dangerous. Seeing the army of vagrants and crazies who exist side by side is definitely not for the faint-hearted.”

In Britain, William is patron of the homelessness charity Centrepoint and once slept rough in a cardboard box on London’s streets to help highlight the care group’s work.

“It’s something his mother Princess Diana cared passionately about and one of the issues he really cares about,” explained a family friend yesterday.

Details of the royal couple’s LA diary were leaked on American TV news giant CBS’s website – and then hastily withdrawn.

Last night a St James’s Palace spokeswoman would only say: “We can’t comment on anything about their itinerary in the USA.”

Other details leaked by the network include a charity polo match at the Santa Barbara Polo Club where William will play for a local side and a black-tie dinner and champagne reception with Bafta, to promote the British film industry.

William and Kate will also be guests at a meal with political bigwigs at the Beverly Hilton on their first night in town and will end the tour with a star-studded bash at Sony Studios, understood to be hosted by producer Steve Tisch.

Last night CBS refused to discuss why they had leaked the royal couple’s schedule but a spokesman admitted: “There may have been a protocol breach.”

Yesterday, organisations working with the homeless in LA praised the couple’s decision.

Kate McCubbin, a volunteer helper at two missions and a free health clinic, said: “It might not be a ticker-tape parade and there sure won’t be any street parties. But it’s magical and a minor miracle that William and Kate are turning their attention to people who really need help.

“We’re not just talking about people who are down on their luck. We are talking about the hardcore homeless who are at rock bottom in the world.”

And a Los Angeles Police Department Gang Squad officer – who patrol the district – said: “Hats off to William and Kate. They are not only doing a brave thing but also a very noble thing. They will shine a light on people whose plight is largely ignored.

“The royals simply being there, even briefly, might inspire regular people to help with donations to the many missions that struggle to cope.”

But he added: “As far as regular tourists are concerned, my advice is simple – don’t go there.”

Last edited:
Prince Harry to teach Duchess to fly - Telegraph

Prince Harry to teach Duchess to fly

Prince Harry is to give the Duchess of Cambridge flying lessons as she settles down to married life with her husband Prince William in Anglesey, it was reported

Duchess of Cambridge trained up for 3 big tests | The Sun |News

"By DUNCAN LARCOMBE, Royal Editor

THE Duchess of Cambridge is being secretly coached for her major public debut as a member of the Royal Family next weekend.
Newlywed Kate, 29, will appear at THREE set-piece events, starting with the Queen's official birthday celebrations on Saturday.

She will take her place alongside Her Majesty at the Trooping of the Colour, where Prince William will parade on horseback.

On Sunday, Kate will be at the official service to mark Prince Philip's 90th birthday at St George's Chapel, Windsor. She will be with senior Royals in Windsor again the next day - for the annual Order of the Garter ceremony."

Duke and Duchess of Cambridge advertise for household staff - Telegraph

Duke and Duchess of Cambridge advertise for household staff

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge are advertising for household staff to help them cope with the strain of public life after a hectic first few weeks of marriage.

It was only a matter of time they tarted asking for help, once in a bigger house/palace with official duties, it's only right they have help or nothing would get done around.

It sounds like they are only being advertised internally at the moment.

"Duchess kate" did not said she never would have house staff, if I can recall. What was released is that in their house in Wales, there wasn't any plan to hire additional help.

But then one can always read something and interpreter for their own liking....

Last edited:
Finally not so down to earth? I thought Dutchess Kate was so much into the normal housewife stuff that servants were obsolete :whistling:
Jobs for the Jeeves: Kate and Wills advertise for royal servants for new London flat | Mail Online

given the economic situation around the world and the level of popularity that they have. Those jobs will get thousands of applicants... They will have no problems getting the positions filled... so at least someone will have a job. I try to look at the upside.

Where can people apply for these jobs? They didn't write any address.

the article mentions that the palaces promote from within for the best positions, which this is. however, the buckingham palace website has job postings for everything from the giftshop to household staff.:flowers:

Interestingly, staff for the Duke and Duchess are only required for their London home - from where they are more likely to carry out official duties - and things will remain the same in Anglesey. This is a good balance between official work and private life and will enable them to properly prepare for official duties when in London.

.. in Wales she is playing houswife - when in London, they will have lots of engagments to perform .. so I can see why they need assistance...

- cosy in Wales; official in London - I can understand that concept.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom