The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-03-2013, 05:24 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly2101 View Post
I wholly agree with you and understand, but what I was saying is that it is images like this that then give the public the image of her as "lazy" as she is out and about spending money, but not doing engagements. I am only saying what a lot of the public think.

I am sure we will see her doing work soon, and we know she isn't a "full time member" as yet. That adds to the whole "well, what does she do all day then?" I love Kate, do not get me wrong, but I am now beginning to see why the public view her as lazy.
She has private engagements.

Old 02-03-2013, 05:33 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly2101 View Post
I wholly agree with you and understand, but what I was saying is that it is images like this that then give the public the image of her as "lazy" as she is out and about spending money, but not doing engagements. I am only saying what a lot of the public think..
I imagine that must be frustrating too- Kate does not have access to any public money at all. The only public money spent on her is for her security, which she doesn't have a choice about.

Any money she's spending is private.

Old 02-03-2013, 05:33 PM
Serene Highness

How many times will you use the "full time royal" excuse and "she does it in private"? All she needs is to dedicate time to her 4 charities, not become patron of more charities that will have to cancel more events because they get almost nothing from her. No one expects to see her working evey day from 10 to 5. Only do what is expected, because if this woman really thinks she will be able to fulfil HM´s role and the amount of engagements and hours she dedicates to her duties when she´s old, she better start doing it when she´s young. Or she will be in big trouble. The role of duchess is already big for her.
Old 02-03-2013, 05:35 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHHermione View Post
I imagine that must be frustrating too- Kate does not have access to any public money at all. The only public money spent on her is for her security, which she doesn't have a choice about.

Any money she's spending is private.
NO, they live off the duchy of Cornwall. That is hardly private money. That is why people are complaining. They are paying for her luxury life without her doing enough in return.
Old 02-03-2013, 05:47 PM
Nobility

I thought her Primary job responsibility was producing an heir? Isn't she activity meeting that requirement? I don't presume to know what she is feeling while fulfilling this task. No number of events would be in her favor at this time. Too many to some, too few to others.
Old 02-03-2013, 05:50 PM
Courtier

All I'm getting from this is "how dare she shop for maternity clothes and how dare she goes to the drugstore"
Old 02-03-2013, 05:55 PM
Majesty

No one is making excuses about the Duchess's engagements. It's pretty much a fact that the Cambridge's aren't fulltime royals at the moment. We are still waiting for an announcement on what they will do, stay in the military or become fulltime royals.

We all know that members of the royal family work pretty hard behind the scenes as well. Just because you don't sere them all the time, don't mean they are being lazy and playing checkers all day.

Like many members of the royal family, Catherine is in constant contact with her charities and when it's time for her to make an official visit, she makes it.

Also, there's no proof that the event at EACH was canclled because they didn't receive any help from their Royal Patron.
Old 02-03-2013, 05:59 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosana View Post

NO, they live off the duchy of Cornwall. That is hardly private money. That is why people are complaining. They are paying for her luxury life without her doing enough in return.
The duchy of Cornwall does not belong to the public nor do the taxpayers contribute to it.
Old 02-03-2013, 06:01 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by padams2359 View Post
I thought her Primary job responsibility was producing an heir?
Seriously?! Remind me what century we're in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by miche View Post
All I'm getting from this is "how dare she shop for maternity clothes and how dare she goes to the drugstore"
Exactly where are you getting that from?

Catherine can shop all she likes, except she seems well enough to shop on an almost weekly basis, and yet we haven't seen her for more than an hour doing her 'job'. From what people tell me HG 'comes' in waves, that's fair enough. But it LOOKS like, Catherine is just spending time when she's well, out shopping. She's supposedly taking on more patronages, more charity roles, why exactly? Apparently we're not going to see her until at least months after the baby is born?

I get that Catherine is a pregnant woman with an apparently on going illness, but there's got to be something, some kind of give in this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHHermione View Post

The duchy of Cornwall does not belong to the public nor do the taxpayers contribute to it.
Don't believe that for a second. I agree it doesn't belong to the public, but with everything the Duchy encompasses, the taxpayers money goes into it someone. Whether it be by tax or other means.
Old 02-03-2013, 06:04 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Well it is certainly not public money. The Duchy of Cornwall provides the income of the heir apparent and he pays income tax on said income. The Duchy is not funded by the tax payers at all so they can hardly complain about the Duchess spending private funds as she sees fit.
Old 02-03-2013, 06:10 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Catherine can shop all she likes, except she seems well enough to shop on an almost weekly basis, and yet we haven't seen her for more than an hour doing her 'job'. From what people tell me HG 'comes' in waves, that's fair enough. But it LOOKS like, Catherine is just spending time when she's well, out shopping. She's supposedly taking on more patronages, more charity roles, why exactly? Apparently we're not going to see her until at least months after the baby is born?

I get that Catherine is a pregnant woman with an apparently on going illness, but there's got to be something, some kind of give in this.
I do have to agree with your point of view. No one's denying that the Duchess is suffering bouts of severe morning sickness, but when she's feeling well it would be nice to see her engaging in her charities a bit more often. These photos and reports of her shopping, while she's entitled to do so, are just leaving a bad feeling in my mind. I've heard reports that there's a terminally ill cancer patient, a young woman of 21, who has it on her bucket list to meet the Duchess before she dies. It would be lovely if a visit at Kensington Palace could be arranged before it's too late for this young lady.
Old 02-03-2013, 06:14 PM
Serene Highness - Picture of the Month Representative - Britain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Maybe I'm missing something, but since the pregnancy annoncement, I haven't seen pictures of her out shopping on a weekly basis. I have seen a number of photos over the last few weeks, but the Palace has also stated that she's returned to work and is meeting with her advisors/charities daily

Where are you getting that we won't see her until after the baby is born? She's supposed to be back to duties this month and will be doing about 2 engagements per month.
Old 02-03-2013, 06:22 PM
Majesty

If she's up to it, The Duchess of Cambridge will most likely be doing official engagements.

I just hope people will get off her back and allow her some time off when the baby is born. Not expecting her to perform 100 official engagements the first or second day after she take her baby home. We know how testy the media can get. Hopefully the coverage and pictures of the couple leaving the hospital will be enough for the media to milk and stretch.
Old 02-03-2013, 06:28 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
If she's up to it, The Duchess of Cambridge will most likely be doing official engagements.

I just hope people will get off her back and allow her some time off when the baby is born. Not expecting her to perform 100 official engagements the first or second day after she take her baby home.
I hope she takes the exact same maternity leave that every other British woman is entitled to.
Old 02-03-2013, 06:46 PM
Courtier

You got to love it when it comes to Kate. She was spotted 2 days last week shopping for clothes and people act like she's been shopping for clothes every weeks since the day she announce her pregnancy.
Old 02-03-2013, 06:47 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
I hope she takes the exact same maternity leave that every other British woman is entitled to.
You know people are going to say "how dare she not get back to work five minutes after she gave birth"
Old 02-03-2013, 06:48 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post

So she can have a year off then ....

But no doubt with a maternity nurse , 24/6 ...and a stand in for the seventh day . Like all the other women in kensington ..lol.
Old 02-03-2013, 06:56 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by miche View Post
You know people are going to say "how dare she not get back to work five minutes after she gave birth"
Those people will probably complain that the birth was not broadcast live in TV and that she didnt have an updo & jewels while pushing out the baby and that she should at the very least have been conducting a conference call with her charities in between labour pains, and that they did not like the colour or fit of the hospital gowns.
Old 02-03-2013, 07:07 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
How many times will you use the "full time royal" excuse and "she does it in private"? All she needs is to dedicate time to her 4 charities, not become patron of more charities that will have to cancel more events because they get almost nothing from her. No one expects to see her working evey day from 10 to 5. Only do what is expected, because if this woman really thinks she will be able to fulfil HM´s role and the amount of engagements and hours she dedicates to her duties when she´s old, she better start doing it when she´s young. Or she will be in big trouble. The role of duchess is already big for her.
I'm repeat an earlier post cos this is just daft. Catherine's on going contact with her charities

Creative Kate is a queen of arts | Columnists | Express.co.uk - Home of the Daily and Sunday Express

ITs not an excuse, its real.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 02-03-2013, 07:09 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baroness of Books View Post
I think tiara and jewels during delivery is OTT, though, as well as live TV coverage and conference calls.
No doubt, but there are people on these forums who seem to believe she should never leave the house without an updo and as many jewels as possible and that the public have the right to know what she is doing 24/7 so a broadcast birth would fit in with those beliefs.