The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 01:34 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicki J View Post
Looks like none of us know the facts, all any of us knows is what the papers tell us and that doesn't give anyone the right to judge. How do you know she was being groomed for the job, she didn't even appear on the Princes' arm in public, least of all get a chance to be groomed, she was even banned from sitting with him at that wedding for gods sake.

Sophie Wessex should have more, she's been the wife of a royal for quite a while.
I chose to believe the Court Circular which is published in the times.
If Charles wanted to marry Camilla, it makes sense that she would be prepared for the task ahead before the announcement of an engagement.

She wasn't allowed by his side because she wasn't his wife, grooming doesn't have to involve first hand experience. That wedding if you are referring to the Van Cutsem one, was protocol.

Sophie granted has been a royal since 1999, but she is the wife of the 4th child, I expect Camilla to do more than Sophie.

Old 01-03-2010, 02:42 PM
Heir Presumptive

I have the sneakiest suspicion that if Camilla were doing the same amount of engagments as the DoE people would be up in arms as well. Saying who is she trying to be, stop rubbing her in our face, stop trying to be like Diana, etc etc.

Personally, I would love for the Duchess to do more and Im sure as time goes by she will. But Camilla is in an entirely different postition to the DoE or the blood royals. Camilla was lucky enough to live a easy life up until know. And at an age when many are retireing she has had to do a complete lifestyle change, throw in an illness, her children marrying and starting families, and a not so supportive public. I think the Duchess is doing a fine job balancing everything in her life.

She makes the future King happy, she is always there for her children and grandchildren, she does a quality job with her charitys and patronages. I couldnt ask for more.

Out of curiousity, how many engagments do the other consorts-to-be do, ie Mary, MM, Mathilde, Maxima, Letizia....ha, I just realized how many Queen M's there is going to be.

Old 01-03-2010, 02:53 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princejohnny25 View Post
Out of curiousity, how many engagments do the other consorts-to-be do, ie Mary, MM, Mathilde, Maxima, Letizia....ha, I just realized how many Queen M's there is going to be.
The only way I think is to count them, as far as I know official results aren't published like in the Court Circular.
Old 01-03-2010, 02:54 PM
Administrator

Princejohnny25...as always you make excellent points.

Prior to marrying Charles, Camilla other than being a homemaker has never had a full time job. And yes, she had made an effort to adapt after what 50 plus years of not working?!

Should she do more engagement? Yes, she should but I think its ridiculous that people would expect her to change her life and within 3 to 5 years do 300 plus engagements a year. Its unreasonable IMO. It needs to be a gradual addition. Plus she did have major surgery to deal with that pretty much sidelined her for two to four months?

And finally, you are very correct. At this point it doesn't matter what Camilla does. If she did 300 engagements a year people would still complain. Anne does that and people complain about her clothes. Diana did that and people focused on her clothes and her personal life (and yes, she did add fuel to that fire). Phillip does it and people focus on a couple of things that he says (which truthfully aren't too PC but he is still working). Charles does that and people are still talking about his first marriage. Honestly, its getting rather tiresome. Diana is dead. Life is for the living and we should all move on.

Old 01-03-2010, 03:09 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by laduchesse View Post
I think that's great to hear the Duchess of Cornwall has increased her number of engagements, but sometimes I think it's easy to get caught up on quantity and not quality. She is doing a good job at what she does. Most importantly, one sees a much happier Prince of Wales who appears more confident and happy, in my opinion. She may not perform as many engagements, but I think we shouldn't lose sight that 1) she was not born into royalty; 2) she hasn't been royal as long as the others; 3) most people at her age would not be ramping up their workload, but rather slowing down, and she is indeed adopting a much busier and demanding lifestyle; and 4) most people similar to the Duke of Edinburgh's age wouldn't be able to keep up his lifestyle, nor would many people close to her age be trying to secure as busy a schedule as the Duke. She is indeed becoming more productive each year. She has overcome a more difficult transition than others marrying into the royal family and she has dealt with some medical issues. She is effective in her supporting role and you can see an increased confidence in her as well. Kudos to the Duchess.
Well put, laduchesse! I agree wholeheartedly with your assessment.
Old 01-05-2010, 09:14 PM
Serene Highness

I have to say that I admire Camilla for taking on a new royal life, including a roster of royal duties, in her fifties. Maybe in some ways that transition might come easier for someone older (than Diana and Sarah were back in the 80s, anyway) but in other ways it must be harder. Considering that Camilla married into the royal family less than five years ago, while some of those born into the family have been doing royal engagements for decades, I don't think she does too little at all.
Old 01-05-2010, 09:38 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by laduchesse View Post
I think that's great to hear the Duchess of Cornwall has increased her number of engagements, but sometimes I think it's easy to get caught up on quantity and not quality. She is doing a good job at what she does. Most importantly, one sees a much happier Prince of Wales who appears more confident and happy, in my opinion. She may not perform as many engagements, but I think we shouldn't lose sight that 1) she was not born into royalty; 2) she hasn't been royal as long as the others; 3) most people at her age would not be ramping up their workload, but rather slowing down, and she is indeed adopting a much busier and demanding lifestyle; and 4) most people similar to the Duke of Edinburgh's age wouldn't be able to keep up his lifestyle, nor would many people close to her age be trying to secure as busy a schedule as the Duke. She is indeed becoming more productive each year. She has overcome a more difficult transition than others marrying into the royal family and she has dealt with some medical issues. She is effective in her supporting role and you can see an increased confidence in her as well. Kudos to the Duchess.
Here! Here! Wonderfully said!
Old 01-05-2010, 09:43 PM
Heir Presumptive

I'm having trouble buying into the logic of how someone who married into the family in their 50's should be carrying less workload than some one in their late 80s. Also, if she's not willing/able/inclined to do it now at 61, do you seriously think Camilla will be more willing/able/inclined to pull her weight at 70 or 80 or more when the Queen dies and Camilla will be whatever-consort?
Old 01-05-2010, 10:49 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter View Post
I'm having trouble buying into the logic of how someone who married into the family in their 50's should be carrying less workload than some one in their late 80s. Also, if she's not willing/able/inclined to do it now at 61, do you seriously think Camilla will be more willing/able/inclined to pull her weight at 70 or 80 or more when the Queen dies and Camilla will be whatever-consort?

You seem to have trouble comprehending the fact that she has only been in the family for 5 years and has steadily increased her workload in that time.

She also has to increase the organisations with which she is associated and that too is increasing and as that number increases so to will her engagements. Without organisations asking for her she can't do engagements for thenm. Yes she can seek to work for organisations but the organisations have to also agree to it - and if they are happy with the 88 year old or the other royals, or are holding out for Kate, or some celebrity, then she can't just turn up.

She also sees her job as primarily one in support of her husband rather than striking out on her own so she does a lot with him rather than individually and when he becomes King, as his Queen Consort, she will do even more.

To compare her to Philip is a bit unfair as he has been doing this since about the time she was born and therefore is used to it whereas she has to learn to do things, at an age when most of us are learning to give up work, and that will take her just as long as it does people who retire.

She is doing what she is being asked to do as the heir's consort and doing it very well. She will be a wonderful Queen Consort for one simple reason - she is able to make her husband relaxed and comfortable in his role and that is her first duty.

Philip had two options when, as a man in his early 30s he became the consort to the monarch - to either sit on his backside and do nothing or to carve a role for himself by getting involved in causes that had meaning for him. Camilla is the same - choosing, and being chosen by, causes that have meaning for her.
Old 01-06-2010, 09:51 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
I'm having trouble buying into the logic of how someone who married into the family in their 50's should be carrying less workload than some one in their late 80s. Also, if she's not willing/able/inclined to do it now at 61, do you seriously think Camilla will be more willing/able/inclined to pull her weight at 70 or 80 or more when the Queen dies and Camilla will be whatever -consort?
Lets not forget that the Queen and the DoE often carry out a number of quite short engagements, where they may receive somebodyu at the Palace but not spend too much time. As a result, they may often get quite a few engagememts done in a day, whereas Camilla, being a more junior royal, probably travels a lot more to her engagements, and probably spends a lot more time at them.

That aside, I do think Camilla needs to get the engagement count up, just as she has been, and aim for around 300-350 engagements next year. In her role, it is not just about working hard, but also to be seen to be working hard.
Old 01-06-2010, 07:47 PM
Heir Presumptive

I agree. And if you check the Court Circular, many of her engaements are perfunctory as well.

I understand that she's been married into the family for 4+ years. However, I think it's extremely unrealistic to say that Camilla will be increasing her engagements as she gets older. If she's not doing it in her early 60s she certaily wont be doing it in her late 70s. And Iluv bertie....It's not that I dont 'comprehend' your rationalization of Camilla overly light work load. It's that I dont accept it as a reasonable excuse for her doing as few engagements as she does.
Old 01-06-2010, 08:08 PM
Majesty

Quote:
I agree. And if you check the Court Circular, many of her engaements are perfunctory as well.

I understand that she's been married into the family for 4+ years. However, I think it's extremely unrealistic to say that Camilla will be increasing her engagements as she gets older. If she's not doing it in her early 60s she certaily wont be doing it in her late 70s. And Iluv bertie....It's not that I dont 'comprehend' your rationalization of Camilla overly light work load. It's that I dont accept it as a reasonable excuse for her doing as few engagements as she does.

So how do you think she should increase her engagements if she isn't asked to do things?

She can't simply just turn up you know.

It is also because of people like you, who are so fanatical about Charles' late first wife, that many organisations are wary about asking her to take them on due to knowing that many people will argue that that was one of Diana's causes so how dare Camilla get involved? She is also aware of this problem and so is choosing her causes carefully so as to avoid that accusation but...

She is condemned by those same supporters for not doing enough despite increasing her engagements since starting, but of course to many people such as yourself, she isn't doing enough, and no amount of statistics or logic will satisfy them.

If she got involved in causes close to Diana, or even ones that Diana was only lightly associated with, she would be condemned but as Diana had so many causes it doesn't leave a lot for Camilla but even so that isn't a good enough explanation for some people. Camilla has found causes that have meaning for her and with which Diana wasn't associated and as more companies see what she is like, and as her popularity also rises, slowly but it is rising, she will get more organisations asking for her as well.

She is increasing her engagements - the statistics prove that. She will continue to do so along with Charles, just as the Queen and Philip will continue to cut back (the statistics are clear here as well).
Old 01-07-2010, 04:05 AM
Heir Presumptive

I saw a docco a few weeks ago about Charles and Camilla's relationship over the years and the difficulties they encountered during the breakups of their respective marriages and the steps that were taken to slowly introduce Camilla to the RF and the public and to get her finally accepted by the Royal Family and the public. Despite all the scrutiny and unpleasantness and nasty press directed at her during their very public divorces, and continuing today, Camilla has behaved with good grace and dignity with a smile on her face. If I'd been put through what she went through in the public eye I think I'd be thumbing my nose at everyone and sitting in the garden with a G&T reading Horse & Hound, but she is better than me. She has hung in there and proved her dedication and love by taking on the difficult job of being Charles' wife and consort at an age when most of us would look at the prospect of taking on such a public, lifetime job with the promise of an increasing workload, with horror.

IMO Camilla has settled in well and is doing a good job. She has brought out the best in Charles and made him smile again and her support makes his load easier. IMO that is her main function.

I don't think it matters that she does fewer engagements than other members of the RF who were either born to their job or married into it when relatively youthful. The ones she does she seems to do well, and we know she does a lot of stuff behind the scenes that does not get publicity. It's not a competition to see who can do the most engagements. All their situations are different, and Camilla also has her own two children and their families to share her time with.
Old 01-07-2010, 05:15 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn View Post
I saw a docco a few weeks ago about Charles and Camilla's relationship over the years and the difficulties they encountered during the breakups of their respective marriages and the steps that were taken to slowly introduce Camilla to the RF and the public and to get her finally accepted by the Royal Family and the public. Despite all the scrutiny and unpleasantness and nasty press directed at her during their very public divorces, and continuing today, Camilla has behaved with good grace and dignity with a smile on her face. If I'd been put through what she went through in the public eye I think I'd be thumbing my nose at everyone and sitting in the garden with a G&T reading Horse & Hound, but she is better than me. She has hung in there and proved her dedication and love by taking on the difficult job of being Charles' wife and consort at an age when most of us would look at the prospect of taking on such a public, lifetime job with the promise of an increasing workload, with horror.

IMO Camilla has settled in well and is doing a good job. She has brought out the best in Charles and made him smile again and her support makes his load easier. IMO that is her main function.

I don't think it matters that she does fewer engagements than other members of the RF who were either born to their job or married into it when relatively youthful. The ones she does she seems to do well, and we know she does a lot of stuff behind the scenes that does not get publicity. It's not a competition to see who can do the most engagements. All their situations are different, and Camilla also has her own two children and their families to share her time with.

What a great post - agee 100%.
Old 01-07-2010, 07:14 AM
Administrator

On that note we'll leave Camilla and 2009 and move into 2010.
The Duchess of Cornwall current events 13 commencing January 2010 can be found here.

¨

Tags
camilla, duchess of cornwall