The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 03:19 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Catherine Duchess of Cambridge (Kate Middleton) arrives at the National Portrait Gallery for her first solo public engagement
London, England - 08.02.12
WENN Photo Library - Search Results

Quote:
The Duchess of Cambridge note exceeds his first solo act
http://www.hola.com/realeza/casa_ing...nda-solitario/

http://translate.google.com.tr/trans...rio%2F&act=url

Old 02-09-2012, 05:58 PM
Heir Apparent

Spletnik -Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge, attended Lucian Freud exhibition

To wander on in a huge forest without thought of return. To stand upon the shore and gaze after a boat that disappears behind distant islands. To contemplate the flight of wild geese seen and lost among the clouds.
And, subtle shadows of bamboo on bamboo." Zeami Motokiyo
Old 02-09-2012, 07:54 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
She looked good, but then she should. She performed well for her first real solo engagement, but again I would expect her to after the amount of time she's had to practice. We'll see what liverpool brings.
What do expect her to do...trip while walking up a flight of stairs? Break down in tears from the pressure of the "job"...or some other slip up. Is that what you want to witness?
Old 02-09-2012, 08:05 PM
Heir Apparent

I'll tell you truthfully, I don't know how Kate can balance on those heels and if that were me wearing those stilts, I'd be on my keister!
Old 02-09-2012, 08:56 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baroness of Books View Post
I'll tell you truthfully, I don't know how Kate can balance on those heels and if that were me wearing those stilts, I'd be on my keister!
It was nothing at all! Brave was Victoria Beckham pregnant with a 9 month belly and her heels way higher!
Old 02-09-2012, 09:09 PM
Heir Presumptive

Yeah Victoria is a major high heel wearer. I take my hat off to her. I'm sure the women who can wear heels flawlessly, have had to practice in them.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 02-09-2012, 10:32 PM
Majesty

Quote:
You and me both! And yes, Catherine did wonderfully on Tuesday evening. William must be beaming with pride, along with the rest of the family.

Here's the flickr picture from the engagement posted on my twitter.

The Duchess of Cambridge visits the Lucien Freud Portraits Exhibition | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 02-10-2012, 12:42 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baroness of Books
Oh those heels are nothing! I wear heels way higher than that and I love them! Must admit she looks beautiful and graceful.

Is this her first solo engagement??
Old 02-10-2012, 03:45 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherlock221B View Post
What do expect her to do...trip while walking up a flight of stairs? Break down in tears from the pressure of the "job"...or some other slip up. Is that what you want to witness?
I don't know where you got that from, that's silly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownPrincess5 View Post
Is this her first solo engagement??
She stepped in for Charles last year when he went abroad for a funeral, but that was for her father-in-law. This was her first real engagement yes.
Old 02-10-2012, 09:04 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
I don't know where you got that from, that's silly.
I'm glad you got the joke. However, my "silly" comments are nothing more than innuendos encouraged by constant insinuating that the Duchess of Cambridge will in one way or another make a fool of herself performing royal duties thus ratifying individuals' opinions of her not being acceptable as a member of the royal family. Just my own SILLY opinion.
Old 02-10-2012, 10:55 AM
Nobility

It's her first planned solo engagement. She filled in for Prince Charles in October of last year, at a dinner to aid In Kind Direct, when Charles was obligated to travel to Riyadh to offer his condolences upon the death of the Crown Prince:

Kate Middleton performs first solo engagement - Telegraph

About her heels ... I thought I was the Queen of Heels. I can run, dance, walk up and down stairs in them ... but only in 3-inch heels. I wouldn't attempt even walking a straight line in any as high as she wore. She's one well-balanced lady!
Old 02-10-2012, 01:13 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
I'm glad you got the joke. However, my "silly" comments are nothing more than innuendos encouraged by constant insinuating that the Duchess of Cambridge will in one way or another make a fool of herself performing royal duties thus ratifying individuals' opinions of her not being acceptable as a member of the royal family. Just my own SILLY opinion.
Many people would say, that to not do royal engagements is enough to make Catherine look foolish. We all have our opinions, Catherine performing an engagement is nothing out of the ordinary because that's what she is meant to do now.

Could you point me to some posts that insinuate that Catherine will "in one way or another make a fool of herself"? I have read many that suggest that her lack of engagements up until now shows that she's lazy and not willing to do her job. But I have seen none that suggest she will make a fool of herself?
Old 02-10-2012, 01:20 PM
Royal Highness

I Think She Look Gorgeous , I Like The shoes Look Very Elegant & Diamond Bracelet Look Very unique
Old 02-10-2012, 01:39 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Many people would say, that to not do royal engagements is enough to make Catherine look foolish. We all have our opinions, Catherine performing an engagement is nothing out of the ordinary because that's what she is meant to do now.

Could you point me to some posts that insinuate that Catherine will "in one way or another make a fool of herself"? I have read many that suggest that her lack of engagements up until now shows that she's lazy and not willing to do her job. But I have seen none that suggest she will make a fool of herself?
I'm not a big fan of Kate, but would never wish her to be involved in a "FOOLISH" moment. I don't think there is a snowball's chance in Hades that she would intentionally turn foolish while she's at work.
Old 02-10-2012, 02:15 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Have a look at this...

Quote:
She looked good, but then she should. She performed well for her first real solo engagement, but again I would expect her to after the amount of time she's had to practice. We'll see what liverpool brings.

What does this comment insinuate? She "performed well" because of the "amount of time she's had to practice. We'll see what [L]iverpool brings." Fair point. Nevertheless, in regards to Liverpool how will you know if she has done enough preparation? What is the sign of the proper amount of time to practice? What to look for as a display of preparedness or a lack of such. Hence anticipation, hence innuendos. Would it be a mistake then to insinuate that individuals disappointed with the performance of the duchess will attribute it to a lack of preparation? I doubt that the attribution by those individuals will be associated with scholarship, therefore foolishness. Once again I offer in my humble opinion, on this entertaining and informing forum.
Old 02-10-2012, 02:35 PM
Heir Presumptive

I think she will be fine in Liverpool. Are there speeches involved? If so, there may be a gaffe, but that would be expected, unaccustomed as she is to public speaking.

How can she become foolish if she's just nodding, saying a short sentence and shaking hands?

Lumutqueen is right, she has had time to look good and to be able to overcome any qualms about mingling amongst the people. One can always tell when she's nervous (unless the wind is blowing) as she always fiddles with that annoying hair.

She's not perfect, and she's not going to be sacked if she fluffs something. If she fluffs too much, she may be relieved of her duties (which she might like very much).
Old 02-10-2012, 03:02 PM
Heir Apparent

As the amount, intensity and involvement of Kate's public appearances increase, so could the prospect of signs of nervousness, especially when she gives her first speech. Hopefully, no one wishes to see the Duchess display any major gaffe, but the unexpected can always happen despite the amount of preparedness. It's human nature. There's a saying, "Man prepares and the Lord laughs." You never know what could happen, but how well she masters any unexpected event and takes control of a situation that could go awry is the sign of confidence and poise. Kate strikes me as a woman who can handle just about anything, whether scripted or not.
Old 02-10-2012, 03:10 PM
Courtier

I'm soooo hoping that she does a really bang up job with her first speech. It seems many people are just waiting for her to fall on her "keister", figuratively speaking of course. I am amused at those who think she is doing "nothing". She is the wife of the heir to the heir and that's it ... along with being a newly wed in a situation that has to be stressful. I would love to see those who are so critical in her place for a period of time and see how they perform. She is William's wife and that's it at this point. She has presented herself well and not faltered. She has looked lovely and been gracious in all situations. What more do people expect of her at this point in time and just why should they expect more? I don't really get it that people appear so eager to see her make some major gaffe. It's a puzzle ........
As to her not "working", she comes from a wealthy family, she is no different in her job experience that the myriad young men who seem to open an "art gallery" in London to appear as though they are productive. It's amazing the lifestyle some of those people can maintain .... one has to wonder just how many pieces of art they have had to sell to manage that. It appears that people want Catherine to fit into "their" set of standards, which for the most part are middle class standards and Catherine is not middle class, at least by American standards. Not to mention that middle class people work usually because they need to.
Old 02-10-2012, 03:10 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Nevertheless, in regards to Liverpool how will you know if she has done enough preparation? What is the sign of the proper amount of time to practice?
How will I know? She'll behave exactly as she did at the exhibit, hopefully with a bit more confidence as the 'first one is out the way'. Someone obviously thinks Catherine has had enough time to prepare, as she's been allowed out into the big wide world on her own, without her loving husband to shield her.

Quote:
What to look for as a display of preparedness or a lack of such. Hence anticipation, hence innuendos. Would it be a mistake then to insinuate that individuals disappointed with the performance of the duchess will attribute it to a lack of preparation? I doubt that the attribution by those individuals will be associated with scholarship, therefore foolishness. Once again I offer in my humble opinion, on this entertaining and informing forum.
As for these questions, I am not an expert on someone's behaviour, I cannot tell what to look for in a person to see whether they are prepared or not. In this case, being prepared for the event probably refers to knowing the correct background information, getting everyone's name right, and delivering whatever lines you have correctly. If Catherine does this on Tuesday, then again she will have performed well just like she should.
There is no reason for her to be unprepared, when she has had numerous months to prepare.
If Catherine does potentially look foolish perhaps by fluffing up her lines, or calling the wrong person by the wrong name then some people may put it down to nerves or some may attribute it to being unprepared, everyone has their own opinions of course. I would attribute it to being unprepared.

Your humble opinion might I add, is a little aggressive. Perhaps being open to both sides of the story will enlighten your opinion.
Old 02-11-2012, 12:22 PM
Majesty

Quote:
As the amount, intensity and involvement of Kate's public appearances increase, so could the prospect of signs of nervousness, especially when she gives her first speech. Hopefully, no one wishes to see the Duchess display any major gaffe, but the unexpected can always happen despite the amount of preparedness. It's human nature. There's a saying, "Man prepares and the Lord laughs." You never know what could happen, but how well she masters any unexpected event and takes control of a situation that could go awry is the sign of confidence and poise. Kate strikes me as a woman who can handle just about anything, whether scripted or not.
I agree with your assessment here. Giving speeches and doing public appearances are similar to being in a classroom. You spent time creating a lesson plan, and then, when you're teaching the said lesson, things that you didn't count happen. It happened to me during an observation, and I almost ran out of the room, because I was so upset with kids' atrocious behavior. Everything that could have gone wrong did, and one of the things my advisor and cooperating teacher told me was to always expect the unexpected and when it occurs, just act as if it's part of the routine and adapt the lesson on the spot. No need for the kids to know that something went wrong, because they'll use it to their advantage and continue to disrupt and not pay attention. I think Catherine is as prepared as she's going to be, because after a while, the only 'preparation' that is left is actually going out and practicing what you have learned/observed (something I was scared and reluctant to do during student teaching and both, my advisor and cooperating teacher had to simply give me no choice but to go in front of that classroom and teach). It's scary, but unfortunately needs to be done. Catherine has handled her first solo engagement well, and I'm looking forward to seeing more of her venturing on her own. If there are blunders, that's all right. She's human, and will make mistakes, then learn from them and do things differently next time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess of Durham View Post
I'm soooo hoping that she does a really bang up job with her first speech. It seems many people are just waiting for her to fall on her "keister", figuratively speaking of course. I am amused at those who think she is doing "nothing". She is the wife of the heir to the heir and that's it ... along with being a newly wed in a situation that has to be stressful. I would love to see those who are so critical in her place for a period of time and see how they perform. She is William's wife and that's it at this point. She has presented herself well and not faltered. She has looked lovely and been gracious in all situations. What more do people expect of her at this point in time and just why should they expect more? I don't really get it that people appear so eager to see her make some major gaffe. It's a puzzle ........
As to her not "working", she comes from a wealthy family, she is no different in her job experience that the myriad young men who seem to open an "art gallery" in London to appear as though they are productive. It's amazing the lifestyle some of those people can maintain .... one has to wonder just how many pieces of art they have had to sell to manage that. It appears that people want Catherine to fit into "their" set of standards, which for the most part are middle class standards and Catherine is not middle class, at least by American standards. Not to mention that middle class people work usually because they need to.
Well said! The cattiness and pettiness regarding Catherine's involvement and what have you really has to stop. She's doing what she can, and is now at the stage when she's ready to step out solo. I think if she did so earlier, the experience would not have been necessarily positive.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Closed Thread