The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-03-2011, 12:01 PM
Nobility

It doesn't bother me that good-looking, popular people can draw attention to worthy causes. There are many problems out there, and I don't expect people to be well-informed on all of them. I'm not. So, if people like Will and Kate can draw more attention to THIS cause, I think that's great. The most recent conversation I had about Africa was not about the famine, it was about a fundraiser involving orphanages/schools for girls. The famine didn't even come up.

If I look at the main issues that are being discussed these days where I am: the economy (U.S. and world wide), the drought (in Texas), the upcoming election, Iraq/Afghanistan, Libya and other issues surrounding the "Arab Spring", issues with the school system....That's a lot right there.

I think most people know there are many problems in the world. This was an opportunity to shine a light on the famine in Africa.

Old 11-04-2011, 11:14 AM
Courtier

I agree with you 100% Erin,you hit the nail on the head ....

Old 11-04-2011, 12:41 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

Kate and William will be attending the Cenotaph Remembrance Day Service on November 13th.

The Prince of Wales - Sunday 13th November 2011

So they'll be at events twice next week - The dinner and reception on the 10th and then the Service on the 13th.

Good post, Erin9.
Old 11-04-2011, 12:51 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by soapstar View Post
Kate and William will be attending the Cenotaph Remembrance Day Service on November 13th.

The Prince of Wales - Sunday 13th November 2011
It's no surprise that they're attending it would have been a disaster if they hadn't IMO.
Old 11-04-2011, 01:17 PM
Nobility

Does anyone know if William and Catherine will also attend the Festival of Remembrance at the Royal Albert Hall on Saturday evening on November 12th?
Old 11-04-2011, 02:24 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendrik-Jan77 View Post
Does anyone know if William and Catherine will also attend the Festival of Remembrance at the Royal Albert Hall on Saturday evening on November 12th?
Doubtful as it's not on the calender. It is reported that, QE2, Prince Philip, Princess Anne, The Duke of Duchess of Gloucester, The Duke of Kent and Princess Alexandra will attend.
Old 11-04-2011, 03:09 PM
Heir Presumptive

Very well said Erin and Thank You!!

I'm assuming William will be in Uniform and laying a Wreath, while Kate will be w/the other Royal Ladies (other than Princess Anne) watching from that balcony they usually are at?
Old 11-04-2011, 04:05 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin9 View Post
It doesn't bother me that good-looking, popular people can draw attention to worthy causes. There are many problems out there, and I don't expect people to be well-informed on all of them. I'm not. So, if people like Will and Kate can draw more attention to THIS cause, I think that's great. The most recent conversation I had about Africa was not about the famine, it was about a fundraiser involving orphanages/schools for girls. The famine didn't even come up.

If I look at the main issues that are being discussed these days where I am: the economy (U.S. and world wide), the drought (in Texas), the upcoming election, Iraq/Afghanistan, Libya and other issues surrounding the "Arab Spring", issues with the school system....That's a lot right there.

I think most people know there are many problems in the world. This was an opportunity to shine a light on the famine in Africa.
Very well said, Erin .

I think people like William and Catherine are essential to the promotion of world issues like famine, disadvantaged youth, people with disabilities, etc., because a lot of times the media and government choose to cover issues that are 'more important'. The public won't hear about the situation in Africa unless people were directly involved with UNICEF, or any other organizations that assist with relief. I know that there are so many things I'm not aware of, but because of my interest in royalty, I became aware of a great deal. These two are doing a great job, representing their nation and causes that deserve our attention.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 11-04-2011, 04:21 PM
Serene Highness

Wow 6 months already?! They look as happy as the day they were wed at Westminster and hopefully their love lasts forever may they have many happy Years together;D::uk flag::
Old 11-04-2011, 05:09 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daria_S View Post
Very well said, Erin .

I think people like William and Catherine are essential to the promotion of world issues like famine, disadvantaged youth, people with disabilities, etc., because a lot of times the media and government choose to cover issues that are 'more important'. The public won't hear about the situation in Africa unless people were directly involved with UNICEF, or any other organizations that assist with relief. I know that there are so many things I'm not aware of, but because of my interest in royalty, I became aware of a great deal. These two are doing a great job, representing their nation and causes that deserve our attention.
I'm confused by any negative reactions to this visit. The whole point of royalty (or at least the reason to maintain it) is to have people solely for the reason of representing your country in the best light. William and Catherine packed a few boxes, that's more than most people have done in their life or even in the last year. They both stated that they have friends who live in the are (though very unlikely to be suffering in anyway but still...) and it's close to their heart, hence why they went instead of any other British royal. Blame for the attention paid to Mary and Catherine's clothes or their interactions should be solely on the media who covered the visit, not W&C or F&M.

I agree with Erin9 that depending on where you live the drought in the Horn of Africa may not be on the top of your priorities or given the most of your attention. So this visit highlights a major problem for at least a few hours -- a few hours and a lot of donations that rescue work needs.
Old 11-04-2011, 05:42 PM
Heir Apparent

If actors and celebrities can use their starpower to advocate for important causes, I see no reason why two attractive royal couples can't use their status to do the same thing. For those of us here in the U.S. who remember the devastation of Hurricane Katrina in the South years ago, there was a huge telathon hosted by and including famous celebrities who were there to obtain donations for the rebuilding of the area and to bring in rescue food supplies and other relief. Had they not been present, I doubt the telathon would have had half the response it did. Jerry Lewis, the comedian, used to host his annual Muscular Dystrophy telethon for money for research into this terrible disease, with guest celebrities, breaking huge monetary records for the amount of donations received. These are means to a very worthy end, and just only two examples of the myriad events for which the famous use their celebrity to focus on terrible conditions across the world. So what William, Kate, Mary and Frederik accomplished together for UNICEF works for me.
Old 11-05-2011, 01:32 PM
Majesty

William and Catherine plan to move into Princess Margaret's apartment in Kensington Palace, after the renovations are completed by most likely 2013. This is convenient, especially if William chooses not to extend his stay with the RAF.

New London pad for the former Miss Kate Middleton and Royal hubby William - News - London 24

Old 11-05-2011, 04:10 PM
Heir Apparent

It seems Will and Kate had their heart set on an apartment in KP, and those new premises sound large enough to accommodate a growing family.
Old 11-05-2011, 09:24 PM
Majesty

And a bit more on the KP apartment from the 'Daily Mail'.

£1m refit for Kensington Palace: Duke and Duchess of Cambridge will move in to Princess Margaret's former apartment | Mail Online

Old 11-05-2011, 10:33 PM
Heir Apparent

Thank you for that article. I'm especially interested in the overhead view which actually shows the cottage Will and Kate are living in, so much smaller than the colossal apartment they'll be moving into. But that apartment basically has to be gutted for a major overhaul, including removing asbestos. The article says that the cost of a million pounds will be funded by grants and money from the RF personal fortune. Quite a bit of money.

And as far as the article saying that Kate is giving HM her own homemade jam for Christmas - well, there goes the surprise if it's true!
Old 11-06-2011, 12:22 AM
Majesty

Judging from the pictures, the place is indeed huge. It'll provide the needed space for children, staff and anything else they may want. I'm hoping we'll see pictures of the apartment after the renovations.

Catherine making home-made jam reminds me of my childhood. My family owned a summer house on the outskirts of Moscow, and my great-grandmother loved to garden. She grew a slew of berries, and then made jars upon jars of jam out of them to take back to Moscow for the winter. Lovely to see that still being practiced.

Old 11-06-2011, 01:55 AM
Heir Presumptive

When I saw the word apartment, I was thinking of 3 bedrooms with 2.5 bathrooms plus a study. I did not think of such a large space that the DM had in their picture.
Old 11-06-2011, 10:09 AM

I think it's really lovely that William and Catherine are going to move into Princess Margaret's old apartments. I'm not sure how close William was to his great-aunt but the history of the place should make dinner party chitter chatter fascinating!
Old 11-06-2011, 10:42 AM
Heir Apparent

I think KP is really the best solution.
And Margaret's apartment will be a fresh start for William, much better than living in his childhood home. I think it was very short-sighted to use the space for offices and storage; they might have known it would be needed someday!

It's also good that Harry will get Nottingham Cottage, rather than living with his father and stepmother in Clarence House. It's nice for him to have a place of his own.
Old 11-06-2011, 10:43 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daria_S View Post
Judging from the pictures, the place is indeed huge. It'll provide the needed space for children, staff and anything else they may want. I'm hoping we'll see pictures of the apartment after the renovations.

Catherine making home-made jam reminds me of my childhood. My family owned a summer house on the outskirts of Moscow, and my great-grandmother loved to garden. She grew a slew of berries, and then made jars upon jars of jam out of them to take back to Moscow for the winter. Lovely to see that still being practiced.
Lovely memory; anything handmade like crafts or food is certainly a gift from the heart, and the amount of work involved is more difficult than simply purchasing a gift, IMO. So Kate certainly has her pulse on the matter if she's making her own jam for HM who prefers homemade and unextravagant gifts if that's so. I read years ago in a bio of the Queen that if she hadn't come to the throne, she'd have probably married a gentleman farmer and lived in the country. So I'm sure these types of gift would definitely appeal to her. Besides, what do you give to a woman who has everything? Why, homemade jam, of course!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Pam View Post
When I saw the word apartment, I was thinking of 3 bedrooms with 2.5 bathrooms plus a study. I did not think of such a large space that the DM had in their picture.
I know, when I was tracing the outline of PM's apartment and Diana's (which is shorter by one floor), I couldn't believe how small Will and Kate's cottage is by comparison - and I'm sure it's not that small by any means. By the looks of it, that cottage could easily fit in the space of either apartment. My definition of apartment is similar to containing standard rooms like you described. The alternative definition of royal apartment living is premises more on the scale of an office building!

Closed Thread