The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #541  
Old 08-05-2011, 05:45 AM
figtreecrossing's Avatar
Gentry
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Midwest, Australia
Posts: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
to get a nice, clean and useful image - see the recent Wills'n'Kate charm offensive.
And the cost, what is the cost of this co-dependancy with the press to the Royal Family?
__________________

  #542  
Old 08-05-2011, 05:55 AM
Duke of Marmalade's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Posts: 11,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by figtreecrossing View Post
And the cost, what is the cost of this co-dependancy with the press to the Royal Family?
Being photographed in situations they'd rather not be photographed, for example.
__________________

  #543  
Old 08-05-2011, 06:11 AM
figtreecrossing's Avatar
Gentry
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Midwest, Australia
Posts: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
Being photographed in situations they'd rather not be photographed, for example.
That's right, fudged boundaries.
It's the lack of healthy boundaries which has birthed harassment, cell phone hacking, exposure of the personal details of their lives, death if you include lack of boundaries for the death of the Princess of Wales.
I don't know how long the Family will be prepared to pay this cost.
  #544  
Old 08-05-2011, 06:46 AM
muriel's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: London / Guildford, United Kingdom
Posts: 6,446
Whilst all this debate is very interesting, I really do think it is premature. I am not convinced the photos of W&C in Holyrood park necessarily show them as being annoyed, or that they find the press intrusive. I think they are quite adept at managing the Press themselves.
  #545  
Old 08-05-2011, 08:18 AM
figtreecrossing's Avatar
Gentry
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Midwest, Australia
Posts: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
Whilst all this debate is very interesting, I really do think it is premature. I am not convinced the photos of W&C in Holyrood park necessarily show them as being annoyed, or that they find the press intrusive. I think they are quite adept at managing the Press themselves.
Respectfully Muriel, I believe this is more than Prince William and Catherine's current events.
As has been pointed out in earlier posts, the times and the "rules" have been changing rapidly since the 90's.
The government funding of security is dwindling to the point where members of the Family are set to be loose their protection. Private families, non-royals who are related to the members of the Family by marriage, are being forced to take legal measures against photographers pursuing them for photos.
It's more than a temporary annoyance on a walk in the park.
Someone one day has to call the bluff of the press. I believe William and Harry are the men with the mettle to do it.
William and Catherine are a fine couple, I believe they were born for such a time as this. Made of true Kingly material.
They don't "need" the press, the press needs them. It's a matter of courage and believing in themselves to be the head and not the tail.
I hope I'll still be around to see it happen. We will be proud of them. We certainly won't forget about them and I wager the press will fall in line eventually.
  #546  
Old 08-05-2011, 08:59 AM
Osipi's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 7,025
Quote:
Originally Posted by figtreecrossing View Post
.Someone one day has to call the bluff of the press. I believe William and Harry are the men with the mettle to do it. William and Catherine are a fine couple, I believe they were born for such a time as this. Made of true Kingly material.
They don't "need" the press, the press needs them. It's a matter of courage and believing in themselves to be the head and not the tail.
I hope I'll still be around to see it happen. We will be proud of them. We certainly won't forget about them and I wager the press will fall in line eventually.
What I am hoping is that as the public wakes up to what means some tabloids such as the News of the World employ to give the public sensationalistic scandals and the public tire of second rate reality type shows, there will be a trend back towards responsible journalism. Oh wait. I had my rose colored glasses on while typing that.

I agree that both William and Harry realize all too much what the press is like and its been stated many times that William has a very low opinion of them in general. I'd seriously hate to be someone that crosses the line with them two as I really don't think they would show mercy to anyone that overstepped their boundaries.

There are some areas that I really wish wouldn't have changed so much with the times and the media is one of them. As much as the instant information can be such an asset, there are really times I wish we could turn the clock back to the 1960s where even mentioning a W.C. in a joke on television would get censored and the press had respect for people's personal and private lives.
  #547  
Old 08-05-2011, 09:03 AM
Duke of Marmalade's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Posts: 11,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by figtreecrossing View Post
Someone one day has to call the bluff of the press. I believe William and Harry are the men with the mettle to do it.
William and Catherine are a fine couple, I believe they were born for such a time as this. Made of true Kingly material.
They don't "need" the press, the press needs them. It's a matter of courage and believing in themselves to be the head and not the tail.
I hope I'll still be around to see it happen. We will be proud of them. We certainly won't forget about them and I wager the press will fall in line eventually.
I am not sure what you are talking about? Special private law for royals = censorship?
Without the press, the royals eventually become nobody and will eventually be abolished because the public has lost interest.
Who is it who feeds the interest in the royals, especially the young generation = William & Kate:
Is it William & Kate themselves who create interest by doing such terrific duty to their country or is it rather the media who create interest by distributing all these nice pictures of the handsome couple, Kate's beautiful clothes etc.?
Its rather the media creating the interest and I am inclined to say that the royals need the media more than the media needs the royals since the media still have the celebrities people are interested in, not much different from the young royal generation by the way.

Just to add - nobody is approving of any crimial behaviour a la news of the world, phone tapping etc but a private stroll in a public park remains a perfectly legal target for photographers.
  #548  
Old 08-05-2011, 12:54 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: -, Netherlands
Posts: 1,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyger View Post
I think I read on the threads about the Danish Royalty that there is an agreement amongst the press regarding pictures and when and how and what is photographed and said. I think that's a good boundary.
We have that agreement in the Netherlands also - there is the 'Media Code': a photoshoot is arranged twice a year and for the rest we don't see the royals in private time. Working visits are documented, but the intrusion in their privacy has rapidly decreased. Before the media code, there were much more photos around. Not not so much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
to get a nice, clean and useful image - see the recent Wills'n'Kate charm offensive.
Oh please, give me a break... You sound like there is nothing sincere in this whole thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
I am not sure what you are talking about? Special private law for royals = censorship?
Without the press, the royals eventually become nobody and will eventually be abolished because the public has lost interest.
Who is it who feeds the interest in the royals, especially the young generation = William & Kate:
Is it William & Kate themselves who create interest by doing such terrific duty to their country or is it rather the media who create interest by distributing all these nice pictures of the handsome couple, Kate's beautiful clothes etc.?
Its rather the media creating the interest and I am inclined to say that the royals need the media more than the media needs the royals since the media still have the celebrities people are interested in, not much different from the young royal generation by the way.

Just to add - nobody is approving of any crimial behaviour a la news of the world, phone tapping etc but a private stroll in a public park remains a perfectly legal target for photographers.
You have an interesting way to look at this and that is the last thing I say about it.
  #549  
Old 08-05-2011, 02:25 PM
Duchess of Durham's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Durham, United States
Posts: 689
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
I am not sure what you are talking about? Special private law for royals = censorship?
Without the press, the royals eventually become nobody and will eventually be abolished because the public has lost interest.
Who is it who feeds the interest in the royals, especially the young generation = William & Kate:
Is it William & Kate themselves who create interest by doing such terrific duty to their country or is it rather the media who create interest by distributing all these nice pictures of the handsome couple, Kate's beautiful clothes etc.?
Its rather the media creating the interest and I am inclined to say that the royals need the media more than the media needs the royals since the media still have the celebrities people are interested in, not much different from the young royal generation by the way.

Just to add - nobody is approving of any crimial behaviour a la news of the world, phone tapping etc but a private stroll in a public park remains a perfectly legal target for photographers.
Special laws for royals does not equal censorship.

There are "special laws" for kids, granted it's not about taking pictures. But it is about their safety, which is what special laws for the royals would be too.
  #550  
Old 08-05-2011, 03:22 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Waterford, United States
Posts: 1,489
We really have no idea...

...about the pictures taken in the Park. Could have been telephoto lens, and W&K had no idea they were being photographed. As to the expressions on their faces, maybe they were having a little discussion:

K: "You were so embarrassing last night, so drunk, singing karaoke!"

W: "Aw, babykins, give me a break. A guys gotta have a little fun sometimes."
'
K: "But did you have to dirty dance with that actress?"

W: "I'm terribly sorry. I don't remember that part of the evening. Zara should've never had that vodka fountain."
  #551  
Old 08-05-2011, 05:24 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 633
[QUOTE=Osipi;1298248]What I am hoping is that as the public wakes up to what means some tabloids such as the News of the World employ to give the public sensationalistic scandals and the public tire of second rate reality type shows, there will be a trend back towards responsible journalism. Oh wait. I had my rose colored glasses on while typing that.[QUOTE]

Maybe not entirely unrealistic for certain limited situations, though. IMO, the deal to leave William and Harry basically alone until they finished school would not have been adhered to so well by the press if they, (the press), hadn't been so roundly blamed for contributing to Diana's death. The opinion of the public towards the press after Diana died was low enough to actually cow them a bit and make them willingly act with a bit of self restraint. The royal household knew they were in a position of strength and took advantage of it to William and Harry's benefit.

I think this most recent press scandal has disgusted a lot of people, or at least confirmed the suspicions they already had about a good portion of today's media. I'm guessing a poll done today in Britain would show that the public neither likes nor trusts the media.... not exactly a strong bargaining position should the royals and their team decide to set more stringent limits. And I also think the idea of Diana being "hunted" to death by the media is still a fairly powerful one with a lot of people, (although not a strictly accurate one).
  #552  
Old 08-05-2011, 05:24 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Los Angeles CA, United States
Posts: 1,082
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladongas View Post
...about the pictures taken in the Park. Could have been telephoto lens, and W&K had no idea they were being photographed. As to the expressions on their faces, maybe they were having a little discussion:

K: "You were so embarrassing last night, so drunk, singing karaoke!"

W: "Aw, babykins, give me a break. A guys gotta have a little fun sometimes."
'
K: "But did you have to dirty dance with that actress?"

W: "I'm terribly sorry. I don't remember that part of the evening. Zara should've never had that vodka fountain."
  #553  
Old 08-05-2011, 05:35 PM
Daria_S's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: My own head, United States
Posts: 8,114
That's great!
__________________
"My guiding principles in life are to be honest, genuine, thoughtful and caring".
~Prince William~


I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
  #554  
Old 08-05-2011, 06:23 PM
Baroness of Books's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Bookstacks, United States
Posts: 5,808
LOL, that is priceless! And how can we know that a similar conversation didn't take place, unless there were lip readers also lurking in the bushes?
  #555  
Old 08-05-2011, 07:06 PM
Zonk's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Somewhere in, United States
Posts: 11,382
Okay time to move on.........
__________________
.

  #556  
Old 08-06-2011, 06:33 PM
Commoner
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: san francisco, United States
Posts: 41
Kate Middleton and Prince William: How the Royal Couple Is Just Like Us - ABC News
  #557  
Old 08-06-2011, 09:50 PM
Mia_mae's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: SP, Brazil
Posts: 1,101
Someone on twitter post a picture with the couple. Don't have the details yet, but apparently it was taken during a rugby match.

yfrog Photo : http://yfrog.com/khnrebdj Shared by 1Djennie
__________________
There's not much of a difference between a stadium full of cheering fans and an angry crowd screaming abuse at you. They're both just making a lot of noise. How you take it is up to you. Convince yourself they're cheering for you. You do that, and someday, they will - Sue S.
  #558  
Old 08-06-2011, 10:41 PM
Daria_S's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: My own head, United States
Posts: 8,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mia_mae View Post
Someone on twitter post a picture with the couple. Don't have the details yet, but apparently it was taken during a rugby match.

yfrog Photo : http://yfrog.com/khnrebdj Shared by 1Djennie
Just saw that a few minutes ago on my twitter, but wasn't sure if it would be proper to post it since it wasn't my picture. Thank you for sharing though. I'd love to know how they managed this one.
__________________
"My guiding principles in life are to be honest, genuine, thoughtful and caring".
~Prince William~


I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
  #559  
Old 08-07-2011, 01:02 AM
ghost_night554's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 3,785
aw what a cute picture! Lucky bums so jealous but very nice of William and Kate to happily pose for pictures.
  #560  
Old 08-07-2011, 02:57 AM
Osipi's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 7,025
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost_night554 View Post
aw what a cute picture! Lucky bums so jealous but very nice of William and Kate to happily pose for pictures.
Did anyone else besides me get the impression that photo was photoshopped somehow? It just seems that the way Wills and Kate are dressed seem out of place for the picture.

Then again, I may be seeing something that really isn't there.... its late.
__________________

Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Popular Tags
ascot 2016 bavaria belgian queen mathilde best gown best gown september 2016 best hat best jewels best outfit best summer outfit 2016 camillas eveningwear catherine middleton style countess of wessex's daytimewear coup d'etat crown princess mary crown princess mary fashion current events duchess of cambridge dutch state visit e-mail fashion fashion poll gothia cup greece iceland infanta elena outfit kate middleton king abdullah ii king willem-alexander march 2016 member introduction monarchy new zealand norway november 2016 october 2016 opening of parliament picture of the week prince charles princess beatrice fashion princess madeleine princess marie princess marie hats princess mary princess mary fashion queen letizia queen letizia casual outfits queen letizia daytime fashion queen letizia fashion queen mathilde queen maxima queen maxima casual wear queen maxima daytime fashion queen maxima fashion queen maxima hats queen maxima style queen rania queen rania casual outfit queen rania current events queen rania daytime fashion queen rania fashion september 2016 state visit state visit to denmark succession sweden the duchess of cambridge the duchess of cambridge casual wear the duchess of cambridge daytime fashion the duchess of cambridge fashion the duchess of cambridge hats


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:18 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017
Jelsoft Enterprises