The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-23-2013, 02:14 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmirerUS View Post
As are schools, athletic teams, the internet, the Dairy Queen...
Indeed. It is the presence of children that attracts the pedophiles, and does not make such organizations, etc., inherently bad.

(Kataryn, I think you make some good points. I was taught from a young age to recognize inappropriate behavior/situations, and to tell my mother in particular if someone did do anything unusual. When I was a kid I thought she was just being annoying about such instructions, but once I was an adult, I realized how much it had helped, especially as I later found out that I had been quite close to some people who had been doing some horrible things).

Old 03-23-2013, 02:43 PM
Heir Presumptive

I've worked with a few organizations that deal with kids and they actually go to lengths to try to prevent adults from preying on the kids. Typically there are criminal record checks carried out to ensure that people with any kind of undesirable record aren't working with the kids (I once knew a parent in his 40s who was told he couldn't be a Scout leader because he had a DUI when he was 19 on his record). A lot of organizations also training sessions on what is and is not appropriate behaviour when working with kids, and importantly how to spot signs of someone else acting inappropriately - and how to report it if you suspect it's happening.

The whole idea that Scouts, or the Catholic church, or other organizations that work with kids are associated with pedophilia in general is because when pedophilia is discovered it's reported. When it doesn't exist it's not reported. You don't pick up the paper and see the title "Scout Leader Not Molesting Children." The many people who work with kids who don't have any harmful intentions don't get recognized as such, but because the people who do have harmful intentions do get recognized and reported the general public ends up with a misconception of the relationships there. Most people who work with kids, regardless of the organization, aren't pedophiles at all.

Old 03-23-2013, 02:57 PM
Heir Presumptive

Kataryn, I like your SCC formula. This is good for people of all ages, not just minors.
Old 03-23-2013, 04:18 PM
Courtier

Teaching children how to be safe is by far the best. Of course it can backfire! I remember once when I was about 7 or 8 my father was supposed to pick me up from church. Well, he had too good a poker hand to leave so he handed his car keys to a friend and told him to pick me up. Boy was he mad when I refused to get in our (very distinctive) car with someone I didn't know! My mother had quite a job calming him down saying I did only what he told me to do.
Old 03-23-2013, 09:51 PM
Aristocracy

keep in mind to, don't make the kids kiss grandma or an aunt and uncle if they don't want to. they need to be able to say no to anyone and everyone when they feel the need to.
Old 03-23-2013, 09:54 PM
Courtier

When children are on group activities, there should always be 2 different adults.
Old 03-24-2013, 01:31 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frelinghighness View Post
Kataryn, I like your SCC formula. This is good for people of all ages, not just minors.
Excellent advice Kataryn.
Old 03-24-2013, 02:30 AM
Royal Highness

Thank you for the appreciation.

I just told my husband and he laughed and then asked me to convey a warning for those who do not know: before you talk about SSC (idea of checking things if they are Safe, Sane and Consensual) - it's a term from the BDSM-movement originally, so maybe, if you want to talk about it, you should word it a bit differently...

(Sorry, I wasn't aware where that came from, just found the term easy to remember and good advice - which it is!)
Old 03-24-2013, 09:48 AM
Heir Apparent

ROFL, a "50 Shades of Gray" safety tip?
Old 03-24-2013, 10:19 AM
Nobility

SSC - how funny, thanks for sharing , but very sound advice nonetheless.
Old 03-24-2013, 01:40 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kataryn View Post
Thank you for the appreciation.

I just told my husband and he laughed and then asked me to convey a warning for those who do not know: before you talk about SSC (idea of checking things if they are Safe, Sane and Consensual) - it's a term from the BDSM-movement originally, so maybe, if you want to talk about it, you should word it a bit differently...

(Sorry, I wasn't aware where that came from, just found the term easy to remember and good advice - which it is!)
What is BDSM?
Old 03-24-2013, 01:49 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLV View Post

What is BDSM?
Bondage, Discipline, Sadomasochism or sadism and masochism
Old 03-24-2013, 01:49 PM
Nobility

google is your friend

Bondage, SadoMasochism
Old 03-24-2013, 01:55 PM
Heir Presumptive

I love that this is the way this conversation has turned... From the Duchess and Scouts to bondage....
Old 03-24-2013, 02:01 PM
Nobility

I've learned a lot of things in this last page of the thread that I really wasn't expecting .
Old 03-24-2013, 02:13 PM
Royal Highness

Allow me to cry MEA CULPA - I was only aware that the term originally has a somehow "sexual" background, that's why I wrote that my cousin of course didn't use it in a sexual connection with the kids, but I wasn't aware it came from the "50 Shades..." corner.

Well, thinking about it, it surely is good that people with that sexual orientation are trying to act safe, sane and (very important, I think:) consensual....

But sorry that I took this thread into deeper waters than I wanted to.
Old 03-24-2013, 02:17 PM
Heir Apparent

No problem from my end, Kataryn; whatever keeps you safe from wherever it comes. Sometimes, you can get practical tips from the most unlikely sources. That did give me a good laugh, though!
Old 03-24-2013, 02:19 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

How did Catherine's current events turn into the definition of BDSM?
Old 03-24-2013, 02:27 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post

Bondage, Discipline, Sadomasochism or sadism and masochism
Ouch!
Thanks, I guess. :-\
Old 03-24-2013, 02:37 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
How did Catherine's current events turn into the definition of BDSM?
Not sure, but definitely more interesting than a visit to a Scout camp