The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #61  
Old 09-17-2018, 12:48 PM
soapstar's Avatar
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Hermosa Beach, United States
Posts: 5,055
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
I fail to see how it goes both ways? Did we whine about William advocating for male suicide or Kate wanting to champion children? No? Ok, then.

Unfortunately I have seen people whine about those things. There are always complaints about the charities and initiatives that royals choose to champion. I imagine Meghan is aware that she will not please everyone and will do as other royals before her, and just continue on.

This is an excellent initiative for Meghan to get involved with and I applaud the idea of getting a cookbook together. I actually pre-ordered a copy.

It’s nice to see that Meghan has gotten involved with the community. In fact, I’m happy and encouraged to see the work that all the younger royals have done in regards to Grenfell.
__________________

__________________
  #62  
Old 09-17-2018, 12:49 PM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: *******, Canada
Posts: 8,195
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
I fail to see how it goes both ways? Did we whine about William advocating for male suicide or Kate wanting to champion children? No? Ok, then.

And is the cookbook it? I'd say that's a pretty big project to get the idea, secure the publisher, get everyone together to contribute, work with the photographer throughout the months, and finally putting it all together. Believe it or not, there is a lot of logistics involved in putting out a book.
Clearly since William and Kate have been mentioned 3 or 4 times already today in Meghan’s current events thread, they’re now considered on topic? I know in the past youve been against this sort of thing.

Im not sure if you’re using the royal ‘we’ but yes I lot of people do whine about the Cambridges and their charities.

There probably are a lot of logistics to putting out a book, but Meghan didn’t put out a book. I’m going to stick to the facts and not get caught up in hyperbole.
__________________

  #63  
Old 09-17-2018, 01:01 PM
Osipi's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 13,267
Perhaps it would be more on target to say that Meghan was instrumental in securing the success this book has had so far. Already sold out in many places. On Amazon's top list in the Food and Drink department and currently the third best selling book in the UK.

It was a joint effort between Meghan and the Hubb Community Kitchen to raise funds. I seriously doubt that Meghan would ever claim authorship or any kind of kudos for its success. Through her, it all came together and the world knew about this book and its selling like proverbial hotcakes.
__________________
No law can be sacred to me but that of my nature. Good and bad are but names very readily transferable to that or this; the only right is what is after my constitution, the only wrong what is against it.

~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~
  #64  
Old 09-17-2018, 01:06 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Norfolk, United States
Posts: 5,282
Both Emily Nash and Omid reported on her helping securing a publisher. The royal correspondents typically do get more background information than we do and they have passed them along at times (Omid also posted a behind the scene video if anyone is interested). As for it being her idea, it was clearly stated by one of the women in the beginning, Meghan asked why they only run two days a week, and she told Meghan "funding", and Meghan responded with a cookbook. One of the women even initially dismissed it because she didn't think it was possible. I also read from one of the reporters that she worked with the photographer closely for months. I'll eventually find it, but I'm running late right now and can't remember off the top of my head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
Clearly since William and Kate have been mentioned 3 or 4 times already today in Meghan’s current events thread, they’re now considered on topic? I know in the past youve been against this sort of thing.

Im not sure if you’re using the royal ‘we’ but yes I lot of people do whine about the Cambridges and their charities.

There probably are a lot of logistics to putting out a book, but Meghan didn’t put out a book. I’m going to stick to the facts and not get caught up in hyperbole.
I've not been against using precedence. I'm just against using one to put down the other. That's the difference between us here. I'm actually not trying to put anyone down, imagine that.

I've not whined about Cambridge and their charities, and I don't believe the specific poster you were talking to whined about them only supporting children or men. Nor was the nitpicking going both ways applicable in that specific post.

And the fact is Meghan did more than writing a foreword.
  #65  
Old 09-17-2018, 01:36 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: alpine village, Germany
Posts: 2,278
Fact is: this is the culture of the people who lived in the Grenfell Tower and who nearly died in the fire. If cooking for them is the women's job (plus bringing the kids and supervise them) then that's the way it is. If the tower was lived in by "normal brits", then surely their community would look different, but I'm sure it would get supported too by Meghan. It's all about that in times of need, you stick together and help each other and thus create a future for all of you to live in.

Keeps me wondering if the idea to invi8te people from their charities to the wedding venue at Windsor castle was not based on this experience of "coming together".
Nice one, Duchess!
  #66  
Old 09-17-2018, 01:36 PM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: *******, Canada
Posts: 8,195
I have no issue with it being Meghan’s ‘idea’. The Hubb kitchen was where she wanted to make her introduction to royal life. The kitchen is underfunded. How can we raise money for a kitchen... I know how about a cookbook. It’s not exactly a eureka moment is what I’m saying.

The recipes aren’t hers. I’m not sure what working with photographer for months mean either. Surely he’s a professional photographer. The pics look very cookbook-ish

None of that translate into Meghan ‘putting out’ a cookbook. At least not by my way of thinking.

I’ve said Grenfell Towers is a good cause. I’ve said it’s a good first step Meghan. The royal family have been active with this since the fire last year.

William just made an appearance on BBC 1 last week for Grenfell Towers.
  #67  
Old 09-17-2018, 02:04 PM
Elenath's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Nuth, Netherlands
Posts: 577
I understand where Rudolph is coming from, but, looking at the photos of these women, most of them seem to come from cultures where gender roles are more strictly enforced. We could have an endlessly long discussion on how that’s sexist, but it’s no more sexist than mens clubs. I bet most of these women feel better/safer/more comfortable without strange men running around.
As for Williams’ support mens suicide charities, I quite certain there is less support for men with mental health problems than for women. Just like rape support tends to focuse on women and not men... unfortunately.
  #68  
Old 09-17-2018, 02:14 PM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: *******, Canada
Posts: 8,195
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elenath View Post
As for Williams’ support mens suicide charities, I quite certain there is less support for men with mental health problems than for women. Just like rape support tends to focuse on women and not men... unfortunately.
Suicide is the leading cause off death in the U.K. for men under 45. Not cancer, not car crashes, suicide.
  #69  
Old 09-17-2018, 02:19 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Norfolk, United States
Posts: 5,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
I have no issue with it being Meghan’s ‘idea’. The Hubb kitchen was where she wanted to make her introduction to royal life. The kitchen is underfunded. How can we raise money for a kitchen... I know how about a cookbook. It’s not exactly a eureka moment is what I’m saying.

The recipes aren’t hers. I’m not sure what working with photographer for months mean either. Surely he’s a professional photographer. The pics look very cookbook-ish

None of that translate into Meghan ‘putting out’ a cookbook. At least not by my way of thinking.

I’ve said Grenfell Towers is a good cause. I’ve said it’s a good first step Meghan. The royal family have been active with this since the fire last year.

William just made an appearance on BBC 1 last week for Grenfell Towers.
When I talked about putting out a book, I did so in general terms. I was very clear in the steps, which is putting it together. And that is very instrumental. Again, my point is is that this book is far more than just writing a foreword and you choose to describe it as earlier.

Nowhere did I, or anyone else, in this thread said they were her recipes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elenath View Post
I understand where Rudolph is coming from, but, looking at the photos of these women, most of them seem to come from cultures where gender roles are more strictly enforced. We could have an endlessly long discussion on how that’s sexist, but it’s no more sexist than mens clubs. I bet most of these women feel better/safer/more comfortable without strange men running around.
As for Williams’ support mens suicide charities, I quite certain there is less support for men with mental health problems than for women. Just like rape support tends to focuse on women and not men... unfortunately.
To add to the cultural implications, Meghan has been very well aware and sensitive to the cultural aspect in her advocacy for gender equality. However, just because this book is about women cooking together, it doesn't mean we are stereotyping women a certain way. Helping them put something like this together and having the funds to expand their work is empowering women and allowing them the chance to do what they want to do. Even if men were in the kitchen.
  #70  
Old 09-17-2018, 02:54 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Woodbridge, United States
Posts: 894
Because it is not said enough I think that all Four have stepped up to the plate regarding Grenfell Towers. The entire world watched this tragedy occur. This tragedy occurred in their backyard so they fact that they are heavily involved in the rebuilding of a community should be acknowledged!



I am impressed by what Meghan has done is such a short amount of time. Between getting engaged, moving to a new country, dealing with a hostile press, dealing with family backed by a hostile press, get married, learn her new position, deal with protocol police, deal with the fashion police....all that and she was able to connect with the community and create a full blown cookbook! I'm very impressed and look forward to what the FOUR will do next.
  #71  
Old 09-17-2018, 03:40 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Norfolk, United States
Posts: 5,282
https://www.harpersbazaar.com/celebr...-solo-project/

Quote:
The Duchess—who had a hand in the book’s creative process, including bringing on British travel and food photographer Jenny Zarins to capture beautiful images for the title at a Kensington Palace kitchen—shares what inspires her about the community project in the book's foreword. “The kitchen buzzes with women of all ages; women who have lived and seen life; laughing, chatting, sharing a cup of tea and a story, while children play on the floor or are rocked to sleep in their strollers,” she writes.
  #72  
Old 09-17-2018, 03:51 PM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: *******, Canada
Posts: 8,195
So the pics aren’t actually from the Hubb Community Kitchen? They’re stylised facsimiles from KP?

One other thing I noticed as well. It’s too bad the name of the actual charity didn’t make it on to the front cover. If I noticed this in a bookstore I wouldn’t know what it’s about other than a forward by Meghan
  #73  
Old 09-17-2018, 04:24 PM
Empress Merel's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: -, Netherlands
Posts: 2,584
Awesome, heartwarming initiative. I´m not necessarily a fan of cooking, but the food really does look delicious and the victims of the Grenfell Fire deserve all the support, and then some more.
  #74  
Old 09-17-2018, 04:43 PM
Zaira's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: A, United States
Posts: 816
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
So the pics aren’t actually from the Hubb Community Kitchen? They’re stylised facsimiles from KP?

One other thing I noticed as well. It’s too bad the name of the actual charity didn’t make it on to the front cover. If I noticed this in a bookstore I wouldn’t know what it’s about other than a forward by Meghan
stylized facsimiles? Every cook book is centered around stylized pics with editing and stuff behind them. I am not sure what is unusual about that?

And the food was presumably made by the women of the Hubb for the purposes of being photographed in the book/on the front cover. I think its very cool that Meghan opened up KP's kitchen for this purpose.
  #75  
Old 09-17-2018, 04:49 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Norfolk, United States
Posts: 5,282
From Forbes:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/micheli.../#273ee5bd33bc

Quote:
The book can be considered a publishing coup for Penguin Random House. The project was kept under very tight wraps, getting no notice in a season that is filled with new cookbooks, which normally are mailed to reviewers months in advance in order to generate attention.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaira View Post
stylized facsimiles? Every cook book is centered around stylized pics with editing and stuff behind them. I am not sure what is unusual about that?

And the food was presumably made by the women of the Hubb for the purposes of being photographed in the book/on the front cover. I think its very cool that Meghan opened up KP's kitchen for this purpose.
I believe professional chefs put it together, but it's made with the women's recipes. This isn't surprising given that this is a professionally put together cookbook in every sense of the word. This isn't some random book that people just slapped together. All of the cookbooks that I've seen and bought have professional editing as well as placements. It never looks quite as good (not a direct reflection to taste ) when I make it at home because I'm not a professional chef with a degree in culinary arts. Neither are these women. Their role in this is to provide the recipes and their stories (content) and others will do the packaging.
  #76  
Old 09-17-2018, 04:53 PM
Zaira's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: A, United States
Posts: 816
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
Really awesome to see how much coverage this is getting! What a coup for the Hubb community. These women are extraordinary and deserve all the credit for coming together for their community.

This is exactly the sort of project I hope we continue to see Meghan support.
  #77  
Old 09-17-2018, 04:55 PM
Pranter's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 10,721
Good grief...can we not just appreciate her attempt to help these folks with a fundraiser? Does it have to be turned into a feminist/sexist, why aren't men there, she's taking too much credit, it's not really her recipes, they aren't really cooking at the location etc etc etc.

She's trying to help folks within that community in a way that blends her interests and their culture. She's not just sending them a check.



LaRae
  #78  
Old 09-17-2018, 05:03 PM
Princess Larisa's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: ., Croatia
Posts: 2,710
The cookbook is the number one bestselling book, in all categories, on Amazon UK
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Best-Sellers-Books/zgbs/books
  #79  
Old 09-17-2018, 05:04 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Norfolk, United States
Posts: 5,282
Well, well, well, it's now unavailable on Amazon in US. Presumably sold out? At least their allotted amount for this batch.

It's currently #4 in bestseller for overall books on US Amazon. It overtook Chrissy Teigen's cookbook and Skinnytaste as #1 in cookbooks overall.
  #80  
Old 09-17-2018, 05:12 PM
Zaira's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: A, United States
Posts: 816
Yup, its now sold out on Amazon US, which is MAJOR. What an amazing feat for this community!
__________________

Closed Thread

Tags
current events, duchess of sussex


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Duke and Duchess of Sussex: Official Visit to Morocco - February 23-25, 2019 Rossina Royal Family of Morocco 245 03-07-2019 02:54 PM
Duke and Duchess of Sussex, General News 2: December 2018 - February 2019 soapstar Current Events Archive 675 02-20-2019 05:26 PM




Popular Tags
"chinese gordon" bavaria;house;chef;luitpold;ludwig belgian bonaparte british royal family britishroyals ceremony christian ix clothes corruption countess of wessex crown prince hussein crown prince hussein's future wife current events daughter daughters denmark duchessofcambridge duchess of sussex duke of cambridge duke of sussex duke of york extramarital affairs family search fashion french royalty friendly city germany greece harry infanta cristina introduction juan carlos kate middleton kiko king meghan markle monogram northampton osborn patronages prince harry prince harry of wales prince laurent prince of belgium princess anne princess claire public opinion queen elizabeth quizz rania of jordan royal royal ladies royal wedding sarah duchess of york savoy saxony siblings soldier south africa state visit surname the crown titles uk styles trump valois van belgië viscount severn wedding windsor castle



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:18 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2019
Jelsoft Enterprises