The Duchess of Cambridge Current Events 1: April 29, 2011-January 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As I recall Dianas first solo appearance was turning on the Christmas lights in London. Both ladies were being eased into their positions. It has been said from the beginning that Cathernie would not just jump in and take on royal duties on her own and that it would all happen over time, while still allowing William and Catherine to adjust to married life in private in Wales. Honestly I don't know what people expect of a new royal bride. This wasn't even a planned engagement for her and somehow its not enough.

This is the part that gets me. No it wasn't a big event where she made a speech, nor was it a high profile event. It was an event at which she wasn't even supposed to be present. It was not planned to be her first solo event. So comparing it to other princesses first events seems a bit disingenuous. But that is my opinion and others may differ.

This was a small event and perhaps not that difficult, but she will be doing a lot of these presumably in her life and it's nice to know that she can handle it. Does the fact that she did a good job at this small event make her "inspirational"? Maybe, maybe not. All a matter of opinion.

For me, even though it was a low-key, small event, a "good job, Catherine!" does not seem to be out of place, or over the top. Again, JMO.:flowers:

:previous:There is quite a bit of fawning going on. We don't know whether or not her standing in was agreed on more than 24 hours earlier, we just have to believe what has been written. The Saudi CP had been ill for some weeks and died October 22, so they knew then that Charles would have to travel. I think she did a good job because she showed up, but 24 hours notice?

Last edited:
:previous:There is quite a bit of fawning going on. We don't know whether or not her standing was agreed on in advance, we just have to believe what has been written.

I'm not sure I understand. The Prince of Wales was scheduled to host the dinner, but had to go out of town at the last minute to pay his condolence in Saudia Arabia. An earlier article had said that the Duke of Cambridge was asked to step in, but he was on duty and so they turned to the Duchess. The Duchess of Corwall had another reception that evening, and I think just about everyone else in the RF was out of town. So I'm guessing they thought it was a good excuse to get her started out with a small event for her first solo engagement. A wise move, IMHO...:flowers:

But you're right, we seem to be a bit over-the-top with praises though...we're just happy she's making progress, that's all, even if it's only a small step.

Oopsie! You posted before I'd finished editing.

I'm not sure I understand. The Prince of Wales was scheduled to host the dinner, but had to go out of town at the last minute to pay his condolence in Saudia Arabia. An earlier article had said that the Duke of Cambridge was asked to step in, but he was on duty and so they turned to the Duchess. The Duchess of Corwall had another reception that evening, and I think just about everyone else in the RF was out of town. So I'm guessing they thought it was a good excuse to get her started out with a small event for her first solo engagement. A wise move, IMHO...:flowers:

But you're right, we seem to be a bit over-the-top with praises though...we're just happy she's making progress, that's all, even if it's only a small step.

:previous: Thank you, that's all I've been trying to say...

Twelve, twenty four, thirty six, hours advance notice ... does it really make THAT much difference. She was there, she looked beautiful, people were apparently thrilled that she stood in for Prince Charles. I don't see the reason for complaints or accusations that anyone thought she had made a miracle. That's a bit over the top IMHO. She was there, she did a good job. End of story, I don't understand why people cannot be pleased about that.

Because there are certain posters that will never be able to say anything nice or complimentary about Kate and just need to share their negativity and, in some cases, downright venom w/all of us. I feel sorry for them personally, as to be so nasty about someone they'll never meet, ends up showing what kind of a person they truly are than anything they say about the Royal they're attacking.

Personally, for someone who has never had to do this before and on short notice, I think Kate did wonderfully. And to try and head it off...Yes, for a Royal Event, a couple of days *is* short notice. For a Royal that's only been a Royal since April 29th and it was her first time going Solo, I don't care that it was a Dinner Party kind of an engagement, it was still a Solo on her own w/out the safety net of William beside her if she did have a problem Engagement for Kate and she passed w/flying colours.

And now I'm off to see if there's an Ignore feature here at TRF, because I've just plain had it w/reading such negative/bitter posts.

I wish I had as much time as some other people had to comment on people that they are very negative towards!!

Last edited:
Twelve, twenty four, thirty six, hours advance notice ... does it really make THAT much difference. She was there, she looked beautiful, people were apparently thrilled that she stood in for Prince Charles. I don't see the reason for complaints or accusations that anyone thought she had made a miracle. That's a bit over the top IMHO. She was there, she did a good job. End of story, I don't understand why people cannot be pleased about that.

Because there are certain posters that will never be able to say anything nice or complimentary about Kate and just need to share their negativity and, in some cases, downright venom w/all of us. I feel sorry for them personally, as to be so nasty about someone they'll never meet, ends up showing what kind of a person they truly are than anything they say about the Royal they're attacking.

Personally, for someone who has never had to do this before and on short notice, I think Kate did wonderfully. And to try and head it off...Yes, for a Royal Event, a couple of days *is* short notice. For a Royal that's only been a Royal since April 29th and it was her first time going Solo, I don't care that it was a Dinner Party kind of an engagement, it was still a Solo on her own w/out the safety net of William beside her if she did have a problem Engagement for Kate and she passed w/flying colours.

And now I'm off to see if there's an Ignore feature here at TRF, because I've just plain had it w/reading such negative/bitter posts.

I wish I had as much time as some other people had to comment on people they are very negative towards!!

Thank you for being the few voices of reason. The negativity on this thread is really beginning to grate on my nerves too.

I am in agreement with the "fawning" remark, there is a lot of this whenever a royal does anything, but the Duchess does seem to be making progress. As to people who don't happen to be impressed by her I don't think the word venom is very appropriate, we all have a right to opinion and this forum is a good place to express our differing opinions.
One thing that did impress me about Catherine is her height, she towered over all the people in the photographs, this was something I hadn't realised before.
As to tiaras, there is a protocol to follow.
Once, at a banquet King Edward VII turned to a guest and told her that the Queen was wearing a tiara but he inferred she, the guest, was not and this was bad manners. I don't think it even entered his head that perhaps some people, even highly born people as well as others, did not have a tiara or a fortune large enough to run out and buy one for a dinner invitation.
There are so many tiaras in the royal collection that I am sure if a tiara was called for Catherine would have worn one.

:previous:

Quite right about Diana' first solo engagement, NGalitzine. Diana also did materially 'better' on her first engagement :): she recieved some very nice presents for her trouble -from memory, there was even a nice little surprise concealed in the bouquet with which she was presented. I am of course making a light-hearted reference; obviously Catherine could not have expected something in the circumtances!

Alex

Charles always loved to buy little trinkets - I'm sure he will show Catherine his gratitude with a nice little gift. :flowers:

I am in agreement with the "fawning" remark, there is a lot of this whenever a royal does anything, but the Duchess does seem to be making progress. As to people who don't happen to be impressed by her I don't think the word venom is very appropriate, we all have a right to opinion and this forum is a good place to express our differing opinions.
One thing that did impress me about Catherine is her height, she towered over all the people in the photographs, this was something I hadn't realised before.
As to tiaras, there is a protocol to follow.
Once, at a banquet King Edward VII turned to a guest and told her that the Queen was wearing a tiara but he inferred she, the guest, was not and this was bad manners. I don't think it even entered his head that perhaps some people, even highly born people as well as others, did not have a tiara or a fortune large enough to run out and buy one for a dinner invitation.
There are so many tiaras in the royal collection that I am sure if a tiara was called for Catherine would have worn one.

Kate does have imposing height; it seems most pictures we see of her is by William's side where it's not so noticeable since he's over 6 feet himself and she's near to him in height. But when she's with people of average height, she does stand out.

And that is a good anecdote about Edward VII and the tiara; I believe the lady in question did not have the opportunity to get her tiara out of the bank vault in time for the banquet, from what I had heard of that story. Those of us who are looking forward to see Kate in a tiara, whether it's the Scroll or another from the imposing royal collection, are still awaiting the event where she does. Naturally a dinner where she's hostess to a charity doesn't call for it, but we all like to at least visualize how a tiara would look when she's dressed suitably for an occasion. One can always imagine! :)

Last edited:
:previous:Thanks for the article; it seems people are embracing the "lady-like" look that Kate embodies.

You hit the nail on the head Daria. Long overdue for it to go the way of the Dodo and so happy that Kate is bringing back lady like looks again.

You hit the nail on the head Daria. Long overdue for it to go the way of the Dodo and so happy that Kate is bringing back lady like looks again.

Aye, aye. Hoping the trend continues.

I have no clue about the source of this info but:
Royalinsight Royal Insight

#DuchessofCambridge jewellery box just got bigger. With new diamond bracelet with matching earrings added as a gift from Prince Charles.

I'm assuming it was to show her how proud and appreciative he was that she took on last week's solo engagement on his behalf.

I've never heard of her receiving a gift for any other engagement unless I missed something.

It's got to be a different set other than the one Kate wore that night, which we've seen her wear before, if this is true. If so, I hope we get to see these pieces soon.

Perhaps he doesn't intend to gift her so lavishly for every engagement, but wants to reward her for her first time at bat, so to speak. Doesn't seem that odd for a father-in-law to wish to do and, if within his means, go ahead and do. Kate is not so silly (or greedy) as to expect a gift every time.

OTOH, perhaps it's a belated wedding gift - or as some of us suspect, some other kind of gift. If true (that the gift was given) that was very nice of Prince Charles. She needs some bling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom