The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 11:16 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baroness of Books View Post
People will look at anything to nitpick.
Exactly. There are more important things to worry about than whether or not Catherine typed or hand-wrote a letter. I'm touched by the gesture and the fact that she went above and beyond what is expected of her in order to help someone else.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 10-17-2011, 11:39 PM
Heir Presumptive

IF she typed it herself who the heck cares! If she had handwritten it we'd get people try to analyze her handwriting for signs of a serial killer.

Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 10-17-2011, 11:44 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
IF she typed it herself who the heck cares! If she had handwritten it we'd get people try to analyze her handwriting for signs of a serial killer.
You're probably correct too. Our society has a tendency to take things overboard.

Anyway, I posted this in the 'Duchess of Cambridge Daytime Fashion' thread, but I'll post it here too, in case it doesn't belong there. The title makes me think of a rather creepy B-list science fiction film:

Rise of the Kate clones

Old 10-18-2011, 01:02 AM
Aristocracy

What a beautiful gesture of Catherine to send that letter...so kind and caring. I don't think that we can overestimate how much that letter meant to a sick little boy and his hurting family. It was a ray of sunshine on a dark day.
Old 10-18-2011, 03:25 AM
Courtier

I agree that the letter wasn't a form letter usually given from the RF and that shows that Kate took a great interest in those who she spoke to during her visit to the Royal Marsden. So I echo Mermaid1962 in saying that Kate is doing really well!

On the topic of it being typed as opposed to handwritten: though I was able to read Kate's letter after Wimbledon easily, who's to say that she didn't figure that it would just be easier for the young boy to read a typed letter. Very few letters from the RF have their personal signature (rather, they have the signatures of the lady-in-waiting, etc.) so at the very least she read and signed the letter...
Old 10-18-2011, 10:30 AM
Heir Apparent

I agree that people would try to analyze Kate's handwriting (what a field day they'd have with that!), and it is easier to read a typewritten letter in the event that a young child might find it less difficult to read than cursive writing. In any case, anyone can tell it's not a form letter and very personal.

And thanks for the "clone" article, Daria. I can't wait to see Kate bring back the twin set! Now let me see if I have one or two shoved in my wardrobe that I can resurrect.....
Old 10-18-2011, 03:56 PM
Heir Presumptive

I'd much rather have a typed letter than a handwritten one. Much easier to read especially for a child.
Old 10-19-2011, 12:44 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daria_S View Post
To me, the fact that the words came from her heart is the most important thing. How she got those words onto paper is really irrelevant.
Quote:
. I'm touched by the gesture and the fact that she went above and beyond what is expected of her in order to help someone else.
Spot- on Daria!
How anyone could nitpick over Kate's acts of kindness, is beyond me.
Judging from the kind of people that Kate and William seem to be, they won't let a few nitpics stop them.
Annoying though!
Old 10-19-2011, 01:12 AM
Majesty

Quote:
I agree that people would try to analyze Kate's handwriting (what a field day they'd have with that!), and it is easier to read a typewritten letter in the event that a young child might find it less difficult to read than cursive writing. In any case, anyone can tell it's not a form letter and very personal.

And thanks for the "clone" article, Daria. I can't wait to see Kate bring back the twin set! Now let me see if I have one or two shoved in my wardrobe that I can resurrect.....
You're welcome. I got a kick out of the title. Too funny .

Roseroyal, you're spot on as well. I certainly hope William and Catherine won't take what some nitpicks say to heart. Plus, there are so many more of those who are cheering rather than jeering them on.

Old 10-19-2011, 02:07 AM
Majesty

William and Catherine are fans of 'Downton Abbey'. They have wonderful taste.

Duke and Duchess of Cambridge 'love Downton Abbey' - Telegraph

Old 10-19-2011, 10:57 AM
Courtier

Prince William speaks about Fields in Trust:

Old 10-19-2011, 02:35 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:

I guess I'm in good company; I'm hooked on that series myself. I love these period pieces and the British do them so well. Can't wait for part 2 in January 2012.
Old 10-19-2011, 02:51 PM
Majesty

Quote:
I guess I'm in good company; I'm hooked on that series myself. I love these period pieces and the British do them so well. Can't wait for part 2 in January 2012.
I'm waiting on season one from my library. They have a bunch of copies, but when I asked to put it on hold, I was number 97 (that was in mid-August). Hoping to get it soon, but from what I've heard about the program, it sounds fabulous. I love period dramas myself, and glad to see that I'm in good company as well.

Old 10-19-2011, 03:05 PM
Courtier

Quote:
I'm waiting on season one from my library. They have a bunch of copies, but when I asked to put it on hold, I was number 97 (that was in mid-August). Hoping to get it soon, but from what I've heard about the program, it sounds fabulous. I love period dramas myself, and glad to see that I'm in good company as well.
Daria, the best part is that it's funny, too. Maggie Smith can really turn a phrase and cast a withering glance. Sorry for OT.
Old 10-19-2011, 03:27 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsorgirl View Post
Daria, the best part is that it's funny, too. Maggie Smith can really turn a phrase and cast a withering glance. Sorry for OT.
I think that's why I loved her portrayal of Prof. M. in 'Harry Potter' movies. She has the deadpan part to a tee.

Old 10-20-2011, 04:27 AM
Heir Presumptive

I think a typed letter makes a person feel more important and appears more official. Even someone so young could appreciate a types letter from a Princess; if I had a letter from the President or someone famous, I would feel more important if it was typed on special paper.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 10-20-2011, 04:50 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

It is perfectly fine and kind of international standard for royals / politicians to have the address and signature of a letter handwritten, the rest typed.

I guess the lack of engagements is producing some fill-in non-stories.
Old 10-20-2011, 02:05 PM
Heir Apparent

Thanks for the utube od Willaim I just love him and really glad they love Downton as I do too as I do that was terrific of them to ask to meet the actress.
Old 10-20-2011, 05:11 PM
Serene Highness

"What a Woman Wants" (a man with good taste in telly)

Quote:

I fell (even more) in love with my sweetie when he very obligingly agreed to watch the series "Edward the King" many years ago. And he loved it and has enthusiastically watched many similar series in the 30 years we've been married. Good for William!
Old 10-20-2011, 05:16 PM
Heir Apparent

I'm just the opposite...make mine handwritten. But, typed is OK.

Closed Thread