The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 05:18 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippy View Post
And since William is not overly keen on the press, should he keep to his private grounds and keep his mouth shut and face on "happy mode" when on public grounds?
No- he can frown if he wants to.

Old 08-03-2011, 05:52 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippy View Post
Not necessarily chased or harmed, but bothered. I was simply stating the different opinions about this particular thing.
If it was my own private time, and I wanted to take a walk in a beautiful park with my other half without being hassled by the press taking photos from bushes, I'd take a large black umbrella with me. If I spotted cameras, I'd hoist the umbrella in that direction. It would ruin any good photos.
The couple need to develop some easy creative ways to foil good photos

Old 08-03-2011, 06:11 PM
Courtier

In the pictures I've seen neither William or Kate looks overly bothered about having their picture taken. The most I can see - if I look hard - is mild annoyance in some of the shots. Mostly, though, they just look like many other couples would if you took a random picture of them walking in a park.

I've noticed that William and particularly Kate are good at staying neutral when being photographed. I think this is probably the best way to handle the situation because what the paparazzi want is an emotional reaction of some kind - makes for better pictures.
Old 08-03-2011, 06:26 PM
Heir Apparent

And who knows, maybe it was simply the topic they were discussing that William was responding to. As another poster might have mentioned, we can't always affix emotions or try to interpret what we see in photos. Unless, of course, it's really obvious what they might be reacting to in the photo.
Old 08-03-2011, 08:38 PM
Royal Highness

Considering how long both have been having their picture taken I'm gonna assume while they may not love it every second they're prob not annoyed much by it anymore or surprised and have learned to ignore it. I agree with other posters that the facial experessions are probably reactions to the conversation....
Old 08-03-2011, 10:06 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritishRoyals View Post
William & Kate's feelings for each other is personal. Your opinion, my opinion and everyone else's who don't know them personally are speculative at best. From my personal point of view, I find no reason to suspect that William isn't in love and completely devoted to his new wife. I think they are carrying themselves with good grace, class, discretion and dignity befit of their future roles.

... May I say that you have responded also in good grace and with class, I very much like your post and believe that it sums up the feelings on many many people, Thank you.
Old 08-04-2011, 12:38 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by figtreecrossing View Post
If it was my own private time, and I wanted to take a walk in a beautiful park with my other half without being hassled by the press taking photos from bushes, I'd take a large black umbrella with me. If I spotted cameras, I'd hoist the umbrella in that direction. It would ruin any good photos.
The couple need to develop some easy creative ways to foil good photos
Thats a no-no for William & Kate in their position. They need the media for survival and cannot afford to annoy them in such "normal" situations in public places.
It is well known that especially Charles & William loathe the media and they are already on the edge within their boundaries of what can be done to avoid them, cant go any further without threatening their own position.
Just imagine William came out with a black umbrella every time he is "private", public opinion would turn against him very quickly.
Old 08-04-2011, 01:38 AM
Serene Highness

This conversation reminds me of something Betty Ford said. She was the wife of the late President Gerald Ford. Betty Ford died a month ago. She had been a very beautiful young woman who was a model in her youth. She understood what was needed from her as the wife of a congressman, as a newlywed and later. That being said, still she said this - clearly there are points when the 'pressing in' is felt as intolerable -

Betty Ford Quote -
“From the outside, our life looked like a Norman Rockwell illustration,” Mrs. Ford said at one point. Nevertheless, by 1962, she was seeing a psychiatrist twice a week because, as she put it, “I’d lost my feeling of self-worth.”

“I think a lot of women go through this,” she said. “Their husbands have fascinating jobs, their children start to turn into independent people and the women begin to feel useless, empty.”

Later, when she accompanied her husband on campaign trips more frequently, she acknowledged that that, too, was not all fun. At one point, she recalled, she was in an airport and “through clenched teeth said: ‘I don’t want anyone to come over and talk to me. I just want to sit here all alone and finish this cigarette.’ ”

I think the inability of some well-known people from whatever walk of life to have the ability to go about their business without comment or fear of being told about to the press puts them in an intolerable life condition.

I was raised in New England USA and grew up in a small town that had scads of well known people living there and/or passing through. No one treated them anyway but as regular folks. Once a well known actor who raised his family in the town gave an interview in which he commented on the fact that he could sit at a cafe table out in the open and not one person would give him a second look. He indicated that having that freedom was precious to him.
Old 08-04-2011, 07:22 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
Thats a no-no for William & Kate in their position. They need the media for survival and cannot afford to annoy them in such "normal" situations in public places.
It is well known that especially Charles & William loathe the media and they are already on the edge within their boundaries of what can be done to avoid them, cant go any further without threatening their own position.
Just imagine William came out with a black umbrella every time he is "private", public opinion would turn against him very quickly.
I do get your point about the look of the black umbrella but do you know what it sounds like you're describing?
A relationship of co-dependancy between the Royals and the Press.
If that is the case it doesn't sound healthy
Old 08-04-2011, 07:48 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by figtreecrossing View Post
I do get your point about the look of the black umbrella but do you know what it sounds like you're describing?
A relationship of co-dependancy between the Royals and the Press.
If that is the case it doesn't sound healthy
but it is the truth. royals depend on public opinion and the media have huge impact on public opinion. there are deals going on all the time, eg william being left alone during uni in exchange for exclusives from time to time, two other examples for media influencing public opinion is prince andrew resigning as foreign business embassador or camilla not attending the diana memorial.
there are certain boundaries that are better not overstepped, for the media but as well for the royals. black umbrellas in order to prevent photos on private occasions on public grounds would be one, for certain.
Old 08-04-2011, 12:35 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade

I agree.
The media is important for royals and celebrities alike. I can't remember his name but there was a particular celebrity who was hassled by the press day and night. He eventually fended off and annoyed the press and media boycotted him, they didn't take his pictures anymore and he went downhill from there.

William and Kate do not like it but they have to tolerate it. It's a give and take situation. The press is vital for their survival.
Old 08-04-2011, 01:33 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownPrincess5 View Post
William and Kate do not like it but they have to tolerate it. It's a give and take situation. The press is vital for their survival.
I don't think anyone has the 'right' to intrude, to strip someone of their privacy.

If the press is vital for their 'survival' - in what way? - then its not worth surviving - whatever it is. Who the heck cares what 'the press' thinks?

Other monarchies are able to have daily going-about-their-business lives. The Swedish King and Queen apparently went food shopping every Sunday afternoon as their children were growing - what an image of normalcy and saneness - family life in full view and without intrusion.

The concern will always be the corrosive nature on the psyche of those being subjected to such unrelenting scrutiny. 'The public' has a 'right' to the protocol and ceremony - but since when did it become a 'right' to the personal, every day 24/7?
Old 08-04-2011, 01:52 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyger View Post
I don't think anyone has the 'right' to intrude, to strip someone of their privacy.

If the press is vital for their 'survival' - in what way? - then its not worth surviving - whatever it is. Who the heck cares what 'the press' thinks?

Other monarchies are able to have daily going-about-their-business lives. The Swedish King and Queen apparently went food shopping every Sunday afternoon as their children were growing - what an image of normalcy and saneness - family life in full view and without intrusion.

The concern will always be the corrosive nature on the psyche of those being subjected to such unrelenting scrutiny. 'The public' has a 'right' to the protocol and ceremony - but since when did it become a 'right' to the personal, every day 24/7?
I agree...
Old 08-04-2011, 02:06 PM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:

When was that? In the 1980ies? Media world has changed since then and its not about the royal good guys and the media bad guys. Royals use the media for their own purposes as much as the media uses the royals for their purposes.

Back to William & Kate - they have been courting the media to the full eg during their trip to Canada & the US, they got all the nice & sugary coverage, very good for their image, and in return they will have to take in to be photographed while taking a walk or grocery shopping. Its a business deal, no harm on either side.

Of course they would like to be photographed only when they like and the media only coming up with pre-approved stories but those times when royals were untouchable are thankfully over.
Old 08-04-2011, 03:04 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyger

I'm sorry but what year are you living in? We're far away from the 70s and 80s. I agree that they need a certain amount of privacy. But how much privacy you expect them to get when they're strolling outside in the public? If they want true privacy then I say stay at home. Will and Kate are smarter than people think. They know what theyre doing. I just don't get why everyone feels sorry for them. I guarantee they don't feel sorry for themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade

When was that? In the 1980ies? Media world has changed since then and its not about the royal good guys and the media bad guys. Royals use the media for their own purposes as much as the media uses the royals for their purposes.

Back to William & Kate - they have been courting the media to the full eg during their trip to Canada & the US, they got all the nice & sugary coverage, very good for their image, and in return they will have to take in to be photographed while taking a walk or grocery shopping. Its a business deal, no harm on either side.

Of course they would like to be photographed only when they like and the media only coming up with pre-approved stories but those times when royals were untouchable are thankfully over.
Exactly!
Old 08-04-2011, 03:48 PM
Courtier

The interesting thing to me will be how they handle things when they have a baby. There's going to be a massive amount of interest in that child growing up. I expect William and Kate will want something similar to the deal that was put in place for William and Harry after their mother died - leave them alone in school, etc in exchange for a certain number of photo ops and interviews.

The British royals aren't entirely independent of the media but they're certainly not in the same position as some B list celebrity. They have a lot more clout, they don't depend on non stop media coverage for their livelihood and the law appears to be on their side if they reach their limit. The press may not like all the limits that are set, but the press is not all powerful, either.
Old 08-04-2011, 05:08 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by camelot23ca View Post
The interesting thing to me will be how they handle things when they have a baby. There's going to be a massive amount of interest in that child growing up. I expect William and Kate will want something similar to the deal that was put in place for William and Harry after their mother died - leave them alone in school, etc in exchange for a certain number of photo ops and interviews.

The British royals aren't entirely independent of the media but they're certainly not in the same position as some B list celebrity. They have a lot more clout, they don't depend on non stop media coverage for their livelihood and the law appears to be on their side if they reach their limit. The press may not like all the limits that are set, but the press is not all powerful, either.
Exactly - so to say that the royals need the media for survival is an exaggeration, in my opinion. They are not all ashes and dust without.

The media favouritism is changing continually, some might last longer than others, but it is not permanent so if one would be dependent on the media I would declare that a very unhealthy case.
Old 08-04-2011, 06:52 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
When was that? In the 1980ies?
Not so very long ago - in the 1980's and 1990's - during the era of Charles and Diana, et al., in fact. Apparently the whole family went on the shopping trips - and the Queen then cooked Sunday supper. Sounds very sweet - the Queen talked about it in an interview.

Quote:
Media world has changed since then and its not about the royal good guys and the media bad guys.
Yes and no. Its about cultural or societal standards of behavior toward a country's royalty - how they are treated, respected, allowed to be in their lives. If one wants more normal, sane and balanced royals this kind of boundary would foment that.

Quote:
Royals use the media for their own purposes as much as the media uses the royals for their purposes.
What are the purposes the royals use media for? I know the media use them for money.

If you're talking about the charity stuff, I personally think that raison d'etre has gone too far. Its quite one thing to go about it in one's own backyard - helping out one's subjects, noblesse oblige and all that - quite another to start imagining relevance beyond one's own turf. that's when it starts getting squirrelly.

Quote:
Back to William & Kate - they have been courting the media to the full eg during their trip to Canada & the US
You're right there - especially coming to LA.

Quote:
they got all the nice & sugary coverage, very good for their image
There I would agree and actually the LA visit was an eye opener. The polite little articles on the visit were pure PR and bore no resemblance to their often uncomfortable 'progress' among the US common folk. They would have been better to have ended their official trip in Canada - then popped down to LA on the quiet, showing up only at the BAFTAS. As it was they over-taxed themselves (Kate certainly) and created an unfortunate impression.

Quote:
and in return they will have to take in to be photographed while taking a walk or grocery shopping. Its a business deal, no harm on either side.
I disagree there's no harm. The harm is happening. I see it.

I don't agree its a business deal - are they making money? William and Kate have a formal role they discharged in Canada as members of the BRF. I would say the 'deal' is between the BRF and the press or their subjects.

Quote:
I wouldn't say thankfully. I think it might be a good time to re-visit the 'old days' of protocol - or one is going to find the situation rife with looney-toons happening with regularity.

In fact if there is any argument that is persuasive for the Commonwealth countries abolishing the British Monarch as their Head of State it is the low grade media/royal hand-in-glove arrangement. Sadly, the BRF no longer has an impeccable reputation in deportment (and I'm not alluding to Charles - Charles has done fine). It is the overly personal nature of the monarchy or the realtionship to the monarchy - too emotional abetted by the British press, that is the 'deal' that will ultimately unravel the BRF's existence IMO.

I think I read on the threads about the Danish Royalty that there is an agreement amongst the press regarding pictures and when and how and what is photographed and said. I think that's a good boundary.
Old 08-04-2011, 10:20 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:

I like your reponse.
Old 08-05-2011, 12:36 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
What are the purposes the royals use media for? I know the media use them for money.
to get a nice, clean and useful image - see the recent Wills'n'Kate charm offensive.

Closed Thread