The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 04:23 PM
Imperial Majesty

‘Kate & William: Romance & the Royals’ Yes, it’s Another Documentary | The Royal Correspondent

Old 09-27-2011, 04:53 PM
Heir Apparent

I like David Starkey, but will we actually learn anything new here? He'll certainly be lending an air of gravitas to this documentary.

Old 09-27-2011, 11:52 PM
Heir Apparent

Raise your hand if your gonna watch anyway?
LoL JK
I agree that I doubt there will be anything new about them in this documentary. I generally like David Starkey though like all historians, you find some things to disagree with them about.
EDIT
Watching the video now. It has little to do with William and Kate and instead is comparing them to past English couples who where the aristocratic/royal man marries an unaristocratic girl. I must admit one good thing about the wedding being over is I don't have to hear anymore about the freakin British class system. Starkey compares William and Kate to Henry and Anne Boleyn! :rolls eyes:
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 09-28-2011, 07:45 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi
Starkey compares William and Kate to Henry and Anne Boleyn! :rolls eyes:
Oh dear! If I remember right that didn't end well for Anne..... :rolls eyes: hope Kate fairs better!
Old 09-28-2011, 09:04 AM
Heir Apparent

I think that's the last couple I'd want to be compared to, given what happened to poor Anne!
Old 09-28-2011, 12:38 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
. Starkey compares William and Kate to Henry and Anne Boleyn! :rolls eyes:
Um....yikes . That's not very complimentary, considering the end of that sordid (in all sense) affair.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 09-28-2011, 03:01 PM
Heir Apparent

Yep, the only good thing that came out of that marriage was the great Elizabeth I.
Old 09-28-2011, 03:11 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baroness of Books View Post
Yep, the only good thing that came out of that marriage was the great Elizabeth I.
Precisely - practically the son he always wanted, only in a woman's body.

On a side note and offtopic, what I have wondered sometimes: would Henry have been proud of her? Or would he not have been able to look past her sex?
Old 09-28-2011, 03:37 PM
Heir Apparent

No doubt Henry would have recognized that Elizabeth was a chip off the old block with his hair, temperament, intellect and political acumen. Whether he'd be delighted that she was the reigning queen of England and the Tudor dynasty died out with her might be a good topic for another thread.
Old 09-28-2011, 06:16 PM
Heir Apparent

The entire documentary just irritated the heck out of me; Starkey picks and chooses what he wants to address about subjects, ignoring the whole story. He even blames England's continuation of royals marrying for dynastic purposes on the Hanovers. Either he is losing his touch or someone forced him to do this special; I hope it's the latter.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 09-28-2011, 06:39 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
The entire documentary just irritated the heck out of me; Starkey picks and chooses what he wants to address about subjects, ignoring the whole story. He even blames England's continuation of royals marrying for dynastic purposes on the Hanovers. Either he is losing his touch or someone forced him to do this special; I hope it's the latter.
I believe that royals were marrying for dynastic purposes well before the Hanovers (and well after them too). It wasn't just in England, but all over Europe and world for that matter. I don't know why this guy is making a big deal out of something that is a part of history.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 09-29-2011, 10:05 AM
Majesty

Duke of Cambridge races from rescue mission to royal engagement - Telegraph

Duke of Cambridge races from rescue mission to royal engagement

The Duke of Cambridge laughed off the consequences of juggling two jobs today – dashing to a crucial royal engagement after a busy night as a search and rescue pilot
Old 09-30-2011, 12:58 AM
Nobility

From skynews website: Kate was spotted at the National Gallery on wednesday and at Marlborough College last thursday.
Old 09-30-2011, 09:32 AM
Heir Apparent

Princess Cathrine is very beautiful, but there is a question 'why do the couple do not walk arm in arm or hand in hand as other couples? (Victoria of Sweden and Daniel, Philippe and Mathilde of Belgium, Frederic and Mary of Denmark
Old 09-30-2011, 10:40 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by melina premiere View Post
Princess Cathrine is very beautiful, but there is a question 'why do the couple do not walk arm in arm or hand in hand as other couples? (Victoria of Sweden and Daniel, Philippe and Mathilde of Belgium, Frederic and Mary of Denmark
Because the British Royal Family is not so much about public display of affection as other Royal Families might be/are.
The British are much more reserved.

Oh, and P.S.: she is a Duchess, not a Princess
Old 09-30-2011, 10:43 AM
Heir Presumptive

many times william and katerina walt hand in hand, remenber when leave bickingham after the wedding?

in this blog you can see some photos hand in hand
theprincessdianafan2's blog - Page 5 - Blog de sur Princess Diana , William & Catherine et Harry - Skyrock.com
Old 09-30-2011, 10:47 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by brielah-di View Post
many times william and katerina walt hand in hand, remenber when leave bickingham after the wedding?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brielah-di View Post

That was when they actually were in private - I think melina premiere means the engagements they do together.
Old 09-30-2011, 04:20 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandduchess24 View Post
It's good of them to support charities Like william's mother ,princess di since they've opened a cancer charity and it really was different for the bride to donate her dress to charity unlike others whose dresses have gone into storage then soon after to a museaum
Have I missed something? Kate donated her gown?
Old 09-30-2011, 04:20 PM
Heir Apparent

Has her dress been donated to a charity. I know it was exhibited at Buck House this summer but assumed it would go into storage until some future exhibit was done for an anniversary or the like.
Old 09-30-2011, 04:30 PM
Heir Apparent

William Kate and Harry hosted a reception on Thursday night at SJP
Quote:
Later Thursday, Kate helped William and his brother Prince Harry host a private reception at St James's Palace to thank those who have been helping their joint charitable foundation this past year.
Kate Middleton Ring: Why Wasn't She Wearing It? : People.com

Closed Thread