The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 11:28 PM
Heir Apparent

[QUOTE=Baroness of Books;1313369] What a thoughtful gesture!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daria_S View Post
. That's a very thoughtful gesture. Says volumes about their personalities.
Agree with you both! Typical of the couple.... Makes me think of Di's quote, " I want William to understand that not everyone in the world drives a Land Rover..." Meaning that she wanted him to understand that there were a lot of people worse off than him, and he should use his postion to help them. I would say, yet again, here is proof ( if we did not know it already, and it is pretty hard not to notice) that William ( and Kate too) have taken this lesson to heart...

Old 09-07-2011, 11:34 PM
Majesty

[QUOTE=roseroyal;1313838]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baroness of Books View Post
What a thoughtful gesture!

Agree with you both! Typical of the couple....
Their kindness is always refreshing to see. UK is lucky to have such thoughtful and compassionate royal couple.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 09-12-2011, 04:11 AM
Nobility

Kate and William spent this past weekend at Balmoral with the Queen and Prince Philip and Harry (for at least part of it). All of them were at Crathie Kirk yesterday attending a 9/11 service.
Old 09-12-2011, 08:04 AM
Gentry

BALMORAL CASTLE: Divine Service was held in Crathie Parish Church this morning.
The Reverend Dr. Stewart Gillan preached the Sermon.
Mr. William Henderson was received by The Queen when Her Majesty invested him with the Insignia of a Member of the Royal Victorian Order.
Mr. David Scrimgeour was received by The Queen when Her Majesty invested him with the Insignia of a Member of the Royal Victorian Order.

CLARENCE HOUSE: The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall this afternoon attended a Service at the September 11th Memorial Garden, Grosvenor Square, London W1, to commemorate the Tenth Anniversary of the terrorist attacks in the United States of America and were received by Her Majesty's Lord-Lieutenant of Greater London (Sir David Brewer).

BUCKINGHAM PALACE: The Earl of Wessex, Trustee, The Duke of Edinburgh's Award International Foundation, this morning departed Heathrow Airport, London, for Kenya and was received this evening upon arrival at Nairobi Jomo Kenyatta Airport by the British High Commissioner to the Republic of Kenya (His Excellency Mr. Robert Macaire).
Mrs. Rosemary Hamer is in attendance.
Old 09-12-2011, 11:05 PM
Heir Apparent

Any pictures from the 9/11 service?
Old 09-13-2011, 06:32 PM
Courtier

[QUOTE=Daria_S;1313840]
Quote:
Originally Posted by roseroyal View Post

Their kindness is always refreshing to see. UK is lucky to have such thoughtful and compassionate royal couple.

Please may I supply a little background information?

The GENERAL rule is that the BRF do NOT accept presents from people not known to them. There are sometimes exceptions to this rule: for example, at an agricultural or flower show, stallholders sometimes make presentations of not-very-expensive goods to visiting royals.

The MAIN EXCEPTION to the general rule I have quoted above is Royal Weddings. Members of the public were traditionally able to send in wedding presents to marrying royals. The custom in those circumstances was that the presents were put on display and members of the public invited to view them. An admission fee was charged for this, with the money going to charity. When the queen got married, the story was that one of the pieces of jewellery that she wished to wear was in fact being displayed [I think in St James's Palace] and therefore had to be retrieved pretty pronto. The first exhibition I can remember going to see was that of the presents given to the Prince and Princess of Wales. It was a fascinating exhibition, and the presents ranged from the exquisite and the costly to the inexpensive but obviously carefully chosen and/ or lovingly made or knitted. From memory, the admission fee I paid was quite modest - a few pounds - and it went to IIRC the Royal Wedding Charity the couple had set up. Someone with a better memory than me should be able to help me with this recollection.

Commercial presents - i.e. from companies, are only accepted if the company does not try to capitalise on the gift: for example, if the XYZ Bed company was to give a present of a bed to the royal couple, the bed would be immediately returned if the XYZ Bed Company was to run an advertising campaign which said ' as slept on by prince and princess ABC'

The wedding of William and Catherine was a bit different. William and Catherine announced that instead of receiving presents, they wanted people to contribute to the charity they had set up. In addition and in fact contrary to some reports, family members and friends and I believe some foreign guests did make personal wedding presents to the couple. I would also suspect that such people would also have made a charitable donation as well.

This is going to sound a bit 'off' on my part, but whilst it is of course good that William and Catherine were 'donating' the Land Rover, they were actually only 'giving' one of the gifts that had been donated in the first place for 'charitable purposes'. It wasn't therefore a completely 'new' kindness, and they were not giving something that they actually owned or had bought. But of course, it is still commendable that they were 'doing some good'. And, without trying to sound cynical, the 'publicity' that this will give Land Rover - i.e. being linked with the currently 'hottest' royals on the circuit will no doubt have a keen commercial value. Like I said, sorry to sound cynical. The main thing of course is that a good cause is going to benefit.

Hope this helps
Alex
Old 09-13-2011, 08:03 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diarist View Post

Please may I supply a little background information?

The GENERAL rule is that the BRF do NOT accept presents from people not known to them. There are sometimes exceptions to this rule: for example, at an agricultural or flower show, stallholders sometimes make presentations of not-very-expensive goods to visiting royals.

The MAIN EXCEPTION to the general rule I have quoted above is Royal Weddings. Members of the public were traditionally able to send in wedding presents to marrying royals. The custom in those circumstances was that the presents were put on display and members of the public invited to view them. An admission fee was charged for this, with the money going to charity. When the queen got married, the story was that one of the pieces of jewellery that she wished to wear was in fact being displayed [I think in St James's Palace] and therefore had to be retrieved pretty pronto. The first exhibition I can remember going to see was that of the presents given to the Prince and Princess of Wales. It was a fascinating exhibition, and the presents ranged from the exquisite and the costly to the inexpensive but obviously carefully chosen and/ or lovingly made or knitted. From memory, the admission fee I paid was quite modest - a few pounds - and it went to IIRC the Royal Wedding Charity the couple had set up. Someone with a better memory than me should be able to help me with this recollection.

Commercial presents - i.e. from companies, are only accepted if the company does not try to capitalise on the gift: for example, if the XYZ Bed company was to give a present of a bed to the royal couple, the bed would be immediately returned if the XYZ Bed Company was to run an advertising campaign which said ' as slept on by prince and princess ABC'

The wedding of William and Catherine was a bit different. William and Catherine announced that instead of receiving presents, they wanted people to contribute to the charity they had set up. In addition and in fact contrary to some reports, family members and friends and I believe some foreign guests did make personal wedding presents to the couple. I would also suspect that such people would also have made a charitable donation as well.

This is going to sound a bit 'off' on my part, but whilst it is of course good that William and Catherine were 'donating' the Land Rover, they were actually only 'giving' one of the gifts that had been donated in the first place for 'charitable purposes'. It wasn't therefore a completely 'new' kindness, and they were not giving something that they actually owned or had bought. But of course, it is still commendable that they were 'doing some good'. And, without trying to sound cynical, the 'publicity' that this will give Land Rover - i.e. being linked with the currently 'hottest' royals on the circuit will no doubt have a keen commercial value. Like I said, sorry to sound cynical. The main thing of course is that a good cause is going to benefit.

Hope this helps
Alex
Thanks for the clarification. It is appreciated.

Old 09-14-2011, 07:06 PM
Heir Apparent

Diarist, any input from you is always illuminating. Thank you.
Old 09-19-2011, 12:20 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

William and Kate have an upcoming engagement. They will be at The Royal Marsden Hospital, opening the new Oak Centre.

The Prince of Wales - Thursday 29th September 2011
Old 09-19-2011, 10:01 PM
Majesty

Another article on the upcoming visit to the Royal Marsden Hospital. I'm glad William will get to see Alice, the little girl who got to interview him several years ago. I saw the interview, and thought it was very cute. William was totally at ease, and got a kick out of being called 'Prince Harry' at the end of the interview . Looking forward to seeing Catherine's interactions with the kids (if there will be any of course).

Express.co.uk - Home of the Daily and Sunday Express | UK News :: Prince William introduces Duchess Kate to Royal Marsden NHS Foundation Trust

Old 09-19-2011, 11:14 PM
Heir Apparent

Lovely story; the charity also seems close to William's own heart due to his mother's affiliation. Great anecdote about Alice as well.
Old 09-20-2011, 02:51 PM
Heir Apparent

I will get my tissues ready!
Old 09-20-2011, 07:27 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daria_S View Post
Another article on the upcoming visit to the Royal Marsden Hospital. I'm glad William will get to see Alice, the little girl who got to interview him several years ago. I saw the interview, and thought it was very cute. William was totally at ease, and got a kick out of being called 'Prince Harry' at the end of the interview . Looking forward to seeing Catherine's interactions with the kids (if there will be any of course).

Express.co.uk - Home of the Daily and Sunday Express | UK News :: Prince William introduces Duchess Kate to Royal Marsden NHS Foundation Trust
This was a very nice article. Hopefully when the time is right Kate will become patron of a charity that is dear to her.
Old 09-24-2011, 08:42 PM
Heir Apparent

William and Kate attended a wedding today

Small pix William & Catherine | #1 Source for Updates on Prince William & Kate Middleton

an article bout William having lunch before the wedding
http://www.salisburyjournal.co.uk/ne...be/?ref=twtrec
Old 09-24-2011, 08:49 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost_night554 View Post
William and Kate attended a wedding today

Small pix William & Catherine | #1 Source for Updates on Prince William & Kate Middleton

an article bout William having lunch before the wedding
http://www.salisburyjournal.co.uk/ne...be/?ref=twtrec
Saw these on my twitter. Hope they had a good time.

Old 09-24-2011, 09:56 PM
Heir Apparent

Here are the rest of the pix the article is all about Pippa though but has pix of Kate none so far of William but he did attend
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...=feeds-newsxml
Quote:
The dress worn by Kate at the wedding yesterday was NOT by Erdem as previously thought. @WhatKateWore identified it as Collette Dinnigan.
Old 09-25-2011, 07:07 AM
Commoner

Hurray, another wedding sighting: Kate Attends Third Wedding as HRH « The Royal Post
Old 09-25-2011, 07:41 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

You next Pippa? Another Saturday, another wedding for Kate and her sister, who has the key to Alex's door | Mail Online

No pictures of William though?
Old 09-25-2011, 01:03 PM
Majesty

From what I read in that article, William bowed his head when the photographers were trying to get a shot.

Old 09-25-2011, 03:45 PM
Heir Apparent

Only pic of Wills so far but more will be available in this weeks Hello Mag
http://26.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ls...go1_r1_500.jpg

Closed Thread