The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 08:22 AM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
Duke and Duchess of Cambridge advertise for household staff - Telegraph

Duke and Duchess of Cambridge advertise for household staff

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge are advertising for household staff to help them cope with the strain of public life after a hectic first few weeks of marriage.
It was only a matter of time they tarted asking for help, once in a bigger house/palace with official duties, it's only right they have help or nothing would get done around.

Old 06-07-2011, 09:23 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
Duke and Duchess of Cambridge advertise for household staff - Telegraph

Duke and Duchess of Cambridge advertise for household staff

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge are advertising for household staff to help them cope with the strain of public life after a hectic first few weeks of marriage.

Where can people apply for these jobs? They didn't write any address.

Old 06-07-2011, 09:26 AM
Nobility

It sounds like they are only being advertised internally at the moment.
Old 06-07-2011, 09:42 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Finally not so down to earth? I thought Dutchess Kate was so much into the normal housewife stuff that servants were obsolete
Jobs for the Jeeves: Kate and Wills advertise for royal servants for new London flat | Mail Online
Old 06-07-2011, 10:02 AM
Serene Highness

"Duchess kate" did not said she never would have house staff, if I can recall. What was released is that in their house in Wales, there wasn't any plan to hire additional help.

But then one can always read something and interpreter for their own liking....
There's not much of a difference between a stadium full of cheering fans and an angry crowd screaming abuse at you. They're both just making a lot of noise. How you take it is up to you. Convince yourself they're cheering for you. You do that, and someday, they will - Sue S.
Old 06-07-2011, 10:26 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
Finally not so down to earth? I thought Dutchess Kate was so much into the normal housewife stuff that servants were obsolete
Jobs for the Jeeves: Kate and Wills advertise for royal servants for new London flat | Mail Online

given the economic situation around the world and the level of popularity that they have. Those jobs will get thousands of applicants... They will have no problems getting the positions filled... so at least someone will have a job. I try to look at the upside.
Old 06-07-2011, 10:32 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by madrid View Post
Where can people apply for these jobs? They didn't write any address.
the article mentions that the palaces promote from within for the best positions, which this is. however, the buckingham palace website has job postings for everything from the giftshop to household staff.
Old 06-07-2011, 10:35 AM
Super Moderator

Interestingly, staff for the Duke and Duchess are only required for their London home - from where they are more likely to carry out official duties - and things will remain the same in Anglesey. This is a good balance between official work and private life and will enable them to properly prepare for official duties when in London.
Old 06-07-2011, 10:37 AM
Royal Highness

https://atsv7.wcn.co.uk/search_engin...c2VyY29kZT0wJg==

here's the link to the careers page. no sign of the posting so it looks like insiders have first opportunity. makes sense.
Old 06-07-2011, 10:38 AM
Courtier

.. in Wales she is playing houswife - when in London, they will have lots of engagments to perform .. so I can see why they need assistance...

- cosy in Wales; official in London - I can understand that concept.
Old 06-07-2011, 10:44 AM

exactly. But it's only a temp base, as the Office of the Duke remains, in name, St. James Palace. So I assume that the administrative staff continues to run their affairs from there. I wonder if eventually they will take PM's old apt, which is often mentioned as being liked by the Duchess. It's being renovated so maybe for them...? PM's apt is huge and it shares a garden with the Gloucesters' apt. I know because this guy I talked to once worked for the Gloucesters and he had a tiny room in their apt that overlooked PM's garden. He said the Gloucesters' residence is pretty small, compared to the others. I think he said PM's was THE biggest, and then the next biggest is the apartments 8&9 that were formerly home of the Prince Charles and Diana.
Old 06-07-2011, 11:58 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
From the way I read things, they are advertising for help for their London based home. I imagine that when they would be in London, it would be for specific reasons (family, duties, shopping trips etc) and it would be impossible to run the household and do what they need to do.

They still live simply when they are on Angelsy. It was never stated that they would never have help but they wished to not have any at the cottage in Wales.
Old 06-07-2011, 12:22 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
From the way I read things, they are advertising for help for their London based home. I imagine that when they would be in London, it would be for specific reasons (family, duties, shopping trips etc) and it would be impossible to run the household and do what they need to do.

They still live simply when they are on Angelsy. It was never stated that they would never have help but they wished to not have any at the cottage in Wales.
Some peope will jump at anything.
Old 06-07-2011, 12:25 PM
Serene Highness

On that note
Here is a show about Royal Staff.

and

The part with Paul,the butler, really gets on my nerves! (what a duche!)
I found interesting , especially now, and allows us to better understand why William is so keen on not having a huge entourage.
There's not much of a difference between a stadium full of cheering fans and an angry crowd screaming abuse at you. They're both just making a lot of noise. How you take it is up to you. Convince yourself they're cheering for you. You do that, and someday, they will - Sue S.
Old 06-07-2011, 01:23 PM
Aristocracy

CORRECTION from the Palace:

Palace officials have said that contrary to reports, William & Kate are only hiring for ONE position for their Kensington Palace apartment. Not four (so typical of the tabloids to sensationalize things). That position is for housekeeper/dresser. A dresser is not a stylist. His/her work will include cleaning & ironing clothes, not helping Kate with fashion. The couple will continue to have no staff in Anglesey. And this position appears only to be part-time... when the couple is in London.

More info: Prince William & Kate to Hire a Housekeeper-Dresser - Kate Middleton, Prince William, The British Royals : People.com
Old 06-07-2011, 02:01 PM
Heir Apparent

They will obviously need a person of that type to be sure that they're ready to go when in London. Are they still going to share an apt. with Harry. I would have assumed that Harry would have a part-time housekeeper already.
Old 06-07-2011, 02:23 PM
Aristocracy

No they're moving into a new apartment in Kensington Palace... hence the need for a housekeeper. Clarence House had domestic staff while their new place won't
Old 06-07-2011, 02:47 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritishRoyals View Post
CORRECTION from the Palace:

Palace officials have said that contrary to reports, William & Kate are only hiring for ONE position for their Kensington Palace apartment. Not four (so typical of the tabloids to sensationalize things). That position is for housekeeper/dresser. A dresser is not a stylist. His/her work will include cleaning & ironing clothes, not helping Kate with fashion. The couple will continue to have no staff in Anglesey. And this position appears only to be part-time... when the couple is in London.

More info: Prince William & Kate to Hire a Housekeeper-Dresser - Kate Middleton, Prince William, The British Royals : People.com
A palace source explains, "The decision to take on one member of personal staff ties in with the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge's intention to move out of Clarence House, where they previously benefited from the help of the domestic staff."

Makes sense.
Old 06-07-2011, 06:41 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mia_mae View Post
On that note
Here is a show about Royal Staff.

and

The part with Paul,the butler, really gets on my nerves! (what a duche!)
I found interesting , especially now, and allows us to better understand why William is so keen on not having a huge entourage.
Thank you for posting this. A very interesting documentary.
Old 06-07-2011, 07:29 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsorgirl View Post
Thanks for the tip, Diarist...I have been wondering about whether Catherine would make an appearance at Royal Ascot, and I think that it's probable. After all, it's just a carriage ride and maybe a wave before going into the Royal Enclosure, so not too demanding for a new Duchess. We have a lot of events to look forward to in the next month!

A slight update to my rumour about Royal Ascot: Catherine is probably going to be attending on more than one day, but apparently William is not necessarily going to be there on all days. [Do you think that this means he will be working?] Please however remember my caveat - it is just a rumour at this stage.

Well, I am all set for Royal Ascot now. I have assembled my 5 outfits with 5 hats. My badge for the Royal Enclosure has arrived. Since we are allowed to take cameras with us now [for many years they were banned] I will try to take some good photographs. Whilst in the paddock last year I managed several good close-up photos [not 'good' in the technical sense, just 'fun snaps'] of The Queen in her carriage....I will try to capture Catherine as well.

Please fellow Royal posters, please keep your fingers crossed for some fine weather for next week. Before they remodelled Ascot Racecourse , it did not matter so much - we all used to sit under cover snuggled down on comfortable arm chairs on the first floor just along from HM Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother and if HM spotted us, she always used to wave to us; nowadays it is not so comfortable - no armchairs and alas, No Queen Mother.......

Nevertheless, I feel very lucky and very privileged.

Alex

Closed Thread