The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #661  
Old 08-21-2011, 05:24 PM
Zonk's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Somewhere in, United States
Posts: 12,609
Posts that aren't moving on as Warren requested have been deleted.

Time to MOVE ON.
__________________

__________________
.

  #662  
Old 08-21-2011, 07:54 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Berkshire, United Kingdom
Posts: 650
In the spririt of trying to move one, could I try to help with a few background points, please?

I think that the only important thing is that Catherine and William took the trouble to make the visit. Unlike Charles and Diana in the early days of their marriage, William and Catherine have been keen for William to be a full time serving member of the armed forces for the moment. The consequence of this is that they have therefore taken the decision NOT to be full time working royals and have therefore performed very few public duties. The fact that they decided to visit those affected by the aftermath of the riots therefore shows, in my humble opinion, the importance that the couple attach to the sad events of the past few days.

Re expensive clothing: the fact that Royals wear expensive clothing, even when visiting poor neigbourhoods / deprived areas etc has actually been raised as an issue over the years. As various people have commented above, Catherine's clothes were [relatively] expensive. However, most working Royals [I think Princess Anne is sometimes an exception] do wear very expensive couture, and male royals' handmade Savile Row tailored suits are the equivalent of couture. Catherine's outfit was expensive, but, oddly enough, not AS expensive as a couture piece. The difference was that it - and its price tag - was immediately verifiable. Had the Queen been wearing a Stuart Parvin couture item, it would undoubtedly cost much more than what Catherine spent; the difference is that because it is unique piece, it is much harder - if not impossible - to discover what its EXACT cost would have been. And so I am certain that if the Queen had made the visit, no one would have mentioned the cost of her outfit, even though as couture it would have been more expensive than even high-end Designer.

The question of whether it is appropriate to wear expensive clothing in deprived areas has been discussed for more than a century so far as the BRF is concerned - it was ceratinly a huge issue in Victorian times amongst the Reformers, because the gulf between the haves and have-nots was far more pronounced then. There was no welfare state whatsoever. [I am guided by my American friends in what I say next, but I understand that the British Social Security system we have nowadays and our 'free at point of delivery to all' National Health System is far more comprehensive than current provision in America, and so even our British Poor and Deprived have more resources available to them than elsewhere]. There has accordingly been a tradition that British Royal Family members are not castigated for wearing expensive clothes - indeed, some social historians who have commented on this make the point that it is more patronising if the Royals 'dressed down', as well as perhaps sending an unintended message of 'we don't bother to get dressed up for the socially disadvantaged as they are not worth it'. My personal opinion is that there is nothing wrong in Catherine wearing her engagement ring. She has an expensive ring. Fact. It is surely ludicrous to try to conceal this fact. Look beyond the expensive clothes and the next question might be the much more uncomfortable one: Isn't it a bit insensitive to have a monarchy at all when there are pockets of poverty in areas of the UK. [Which is not my view]. So far as the class divide is concerned, there is a very intersting work of art that I saw at Royal Ascot, a sculpture in fact, commermorating the work that the Queen has done during her reign to try to bridge the gap between the Establishment [i.e. upper classes] and what is described as 'those from the traditional working classes' [i.e. the poor]. Compared with previous reigns, statistics show that there is [proportionally] just as much chance now of being a guest of the Queen or receiving an honour from the Queen whether one is from an Establishment or traditionally poorer background. At the start of the Queen's reign, the chance of an ordinary working person being received at at Garden Party or recieving an Order of the British Empire was practically nil. Nowadays, rank is no bar to invitation or investiture. Which is how it should be in my humble opinion.

Could I end by making a plea? I have only been a member of TRF for a few months but have had a mostly overwhelmingly positive experience here as a memeber. We all seem to come from many different parts of the globe and I daresay that some of us have very differing views. Please, therefore, can I echo people's calls for individual's views to be respected and responses made courteously, even if they differ - and perhaps considerably so - from our own views. This is particularly the case when politics are involved. Thank you.

Hope this helps

Alex
__________________

  #663  
Old 08-21-2011, 08:12 PM
Daria_S's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: My own head, United States
Posts: 8,103
Alex,

As usual, thank you for providing some very useful information. Your posts help me understand (as well as admire and appreciated) United Kingdom even more.
__________________
"My guiding principles in life are to be honest, genuine, thoughtful and caring".
~Prince William~


I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
  #664  
Old 08-21-2011, 09:36 PM
Mia_mae's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: SP, Brazil
Posts: 1,098
I stay away for a few days, and after seeing the last pages. I'm glad I did.

If Prince William and The Duchess were to meet me, I would like them to look at their best!
I'm sure those that met the couple, chose to do the same!

damn if you do, dam if you don't!
__________________
There's not much of a difference between a stadium full of cheering fans and an angry crowd screaming abuse at you. They're both just making a lot of noise. How you take it is up to you. Convince yourself they're cheering for you. You do that, and someday, they will - Sue S.
  #665  
Old 08-21-2011, 11:59 PM
Sherlock221B's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 175
Fascinating! The purpose of the duke and duchess' visit to Birmingham this past week was to show how the royal family, and thus the sovereign, is concerned about the well being of those affected by the riots. More specifically to console those who loss loved ones or their entire personal belongings or witnessed their businesses being decimated. Simultaneously offering on behalf of the royal family, and thus the sovereign, thanks to all those who assisted in controlling the fires, aiding people injured by the rioters, and protecting property from looters. And yes making a general visual assessment of the damage. However, this goal was thwarted, according to the opinions of expert attire assessors, who in general conclude that the etiquette displayed by the duchess demonstrated solely in her selection of her attire projected an air of disregard for the agony that many residents of Birmingham are currently suffering from. Fascinating.

Remarkable, how the weaving of a variety of threads into a particular pattern culminating in an item of wardrobe belonging to a certain individual in so choosing to adorn themselves with such item inflicts so much agony upon others. Poetic in fact.

It is settled...the item should be publicly destroyed and an official statement of apology should be made by the wearer and official papers outlining attire for HRHs to wear during public engagements should be published.

A little over the top? Whatever gave you that impression?
  #666  
Old 08-22-2011, 02:24 AM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: LONDON, United Kingdom
Posts: 916
JANET STREET PORTER: Dieting to live longer? Just pass me a buttered scone! | Mail Online

Kate gets it wrong according to Janet Street Porter

Scrol further down page.

Kate Middleton, you're not alone! Confessions of an eyeliner addict | Mail Online

Blue blood???
  #667  
Old 08-22-2011, 12:53 PM
BritishRoyals's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: --, United States
Posts: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherlock221B View Post
Fascinating! The purpose of the duke and duchess' visit to Birmingham this past week was to show how the royal family, and thus the sovereign, is concerned about the well being of those affected by the riots. More specifically to console those who loss loved ones or their entire personal belongings or witnessed their businesses being decimated. Simultaneously offering on behalf of the royal family, and thus the sovereign, thanks to all those who assisted in controlling the fires, aiding people injured by the rioters, and protecting property from looters. And yes making a general visual assessment of the damage. However, this goal was thwarted, according to the opinions of expert attire assessors, who in general conclude that the etiquette displayed by the duchess demonstrated solely in her selection of her attire projected an air of disregard for the agony that many residents of Birmingham are currently suffering from. Fascinating.

Remarkable, how the weaving of a variety of threads into a particular pattern culminating in an item of wardrobe belonging to a certain individual in so choosing to adorn themselves with such item inflicts so much agony upon others. Poetic in fact.

It is settled...the item should be publicly destroyed and an official statement of apology should be made by the wearer and official papers outlining attire for HRHs to wear during public engagements should be published.

A little over the top? Whatever gave you that impression?
I love it! LOL. Well said.

William & Kate visited Birmingham. They made many people happy. It seems like they boosted community morale. End of story.
__________________
*** Baby Cambridge Fundraiser === http://www.justgiving.com/BabyCambridgeFundraiser ***
  #668  
Old 08-24-2011, 01:21 AM
IloveCP's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: -, United States
Posts: 10,805
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
At this moment, I am reminded of a Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother quote, when criticized by some because she dressed up and wore pearls to visit those Londoners affected by the bombing in World War II. To paraphrase it, "They would dress up to visit me in their Sunday best, why shouldn't I do the same for them?"

I disagree with the assessment that wearing jeans, a hoodie or something else. That too me says, you are so not that important that I didn't even get dressed up. Unless of course, she was going to participate in the clean up...and than that would be a distraction from the real work that needs to be done.

Do you think that Harry, William, Charles and/or Camilla wore a cheap outfit when they did their visits? While it probably wasn't appropriate to wear such an expensive outfit (unless its something she has already worn before), wearing something cheap wouldn't be acceptable as well. Than we would be hearing about that as well.

ETA: Catherine is fairly new to the game, in the future I am sure she will recognize that perception plays an important role. With the attention of the press so focused on her and her clothes, she will learn that certain name brands shouldnt be worn for certain events. She probably didn't think that they would be able to spot the designer outfits. If the outfit wasn't so expensive we wouldn't be talking about the cost but rather the look of the outfit.
I know you told us to move on but,you gotta love the Queen Mother for saying that!
  #669  
Old 08-25-2011, 05:21 PM
ghost_night554's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 3,779
Dunno if this has been posted yet Haven't been around for a few days
Prince William and Kate Middleton's Movie Night Out : People.com

btw I've seen the snaps of them in the cinema they look so cute but I don't want to post them cause it just feels too creepy and an invasion of privacy but if you want to see them they're on twitter.
  #670  
Old 08-25-2011, 06:06 PM
Daria_S's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: My own head, United States
Posts: 8,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost_night554 View Post
Dunno if this has been posted yet Haven't been around for a few days
Prince William and Kate Middleton's Movie Night Out : People.com

btw I've seen the snaps of them in the cinema they look so cute but I don't want to post them cause it just feels too creepy and an invasion of privacy but if you want to see them they're on twitter.
I've seen some stuff about this on my twitter. The pictures from the cinema showed them from behind and were a little on the blurry side. I think one provided the side view. Catherine was in a blue top (or maybe it was grey-blue). Whatever, the shade was nice.
__________________
"My guiding principles in life are to be honest, genuine, thoughtful and caring".
~Prince William~


I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
  #671  
Old 08-25-2011, 08:26 PM
ghost_night554's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 3,779
Yup and they were at the concession stand and then there's the ones of them going through the back exit. I just thought it's pretty cool how normal they appear. Oh apparently the deal that night was a "two for one" deal so I guess you purchase a ticket and get the second free or something like that. I read it in another article.
  #672  
Old 08-25-2011, 10:00 PM
Daria_S's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: My own head, United States
Posts: 8,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost_night554 View Post
Yup and they were at the concession stand and then there's the ones of them going through the back exit. I just thought it's pretty cool how normal they appear. Oh apparently the deal that night was a "two for one" deal so I guess you purchase a ticket and get the second free or something like that. I read it in another article.
Love the economizing factor. Glad they had a good night though.
__________________
"My guiding principles in life are to be honest, genuine, thoughtful and caring".
~Prince William~


I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
  #673  
Old 08-26-2011, 10:32 AM
Baroness of Books's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Bookstacks, United States
Posts: 5,806
Love stories like this; just your neighborhood royals hanging around the local haunts and yukking it up at the movie theater.
  #674  
Old 08-26-2011, 11:03 AM
LadyCatharine's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Northeast Ohio, United States
Posts: 510
Nothing wrong with being frugal..
  #675  
Old 08-26-2011, 01:12 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: -, Netherlands
Posts: 1,406
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyCatharine View Post
Nothing wrong with being frugal..
Agreed, but is there someone who has a contrasting opinion then?
  #676  
Old 08-26-2011, 02:05 PM
Commoner
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 10
it's pretty ironic how they're considered 'economical' and then Kate will wear a $600s hat
  #677  
Old 08-26-2011, 02:06 PM
Daria_S's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: My own head, United States
Posts: 8,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baroness of Books View Post
Love stories like this; just your neighborhood royals hanging around the local haunts and yukking it up at the movie theater.
Ditto. It's great that they're getting this opportunity. They can get the rest and the recreation they have probably wanted since their wedding.
__________________
"My guiding principles in life are to be honest, genuine, thoughtful and caring".
~Prince William~


I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
  #678  
Old 08-26-2011, 04:11 PM
Baroness of Books's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Bookstacks, United States
Posts: 5,806
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
it's pretty ironic how they're considered 'economical' and then Kate will wear a $600s hat
Kate knows how to pull those purse strings tight when necessary and open them when the occasion calls for it.
  #679  
Old 09-05-2011, 01:29 PM
Daria_S's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: My own head, United States
Posts: 8,103
William and Catherine donate a Range Rover that they received as a wedding gift to a mountain rescue team in the Lake District. Lovely gesture.

William And Catherine: Duke And Duchess Of Cambridge Donate Land Rover To Mountain Rescue Team | UK News | Sky News
__________________
"My guiding principles in life are to be honest, genuine, thoughtful and caring".
~Prince William~


I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
  #680  
Old 09-06-2011, 08:48 PM
Baroness of Books's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Bookstacks, United States
Posts: 5,806
What a thoughtful gesture! Imagine getting a Land Rover as a wedding gift. It makes me wonder what else the couple received; I'm sure not all gifts were donations to charity.
__________________

Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Popular Tags
administrator archie mountbatten-windsor aristocracy bavaria;house;chef;luitpold;ludwig belgian royal family castles countess of snowdon countess of wessex crown prince hussein crown prince hussein's future wife crusades current events cypher denmark discussão duchess of cambridge duchess of sussex duke & duchess of cambridge; duke of sussex family search felipe vi foundation french royalty friendly city germany greece hamdan bin mohammed harry head of the house henry v house of bourbon house of saxe-coburg and gotha jack brooksbank jerusalem kiko king philippe letter lineage lithuanian castles marriage meghan markle memoir monaco royal monarchism monarchy official visit pakistan palaces patronages prince charles prince harry princess anne queen mathilde rania of jordan romanov family royal tour rumania russian imperial family shakespeare sharjah siblings south africa spanish history state visit sweden swedish royalty trump usa valois viscount severn



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:15 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2019
Jelsoft Enterprises