The Duchess of Cambridge Current Events 1: April 29, 2011-January 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
William and Catherine announced before the wedding that they would not have staff when they were in Wales. For any doubters, just who do you think would buy their groceries if Catherine didn't do it. She wasn't raised with help, so I am sure she knows how to do all the tasks of a housewife. I 'll bet that she is still tired from the stress of the wedding. May hey have a long and happy life.

This is during their trip to Canada correct?

Yes, correct.
It will be nice to see and engagement with something related to Catherine's side of the family as well.

Yes, it sounds like it.

Kate's Grandfather was a very brave man. Especially as the Mozzy, unlike the other fighters of WWII, was completely made of wood. W/the exception of the engine and other hardware, but the body was completely wooden.

Kate looked fabulous in those photos.....I feel sorry for her that she can't even grocery shop without being photographed and scrutinized.
I would also add that I hope someone publishes a knitting pattern for the shawl she was wearing. It's lovely!

Same here. Make up it's always on the face! even if just a lipgloss and concealer.

Anyways, Catherine and William are private people. the first ever public kiss and hand holding happened after 8 YEARS! .

I thought the first public kiss happened in 2004 on a sking trip??? Maybe Im wrong. I hope they dont show pictures every times she goes to get food...

...no she's not trying to make you buy a green poncho.

The only way I would wear something like that green shawl was if I didn't, I would go to the Tower.

Not pretty...

I just had another look at those photos to see if I'd changed my mind about the shawl/poncho. Nope.

I hope she publishes a cookbook of the Anglesey recipes while DofCa is off in Grenada.

Last edited:
Stalkers are going to get annoying real fast. Poor woman! She looks fine to me.

My impression [over the years] has been that this couple lives a far more ordinary and public life than the Queen ever did. They are photographed shopping in clothing stores, coming out of night clubs. I believe the Prince and his friends stopped in a curry restaurant casually (near this base?) once and caused a stir. Who doesn't want to eat out once in a while?

Another shopping report I read [on Anglesey I believe?] was once when they were picking up some lettuce and frozen pizza and the cashier realized who it was when they used her credit card. Maybe that was the fuzzy video?

This sounds like I'm a stalker, but I read most of it *here*, and only drop by now and then when big events happen. Regards housework, I recall a photo of Kate taking out the trash snapped by reporters outside her apartment in London years ago. Sorry, but I don't believe any of this is publicity, it's just them trying to live their lives.

But then I always felt bad for the Count and Countess of Wessex when they had to quit their jobs.

Doing grocery shopping is a luxury for someone in her position. I think Kate and William will enjoy every bit of "normal life" they have while they still can. When they have kids, Kate will probably make sure the kids will be able to go on "fun and exciting trips" to the supermarket. It will be a treat for them to be able to do "normal" things once in a while.

Stalkers are going to get annoying real fast. Poor woman! She looks fine to me.

My impression [over the years] has been that this couple lives a far more ordinary and public life than the Queen ever did. They are photographed shopping in clothing stores, coming out of night clubs. I believe the Prince and his friends stopped in a curry restaurant casually (near this base?) once and caused a stir. Who doesn't want to eat out once in a while?

Another shopping report I read [on Anglesey I believe?] was once when they were picking up some lettuce and frozen pizza and the cashier realized who it was when they used her credit card. Maybe that was the fuzzy video?

This sounds like I'm a stalker, but I read most of it *here*, and only drop by now and then when big events happen. Regards housework, I recall a photo of Kate taking out the trash snapped by reporters outside her apartment in London years ago. Sorry, but I don't believe any of this is publicity, it's just them trying to live their lives.

But then I always felt bad for the Count and Countess of Wessex when they had to quit their jobs.

This is a Royalty Forum, many of us would be considered stalkerish :p!
For me the media is the one trying to created the image. I very much doubt William and Catherine go out everyday thinking: "Now how would the Normal ones do this ?!" it's just fun for magazines and allowed them to portrait the couple as "one of us" (even if, not really). Besides US Weekly needs pics like this for their "Stars are just like Us" pieces.

This is a Royalty Forum, many of us would be considered stalkerish :p!
Considered?? Mr. Russo considers Russo a down right nutter over the Royals! :D

Well I hope the Duke and Duchess are having a marvelous time!

Considered?? Mr. Russo considers Russo a down right nutter over the Royals! :D

Well I hope the Duke and Duchess are having a marvelous time!

The Duke and many of my friends think I have stalker-like tendencies regarding the royals. :whistling:

Or it could be stress and genetics. If she is stressing I hope she'll stop. I'm just saying she's to pretty to be looking like that.

Okay I'm going to explain myself: When I say nothing about her life is hard I mean she doesn't have to worry about bills. She doesn't have to clean her house. She doesn't have to worry about paying rent. She doesn't have to worry about where her next meal is coming from. No worries about putting clothes on her back. No worries about taking care of her kids. She doesn't have to worry about having no hot water...or even running water for that matter. She doesn't have to worry about gas prices. She doesn't have to work her butt off or sell drugs just to make a dollar. The list can go on and on. You get the picture.

So yes her life is not hard. It's frustrating being scrutinized and in front of the cameras but not hard. What I described above is hard.

CP5, everyone who read your original post should have understood what you were saying. You are kind to have taken the time to explain what you meant.

I see that she wants to be a "normal" person, but I thought royals are supposed to be that "royals" in every aspect of their life. Instead of going to the grocery store, she should be gathering information on which charities she wants to support. If she wanted to be a normal housewife, then she should have married someone else. I love Kate, but I don't agree with trying to be the old Kate--I have never seen royals shopping. Does the Queen approve?

Last edited:
I see that she wants to be a "normal" person, but I thought royals are supposed to be that "royals" in every aspect of their life. Instead of going to the grocery store, she should be gathering information on which charities she wants to support. If she wanted to be a normal housewife, then she should have married someone else. I love Kate, but I don't agree with trying to be the old Kate--I have never seen royals shopping. Does the Queen approve?

I think you have a good point, Roxsteve. Part of the appeal of any monarchy is its mystique -- that they are different from the general public. While I think it is a novelty to see Catherine at the grocery store, I don't see how it could or should be a regular thing. It's a strange new hybrid situation they are moving into -- wanting to be "normal" for a couple of years and then presumably having to be full-time royals. The consensus seems to be that HM is allowing them to proceed at a slow pace so as not to drop Catherine into the fire (so to speak) too soon. As a commoner, this was the only way of life she had ever known and you can't just flip a switch and change overnight, at least not comfortably. I chuckle to think how the courtiers must have reacted to those grocery cart (trolley) photos. I can't think of any other royal person who attends to everyday tasks in this way and is actually seen doing so -- though there was a photo of CP Mary taking out the trash at Fredensborg once. It will certainly be interesting to watch it play out. :flowers:

A newpaper editor once asked the Queen why Diana just didnt send a servant to the store if she wanted some sweets. The Queen's response was that she thought that was a very pompous suggestion, so I am betting she doesnt have a problem with Catherine as the wife of a serving officer doing the family grocery shopping herself.

Great points Windsorgirl and NGalitzine. Thanks for sharing. I love Catherine, and I think she is a sweet girl. I wish her all the best..

Well put Windsorgirl and I totally agree great care must be taken here and this obsession people have with the royals of any nationality being normal and like the rest of us is very odd to me. I agree mystique is the thing and well I am not sure this should go on.... a lot of money is spent to create the image if this is what this is just the image then okay if the shopping and so is going to be the norm then it must travelled with care or the outcome could be that they will be swallowed up by the averageness that seems to me to be the order of the day in life generally. This is of course only IMO.

I love Kate, but I don't agree with trying to be the old Kate--I have never seen royals shopping. Does the Queen approve?

Sometimes going out shopping, even for groceries, is just fun. I recall two things: I was ill once for quite some time and though my family wonderfully cared for me, I just longed to get out and browse even the meager contents of the village shop - just for fun. And the day when we heard that a new, large gas station was going to open just down the road - that meant we could read (in pre-internet times) the sunday papers on sunday. A truly festive day!

While it is nice to live in a small village in the mountains (or in a small village in Wales like W&C), its good to go out shopping occassionally.

I can't think of any other royal person who attends to everyday tasks in this way and is actually seen doing so -- though there was a photo of CP Mary taking out the trash at Fredensborg once. It will certainly be interesting to watch it play out. :flowers:

"to be normal" usually gets the sympathy vote and can be quite helpful at times. Photographers were tipped off when Mary would carry the trashbag and its down to everyones interpretation regarding Kate doing grocery shopping :whistling:
Seeing pictures of Kate with a shopping trolley makes people forget that in reality they are far from normal, I doubt the ordinary search and rescue pilot will have an only remotely as expensive honeymoon. Thats the funny thing with William, who always wants to be "normal" but hasnt got a clue what "normal" actually is, same goes for Kate who spend years waiting without having to work. No problem but royals pretending being no different from the ordinary Joe is pure hypocracy.

I don't see anything wrong with Kate going grocery shopping. She is simply doing what she has always done if she enjoys doing good for her.

The shopping trip was perhaps to throw the press off. It gave the impression that William and Catherine were nicely settling in to their domestic life while in reality they were packing for their honeymoon. They managed to leave without any photographer around, great job.

Not everyone who has wealth and a priviledged background have the life of luxury with servants, chauffers and waited on hand and foot. Perhaps this is how they are able to maintain their wealth. With all that I've read about the Middleton family, I don't recall reading about staff in their home so I've assumed Kate was raised with chores, Carole did the cooking and cleaning etc like a "normal" family. William had a more "royal" upbringing but his mother had a down to earth approach. There are some that like to think they have wealth and are quite extravagant and end up in financial troubles such as one red head we all know. Those that have wealth are usually smart enough to know how to hang onto it too.

Living in Wales in a remote area, I don't doubt for a minute that William and Kate have a lifestyle similar to any of the SAR crew William works with (ok.. the expensive honeymoon is the odd quirk). Its nothing new to either one of them. They both spent time in Chile (we saw William cooking and scrubbing toilets), had to fend for themselves while living at St. Andrews and from what I recall, Kate had a flat in London for a while also. So bringing in the groceries, taking out the trash and the everyday mundane chores that need to be done is nothing new to these two. They both know that a different lifestyle lies ahead of them and they will gradually move in that direction but for now they're content with the simpler life of a SAR pilot serving in Wales. Kate and the shopping cart wasn't a ploy to befuzzle the media, nor a publicity stunt or anything else than they needed food to eat.

same goes for Kate who spend years waiting without having to work. No problem but royals pretending being no different from the ordinary Joe is pure hypocracy.

But how do they pretend? It's not them who judge but the people meeting them or reading about them. Here in Germany a SAR-pilot, of the military or privately employed, is a top employee/member of military staff and surely can afford a honeymoon at the Seychelles. Alas, as they don't need the extra privacy, they can go on a much cheaper, but still luxurious holiday.

As for Catherine not working: sure, as a millionaires daughter she didn't need to work. But as granddaughter of "Lady" Dorothy Goldsmith, whose two children both rose from humble beginnings to self-made millionaires, she surely inherited and was taught some sort of workethic. But as she as a lot of normal people are used to, worked from a homeoffice, she was not seen working. Instead of playing for the ranks of the media, she kept a low profile and accepted her monikers - but that doesn't mean she didn't do anything for others.

I believe Catherine and William are just that: Catherine and William. Nothing more, nothing less. One day they are TRH The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, representatives of the Uk, the next day they are Fgt. Lt. and Mrs. William Wales, pilot and his housewife spouse. On their honeymoon they are fairytale Prince and his new princess. On other holidays they'll cycle round Britain and sleep in a tent on the ground (Thats what Boris Johnson told when he explained that he had given them a tent and bikes for their wedding: that they plan to use it!) But in both Royal and "ordinary" roles (which have a lot of variations to it) they seem to be authentic people. And that's what others feel on meeting them and that's what comes across as positive.

But how do they pretend? It's not them who judge but the people meeting them or reading about them. Here in Germany a SAR-pilot, of the military or privately employed, is a top employee/member of military staff and surely can afford a honeymoon at the Seychelles. Alas, as they don't need the extra privacy, they can go on a much cheaper, but still luxurious holiday.

As for Catherine not working: sure, as a millionaires daughter she didn't need to work. But as granddaughter of "Lady" Dorothy Goldsmith, whose two children both rose from humble beginnings to self-made millionaires, she surely inherited and was taught some sort of workethic. But as she as a lot of normal people are used to, worked from a homeoffice, she was not seen working. Instead of playing for the ranks of the media, she kept a low profile and accepted her monikers - but that doesn't mean she didn't do anything for others.

I believe Catherine and William are just that: Catherine and William. Nothing more, nothing less. One day they are TRH The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, representatives of the Uk, the next day they are Fgt. Lt. and Mrs. William Wales, pilot and his housewife spouse. On their honeymoon they are fairytale Prince and his new princess. On other holidays they'll cycle round Britain and sleep in a tent on the ground (Thats what Boris Johnson told when he explained that he had given them a tent and bikes for their wedding: that they plan to use it!) But in both Royal and "ordinary" roles (which have a lot of variations to it) they seem to be authentic people. And that's what others feel on meeting them and that's what comes across as positive.

I totally agree with you they are simply being themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom