The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-30-2011, 07:43 PM

Rings with stones (especially large stones) can be magnets for germs. Just look around and behind any stone on a ring you have, and you'll see all kinds of gook there, not to mention the microscopic germs that have gathered around the stone. These patients are undergoing serious treatments like chemotherapy and radiation, which seriously suppress their immune systems. Therefore, they need to be as protected as possible from germs which wouldn't bother most people, but could give them pneumonia.

I'm a nurse, and this is the reason I don't wear my rings while I'm working (and I don't even work on this kind of ward). When you touch and handle patients like the ones the Duke and Duchess saw, you have to very careful to be as sanitary as possible.

Old 09-30-2011, 07:46 PM
Heir Presumptive

William and Kate,both of them were looking just great during their visit,the expressions of their faces revealed so much kindness and empathy,that just could not help admiring the couple.I am glad they take the path and example of elder royals(especially of late Princess Diana) in this route of visiting and protecting charity organizations and hospitals etc.Of course they will have to learn more,but I think William's mother,Princess of Wales,would have been very proud of him without any doubt.

Old 09-30-2011, 09:18 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by RN1981 View Post
Rings with stones (especially large stones) can be magnets for germs. Just look around and behind any stone on a ring you have, and you'll see all kinds of gook there, not to mention the microscopic germs that have gathered around the stone. These patients are undergoing serious treatments like chemotherapy and radiation, which seriously suppress their immune systems. Therefore, they need to be as protected as possible from germs which wouldn't bother most people, but could give them pneumonia.

I'm a nurse, and this is the reason I don't wear my rings while I'm working (and I don't even work on this kind of ward). When you touch and handle patients like the ones the Duke and Duchess saw, you have to very careful to be as sanitary as possible.
After reading your post, I removed my rings and took a good serious look at them under a bright light and UGH!!! If I'm correct, a lot of transference of germs such as colds, viruses and such are transmitted through the hands even more than the mouth. So I guess that not only having William and Kate going "antiseptic" with their visit protected the patients but its also taught us here a thing or two too eh?

And.. a big welcome to TRF!!!
Old 09-30-2011, 09:52 PM
Heir Apparent

Well, I'm certain the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge's visit did a world of good for those young patients, and probably brought them a beneficial dose of medicine in addition to the ones they normally receive.

And, FYI, if anyone wants to clean their rings really well, squirt sudsy liquid detergent in a small pot of water with a little ammonia, bring it to a boil, shut off the flame and put your jewelry in (with the exception of pearls and opals). Do not boil the water with your jewelry in it! Let the water cool, take your jewelry out and scrub with a child's toothbrush. I've used this method for years on my rings and the grime really comes out.
Old 10-01-2011, 12:48 AM
Heir Apparent

Just watched the You Tube vid of this visit. The most lovely thing was when Alice came forward to give the Duchess her bouquet the Duke's face positively and genuinely LIT up with joy at seeing her again!
Old 10-01-2011, 01:29 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseroyal View Post
Just watched the You Tube vid of this visit. The most lovely thing was when Alice came forward to give the Duchess her bouquet the Duke's face positively and genuinely LIT up with joy at seeing her again!
Oh those are the precious moments that really makes you realize there is good in the world.
Old 10-01-2011, 02:10 AM
Majesty

Where is the video?
Old 10-01-2011, 02:32 AM
Heir Apparent

^I know for sure the video on the end of the dailymail article features Alice. Here's the link
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...l-Marsden.html

Here's another vid I found
Old 10-01-2011, 03:01 AM
Majesty

Thank you!Will is so sweet!
Old 10-01-2011, 03:44 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by IloveCP View Post
Thank you!Will is so sweet!
(Remember folks I don't hear well and don't have sound hooked up to my computer.)

The only part of William and Kate's visit I think that gave Wills a spot of the heebie jeebies was making that speech. He's not much of a public speaker... yet.

He's totally at ease talking one on one with the kids and folks but being in the suit coat and making an "official" speech, you can tell he's not that comfortable. I thought too that for the "official" part of the revealing the plaque, both William and Kate did put on the official duty actions.

In other words, they were more themselves until the "official" part had to be done. Then again I do picture Wills as a more roll up the sleeves type of guy than a staunch "by the rules" type. Perhaps its just me.
Old 10-01-2011, 11:52 AM
Heir Apparent

I also see how Will is more comfortable in the meet and greet in comparison to making formal speeches; he seems so natural in relating to people. I wonder if he has a hand in the speechwriting, or leaves it up to his staff; at the very least, I'm sure he reviews it and has his input. As well, I like how Will motioned Kate over to his side and deferred to her in pulling the curtain cord to the plaque; he just seems to want to present her to the public as much as possible.
Old 10-01-2011, 06:32 PM
Majesty

Thank you for the videos, ghost_night!

One of my favorite parts was seeing Catherine color with a little girl. She had such a smile on her face. I think this couple does enjoy one-to-one interactions with patients/members of the public (and William is indeed better at that part and feels more comfortable when doing it). Catherine seems to handle the attention with a little more ease than her husband. However, I always love seeing them interact with people. They're natural and sincere.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 10-01-2011, 08:04 PM
Majesty

I have the same impression. With the Duchess, it's natural that she'd find official occasions a bit uncomfortable; William and she will hopefully become more comfortable as the years go by. I remember seeing a video of Prince Edward wherein he says that he tries to make things like plaque unveiling a bit entertaining so that they aren't all the same all the time. I guess that the frustrated actor in him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
In other words, they were more themselves until the "official" part had to be done. Then again I do picture Wills as a more roll up the sleeves type of guy than a staunch "by the rules" type. Perhaps its just me.
Old 10-01-2011, 08:20 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
I have the same impression. With the Duchess, it's natural that she'd find official occasions a bit uncomfortable; William and she will hopefully become more comfortable as the years go by. I remember seeing a video of Prince Edward wherein he says that he tries to make things like plaque unveiling a bit entertaining so that they aren't all the same all the time. I guess that the frustrated actor in him.
I can understand where he's coming from though. When you're doing the same thing only at different places, it can get a little tedious. I think it's a great idea to liven it up a bit (for the audience and the Royal).

Old 10-02-2011, 04:18 AM
Heir Apparent

On the side of this article is a great mini "my view" article by Arthur Edwards
Kate and Wills open cancer ward | The Sun |News
Old 10-02-2011, 12:28 PM
Nobility

Kate is to become Patron of the Tate, the National Gallery and others many institutions which didnt have royal patron until today; Except the V& A (but sinceraly because I'm french I totally ignore what it is V&A)

Duchess of Cambridge to become Queen of Arts - Telegraph
Old 10-02-2011, 12:36 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost_night554 View Post
On the side of this article is a great mini "my view" article by Arthur Edwards
Kate and Wills open cancer ward | The Sun |News
great article!!!! I love arthur edwards work!!!!
Old 10-02-2011, 01:13 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosapru View Post
Kate is to become Patron of the Tate, the National Gallery and others many institutions which didnt have royal patron until today; Except the V& A (but sinceraly because I'm french I totally ignore what it is V&A)

Duchess of Cambridge to become Queen of Arts - Telegraph
I think they're referring to the Victoria and Albert Museum.

Old 10-02-2011, 02:45 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosapru View Post
Except the V& A (but sinceraly because I'm french I totally ignore what it is V&A)
It refers to the Victoria and Albert Museum

Old 10-02-2011, 02:51 PM
Heir Apparent

William is just so adorable I just think he's a lovely young man. I am certain he has hie human flaws but in his public life I am always thrilled to see him. Thanks for the video...

Closed Thread