The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 10:58 PM
Heir Presumptive

kate willbe with william in scotland in july 5, is a event with tiaras?

Today the world has embraced new royal Princesses in the form of Mary of Denmark and Maxima of the Netherlands. But it's questionable whether even these hugely popular, increasingly glamorous future Queens will ever capture the world's imagination in the same way as Diana.
As Mario acknowledges: "She really was a true Princess".
-www.theroyalist.net-
Old 07-03-2012, 11:01 PM
Heir Apparent

I believe that's William's investiture as Knight of the Royal Thistle, and therefore won't be a tiara event.

Old 07-05-2012, 12:20 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyGabrielle View Post
Are they serious? Im sorry but I find that insulting and in very bad taste. What is the reason for this mocking? What has the BRF done to China that warrants this offense? Or is it that whoever did this is just an idiot and has no class whatsoever?
Take it easy, they just using them as symbols to make story. Nothing against them really. Actually I like "Kate" most in the ad. She is the most funny and look-alike one.

Actually when Charles wrote those mocking diary of the Chinese leaders in HK handover, most Chinese people found it funny and in somewhat catching the point. Not a big deal really.
Old 07-05-2012, 08:08 PM
Nobility

I saw a picture a while back with the Duchess of Cambridge with David Walliams. I think he and Matt Lucas, along with Jennifer Saunders and Dawn French are the funniest brits since Monty Python and Benny Hill. Although Jennifer Saunders turned down an OBE a few years ago. The D of C was asking him about the "Swim the Thames," He could not stress enough of how bad of an idea he thought it would be for her to do it.
Old 07-06-2012, 03:07 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Rebecca English ‏@RE_DailyMail Duchess of Cambridge in the royal box Sunday to watch Murray final, sources tell me.William has 'prior private commitments' tho' #wimbledon

Rebecca English ‏@RE_DailyMail Buckingham Palace were unable to confirm at this stage, however, whether the Queen will also attend.

Rebecca English ‏@RE_DailyMail Kate is a huge fan of the tennis and watched Murray's historic semi final on tv. Wonder whether she will take on a formal roll at Wimbledon?
Now that would be really cool. The Queen and Catherine watching Wimbledon final together!

Well nvm there goes that idea!
Quote:
Rebecca English ‏@RE_DailyMail Buckingham Palace now tell me the Queen won't be attending Murray final as she has 'longstanding private engagements'
Old 07-06-2012, 03:30 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Church and family dinner I imagine

The Duke of Kent will be there to accompany Catherine, if she attends. Also the dearest Rebecca might not know her stuff, she just mixed up The Duke of Kent and The Duke of Cambridge.
Old 07-06-2012, 04:30 PM
Heir Apparent

Well, this will give me more incentive to watch the men's final. I'm rooting for Andy; Roger's won enough.
Old 07-06-2012, 06:00 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Church and family dinner I imagine

The Duke of Kent will be there to accompany Catherine, if she attends. Also the dearest Rebecca might not know her stuff, she just mixed up The Duke of Kent and The Duke of Cambridge.

Your right cause check this out
Quote:
Richard Palmer ‏@RoyalReporter The Queen's cousin, the Duke of Kent, who is president of the All England club, is expected to present the trophy at Wimbledon on Sunday.
Old 07-06-2012, 06:18 PM
Heir Apparent

He's always present, at least all the times I've watched the men's final, to award the men's trophy at Wimbledon.
Old 07-06-2012, 06:28 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Waiting forward to the final.
Perhaps Wimbledon will finally have a British winner. Long overdue.

Such a pity Her Majesty will not be present; if Murrey does win, it would have been extra-special to have the trophy presented by his Head of State.
Old 07-06-2012, 06:46 PM
Heir Presumptive

I was sure the Queen would go given it's Jubilee and Olympic year, much as she is clearly not a lover of tennis. The whole country will stop on Sunday for this match. It's so painful to have invented the game and to play host to the most prestigious tennis tournament in the world, and never see a British winner.

Off topic again, sorry. I haven't seen much Benny Hill either, but its theme tune is just the best thing ever. Put this music to just about anything and it becomes hilarious. A true work of genius.

Old 07-06-2012, 06:50 PM
Heir Apparent

EIIR and Artemisia, Virginia Wade was the last British winner of the women's Wimbledon championship back in 1977, but I know you're anxious to see a male winner this time! I watched that tournament and HM did present Virginia the trophy. A really thrilling win for Virginia and the country.
Old 07-06-2012, 06:51 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemisia
Waiting forward to the final.
Perhaps Wimbledon will finally have a British winner. Long overdue.

Such a pity Her Majesty will not be present; if Murrey does win, it would have been extra-special to have the trophy presented by his Head of State.
Yes as it was the Queen who presented Virginia Wade with her women's singles win in 1977 in the silver jubilee year
http://tennis-buzz.com/files/2011/06/wade.jpg

Thought it might be some good jubilee luck repeating itself
Old 07-06-2012, 07:30 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Indeed, maybe it will be another Jubilee good luck.
This feels like Britain's year, what with the Jubilee, the Olympics and now Wimbledon. Although it's better not to remember EURO 2012.
Old 07-06-2012, 08:20 PM
Heir Apparent

I'd like to note that Richard stresses that the Duchess' attendance is not listed in the court circular therefore it will be a "private visit"
Quote:
Richard Palmer ‏@RoyalReporter The Duchess of Cambridge will cheer on Andy Murray from the royal box at Wimbledon on Sunday but will be there "privately".

Richard Palmer ‏@RoyalReporter
It doesn't appear in the Court Circular but, in practice, I don't think it makes a huge difference to the rest of us.
Quote:
Richard Palmer ‏@RoyalReporter @arod_ana She and William were there privately on Wednesday too. It's not an official royal engagement on behalf of the Queen.
Old 07-06-2012, 11:13 PM
Nobility

I was wondering if she might join the Duke of Kent in presenting the trophy, since neither the Queen or William will be present she'd be the senior member of the Royal family present - but if it's a 'private' visit (albeit in the Royal box) then I suppose that won't happen. I realize the Duke of Kent has been doing this for a long time and of course deserves to present the trophy, but having her help could begin the transition from the older generation to the younger. I'd be watching the final, anyway, but now I'll be particularly interested.
Old 07-06-2012, 11:38 PM
Heir Presumptive

Kate recognizes her "place"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sndral View Post
I was wondering if she might join the Duke of Kent in presenting the trophy, since neither the Queen or William will be present she'd be the senior member of the Royal family present - but if it's a 'private' visit (albeit in the Royal box) then I suppose that won't happen. I realize the Duke of Kent has been doing this for a long time and of course deserves to present the trophy, but having her help could begin the transition from the older generation to the younger. I'd be watching the final, anyway, but now I'll be particularly interested.
One thing I adore about the Duchess of Cambridge, is that she seems to know when to take the limelight and when to avoid it. There are a lot of egos in the family business and she seems to have figured out how to be an asset but not a thorn in the crown (so to speak).

I love Federer - I think he is a tennis genius - but like many Americans, I am pulling for Murray! How can one not pull for a Scotsman? We are besotted on this side of the pond with anyone who has a British isles accent. Have you all seen this video? Smithy vs Andy Murray. Does Smithy know his ace from his tennis elbow? - YouTube More silly humor - and love every moment of it.

Anyway, it will be great to see who shows up in the Royal Box at the men's finals. In the meantime, I'll be watching all the doubles, which are providing some lovely competition, as usual.
Old 07-07-2012, 12:07 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmirerUS View Post
One thing I adore about the Duchess of Cambridge, is that she seems to know when to take the limelight and when to avoid it. There are a lot of egos in the family business and she seems to have figured out how to be an asset but not a thorn in the crown (so to speak
You're so right; I thought the same thing about Kate. I don't think she should co-present the Wimbledon trophy; it's too soon in her role and it could give the impression that she's edging in on the Duke of Kent. He's a venerable royal and has been doing the presentation for many years and I think him as much of an tradition to Wimbledon as the strawberries and cream they serve there. I can see her doing award presentations at polo matches, which she's done, but for these major competitions she's got time enough ahead of her for any transition to take place.
Old 07-07-2012, 12:57 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baroness of Books View Post
You're so right; I thought the same thing about Kate. I don't think she should co-present the Wimbledon trophy; it's too soon in her role and it could give the impression that she's edging in on the Duke of Kent. He's a venerable royal and has been doing the presentation for many years and I think him as much of an tradition to Wimbledon as the strawberries and cream they serve there. I can see her doing award presentations at polo matches, which she's done, but for these major competitions she's got time enough ahead of her for any transition to take place.
I was thinking more of the Duke, as he's 76, but since it's a private visit by Catherine, I don't think she'll be "'edging in on the Duke," so no danger of giving that impression.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmirerUS View Post

Anyway, it will be great to see who shows up in the Royal Box at the men's finals. In the meantime, I'll be watching all the doubles, which are providing some lovely competition, as usual.
The Mirror is hinting that the Queen might show up, which is contrary to what other reporters said earlier.
Kate Middleton going to Wimbledon 2012 final to cheer on Andy Murray - Mirror Online
Old 07-07-2012, 01:00 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by sndral
The duke is the royal patron of the all England tennis club and it is in that capacity that he presents the prizes. Previously it was a role he shared with his wife, the duchess of kent. When she bowed out of royal duties, HM assumed her role. That is also why his Wimbledon appearances are part of his official duties. Other than HM, it wouldn't be appropriate for any other member of the royal family to present the awards while he is present.