The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 05:23 PM
Majesty

‘Kate & William: Romance & the Royals’ Yes, it’s Another Documentary | The Royal Correspondent

Old 09-27-2011, 05:53 PM
Heir Apparent

I like David Starkey, but will we actually learn anything new here? He'll certainly be lending an air of gravitas to this documentary.

Old 09-28-2011, 12:52 AM
Heir Presumptive

Raise your hand if your gonna watch anyway?
LoL JK
I agree that I doubt there will be anything new about them in this documentary. I generally like David Starkey though like all historians, you find some things to disagree with them about.
EDIT
Watching the video now. It has little to do with William and Kate and instead is comparing them to past English couples who where the aristocratic/royal man marries an unaristocratic girl. I must admit one good thing about the wedding being over is I don't have to hear anymore about the freakin British class system. Starkey compares William and Kate to Henry and Anne Boleyn! :rolls eyes:
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 09-28-2011, 08:45 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi
Starkey compares William and Kate to Henry and Anne Boleyn! :rolls eyes:
Oh dear! If I remember right that didn't end well for Anne..... :rolls eyes: hope Kate fairs better!
Old 09-28-2011, 10:04 AM
Heir Apparent

I think that's the last couple I'd want to be compared to, given what happened to poor Anne!
Old 09-28-2011, 01:38 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
. Starkey compares William and Kate to Henry and Anne Boleyn! :rolls eyes:
Um....yikes . That's not very complimentary, considering the end of that sordid (in all sense) affair.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 09-28-2011, 04:01 PM
Heir Apparent

Yep, the only good thing that came out of that marriage was the great Elizabeth I.
Old 09-28-2011, 04:11 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baroness of Books View Post
Yep, the only good thing that came out of that marriage was the great Elizabeth I.
Precisely - practically the son he always wanted, only in a woman's body.

On a side note and offtopic, what I have wondered sometimes: would Henry have been proud of her? Or would he not have been able to look past her sex?
Old 09-28-2011, 04:37 PM
Heir Apparent

No doubt Henry would have recognized that Elizabeth was a chip off the old block with his hair, temperament, intellect and political acumen. Whether he'd be delighted that she was the reigning queen of England and the Tudor dynasty died out with her might be a good topic for another thread.
Old 09-28-2011, 07:16 PM
Heir Presumptive

The entire documentary just irritated the heck out of me; Starkey picks and chooses what he wants to address about subjects, ignoring the whole story. He even blames England's continuation of royals marrying for dynastic purposes on the Hanovers. Either he is losing his touch or someone forced him to do this special; I hope it's the latter.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 09-28-2011, 07:39 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
The entire documentary just irritated the heck out of me; Starkey picks and chooses what he wants to address about subjects, ignoring the whole story. He even blames England's continuation of royals marrying for dynastic purposes on the Hanovers. Either he is losing his touch or someone forced him to do this special; I hope it's the latter.
I believe that royals were marrying for dynastic purposes well before the Hanovers (and well after them too). It wasn't just in England, but all over Europe and world for that matter. I don't know why this guy is making a big deal out of something that is a part of history.

Old 09-29-2011, 10:35 AM
Heir Apparant
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Week Team Member

Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, arrives in Sutton, south-east England, to open a children's cancer unit at the Royal Marsden Hospital. September 29, 2011

BelgaPicture - Category details ** PPE Agency

Getty Images:The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge Visit The Royal Marsden Hospital

Hello Magazine: Duke and Duchess arrive to open children's cancer unit

Daily Mail: Following in Diana's footsteps: Duke and Duchess of Cambridge visit cancer-stricken children at Royal Marsden hospital
Old 09-29-2011, 11:05 AM
Majesty

Duke of Cambridge races from rescue mission to royal engagement - Telegraph

Duke of Cambridge races from rescue mission to royal engagement

The Duke of Cambridge laughed off the consequences of juggling two jobs today – dashing to a crucial royal engagement after a busy night as a search and rescue pilot
Old 09-29-2011, 12:18 PM
Aristocracy

William and Kate at the Royal Marsden - YouTube
Old 09-29-2011, 01:14 PM
Courtier

Prince William and Kate open Royal Marsden cancer unit - mirror.co.uk
Old 09-29-2011, 01:31 PM
Aristocracy

Video: Duke and Duchess of Cambridge open children's cancer unit - Telegraph
Old 09-29-2011, 02:12 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marika86 View Post
Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, arrives in Sutton, south-east England, to open a children's cancer unit at the Royal Marsden Hospital. September 29, 2011

Daily Mail: Following in Diana's footsteps: Duke and Duchess of Cambridge visit cancer-stricken children at Royal Marsden hospital
What I expected to see, but was delighted by!
I think William comes across as very dutiful and caring, working a long night, but not saying, " Cancel, I'm too tired."
How many Royals do you know that take their suit-jacket off, and wash in antiseptic gel, without a murmur?
Loved that he and Kate sat on patients beds. Loved William cracking jokes, and the overall laid- back manner.
As usual, they were a hit! Britain is lucky...
Old 09-29-2011, 02:43 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseroyal View Post
What I expected to see, but was delighted by!
I think William comes across as very dutiful and caring, working a long night, but not saying, " Cancel, I'm too tired."
How many Royals do you know that take their suit-jacket off, and wash in antiseptic gel, without a murmur?
Loved that he and Kate sat on patients beds. Loved William cracking jokes, and the overall laid- back manner.
As usual, they were a hit! Britain is lucky...
Spot on, as usual.

Here are some more pictures from the visit.

They probably made this little boy's day. He looks adorable and happy (albeit maybe a little shy).
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/...61_634x730.jpg

Pointing something out.
http://www2.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/P...Vtm2U8YpBl.jpg

Bring on that enthusiasm, Catherine!
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/...0G1YS/610x.jpg

Having a chat.
http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ls...2uzgo1_400.jpg

The famous guiding hand.
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/...EGbj1/610x.jpg

Love the fact that it goes both ways.
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/...nw0XG/x610.jpg

Mingling with the crowd.
http://cache4.asset-cache.net/xc/127...B3F39CE8AE6CB0

More flowers.
http://26.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ls...rmi6o1_400.jpg

His speech, and the clips of the visit made me tear up. The smiles on the faces of these children say it all.
Duke of Cambridge races from rescue mission to royal engagement - Telegraph

Video from BBC.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-15110511

Old 09-29-2011, 05:00 PM
Heir Apparent

Was a little sad to hear Alice is being treated for a brain tumour. I think last we had heard from her the cancer had left not quite too sure it has been 2 years but I hope the best for her. She really has grown hasn't she?! I read Catherine took off her engagement ring when she went inside and when she left she hadn't put it back on so I do hope she remembered to grab it before she left!
Old 09-29-2011, 05:01 PM
Heir Apparent

Daria, very nice photos and I really like the captions; I can't even say which is my favorite. I always get a chuckle when I see Kate so expressive with her hands; she must have some Italian blood in her!

Anyway, it looked like a wonderful visit that went down well and I'm in total agreement with Roseroyal's comments.

Closed Thread