The Duchess of Cambridge Current Events 3: January-December 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
He is, in the fact he's the son of the Prince of Wales, but he is not Prince William of Wales anymore he is The Duke of Cambridge. Wales is nowhere in his title since he married nor will it be unless he becomes Prince of Wales.

That's why I said we just have to get used to his Dukedom.

It's the same in Quebec. Women keep their original surnames.

I think there was a reason why the French used their maiden names. William is no longer Prince William of Wales. Now it's TRH The Duke & Duchess of Cambridge.

That's why I said we just have to get used to his Dukedom.

I'm not sure why you quoted my post as I never said otherwise. Catherine has never been a "Wales" so it's hard to understand the misunderstanding sometimes.

I was just agreeing with you, Lumutqueen.

Mountbatten-Wales? I thought Charles and descendants last name would remain Windsor and the Queen others children would be Mountbatten-Windsor?

You're right ... I don't know how I did that. It's Mountbatten-Windsor, not Mountbatten-Wales. I should pay better attention to what my fingers are doing if they're not conveying what my mind is thinking!:p I've edited my post. Thanks for the heads-up.

Last edited:
The thing to be remembered about names is that, while it's hard to remember in the era where everybody has lots of official documents, under common law systems your name is generally whatever you call yourself so long as you do it without the intent to defraud people. She's free to use Cambridge or Wales or Mountbatten-Windsor or Windsor or Sparklepuff if she pleases.

Now that is interesting - I didn't know that. GB has quite other laws than we have in Germany and Switzerland. Here you cannot call yourself whatever you like, you have to petition for a name change - and not every name change is granted, you have to have a valid reason for that.

Thank you very much @wbeson

Duchess of Cambridge out and about in london today:

Jam Lillywhite@jamielillywhite
Just walked past Kate Middleton + her two security in the street doing some shopping in central london. Unbelievably, she didn't remember me

Johanna Gervin ♡@littlejogervin
Just met Kate Middleton.....she was so lovely and stunning!! :)

kimberly owen@Kimberly3107
Lovely to see kate Middleton out and about shopping today! What a beauty x

Caryse M@Brwneyegirl25
She's deff out and about today!! glad shes feeling better.RT @CharWheeler17: My dad just served KATE MIDDLETON

^^^^^
I feel rather sorry for her. Her every move is being tracked and reported on by the general public who are becoming just as bad if not worse than the paps.

NGalitzine said:
^^^^^
I feel rather sorry for her. Her every move is being tracked and reported on by the general public who are becoming just as bad if not worse than the paps.

Honestly I think a lot of that is the product of there being no other news of her to report. We don't really hear these stories in weeks where she's making appearances

I agree; I think it's because of the lack of appearances that causing such a flurry of interest in her casual activities.

Honestly I think a lot of that is the product of there being no other news of her to report. We don't really hear these stories in weeks where she's making appearances

Can't say that I think that makes it OK.

but i do like that no pictures are turning up - or very obscure ones if they do. It sounds as though people are being more respectful of her privacy.

It's not okay but the royal stories are a bit dried up at the moment. The press tried to stretch the Harry interview story as much as possible but now everybody is looking for something else. We know HRH will be back to performing some official engagements soon.

I too like that the private pictures of her out and about aren't being published.

Last edited:
^^^^^

Well, I'd certainly be excited if I saw her while out shopping. At least all of these sightings are NOT accompanied by pictures, which I think is very nice.

In the age of Twitter these royals have not one iota of privacy. Their every move is recorded. To a certain extent the rest of us have seen the same thing as all sorts of public records are now readily available with a few keystrokes. To another extent we do it to ourselves with Facebook, etc, etc. These days we only have any real privacy to the extent people are disinterested in us.

It might not be right, but there's no way to stop it. It's not necessarily the press - it's Twitter.

I happen to think that because there are many people who feel that the BRF is supported with taxpayer money, and that their lives are privileged just due to accident of birth/marriage (and we can go on endlessly about how they are/are not - not really the point - it's the perception rather than the reality which counts here), and because royals have no real function with the death of any concept of Divine Right - there is a feeling that we are all entitled to know her every move and she is or is not doing what we think she should/should not be doing. She must have some function in society, and we have turned her function into being little more than a circus animal - there for our amusement.

I am not saying that this is my view of her and the BRF, but as they try to carve out a purpose for themselves in 21st century life, they must take care not to help foster this view.

It's my belief that the whole concept of monarchy will end at some point in the 21st century not because they are voted out, but because it will become so untenable to live the life of a royal, that they will all opt out.

Can't say that I think that makes it OK.

Oh neither do I and I didn't mean to imply otherwise. I imagine it's very difficult to have your movements tracked like that and your every moment reported on.

I will say, at least these reports don't contain pictures (I find the pictures taken of her by the public when she's not looking REALLY intrusive) and are very vague- just "Hey we saw her walking around somewhere today".

:previous: Ok that's gone way off topic. :whistling:

It is addressing the points raised about Kate's privacy. The point is, in the internet age, she does not have any, nor do we. She's not going to get it back either.

It's my belief that the whole concept of monarchy will end at some point in the 21st century not because they are voted out, but because it will become so untenable to live the life of a royal, that they will all opt out.

This is an interesting topic, care to start a new thread?

This is an interesting topic, care to start a new thread?

There exists a thread to discuss which monarchy will "go" next. There is also a thread to discuss British Monarchy and the press.

----------------------

@RoyalReporter: The Duchess of Cambridge is back at work and holding meetings with charities and others "virtually daily", aides say. Daily Express today.

Always good to hear Catherine is doing well and working.

There exists a thread to discuss which monarchy will "go" next. There is also a thread to discuss British Monarchy and the press.

----------------------

@RoyalReporter: The Duchess of Cambridge is back at work and holding meetings with charities and others "virtually daily", aides say. Daily Express today.

Thanks Lumutqueen.

Actually, all I see is a flowing cape and no bump.

Last edited:
You're not going to see much of a bump under a loose cape like that. I think that was the idea of her wearing the cape.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom