The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #881  
Old 11-01-2011, 10:32 PM
IloveCP's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: -, United States
Posts: 10,805
Kate is a natural in her public life.She is doing a great job so far.
__________________

  #882  
Old 11-02-2011, 06:19 AM
martina's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Praha, Czech Republic
Posts: 255
I agree with you IloveCP!
__________________

  #883  
Old 11-02-2011, 07:32 AM
Osipi's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 13,828
Quote:
Originally Posted by IloveCP View Post
Kate is a natural in her public life.She is doing a great job so far.
`

Now this might sound a wee bit odd but it just hit me.
I think that one reason that Kate (and William) come across so well with their public is that she definitely does not focus on the *I*... hence there is no sense of an inflated ego.

Many in the public eye tend to draw attention to themselves as far as how they dress, how they behave, how they talk to people. Both William and Kate can easily put the attention on where they are, who they're meeting and the purpose they have in mind as their primary goals and in that way, draw the people around them into the event along with them.

Although I'm sure a lot of us just love following what Kate wears and how she does her hair and such (it does get a lot of attention), what I think is remarkable is how often the follow ups with this couple seems to have a heartwarming effect that very much underscores the empathy and caring of these two. Such as the follow up letter to the little boy in the hospital, the donations to charity the stemmed from their wedding gifts, Wills taking time and requesting to visit Australia after a natural disaster.
None of these acts are self serving or even something that they were required to do as their "roles" but come from the heart.

Little by little this couple are making differences in people's lives. They do it naturally.
  #884  
Old 11-02-2011, 10:06 AM
expat's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Lisbon, Portugal
Posts: 184
Or, I hate to say it, she is a natural "mouse" and is, and always has been happy to be in the background. I remember, long before I became a member of TRF a post that said that Kate (as she was called then) was the perfect decoration for a royal arm.
We will see in time I imagine but, at least she is a pleasant change from the "I, me" that we have heard constantly from the ex-duchess of York.
  #885  
Old 11-02-2011, 10:21 AM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: San Francisco, United States
Posts: 2,383
Quote:
Originally Posted by expat View Post
Or, I hate to say it, she is a natural "mouse" and is, and always has been happy to be in the background. I remember, long before I became a member of TRF a post that said that Kate (as she was called then) was the perfect decoration for a royal arm.
We will see in time I imagine but, at least she is a pleasant change from the "I, me" that we have heard constantly from the ex-duchess of York.
Did you mean "mouse" which is not a very nice label? Or did you perhaps mean "muse".
  #886  
Old 11-02-2011, 10:59 AM
Baroness of Books's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Bookstacks, United States
Posts: 5,806
Quote:
Originally Posted by American Dane View Post
Is anyone else concerned that they both easily got injured during sporting activities so severly that they needed to go to the hospital? For instance, in lacrosse in the United States only men wear complete head guards while women simply have 'eye shields'. I realise William was hit with a golf club and golf normally doesn't need any protection but field hockey or whatever Catherine was playing clearly needs some sort of 'guard'. I question the lack of protection at schools for sporting activities and hope that William or Catherine perhaps take that on as a cause...

JMO, hope I didn't offend anyone.
No, no offense taken, and you brought up good points though I did speculate in my post if they should be mandating helmets. In professional sports, they do - with the exception of soccer (football), AFAIK. And while the ball may not travel long in field hockey, there is that chance that someone can get whacked in the head with a stick in close quarters which might have occurred to Kate. I think anyone on a playing field, especially in school sports, needs to be wearing protective gear.
  #887  
Old 11-02-2011, 11:49 AM
expat's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Lisbon, Portugal
Posts: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by grevinnan View Post
Did you mean "mouse" which is not a very nice label? Or did you perhaps mean "muse".
No, I meant mouse, I don't think Catherine could be anyone except a dizzy teenager's muse.

As in "reserved, modest, shy, shrinking violet, mouse" Quoted from Roget's Thesaurus.
  #888  
Old 11-02-2011, 12:02 PM
American Dane's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: New York and Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baroness of Books

No, no offense taken, and you brought up good points though I did speculate in my post if they should be mandating helmets. In professional sports, they do - with the exception of soccer (football), AFAIK. And while the ball may not travel long in field hockey, there is that chance that someone can get whacked in the head with a stick in close quarters which might have occurred to Kate. I think anyone on a playing field, especially in school sports, needs to be wearing protective gear.
Thank you, that's exactly how I feel since really William and Kate are two out of possibly many cases. The idea of having your child have surgery and on their head, Diana and Carole were probably justifiably terrified.
  #889  
Old 11-02-2011, 02:23 PM
Zonk's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Somewhere in, United States
Posts: 12,609
Please note that all posts regarding the Cambridge trip to Copenhagen should be posted http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...ml#post1333201 .

Thanks!

Zonk
__________________
.

  #890  
Old 11-03-2011, 11:01 AM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Somewhere, United States
Posts: 983
It doesn't bother me that good-looking, popular people can draw attention to worthy causes. There are many problems out there, and I don't expect people to be well-informed on all of them. I'm not. So, if people like Will and Kate can draw more attention to THIS cause, I think that's great. The most recent conversation I had about Africa was not about the famine, it was about a fundraiser involving orphanages/schools for girls. The famine didn't even come up.

If I look at the main issues that are being discussed these days where I am: the economy (U.S. and world wide), the drought (in Texas), the upcoming election, Iraq/Afghanistan, Libya and other issues surrounding the "Arab Spring", issues with the school system....That's a lot right there.

I think most people know there are many problems in the world. This was an opportunity to shine a light on the famine in Africa.
  #891  
Old 11-04-2011, 10:14 AM
Lady Ann's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: IN THE CITY, United States
Posts: 858
I agree with you 100% Erin,you hit the nail on the head ....
__________________
Lady Ann
Life began with waking up and loving my mother's face…~ George Eliot ~
  #892  
Old 11-04-2011, 11:41 AM
soapstar's Avatar
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Hermosa Beach, United States
Posts: 5,269
Kate and William will be attending the Cenotaph Remembrance Day Service on November 13th.

The Prince of Wales - Sunday 13th November 2011

So they'll be at events twice next week - The dinner and reception on the 10th and then the Service on the 13th.

Good post, Erin9.
  #893  
Old 11-04-2011, 11:51 AM
Lumutqueen's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Middlewich, United Kingdom
Posts: 20,060
Quote:
Originally Posted by soapstar View Post
Kate and William will be attending the Cenotaph Remembrance Day Service on November 13th.

The Prince of Wales - Sunday 13th November 2011
It's no surprise that they're attending it would have been a disaster if they hadn't IMO.
__________________
We Will Remember Them.
  #894  
Old 11-04-2011, 12:17 PM
Hendrik-Jan77's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Arnhem, Netherlands
Posts: 347
Does anyone know if William and Catherine will also attend the Festival of Remembrance at the Royal Albert Hall on Saturday evening on November 12th?
__________________
HRH
  #895  
Old 11-04-2011, 01:24 PM
Lumutqueen's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Middlewich, United Kingdom
Posts: 20,060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendrik-Jan77 View Post
Does anyone know if William and Catherine will also attend the Festival of Remembrance at the Royal Albert Hall on Saturday evening on November 12th?
Doubtful as it's not on the calender. It is reported that, QE2, Prince Philip, Princess Anne, The Duke of Duchess of Gloucester, The Duke of Kent and Princess Alexandra will attend.
__________________
We Will Remember Them.
  #896  
Old 11-04-2011, 02:09 PM
Tiggersk8's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Evansville, Canada
Posts: 2,180
Very well said Erin and Thank You!!

I'm assuming William will be in Uniform and laying a Wreath, while Kate will be w/the other Royal Ladies (other than Princess Anne) watching from that balcony they usually are at?
__________________
Recycle Life ~ Be An Organ Donor!!
Recieved my Kidney Transplant on December 10th, 1993 and will be forever grateful to the family of my donor for the greatest earliest Christmas Present I've ever been given
  #897  
Old 11-04-2011, 03:05 PM
Daria_S's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: My own head, United States
Posts: 8,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin9 View Post
It doesn't bother me that good-looking, popular people can draw attention to worthy causes. There are many problems out there, and I don't expect people to be well-informed on all of them. I'm not. So, if people like Will and Kate can draw more attention to THIS cause, I think that's great. The most recent conversation I had about Africa was not about the famine, it was about a fundraiser involving orphanages/schools for girls. The famine didn't even come up.

If I look at the main issues that are being discussed these days where I am: the economy (U.S. and world wide), the drought (in Texas), the upcoming election, Iraq/Afghanistan, Libya and other issues surrounding the "Arab Spring", issues with the school system....That's a lot right there.

I think most people know there are many problems in the world. This was an opportunity to shine a light on the famine in Africa.
Very well said, Erin .

I think people like William and Catherine are essential to the promotion of world issues like famine, disadvantaged youth, people with disabilities, etc., because a lot of times the media and government choose to cover issues that are 'more important'. The public won't hear about the situation in Africa unless people were directly involved with UNICEF, or any other organizations that assist with relief. I know that there are so many things I'm not aware of, but because of my interest in royalty, I became aware of a great deal. These two are doing a great job, representing their nation and causes that deserve our attention.
__________________
"My guiding principles in life are to be honest, genuine, thoughtful and caring".
~Prince William~


I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
  #898  
Old 11-04-2011, 03:21 PM
Grandduchess24's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Cambridge, United States
Posts: 1,315
Wow 6 months already?! They look as happy as the day they were wed at Westminster and hopefully their love lasts forever may they have many happy Years together;D::uk flag::
__________________
" An ugly baby is a very nasty object, and the prettiest is frightful when undressed."
- Queen Victoria
  #899  
Old 11-04-2011, 04:09 PM
American Dane's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: New York and Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daria_S View Post
Very well said, Erin .

I think people like William and Catherine are essential to the promotion of world issues like famine, disadvantaged youth, people with disabilities, etc., because a lot of times the media and government choose to cover issues that are 'more important'. The public won't hear about the situation in Africa unless people were directly involved with UNICEF, or any other organizations that assist with relief. I know that there are so many things I'm not aware of, but because of my interest in royalty, I became aware of a great deal. These two are doing a great job, representing their nation and causes that deserve our attention.
I'm confused by any negative reactions to this visit. The whole point of royalty (or at least the reason to maintain it) is to have people solely for the reason of representing your country in the best light. William and Catherine packed a few boxes, that's more than most people have done in their life or even in the last year. They both stated that they have friends who live in the are (though very unlikely to be suffering in anyway but still...) and it's close to their heart, hence why they went instead of any other British royal. Blame for the attention paid to Mary and Catherine's clothes or their interactions should be solely on the media who covered the visit, not W&C or F&M.

I agree with Erin9 that depending on where you live the drought in the Horn of Africa may not be on the top of your priorities or given the most of your attention. So this visit highlights a major problem for at least a few hours -- a few hours and a lot of donations that rescue work needs.
  #900  
Old 11-04-2011, 04:42 PM
Baroness of Books's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Bookstacks, United States
Posts: 5,806
If actors and celebrities can use their starpower to advocate for important causes, I see no reason why two attractive royal couples can't use their status to do the same thing. For those of us here in the U.S. who remember the devastation of Hurricane Katrina in the South years ago, there was a huge telathon hosted by and including famous celebrities who were there to obtain donations for the rebuilding of the area and to bring in rescue food supplies and other relief. Had they not been present, I doubt the telathon would have had half the response it did. Jerry Lewis, the comedian, used to host his annual Muscular Dystrophy telethon for money for research into this terrible disease, with guest celebrities, breaking huge monetary records for the amount of donations received. These are means to a very worthy end, and just only two examples of the myriad events for which the famous use their celebrity to focus on terrible conditions across the world. So what William, Kate, Mary and Frederik accomplished together for UNICEF works for me.
__________________

Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Popular Tags
alqasimi archie mountbatten-windsor aristocracy armenia bavaria;house;chef;luitpold;ludwig belgian royal belgian royal family birthday celebration bracelets charles of wales christian ix countess of snowdon crown prince hussein's future wife current events cypher cyprus denmark discussão duchess of sussex duke & duchess of cambridge; duke of cambridge duke of sussex earl of wessex family search felipe vi french revolution future wife of prince hussein genealogy general news germany hamdan bin mohammed head of the house henry v house of bernadotte jack brooksbank king lady louise mountbatten-windsor letter lithuania lithuanian palaces marriage meghan markle mohammed vi monaco christening monarchism mountbatten naples nelson mandela bay official visit patron prince harry prince of wales prince peter princess benedikte princess royal qe2 queen paola romanov family royal royal tour rumania shakespeare siblings spain spanish royal state visit sweden swedish history usa windy city



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:29 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2019
Jelsoft Enterprises