The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-30-2011, 10:39 AM
Serene Highness

I do wish they wouldn't photograph the seriously ill with a Royal - especially children. That little boy looked like a prop rather than a person needing to be seen and related to. I'm not saying don't visit - just don't make the actual inside meet-and-greet a photo-op. I wince when I see children being 'used' in this way - there is no 'merit' in such encounters. Adults, yes - children, no.

Old 09-30-2011, 11:12 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyger
I do wish they wouldn't photograph the seriously ill with a Royal - especially children. That little boy looked like a prop rather than a person needing to be seen and related to. I'm not saying don't visit - just don't make the actual inside meet-and-greet a photo-op. I wince when I see children being 'used' in this way - there is no 'merit' in such encounters. Adults, yes - children, no.
I'm sure the proper permissions were sought and given before photographing the children, I believe it gives a human face to the cause and brings the proper attention to it which isn't that sort of the whole point of a Royal visit? To bring notice to a worthy cause......and this gain maybe otherwise unlikely supporters.....

Old 09-30-2011, 11:40 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by melina premiere View Post
Princess Cathrine is very beautiful, but there is a question 'why do the couple do not walk arm in arm or hand in hand as other couples? (Victoria of Sweden and Daniel, Philippe and Mathilde of Belgium, Frederic and Mary of Denmark
Because the British Royal Family is not so much about public display of affection as other Royal Families might be/are.
The British are much more reserved.

Oh, and P.S.: she is a Duchess, not a Princess
Old 09-30-2011, 11:43 AM
Heir Presumptive

many times william and katerina walt hand in hand, remenber when leave bickingham after the wedding?

in this blog you can see some photos hand in hand
theprincessdianafan2's blog - Page 5 - Blog de sur Princess Diana , William & Catherine et Harry - Skyrock.com
Old 09-30-2011, 11:47 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by brielah-di View Post
many times william and katerina walt hand in hand, remenber when leave bickingham after the wedding?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brielah-di View Post

That was when they actually were in private - I think melina premiere means the engagements they do together.
Old 09-30-2011, 12:29 PM
Majesty

In relation to being photographed while being inside the hospital and with patients, I would bet a limb that the said patients would be asked if they want to be photographed or not, it's only courteous. We would ask William or Catherine if they would mind posing for a picture with us, so the same courtesy is extended to these patients (or any people associated with any cause these two, or anyone else represent[s]).

Anyway, here's the text of William's speech from yesterday:

The Prince of Wales - A speech by HRH The Duke of Cambridge at the opening of the Oak Centre for Children and Young People, Royal Marsden Hospital, Surrey

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 09-30-2011, 04:32 PM
Serene Highness

It's good of them to support charities Like william's mother ,princess di since they've opened a cancer charity and it really was different for the bride to donate her dress to charity unlike others whose dresses have gone into storage then soon after to a museaum
Old 09-30-2011, 05:20 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandduchess24 View Post
It's good of them to support charities Like william's mother ,princess di since they've opened a cancer charity and it really was different for the bride to donate her dress to charity unlike others whose dresses have gone into storage then soon after to a museaum
Have I missed something? Kate donated her gown?
Old 09-30-2011, 05:20 PM
Heir Apparent

Has her dress been donated to a charity. I know it was exhibited at Buck House this summer but assumed it would go into storage until some future exhibit was done for an anniversary or the like.
Old 09-30-2011, 05:29 PM
Majesty

Kate Middleton Ring: Why Wasn't She Wearing It? : People.com
Old 09-30-2011, 05:30 PM
Heir Apparent

William Kate and Harry hosted a reception on Thursday night at SJP
Quote:
Later Thursday, Kate helped William and his brother Prince Harry host a private reception at St James's Palace to thank those who have been helping their joint charitable foundation this past year.
Kate Middleton Ring: Why Wasn't She Wearing It? : People.com
Old 09-30-2011, 06:05 PM
Heir Apparent

Why on earth would she take off her engagement ring? Look in the photo at the woman in the red dress. She's got on some giant ring. Kate's ring would not have been damaged by the antiseptic gel! I am amazed and very puzzled. Diamonds, sapphires and gold/platinum do not absorb anything.
Old 09-30-2011, 06:12 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

From the above article.

Quote:
A palace source tells PEOPLE that Kate, 29, had slipped off and placed it in her clutch – for hygiene reasons on advice of the hospital staff.
Old 09-30-2011, 06:12 PM
Serene Highness

Could Kate have forgotten to put it on when she left or why?

It's good to hear this and it solves the mystery for all of us who kept wondering.
Old 09-30-2011, 06:35 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyger View Post
Oh, I so respectfully disagree with you. That little lad did not look like a prop, he looked like a joyful child, having the time of his life...
And William seemed to be doing a fine job relating to and seeing the child.
To me, what you are saying when you say don't photograph Royals with ill people, is that Royalty should not publicly visit hospitals. That may not be what you meant, but that's how it comes across.
Because the reason they do is to raise public awareness. How can you do that without photographs?
Old 09-30-2011, 06:49 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
For a child (or an adult in that matter) that has been subjected to myriads of hospital stays, treatments and poked and prodded and most likely realizes what monster sickness they are trying to battle, I would think that a visit from someone like William and Kate would be a very bright spotlight in a dreary routine. I would bet too that everyone involved in this latest visit has been hyped up and eager about it for weeks if not months in advance.

When William and Kate visit and get so interactive with the people and the patients, its what memories of a lifetime are made of. During my years here at TRF, I've read many stories that recall with pride and honor of times they've met a royal or famous person and that it was a time they'll cherish forever.

I really have a strong feeling that both William and Kate are going to be very pro-active with children's causes in the years ahead.
Old 09-30-2011, 07:08 PM
Heir Apparent

Well, thank goodness she didn't take it off and leave it on the sink in the ladies' room when she washed her hands!
Old 09-30-2011, 07:19 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
Why on earth would she take off her engagement ring? Look in the photo at the woman in the red dress. She's got on some giant ring. Kate's ring would not have been damaged by the antiseptic gel! I am amazed and very puzzled. Diamonds, sapphires and gold/platinum do not absorb anything.

I don't think it has to do with the antiseptic gel but the diamonds surrounding the sapphire which may accidentally scratch one of the children.
Also, while the woman in the red dress works at the hospital, she may not have actually touched any of the children in the way William and Catherine did and so possibly didn't use antiseptic gel while Catherine did...
Old 09-30-2011, 07:27 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
That was my first thought too about the ring possibly hurting or scratching someone.

Makes me realize too that when both William and Kate took all these precautions of scrubbing up and rolling up sleeves and tucking ties and removing jewelry, they obviously had the intent of interacting as much as they possibly could with these children. Nope... definitely NOT a photo-op.
Old 09-30-2011, 07:36 PM
Majesty

I think Osipi and roseroyal expressed what I wanted to say in a perfect manner. This visit wasn't about photo shoots or anything else. It was about bringing attention to the cause and joy to the children and their families. The little boy in the picture looks bemused, but not miserable for being asked to interact with William. Bet he thought it was the coolest thing in the world.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Closed Thread