The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #481  
Old 03-07-2013, 05:36 PM
AfricanAUSSIE's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 532
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
The well-wishers were kept waiting for 70 minutes longer than expected because the Duchess had opted to fly to Grimsby by helicopter rather than taking the train, and thick fog prevented her leaving London on time.
St James’s Palace defended the decision to use the Royal Flight’s helicopter, at a cost of up to £4,000, rather than buying train tickets for £216 return, which would have enabled the Duchess to arrive in good time for her first engagement of the day.
A palace spokesman said: “A number of factors are always taken into account when considering royal travel arrangements, including what the member of the Royal family is doing before and after the engagements, and it was decided that the best way to travel was by the Royal Flight helicopter.”


Duchess's slip of the tongue may have given away baby's sex - Telegraph
Thanks Tommy, that is interesting information. I wonder if any research is done after each individual royal visit to gage its success from the point of view of the charity? It would be worth while I think. Public cost vs effectiveness for the charity.
__________________

__________________
  #482  
Old 03-07-2013, 05:59 PM
cepe's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 4,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfricanAUSSIE View Post
Thanks Tommy, that is interesting information. I wonder if any research is done after each individual royal visit to gage its success from the point of view of the charity? It would be worth while I think. Public cost vs effectiveness for the charity.
What charity - not all royal visits are to charities or patronages. She officially opened a school at one of the 3 events.

over 1000 people attended across the 3 events - thats about £4 per person cost if you need a measure, but really!.

The use of the helicopter is authorised by HMQ

7 hours round journey travelling time London to Grimsby by public transport.

Risk of delay regardless of mode of transport.

It all comes out of the budget allocated. As long as the budget doesnt overspend what is the problem? And Grimsby has a really tough time with unemployment - particularly youth unemployment. The visit appeared to have a good public response.

You cant measure it!
__________________

__________________

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
  #483  
Old 03-07-2013, 06:05 PM
Anna Catherine's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: U.C., United States
Posts: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post

What charity - not all royal visits are to charities or patronages. She officially opened a school at one of the 3 events.

over 1000 people attended across the 3 events - thats about £4 per person cost if you need a measure, but really!.

The use of the helicopter is authorised by HMQ

7 hours round journey travelling time London to Grimsby by public transport.

Risk of delay regardless of mode of transport.

It all comes out of the budget allocated. As long as the budget doesnt overspend what is the problem? And Grimsby has a really tough time with unemployment - particularly youth unemployment. The visit appeared to have a good public response.

You cant measure it!
I think AfricanAUSSIE is just asking about the impact of their visits on the charities, schools, etc. after the royals visit. Like do they monitor the success of their visits and see if they were successful or if the visit or opening or whatever helped in any way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfricanAUSSIE View Post

Thanks Tommy, that is interesting information. I wonder if any research is done after each individual royal visit to gage its success from the point of view of the charity? It would be worth while I think. Public cost vs effectiveness for the charity.

I know the press will sometimes report on it, but it's usually just about how she has helped the fashion industry. I think you'd have to dig deeper to find that info. I'm sure it's our there:).
__________________
  #484  
Old 03-07-2013, 06:43 PM
cinrit's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Deep South, United States
Posts: 376
There have been reports from some of the charities she's associated herself with, saying that donations have increased since her association with them. It would be surprising if contributions didn't increase, since Kate's link with them give them a larger presence in the media, if only for a time. And hopefully, some who may not have known of the charity or organization previously, become interested enough to continue to donate.
__________________
  #485  
Old 03-07-2013, 06:51 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Toronto (ON) & London (UK), Canada
Posts: 5,261
I believe Princess Anne was asked about this and she responded that it was very hard to measure and pretty much left up to the organizations they visited to determine the success/value of a royal visit.
__________________
  #486  
Old 03-07-2013, 06:53 PM
GracieGiraffe's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Giraffe Land, United States
Posts: 1,531
Regarding Kate in helicopter vs. train - how would the other royals make such a trip? Helicopter, train, parachuting in? I frankly never gave a thought as to how they get anyplace, or I just always assumed they were able to just appear magically, like a character in Bewitched.

I suppose a lot of factors are taken into account regarding royal travel; cost, time, physical condition of the royal, other commitments pending, weather. If she weren't pregnant, my opinion is she should have taken a car with a driver. Although, she did fly back and forth to the Caribbean last month, and that was a lot longer. So there are points to be made on both side of the aisle here.

Does anyone know the usual mode of travel for the royals?
__________________
The future George VII's opinion on infant carriers,
"One is not amused."
  #487  
Old 03-07-2013, 06:58 PM
cinrit's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Deep South, United States
Posts: 376
Didn't someone say that the driving time would be six or seven hours?
__________________
  #488  
Old 03-07-2013, 07:02 PM
Osipi's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 3,796
Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieGiraffe View Post
Regarding Kate in helicopter vs. train - how would the other royals make such a trip? Helicopter, train, parachuting in? I frankly never gave a thought as to how they get anyplace, or I just always assumed they were able to just appear magically, like a character in Bewitched.

I suppose a lot of factors are taken into account regarding royal travel; cost, time, physical condition of the royal, other commitments pending, weather. If she weren't pregnant, my opinion is she should have taken a car with a driver. Although, she did fly back and forth to the Caribbean last month, and that was a lot longer. So there are points to be made on both side of the aisle here.

Does anyone know the usual mode of travel for the royals?
First off, I think the Airmiles Andy gives us a clue somewhat. TBH, if HM approves of his methods of travel, who really has the right to complain.

Can't remember where on these forums it was but people were talking about the smoothness and such of the trains in the UK. With Kate being pregnant, the helicopter flight might not only have been faster, but a whole lot smoother for her. Just because the impact of the HG has passed, it doesn't mean she's still not experiencing nausea from time to time.
__________________
“We live in a world where we have to hide to make love, while violence is practiced in broad daylight.”
~~~ John Lennon ~~~
  #489  
Old 03-07-2013, 07:07 PM
miche's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: N/A, United States
Posts: 525
Didn't someone from Grimsby on twitter said the train service has been bad not reliable for the last few weeks. People who have to take a bus anyway?

And the fog would have delay her no matter what form of transportation she took
__________________
  #490  
Old 03-07-2013, 07:09 PM
AfricanAUSSIE's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 532
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna Catherine View Post
I think AfricanAUSSIE is just asking about the impact of their visits on the charities, schools, etc. after the royals visit. Like do they monitor the success of their visits and see if they were successful or if the visit or opening or whatever helped in any way.

I know the press will sometimes report on it, but it's usually just about how she has helped the fashion industry. I think you'd have to dig deeper to find that info. I'm sure it's our there:).
Thank you Anna, that is exactly what I was asking.

Any money spent should be assessed to ensure it is spent wisely. I would have thought that was obvious and necessary where the RF are concerned. Dig as I might however, I cannot see any real figures on the success of the visits, particularly to charities. Contributions are up will not do as that could mean they raised a dollar more than the previous year!
__________________
  #491  
Old 03-07-2013, 07:13 PM
AfricanAUSSIE's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 532
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
First off, I think the Airmiles Andy gives us a clue somewhat. TBH, if HM approves of his methods of travel, who really has the right to complain.

Can't remember where on these forums it was but people were talking about the smoothness and such of the trains in the UK. With Kate being pregnant, the helicopter flight might not only have been faster, but a whole lot smoother for her. Just because the impact of the HG has passed, it doesn't mean she's still not experiencing nausea from time to time.
Helicopter rides are not smother compared to a car ride. If you suffer from nausea, it will actually make it worse, especially in a fog!!
__________________
  #492  
Old 03-07-2013, 07:19 PM
Osipi's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 3,796
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfricanAUSSIE View Post
Helicopter rides are not smother compared to a car ride. If you suffer from nausea, it will actually make it worse, especially in a fog!!
Thanks! Having never been in a helicopter, I guess I was just thinking it'd be smoother. At least it was trip that took less time though.
__________________
“We live in a world where we have to hide to make love, while violence is practiced in broad daylight.”
~~~ John Lennon ~~~
  #493  
Old 03-07-2013, 07:21 PM
GracieGiraffe's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Giraffe Land, United States
Posts: 1,531
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfricanAUSSIE View Post
Helicopter rides are not smother compared to a car ride. If you suffer from nausea, it will actually make it worse, especially in a fog!!
You have just reminded me of a cross country flight I had to take about 15 years ago while I had a stomach bug! Shudder...... you have no idea how much movement is involved in air travel until you have done so.......

As the Duchess has traveled across the Atlantic to Mustique and then onto Switzerland for a wedding and snow play, she is well over her morning sickness and I am glad she is!
__________________
The future George VII's opinion on infant carriers,
"One is not amused."
  #494  
Old 03-07-2013, 07:28 PM
AfricanAUSSIE's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 532
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Thanks! Having never been in a helicopter, I guess I was just thinking it'd be smoother. At least it was trip that took less time though.
It does indeed take less time, and the ride is soooo much fun!!! The larger helicopters are the best but do still mess with your head if you go for dives or unexpected moves. If you suffer from nausea, any of these flights would not be recommended (especially in the fog). She has been traveling quite a bit of late. I think she was fine to take it. Fun, fun, fun.
__________________
  #495  
Old 03-07-2013, 07:34 PM
cepe's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 4,322
I have never heard that the funding for the royals is expected to give a "return on the investment" to the causes involved, although having royal patronage does help raise funds. It is all in the cost of having a head of state. I think this conversation belongs on another thread - no sure which one but it already has comments on the future meeting of a Parliamentary Committee - its probably under Elizabeth II and Prince Philip.
__________________

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
  #496  
Old 03-07-2013, 08:03 PM
Anna Catherine's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: U.C., United States
Posts: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
I have never heard that the funding for the royals is expected to give a "return on the investment" to the causes involved, although having royal patronage does help raise funds. It is all in the cost of having a head of state. I think this conversation belongs on another thread - no sure which one but it already has comments on the future meeting of a Parliamentary Committee - its probably under Elizabeth II and Prince Philip.
No? I'm confused. We are talking about how the royals, or in this case, Catherine's involvement impacts the patronages or charities she's involved with. Am I wrong?

Maybe it does belong in another thread. Someone will have to ask a moderator.
__________________
  #497  
Old 03-07-2013, 08:17 PM
cepe's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 4,322
I might have got confused because of the included element of costs. Ignore me!

EDIT: But its for each charity/patronage to publish, that because the BRF do not.
__________________

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
  #498  
Old 03-07-2013, 08:21 PM
Anna Catherine's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: U.C., United States
Posts: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
I might have got confused because of the included element of costs. Ignore me!

EDIT: But its for each charity/patronage to publish, that because the BRF do not.
No problem. Yeah I figured the patronages would be the ones to publish, but not all do or maybe I would have to look at their website. Would it be there you think ?
__________________
  #499  
Old 03-07-2013, 08:25 PM
cepe's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 4,322
To be honest, I dont think that they do calculate the benefit - in order to do that, you'd have to be able to calculate the negative - ie what would be the result if a royal hadn't done it.

The only charity to mention it is EACH but I dont think they put a number on it, but they seem very approachable so you could ask.
__________________

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
  #500  
Old 03-07-2013, 08:38 PM
Anna Catherine's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: U.C., United States
Posts: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
To be honest, I dont think that they do calculate the benefit - in order to do that, you'd have to be able to calculate the negative - ie what would be the result if a royal hadn't done it.

The only charity to mention it is EACH but I dont think they put a number on it, but they seem very approachable so you could ask.
Thanks:). Maybe we should all start another thread somewhere else about this and include other royals.

On another note: wasn't there a report not too long ago that Kate would be acquiring new patronages this year. I'm sure that was slowed down because of the HG, but was there ever a timeline as to when she would announcing them?
__________________

__________________
Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Duke and Duchess of Cambridge current events 5: 1 March 2013 - 31 December 2013 Warren Current Events Archive 923 01-01-2014 11:16 AM
Duke and Duchess of Cambridge Current Events Thread 2: 1 December 2011 - 1 April 2012 Zonk Current Events Archive 887 04-03-2012 10:16 PM




Additional Links
Popular Tags
abdication birth charlene chris o'neill crown prince frederik crown prince haakon crown princess letizia crown princess mary crown princess mette-marit crown princess victoria current events fashion genealogy grand duchess maria teresa grand duke henri habsburg hohenzollern infanta sofia jordan king abdullah ii king carl xvi gustav king felipe king felipe vi king harald king juan carlos king philippe king willem-alexander luxembourg olympics ottoman palace pom prince albert prince albert ii prince carl philip prince constantijn prince felipe prince felix prince floris prince joachim prince pieter-christiaan princess princess alexia (2005 -) princess anita princess ariane princess beatrix princess catharina-amalia princess charlene princess claire princess laurentien princess letizia princess mabel princess madeleine princess margriet princess marie princess mary queen letizia queen mathilde queen maxima queen rania queen silvia queen sofia royal russia sofia hellqvist spain state visit sweden wedding william


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

RV & Travel Trailer Communities

Our RV & Travel Trailer sites encompasses virtually all types of Recreational Vehicles, from brand-specific to general RV communities.

» More about our RV Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002-2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:18 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014
Jelsoft Enterprises

Royal News Delivered to your Email!

You can get the latest Royal News right in your inbox.

unsusbcribe at anytime with one click

Close [X]