The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 05:29 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly2101 View Post
That is a lovely gesture from Catherine, how beautiful. I noticed the headed paper; is St James' Palace where they have their official offices?
I believe so.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 10-17-2011, 05:43 PM
Majesty

Lovely. Kate's doing very well.

Old 10-17-2011, 06:23 PM
Heir Presumptive

I've been lucky enough to meet some pretty special/famous people over the years and when you're going through a really tough time, knowing that someone famous cared enough to send you a letter or wanted to talk w/you, I know first hand what kind of a lift to the spirit that can have. It's truly beyond words how much something like this can have on the person it has happened to.

It says so much about Kate that she took the time to write and send this letter to this young man. On the tough days during the prep and then after his Bone Marrow Transplant, he can think back to this letter and know he's got the support of a very special lady who is pulling for him.

And now w/this letter making the news, many other people around the World will be too.
Old 10-17-2011, 06:49 PM
Heir Apparent

Hopefully, receiving that letter will uplift Fabian's spirits so much that it'll go a long way toward helping him during this rough time. Healing isn't only from your medication, but also from your outlook and attitude. That is a very thoughtful gesture from Kate and speaks volumes about her heart being in the right place.
Old 10-17-2011, 07:22 PM
Heir Apparent

I read about Kate's letter on the Daily Mail. People in the comment section where people were complaining that she did not handwrite the letter. If you read the letter, you can tell it isn't a form letter but personalized for little Fabian. Perhaps Kate remembers the handwritten letter she wrote to Wimbleton that had the typos that the papers pointed out this summer. Some people will never be happy.
Old 10-17-2011, 07:57 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
I read about Kate's letter on the Daily Mail. People in the comment section where people were complaining that she did not handwrite the letter. If you read the letter, you can tell it isn't a form letter but personalized for little Fabian. Perhaps Kate remembers the handwritten letter she wrote to Wimbleton that had the typos that the papers pointed out this summer. Some people will never be happy.
Frankly, I didn't even think about the letter being typed until you pointed it out, because that's such a minor and inconsequential detail. To me, the fact that the words came from her heart is the most important thing. How she got those words onto paper is really irrelevant.

Old 10-17-2011, 08:15 PM
Heir Apparent

People will look at anything to nitpick.
Old 10-17-2011, 10:16 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baroness of Books View Post
People will look at anything to nitpick.
Exactly. There are more important things to worry about than whether or not Catherine typed or hand-wrote a letter. I'm touched by the gesture and the fact that she went above and beyond what is expected of her in order to help someone else.

Old 10-17-2011, 10:39 PM
Heir Apparent

IF she typed it herself who the heck cares! If she had handwritten it we'd get people try to analyze her handwriting for signs of a serial killer.
Old 10-17-2011, 10:44 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
IF she typed it herself who the heck cares! If she had handwritten it we'd get people try to analyze her handwriting for signs of a serial killer.
You're probably correct too. Our society has a tendency to take things overboard.

Anyway, I posted this in the 'Duchess of Cambridge Daytime Fashion' thread, but I'll post it here too, in case it doesn't belong there. The title makes me think of a rather creepy B-list science fiction film:

Rise of the Kate clones

Old 10-18-2011, 12:02 AM
Aristocracy

What a beautiful gesture of Catherine to send that letter...so kind and caring. I don't think that we can overestimate how much that letter meant to a sick little boy and his hurting family. It was a ray of sunshine on a dark day.
Old 10-18-2011, 02:25 AM
Courtier

I agree that the letter wasn't a form letter usually given from the RF and that shows that Kate took a great interest in those who she spoke to during her visit to the Royal Marsden. So I echo Mermaid1962 in saying that Kate is doing really well!

On the topic of it being typed as opposed to handwritten: though I was able to read Kate's letter after Wimbledon easily, who's to say that she didn't figure that it would just be easier for the young boy to read a typed letter. Very few letters from the RF have their personal signature (rather, they have the signatures of the lady-in-waiting, etc.) so at the very least she read and signed the letter...
Old 10-18-2011, 09:30 AM
Heir Apparent

I agree that people would try to analyze Kate's handwriting (what a field day they'd have with that!), and it is easier to read a typewritten letter in the event that a young child might find it less difficult to read than cursive writing. In any case, anyone can tell it's not a form letter and very personal.

And thanks for the "clone" article, Daria. I can't wait to see Kate bring back the twin set! Now let me see if I have one or two shoved in my wardrobe that I can resurrect.....
Old 10-18-2011, 02:56 PM
Heir Apparent

I'd much rather have a typed letter than a handwritten one. Much easier to read especially for a child.
Old 10-18-2011, 11:44 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daria_S View Post
To me, the fact that the words came from her heart is the most important thing. How she got those words onto paper is really irrelevant.
Quote:
. I'm touched by the gesture and the fact that she went above and beyond what is expected of her in order to help someone else.
Spot- on Daria!
How anyone could nitpick over Kate's acts of kindness, is beyond me.
Judging from the kind of people that Kate and William seem to be, they won't let a few nitpics stop them.
Annoying though!
Old 10-19-2011, 12:12 AM
Majesty

Quote:
I agree that people would try to analyze Kate's handwriting (what a field day they'd have with that!), and it is easier to read a typewritten letter in the event that a young child might find it less difficult to read than cursive writing. In any case, anyone can tell it's not a form letter and very personal.

And thanks for the "clone" article, Daria. I can't wait to see Kate bring back the twin set! Now let me see if I have one or two shoved in my wardrobe that I can resurrect.....
You're welcome. I got a kick out of the title. Too funny .

Roseroyal, you're spot on as well. I certainly hope William and Catherine won't take what some nitpicks say to heart. Plus, there are so many more of those who are cheering rather than jeering them on.

Old 10-19-2011, 01:07 AM
Majesty

William and Catherine are fans of 'Downton Abbey'. They have wonderful taste.

Duke and Duchess of Cambridge 'love Downton Abbey' - Telegraph

Old 10-19-2011, 01:35 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
William and Catherine are fans of 'Downton Abbey'. They have wonderful taste.

Duke and Duchess of Cambridge 'love Downton Abbey' - Telegraph
I guess I'm in good company; I'm hooked on that series myself. I love these period pieces and the British do them so well. Can't wait for part 2 in January 2012.
Old 10-19-2011, 01:51 PM
Majesty

Quote:
I guess I'm in good company; I'm hooked on that series myself. I love these period pieces and the British do them so well. Can't wait for part 2 in January 2012.
I'm waiting on season one from my library. They have a bunch of copies, but when I asked to put it on hold, I was number 97 (that was in mid-August). Hoping to get it soon, but from what I've heard about the program, it sounds fabulous. I love period dramas myself, and glad to see that I'm in good company as well.

Old 10-19-2011, 02:05 PM
Courtier

Quote:
I'm waiting on season one from my library. They have a bunch of copies, but when I asked to put it on hold, I was number 97 (that was in mid-August). Hoping to get it soon, but from what I've heard about the program, it sounds fabulous. I love period dramas myself, and glad to see that I'm in good company as well.
Daria, the best part is that it's funny, too. Maggie Smith can really turn a phrase and cast a withering glance. Sorry for OT.

Closed Thread