The Duchess of Cambridge Current Events 3: January-December 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly Ish. It is simple enough. I expect that if the sums turned out to be quite profitable (due to a visit) they would be published and the RF would use them. Because they are not readily mentioned I expect it is what you say and the exercise is down to raising awareness (not actually profitable in a monetary sense). Although, it could be argued that in Kate's case the awareness is more on her appearance and clothing. Aren't the fashion houses happy?;)

EACH has stated that Kate's patronage has been enormously beneficial. I remember that their fundraiser bracelets sold out because of her. And I don't believe the Royal Family is in the business of using donation figures to sell themselves to the public.

Also it shouldn't be hard to figure out that big donors will give a lot for the chance to be at a function with members of the royal family. I have no doubt whatsoever that these patronages are quite valuable to the organizations. The 100 Women in Hedge Funds sponsorship of Action on Addiction happened because of Kate. That's going to be huge for that organization.

EACH has stated that Kate's patronage has been enormously beneficial. I remember that their fundraiser bracelets sold out because of her. And I don't believe the Royal Family is in the business of using donation figures to sell themselves to the public.

Also it shouldn't be hard to figure out that big donors will give a lot for the chance to be at a function with members of the royal family. I have no doubt whatsoever that these patronages are quite valuable to the organizations. The 100 Women in Hedge Funds sponsorship of Action on Addiction happened because of Kate. That's going to be huge for that organization.

I guess I am a figures girl Hermione. I need more than "enormously beneficial" or "bracelets sold out" without the numbers to back it up. The downfall of being in business I suppose. The issue with fundraising events is that although the rich will indeed pay to see the royals, the event can be so expensive to run that the profit margins can be low or worse, the event runs at a loss. It can take not-for-profit organisations years of running the same event before it turns a profit!

At the end of the day, if the English are happy with the way things are with the royals (costs, etc.), that is good enough. It is they who pay, it is their RF. So long as my tax money does not go to them, I am happy!:D

Royal Reporter (Victoria Murphy) had said in her articles recently that Catherine's new charities will be announced soon and William's military future will also be announced soon. I'm guessing this month or next. The Cambridge's like announcing things on or near their wedding anniversary.

Soon was the first two weeks in January, then February and there has been no mention since. I doubt an "announcement" will ever arrive.

In some cases, some of the royal correspondents already know due to their palace briefings. I guess it's all about timing.

Don't registered charities in the U.K. have to issue annual reports? If so, it would be easy to determine from reading those. I would assume if they do issue the reports, they'd be available to anyone.

I guess I am a figures girl Hermione. I need more than "enormously beneficial" or "bracelets sold out" without the numbers to back it up. The downfall of being in business I suppose. The issue with fundraising events is that although the rich will indeed pay to see the royals, the event can be so expensive to run that the profit margins can be low or worse, the event runs at a loss. It can take not-for-profit organisations years of running the same event before it turns a profit!

At the end of the day, if the English are happy with the way things are with the royals (costs, etc.), that is good enough. It is they who pay, it is their RF. So long as my tax money does not go to them, I am happy!:D

Then why not contact EACH to ask them how many bracelets they sold before Kate was involved with them and how many were sold afterwards?

Trying to boil the value of the royals and their activities in charity down to a single number is patently absurd. It's just not possible. We cannot guess how much EACH would've raised last year if Kate were not involved with them. Forecasting such things is incredibly difficult at the best of times, let alone in the middle of economic crisis. We also can't put a number on the increased awareness as a result of the huge publicity their connection with Kate is worth. If EACH had to buy the space in the newspapers, TV or the internet that Kate's patronage gets them for nothing, it would cost many millions. Those numbers also wouldn't include the boost to the morale of staff and fundraisers, for whom having a member of the RF acknowledge the debt of gratitude we all owe them, is of enormous value.

One number we do have is in the difference Kate has made for the royals' own charities:

The Foundation of Prince William and Prince Harry, now renamed The Royal Foundation of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Prince Harry, raised £4.8 million in 2011, compared with just £629,000 in 2010, before the Duke and Duchess announced their engagement.
'Kate effect' boosts Princes' charity by £4.2m - Telegraph

The BBC has looked in to the benefits to charities in having a royal patron:

After much consideration, the Duchess of Cambridge has announced details of four charities of which she has chosen to become patron. But what does it mean to a charity to get a royal patron?

The practice of members of the Royal Family lending their names to organisations through formal patronages is thought to have been around for about three centuries.

According to the British Monarchy, the first recorded patronage was George II's involvement with the Society of Antiquaries, sometime in the 18th century.

But in recent years, the prevalence of patronages, particularly among charities, seems to have got more prolific. Take the Queen, who has accepted more than 600 patronages, and the Duke of Edinburgh, who has accumulated 700.

The Prince of Wales, for his part, has clocked up the title of patron or president of more than 400 organisations and set up the Prince's Trust.
So how beneficial is it for charities to have a royal figurehead?

The National Osteoporosis Society's Siobhan Hallmark says the charity has been "enormously fortunate" to have had Camilla, now the Duchess of Cornwall, as its president since 2001 because she has "worked tirelessly to raise awareness. Having watched her own mother suffer the painful and debilitating fractures caused by osteoporosis, she knows only too well the devastating effects of fragility fractures," she says.

Rob Cope, director of Remember A Charity, agrees that royal patrons are incredibly hard working and their status helps charities - who are vying for public money and media attention - raise their head above the parapet.

He thinks royals frequently have more credibility than celebrities, and are able to reach different demographics such as older generations.

Then there is the small factor of their connections, which can boost the bottom line.

"Whether it is engagements, events or theatres attendances, the royals draw in other well-connected donors and celebrities. There is no doubt that royals drive millions and millions of pounds to the charity sector every year," he says.

Stephen Cook, the editor of Third Sector, a voluntary and not-for-profit sector magazine, says the value of royal patronage is unproven, but he cannot imagine that any charity would turn down a royal patron, certainly from a fund-raising point of view.

"It offers charities the opportunity to have event receptions at Buckingham Palace or Clarence House, which is very attractive, and they are often overflowing with high-profile attendees. In some cases it gives wealthy supporters of a charity an opportunity to meet the royal patron - that can be part of the pull, especially for supporters and donors," he says.

Mr Cook concedes there is always the possibility some people, such as republicans, might be put off charities by a royal patron, but he believes they would be well outnumbered in Britain.

And he says some alliances are not always seen in a positive light. "When Prince Andrew went through a tough time with the media, it was bound to have an effect to some extent on his attractiveness as a patron. When the Duchess of York was all over the tabloids the Motor Neurone Disease Association considered breaking with her," he says.

But Mr Cook says, in general, charities connected to the Royal Family are viewed as more trustworthy by the public because people think they will have done their due diligence.

In fact, he says research in the 2010 edition of the Charity Brand Index suggests that charities with the word royal in their headline - such as the Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (RSPCA) and the Royal British Legion - are a "supercharged version of the royal patron" because they scored most highly on the trust index.

Prof Cathy Pharoah, co-director of the centre for giving and philanthropy at Cass Business School at City University, London, agrees that royal patronage changes the public perception of a charity. "It's an endorsement that their work is reputable and high quality," she says, adding that royal patrons are highly sought-after.

Another benefit is royals have increasingly got involved with new charities or causes that struggle to attract mainstream attention, she says.
"The Princess of Wales championed Aids, which was a bit of a taboo, and landmines, which was a lesser-known cause, while William and Kate's charitable gift fund had little-known charities and focused on young people, children in care and carers and bullying."

There is also evidence to suggest royal patronage can lead to a growth in public support, she argues. She cites the Charity Market Monitor, which studies the annual finances of the top 500 charities. It showed the fund-raised income of the top services/ex-services charities from the public grew by a real 6.2% in 2009-10, compared with an average fall of -1.1%. Prof Pharoah says: "The support of the royal princes for services and ex-services charities has been hugely important. Those areas were very much seen as a legacy of the past, but they've brought a new awareness to it and made it a more immediate cause.

"It was like when William and Kate chose charitable causes as part of their wedding celebrations, they chimed in with the mood of the moment."
BBC News - Why do charities want a royal patron?

EIIR, thank you for your extensive post. No real number crunching there, just suggestions of it and "generalisms". However, as I previously stated:

"At the end of the day, if the English are happy with the way things are with the royals (costs, etc.), that is good enough. It is they who pay, it is their RF. So long as my tax money does not go to them, I am happy!"

William and Harry's foundation was boosted by the tune of £4.2million in the first year that Kate became a part of it. That's a number. The polo event that the Royal Foundation's American arm held in LA which William and Kate attended, made £1million in profit for the Foundation. That's also a number.

It's simply not possible to try and isolate Kate's financial impact on EACH or Action on Addiction etc. Governance of charitable organisations is pretty good in the UK. If a charity was losing money as a result of having a royal patron, the relationship would end, it's as simple as that. Were there not an overall benefit to charities in having royal patrons, then the demand for royal patronage would not be so high.

Oh, and by the way, it's not just English taxpayers who pay for the RF. Us Northern Irish, as well as the Scots and the Welsh also fund the activities of the RF and are happy to do so.

Oh, and by the way, it's not just English taxpayers who pay for the RF. Us Northern Irish, as well as the Scots and the Welsh also fund the activities of the RF and are happy to do so.

And of course we also fund official residences in London and the countryside for various members of the government, not just the PM.

William and Harry's foundation was boosted by the tune of £4.2million in the first year that Kate became a part of it. That's a number. The polo event that the Royal Foundation's American arm held in LA which William and Kate attended, made £1million in profit for the Foundation. That's also a number.

It's simply not possible to try and isolate Kate's financial impact on EACH or Action on Addiction etc. Governance of charitable organisations is pretty good in the UK. If a charity was losing money as a result of having a royal patron, the relationship would end, it's as simple as that. Were there not an overall benefit to charities in having royal patrons, then the demand for royal patronage would not be so high.

It's actually vice versa. The RF at one point in history gave up their personal estate which had provided their private income from which they built their palaces, supported their households, gave grands etc. in exchange for a funding through parliamental control. But - they never got as much back as the "Crown Estate" brought in revenues. So instead of building new Royal residences or buying new jewels, parintings etc. , the income from the "Crown Estate" has been used to support "Chequers" and other governmental residences and buying art for the offices of the government. (Plus of course a lot on the revenue is used to support British citizens who are not taxpayers).

Which is okay, of course, but I wish this never-ending lament about "the taxpayer pays for the RF" would stop when it is in fact the other way round. In other countries, when the monarchy ended, the former reigning families could keep their "Crown estate", only the Royal palaces who were bought with the official apanage became public property....

From twitter:
georgia ‏@georgiabebb_ (This girl is from East Carlton)
Just saw Kate Middleton and I was on tv ahahah

beaclifford ‏@bea_clifford1
Kate middleton's in corby!! And so's the belgium tv people

Any idea idea of what she can be doing in Corby?

rose @rosiegrahamxxoAs if one my friends is serving kate middleton at the races tomorrow

Kate at Cheltenham races - Cheltenham Gold Cup Day - tomorrow?

Maybe yes

Caitlin ‏@KateWillWatch
RT @daisylethbridge Omg just saw Kate Middleton in @Topshop Oxford Circus and she is even more beautiful in real life!!!!! ����

I have to say, Catherine is looking quite lovely and very healthy. Im so happy for her. Im glad she was able to be at the races with everyone and that she is now enjoying her pregnancy. Now it is a count down and a time to see her blossom even more. Cant wait till the big day.

Caitlin ‏@KateWillWatch
RT @AdrienneSender Pretty sure I just saw Kate Middleton walking through Kensington Gardens! #london

Has been released more info about the rumour engagement of Catherine and The Queen for this Thursday? I hope it turns out to be true...

Has been released more info about the rumour engagement of Catherine and The Queen for this Thursday? I hope it turns out to be true...

Nothing on twitter. It's supposed that Catherine is stepping in for The Queen but it hasn't been widely reported.

Seems it was a mistake made by Hello. But let's wait and see :flowers:

There is no appointment in the Royal diary for the Queen until 28th March

Wow, looking forward to the engagement.

Ahhhh so it ended up to be true and earlier than expected, I'm seeing the pictures now!

The Duchess is back at Anglesey

Shar ‏@Starflower68 12m
@KateWillWatch Spotted Kate earlier in my local supermarket x

Caitlin ‏@KateWillWatch 5m
@Starflower68 Very cool. Thanks for letting me know. May I ask the location?

Shar ‏@Starflower68 1m
@KateWillWatch Anglesey, no probs hun x

I'm intrigued as to what count as a "current event" these days. There's very little to say about Catherine apparently shopping in Anglessey. I think lines are being blurred.

If what Kate is doing is shopping in Anglesey, I suppose that is her current event. If Camilla popped into the local supermarket to pick up a few groceries, I think that would find its way onto her current events page. :) Actually the idea invites an interesting comparison between the two.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom