The Duchess of Cambridge Current Events 1: April 29, 2011-January 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it's nice she stopped by like that- I'm looking forward to the official announcements about the charities she'll be supporting

It could. There was no need for the school to publicize the visit. If enough children went home with the story that Kate was at the school, the parents would have believed it.

I wonder if that would factor into Kate's decision of whether she should become the charity's patroness.

To me, even if the visit was "under the radar," Kate probably should have dressed more appropriately. A nice pants suit or jacket and slacks would have fit the bill quite well.

We do not know what Catherine actually did at that "Art Room". Did she only talk to the people or did she work actively with the children? In that case her jeans and jumper are really quite suiting. OTOH it is sad that these young children who waited for her in the car park obviously have no idea what being a princess (or wife of a prince) in reality means.Catherine does alot of official engagements where she is dressed beautifully and lives up to her public image. But those children should be taught about the social role a modern Royal has. That they are not clothes horses but there to help hands-on if need be. In jeans and jumper.

Noone in his right mind thinks that artists who work with their hands wear suits and dresses in their workroom. What a strange idea! Typical Mail article.

To me, even if the visit was "under the radar," Kate probably should have dressed more appropriately. A nice pants suit or jacket and slacks would have fit the bill quite well.
I agree with you. Jeans would not be the wear of the teaching/supportstaff who worked there either so she wouldn't have exactly fitted in.

Maybe she thought the children involved would feel more comfortable interacting with her if she dressed down? Maybe she deliberately wanted the visit to be discreet and casual and informal and so dressed in that manner?

Speaking as someone who sees people attend church services on a weekly basis in jeans I really don't have an issue with how Catherine dressed. Although, having previously been criticised for not wearing jeans to visit the victims of the riots recently, it's somewhat ironic that she now is criticised for doing exactly that!

I wonder if she even knew the children would be waiting for her. I think that if she knew, there would have been plans for a walkabout or other greeting. She might have been caught off guard if she thought it was going to be a casual conversation.

:previous: Yes, indeed.:lol: I do think, however, that Catherine was a little underdressed for the occasion. It was a working visit, though a private meeting. She needn't have worn a dress or even a skirt, but a nice pair of dress-pants would have been dressier than jeans. Or she could have dressed up the jeans with a smart jacket.

That wouldn't have satisfied the children, though.
They were expecting a Disney princess, in long frilly dress and tiara.
That's what they've been conditioned to think a princess should wear.
Anything short of that would be a disappointment.

I say step out look great and expect to be seen. She is HRH the Duchess of Cambridge wife of the second in line to the throne. I think she would surprised to step out and not be looked at.

The Duchess was there to visit The Art Room. She met with nine students. We do not know what she did during the meeting -- whether they did any work together. The rest of the school waved at her from the parking lot. So no, I do not think it was her intention to meet the rest of the school. It was clearly a private visit, as quoted by spokespersons. And I find it ridiculous that the article should focus on the fact that she wore jeans.

The Duchess was there to visit The Art Room. She met with nine students. We do not know what she did during the meeting -- whether they did any work together. The rest of the school waved at her from the parking lot. So no, I do not think it was her intention to meet the rest of the school. It was clearly a private visit, as quoted by spokespersons. And I find it ridiculous that the article should focus on the fact that she wore jeans.

It sounds like there might have been a miscommunication between the school and the Duchess/the Palace with Catherine showing up expecting an in and out information gathering session and the school turning it into something more like a regular school visit.

Kate needs to project a "work" persona. The Queen would never turn up underdressed, neither would Camilla nor the Princess Royal.

The last time I checked Catherine isn't a 85 year old Queen, nor is she a 64/61 year old lady so can we please not compare her to generations way older than her? Catherine is a 29 year old, imo she is dressed how she should be ... it was an informal vist and she looked nice.

I personally have no issues with her showing up on jeans and sweater for a visit to a school, especially if she'll be visiting an art room, where she may want to get down and participate in the activity. I don't think people realize that when working with children, one needs to be as comfortable as possible. Today's teaching is not so much lecture (at least not for primary school) as it is about being hands-on and interactive. I would have loved to student teach in jeans and nice, comfortable shoes, however, I chose to follow the lead of my cooperating teachers and ended up coming into work dressed more 'business-casual'. It bit me in the rear when we did activities that involved food, clay, or any sort of colored dye. Catherine dressed fine for an informal visit. If it were formal, maybe wearing black or grey jeans would have looked a little bit better. Dress pants would have made things a little more awkward if she wanted to be hands-on.

Kate needs to project a "work" persona. The Queen would never turn up underdressed, neither would Camilla nor the Princess Royal.

Neither of those three woman are likely to ever make a surprise visit to a school either.

The last time I checked Catherine isn't a 85 year old Queen, nor is she a 64/61 year old lady so can we please not compare her to generations way older than her? Catherine is a 29 year old, imo she is dressed how she should be ... it was an informal vist and she looked nice.

Please don't admonish me. If she's on business, she needs to dress for business. I was comparing Kate to HM and PR only in that they know how to dress and, apparently, she does not.

I think everyone is making a big deal out of nothing. She wasn't going to this school to be photographed or as an official event. I honestly think that she was dressed fine. She was just being acquainted with the school and their work. It's fine. Don't make too much out of nothing. I agree that comparing her to the Queen or the Duchess of Cornwall on official events is completely unfair especially since you have no idea what they do on unofficial visits. Just relax everyone. Don't be overly critical of something none of us has a full scope on. We have no idea what the visit entailed. She has a better understanding of what she was doing and so do her advisors. They know what is required and involved in this event.

From the link above, they used to have a picture when I posted it where all the Adult wearing jeans and some wear wearing jean jackets. So I think she dress appropriated, it would look ridiculous otherwise

Please don't admonish me. If she's on business, she needs to dress for business. I was comparing Kate to HM and PR only in that they know how to dress and, apparently, she does not.

She was on an informal trip to get a look at the program. If it was an official visit then yes she would need to be dressed for it. So IMO she did know how to dress for it.

She was on an informal trip to get a look at the program. If it was an official visit then yes she would need to be dressed for it. So IMO she did know how to dress for it.

Exactly! Why this is such a big deal is beyond me, except it just gives some people another reason to criticize her.

From the link above, they used to have a picture when I posted it where all the Adult wearing jeans and some wear wearing jean jackets. So I think she dress appropriated, it would look ridiculous otherwise
So, on an impromptu visit to a factory she's going to wear overalls and gumboots? Yeah right!

I think unless she turned up in her wedding dress the children wouldn't be happy they think a princess always wears a big gown and crown. She looked fine

I think unless she turned up in her wedding dress the children wouldn't be happy they think a princess always wears a big gown and crown. She looked fine

I wonder what princess Anne would think of this Non-Story. apart from some official pics in her youth she has never tried to look like a fairy tale princess, she simply IS The Princess Royal.

Not certain what all the fuss is about here. Kate looked really fine for the occasion. The children may have been expecting something more as they usually grow up the fantasy that Princes and Princesses wear crowns and extravagant clothing. However, Kate is simply not an "over the top" girl nor is she an actual Princess yet. In any case, when meeting people, more especially children, it is the warmth from the heart that really matters.

So, on an impromptu visit to a factory she's going to wear overalls and gumboots? Yeah right!

I think it ridiculous that people think she should dress up when everyone else is wearing something like this
islington-training.jpg

http://www.theartroom.org.uk/media/news/islington-training.jpg

Or for her to wear Jeans and flip-flop when everyone else is wearing suits and dresses

"Business"? Well, I'm a teacher so I guess I'm in that same "business." I don't know about the school Kate visited, but I'm not so sure that small children judge people very much by how they dress - and if they were expecting a frilly dress and a tiara, then they got a most realistic lesson in how unrealistic it is to expect that. Hopefully, Kate conveyed, with her persona and personality, what a well-mannered, regal person is like when dealing with children - and that's all that matters.

The kids have surely seen pictures of her in her wedding dress, for them to know she dresses in an ordinary fashion is very healthy, in my view.

While it is slightly interesting to see what she's buying for them to eat, I can't help but feel sorry for her. She's probably trying to get out of there as fast as possible to avoid a frenzy of paps...unless that's just a rude employee blatantly snapping photos of her... Either way, I wouldn't be surprised if she started having someone do the shopping for her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom