The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-19-2011, 04:24 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by fascinator View Post
This is her "Let them eat cake" moment.

Inappropriate and ostentatious.

Formality is nice but she should have worn the gray dress she wore to the tree planting in Canada or the blue suit she left for Canada wearing.

Prada and McQueen from the high street princess when visiting areas ruined by class tinged riots?

After all, in addition to police brutality, her wedding (or the decision for the public to pay for most of the expenses in a year when 75% of the youth funding was cut in the areas where the riots erupted) arguably sparked the unrest.

This gaudy getup veers toward the insensitive. It's not even typical of what she wears.
I'm sorry but this is one of the most offensive, disgraceful posts I have ever read on this forum. Suggesting that 'police brutality' is the reason 11 year olds are stealing rubbish bins from Debenhams is outrageous. And then to try and excuse the actions of these criminals by saying that it was a result of the royal wedding?!! Are you serious?!

Oh, and William and Kate had a private meeting with the families of the 3 men who were killed by these scum. When meeting people who are very deeply in mourning you wear your best clothes, however expensive they might be. In this respect Kate was completely appropriate.

Old 08-19-2011, 04:52 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by fascinator
This is her "Let them eat cake" moment.
Inappropriate and ostentatious....
This is so not her "let them eat cake moment". Far from it. Seriously, you don't think people wouldn't complain had she wore the grey dress? They would say she should have worn something dark to such a somber event, that it would be better suited for cocktails with girlfriends.

As far as the argument that her wedding played a part in sparking the unrest, I feel that argument is threadbare at best, since security was the only thing covered by taxpayers (so, no, not most of the expenses).

Old 08-19-2011, 06:26 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost_night554 View Post
Ok once again I'll be the one to chime in here. Honestly the two of them come down to visit areas affected by the riot. People who met them respected the fact they came down to visit. William and Kate both showed so much admiration for the police and other emergency force down their those nights as well as compassion to those who lost loves ones from it and all we can sit here and do is complain about her clothes? Are we serious right now? If I'm being honest who gives a crap what she was wearing I don't care if it was Mcqueen or if it was from the store down the street for me it's the actions that matter most. I don't see this in any way as being disrespectful and honestly I don't think the people who met them gave a crap either I'm sure they were just happy to meet with them.The fact they and the rest of the royal family has shown such great compassion this last week means more to me then anything else. Ok rant done had to get that out. I feel better now.I'm just tired of this bickering over what she should or shouldn't wear and has to express my honest opinion.
Well put! At the end of the day, it's the thought that counts, and I'm sure the visit lifted some spirits. Personally, if I were in the shoes of the victims, I would be glad to see that someone actually cares and wants to see what went on, and I probably won't remember what the heck she had worn, but I would remember what she said, and the fact that she showed up. This couple has compassion, and perhaps we need to pay attention to that.

And as far as this being her 'let them eat cake moment', I don't exactly follow. To me, that type of moment would be if they stayed at home, released some phony statement, and then took an expensive holiday, instead of being out and about and doing what they can to help (and yes, visiting and talking to those who have suffered is helping, because it makes the people feel like someone actually gives a darn). On that note, I'm going to stop, because really, I don't want to get kicked off of here for reading anyone the Riot Act.

I will say though, that she did look appropriate (not a fan of the attire she chose, but that's besides the point).

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 08-19-2011, 07:48 PM
Heir Presumptive

First off...Excellent post ghostnight and ITA!!

Second..I hate to break this to some of you, but *every* Royal lady dresses in designer clothes for the most part when they are out working/doing an Engagement representing the Royal Family. It's called looking good for the job and all of us have such a grouping of clothing in our closets. For some of us, that's sweaters, long sleeved shirts and pants or skirts. For Catherine and other female members of the RF, that's designer clothing.

She's not the only one to have them, she won't be the last and I think trying to criticize her for her choice of clothing by some today has officially taken over the number one spot of stupidest, silliest and pot stirring postings I've seen on this board to date on my personal list. Which considering some of the stuff I've seen posted about Crown Princess Mary of Denmark is saying something.

Catherine dressed exactly how she should dress for a visit such as this. To look at that outfit and say it's too flashy is laughable to me. It's exactly the elegant and sombre kind of an outfit you wear to visit w/someone/a group of people who have had to go through such a horrible event such as losing their loved ones in such a manner.

Good for them making the visit. That means far more to the people of Birmingham than whatever Catherine's wearing.
Old 08-19-2011, 08:08 PM
Gentry

Reading through the posts from today, I had to check if I was accidentally looking at Kate's fashion thread.

Anyway, it's nice that the whole "Wales" family (albeit at different times) went out and did their own thing in the aftermath of the riots.
Old 08-19-2011, 08:11 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by fascinator View Post
...After all, in addition to police brutality, her wedding (or the decision for the public to pay for most of the expenses in a year when 75% of the youth funding was cut in the areas where the riots erupted) arguably sparked the unrest.
I don't live in GB, but to say that the riots have anything to do with the Royal Wedding, is silly and grossly inaccurate!!! IMO. I don't think those rioting care anything about the Royals. And it was my understanding, HM picked up the tab for the Wedding...
Old 08-19-2011, 08:23 PM
Nobility

First off, that outfit was not flashy. It had gold buttons - big deal. It was navy and cream. That is more than appropriate in my view. By some of the comments you'd think she had shown up in a bright floral mini-skirt with a sequinned top.

And (gasp) there were pictures of her smiling. (The same could be said for William, Charles, Camilla and Harry on their visits too.) Kate generally has a cheerful countenance - her default expression is more smilely than not. That does not mean she didn't appreciate all that everyone had been through. It a picture of her talking to someone, she did indeed look very sympathetic.

Will and Kate are supposed to be lying low for the rest of the summer. Clearly, they thought that they needed to show support for the people of the area, so they 'came out of seclucion' for a visit. That's their job.

When they were in Canada, they used their day off to visit the devestated community of Slave Lake. It received a lot of coverage. People appreciated their effort.

I think that she is doing all that can be expected in her Royal role. People need to give her a break.
Old 08-19-2011, 08:26 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggersk8
Second........ *every* Royal lady dresses in designer clothes for the most part when they are out working/doing an Engagement representing the Royal Family. It's called looking good for the job and all of us have such a grouping of clothing in our closets. For some of us, that's sweaters, long sleeved shirts and pants or skirts. For Catherine and other female members of the RF, that's designer clothing.
Yes! And it seems to me Kate breaks out the big designers (aka McQueen...) when she's on official engagements and the (comparably) less expensive (for her) designers such as Zara etc....when she's private. I realize there is some overlap (i.e. The green DVF dress) but in general I think it's her way of saying ok now I'm a working royal/Duchess vs. Now I am just Kate,Williams wife.....at least that's my theory....
Old 08-19-2011, 08:27 PM
Heir Presumptive

I thought they both looked great. I don't think the outfit was flashy it just seemed busy with all the buttons.
Old 08-19-2011, 09:49 PM
Courtier

We don't even know how long she has had that skirt and blouse. It probably wasn't new. Just new to us.
Old 08-20-2011, 12:44 AM
Nobility

Whats does it matter what she wears as least she is turning up and mixing with the people that have been affected by these riots...Well done Kate and Wills
Old 08-20-2011, 12:46 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess-royal View Post
...does anyone else think it's a bit weird to be so dressed up when visiting a poor area devastated by riots? Her outfit is McQueen and Prada, quite formal, dressy hair... doesn't match the occasion.
I agree. That outfit must cost several hundred euros, not appropriate at all. And she could leave the engagement ring at home. She doesn´t need to show it off even when visiting a poor neighborhood.

But the point of this situation is people are getting tired of the gap between the very rich an the ones who cannot get a job. The riots were not produced by people that only wanted to steal or damage, they were sending a message. Some analists speak of a "generation without hope". In such a context, I don´t think royals are really welcomed.
Old 08-20-2011, 01:11 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosana View Post
I agree. That outfit must cost several hundred euros, not appropriate at all. And she could leave the engagement ring at home. She doesn´t need to show it off even when visiting a poor neighborhood.
Leave the ring home? You're joking right? A new bride taking her ring off? I will guarantee you that is a thought that probably never ONCE crossed Kate's mind.

My son married last year in July. A recent email from my daughter in law was signed Mrs. Tara Esper. Why? Because she still can't stop feeling so good that she can say it, write it and proclaim it to the world. I would imagine that Kate would feel the same way. Besides, if she DID remove it, the hounds would be all over her screaming "Kate removes ring in fear of riot damaged area".

OK.. back to William and Kate. I would bet too that if someone went to the area they were in visiting and did a poll of what Kate was wearing, the response would be "um a skirt and blouse" or "a dress" or "think it was blue and white?" They didn't go to meet her to read what label she was wearing. William and Kate didn't go to the area to use it as a runway. Its our perceptions that are making different allegations on an event.

Remember folks too that this wasn't exactly a scheduled royal visit on the circular for months either. All of the Wales' took time off their own schedules to do this because they mostly wanted to.. not because they had to. That's what is important.
Old 08-20-2011, 01:16 AM

Fascinator's comments are so predicatable. To even suggest that the wedding sparked the unrest etc etc...absolutely ludicrous and shows lack of thought. btw, many involved in the rioting came from "well to do backgrounds".

Leave Catherine alone; she looks good and is doing a fine job.
Old 08-20-2011, 01:26 AM

[QUOTE=rosana;1305340] And she could leave the engagement ring at home. She doesn´t need to show it off even when visiting a poor neighborhood.

Leave the engagement ring at home??? actually, why not take it one step further, why not leave William at home too....after all, they look "too much in love" with all their smiling and grinning

Ridiculous!!!
Old 08-20-2011, 04:08 AM
Heir Presumptive

Oh for crying out loud!!! Could we please get back to talking about William and Kate, which funnily enough is the actual reason for this thread? Not for attacking Kate for whatever twisted and stupid reason some have or to try and get their own agenda across, but to talk about this young couple who IMO have been doing an excellent job of things in the first few months of their Married Life.

I'm all for calling someone out for something *when* they do something that calls for it, but some of the postings in this thread are downright offensive and disgusting considering neither William or Kate have done that or anything close in the last few months. Enough already!!
Old 08-20-2011, 04:48 AM
Serene Highness

The words twisted and stupid, or as sone other poster was so kind to say, ridiculous are quite disrespectful. I´m sorry some opinions about the sad events that happened in the UK bother some people here, but I´m not very fond of the flattering "they look so good", "what a nice outfit" comments. They are there for some reason other than being praised for their looks.
Old 08-20-2011, 04:59 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosana View Post
The words twisted and stupid, or as sone other poster was so kind to say, ridiculous are quite disrespectful. I´m sorry some opinions about the sad events that happened in the UK bother some people here, but I´m not very fond of the flattering "they look so good", "what a nice outfit" comments. They are there for some reason other than being praised for their looks.
In the context of the "Duke and Duchess of Cambridge current events" it is hard to seriously discuss an event when so many are running off at a rather weird tangent venting about who wore what and how much they liked or disliked the outfits.

It's not that they are disrespectful, rather that they are frustrated. Just a wild idea here. Perhaps it is seen as twisted, stupid or ridiculous because this is about the particular current "Event" and comments about dress, etc. belong on the fashion thread!
Old 08-20-2011, 05:15 AM
Serene Highness

And when did I comment on the way the duchess is dressed, other than saying the outfit is not appropriate??? Comments like "the dress is so pretty" are by thousands, but the word inappropriate bothers. And this current "event" is about people who have been affected by riots? So what is so out of place in commenting about precisely the reasons why they are visiting them?? Some are really intolerant when royalty are not flattered but criticised.
I dont know if you have put in the situation of someone who does not have a job. It is a desperate situation for millions. I still don´t get what are they doing there other than continuing to promote the monarchy. If that is their job (I suspect it is), the Prada and the ring are inappropriate for me.
Old 08-20-2011, 05:34 AM
Courtier

Well said Rosana. At the end of the day they (william and kate) are there to promote the monarchy, and the Daily Mail is there to promote the royal family and the fashion designers. End of!

The unofficial face of McQueen: Duchess of Cambridge steps out in another design by Sarah Burton | Mail Online

Closed Thread