The Duchess of Cambridge Current Events 1: April 29, 2011-January 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:previous:

IMO, that is a rather cynical interpretation on what might just be a simple stop at a supermarket to buy some groceries!

Sometimes its rather cynical what the BRF is trying to sell to the public when trying to influence opinion to their favour or closing ranks when trying play down various scandals of family members.

I fully agree with Al_bina, it works both ways. A down to earth dutchess doing her own shopping is great PR after all. Apart from the "normal" life (not sure how "normal" it is in comparison to Joe Average) the BRF lives off selling a fantasy, first and foremost, William and Kate being the protagonists in that respect.

AND a "not down to earth Dutchess" would be a snob and an elitist etc. It looks like one of those no win situations to me. I always wonder why people who so clearly dislike the BRF would even bother or want to follow their activities ... unless it is only for the reason to criticize.

I think there is a fair amount of jealousy going on (among posters who don't even realize it). I caught myself being a tad "green-eyed" in one of my posts. Criticism of the new Duchess is a way of making "wanna-bees" feel superior. We all do it, some better than others.

AND a "not down to earth Dutchess" would be a snob and an elitist etc. It looks like one of those no win situations to me. I always wonder why people who so clearly dislike the BRF would even bother or want to follow their activities ... unless it is only for the reason to criticize.

Well Said!! I've never understood such postings either.

As for the Five Protection Officers for one person...Remember what happened in Pakistan on Sunday night? I'm guessing Security's on High Alert for any one in The Royal Family and Government right now in Britain.

Sad to even think it, but you've got to think some type of revenge is in plan at the very least right now. Yes, it was the US that did the mission, but the UK is also a major ally to the US w/it comes to Military Action in Iraq/Afghanistan.

Just my two cents on it...

now...if it were HM doing the weekly shop then i'd say it was PR.

No, but when Princess Elizabeth first married, she lived an 'ordinary life' as a Navy wife in Malta. So there is prescedent.

Maria527 said:
The only photos taken were of her returning the empty cart after unloading it into her car (that's what the article says). This leads me to believe that someone called and told the media that she was there and by the time the media arrived, they caught the tail end of her trip.

Had they know ahead of time, they would have had more photos of her shopping.

I tend to agree- although it would also work this way if a PR stunt, the agreement would be a few pics, maybe no groceries in the shot (as that may seen too personal) but honestly I feel this one could go either way....I mean yes she's shopped here before but how come no pics of her doing it before? Don't say no interest bc we know that's not true.....it's hard to say IMO so I'll give benefit of doubt and say no PR stunt :)

Last edited:
It's unfortunate that Kate doesn't look perfect in fuzzy pictures with abysmal grey lighting....

I bet if we all saw her in person she looked great, considering I'm pretty sure her natural color isn't brownish grey and she shops with her eyes open. Also, even videos of her engagements were better than the pics. Kate can't pose at all times.

Sometimes its rather cynical what the BRF is trying to sell to the public when trying to influence opinion to their favour or closing ranks when trying play down various scandals of family members.

I fully agree with Al_bina, it works both ways. A down to earth dutchess doing her own shopping is great PR after all. Apart from the "normal" life (not sure how "normal" it is in comparison to Joe Average) the BRF lives off selling a fantasy, first and foremost, William and Kate being the protagonists in that respect.

If it had been staged, I'd have to think she would have made sure she didn't appear "rough and old". You aren't likely to have it both ways.

People think her life is not hard? Not physically hard, certainly, nor financially hard, but how would you like to be criticized in your looks, your clothes, your hair, and your intentions of "staging" something every time you poked your nose out of your house for a bit of shopping?

I figured it wouldn't take long after the wedding for people to start being hypercritical of her, but it took less than a week -- sad.

AnnEliza said:
I figured it wouldn't take long after the wedding for people to start being hypercritical of her, but it took less than a week -- sad.

Well to be fair, not everyone liked her before the wedding either. And some of us are just being honest w our opinions based on these pics, that's all.... I like her but will still comment if I think she looks ''harsh'' or gorgeous , either way

If I'm honest with myself... she still looks much younger, fresher, slimmer, sleeker, prettier and shiny-haired than I do when I pop into the grocery store! Staged or not- this is ONLY a visit to the grocery store. Not exactly worthy of front page news, is it?

I tend to agree- although it would also work this way if a PR stunt, the agreement would be a few pics, maybe no groceries in the shot (as that may seen too personal) but honestly I feel this one could go either way....I mean yes she's shopped here before but how come no pics of her doing it before? Don't say no interest bc we know that's not true.....it's hard to say IMO so I'll give benefit of doubt and say no PR stunt :)

Was she living in Anglesey full-time before the engagement? I thought she was only spending weekends there. I imagine, the lack of photos could have been because the paps didn't really care to hang around hoping to catch a glimpse of her. Now that they know she's living there full time, they figure it will be easier to find her.

And according to someone on tumblr, the paps have descended on Anglesey. So it appears the grocery store pictures are not some PR stunt.

http://sixfeetunderatl-.tumblr.com/post/5224001328

I definitely agree, AnnEliza.

Last edited:
soapstar said:
Was she living in Anglesey full-time before the engagement? I thought she was only spending weekends there.

And according to someone on tumblr, the paps have descended on Anglesey. So it appears the grocery store pictures are not some PR stunt.

I believe they did live together before the engagement ....pretty sure at least. Good point! She is a hot commodity so of course non PR stunt and pap's makes sense, I'm just surprised there are no pictures of her full cart with headlines ''Eat like the Duke and Duchess'' ......;)

But for me I'm just happy to see her!

Its pretty clear the picture was not a pr stunt. They need to eat lol and do lots of things. The media knows that they live there and they simply play the waiting game. It wouldn't surprise me though if someone complains about her privacy being invaded. I've read of the Prince's deep dislike of the media bothering Catherine when they were dating. But probably nothing can be done.

No, but when Princess Elizabeth first married, she lived an 'ordinary life' as a Navy wife in Malta. So there is prescedent.

Princess Elizabeth lived far from 'an ordinary life' as a Navy wife when she was in Malta! She certainly didn't do the weekly grocery shopping and didn't do household chores. She and Philip lived in a large rented estate with servants. A few years back for a documentary on Elizabeth and Philip's anniversary, the man who had lived on their estate and had been their chauffeur was interviewed. His wife had worked as their cook and housekeeper, there was other staff was well.

It's great to see her out and about, enjoying some well-deserved rest and (relative) freedom. Hopefully the real honeymoon is around the corner.

People think her life is not hard? Not physically hard, certainly, nor financially hard, but how would you like to be criticized in your looks, your clothes, your hair, and your intentions of "staging" something every time you poked your nose out of your house for a bit of shopping?
Agreed. I really dislike how some people automatically equate access to money with an easy life, a life of privilege with arrogance and feelings of entitlement, and a celebrity status with a desire for attention. Knowing that there are people who don't fit those preconceptions, though, is hard for sure.

It would be complete folly to expect anything better, but I do agree. Criticism isn't a bad thing, but it's got to be done within the right context. For example, given what we do know about the Duke and Duchess and their attitudes toward paparazzi and the media, it's hard to imagine that these photos were staged for PR purposes. Even if this supermarket jaunt was staged by the RF, it's quite understandable given that its continued existence depends somewhat on good PR.

Last edited:
Why is everything about PR? :rem:
Cant they live a normal life for now & enjoy what they use to do because they want to & can.

This is hardly a PR stunt. We know she and William have gone grocery shopping before, just like regular people. Catherine is probably also aware that the paparazzi have descended on their town to get pictures of her. So what if she took a little extra care to make sure she didn't look schlubby when she went to the store? At least the paps waited until the shopping was done and they were getting ready to leave to take their pics.

Why is everything about PR? :rem:
Cant they live a normal life for now & enjoy what they use to do because they want to & can.

I totally agree, however some people who don't like her will think of any reason to criticise her or make her look bad.
That is part of why I admire her for her poise, she really seems to have a stable background and that is so important.

i seem to recall that there have been pics of them doing the shopping before they were married.

it's a no win situation. if she takes care of her appearance before going out for personal reasons then she'll be accused of playing for the cameras/cooperating in a PR stunt. if she doesn't take care of her appearance then the headlines will read that it's all taking a toll on her. poor girl.

Duchess said:
i seem to recall that there have been pics of them doing the shopping before they were married.

I must have missed those. I just remember grainy video of them from a survelliance camera....

I guess I should have been clearer I guess by PR I at least meant a tit for tat type of deal, like hey photographers we'll be here for you to get a few shots but after that give us some space type of deal....and that deal has been done between William and the media before.....but that being said also it might not be so, it's just an opinion

Duchess said:
it's a no win situation. if she takes care of her appearance before going out for personal reasons then she'll be accused of playing for the cameras/cooperating in a PR stunt.

Well not for me at least bc I try to look nice when going out anywhere so that's not what made me think that way, I would hope she would try to look nice like every regulate person and some plp actually think she looks a bit tired here, so these pics actually fit both scenarios you've discribed :) (I think she looks nice, love her shawl and shoes) ....

Last edited:
I really hope we won't have too many pics of visits to the supermarket as it's hardly an "event".

Well not for me at least bc I try to look nice when going out anywhere so that's not what made me think that way, I would hope she would try to look nice like every regulate person and some plp actually think she looks a bit tired here, so these pics actually fit both scenarios you've discribed :) (I think she looks nice, love her shawl and shoes) ....[/QUOTE]

Looking like you look is always nice to me, why do we always have to pretend what we aren´t? It´s always and everywhere the same - since the pictures in the magazines are all - all of them - photoshopped mankind seems to loose the sense for naturalness. Terrible.
I would look a bit tired after a wedding like this ..

Well I'm a truly shallow person ... I NEVER go out without my makeup on (even to the grocery store or post office) and that included when my children were small. :D

I even used to wear make up when playing tennis. Good thing about that was, I never got sunburned. :ROFLMAO:

Well I'm a truly shallow person ... I NEVER go out without my makeup on (even to the grocery store or post office) and that included when my children were small. :D

I even used to wear make up when playing tennis. Good thing about that was, I never got sunburned. :ROFLMAO:

Same here. Make up it's always on the face! even if just a lipgloss and concealer.

Anyways, Catherine and William are private people. the first ever public kiss and hand holding happened after 8 YEARS!
If you doubt that just go look for interviews of paps and reporters. it's consensual. William has learn to accept it but he will never like the media. ever!
People are making a big fuss about something so simple. She went out to buy food full stop. No, she' not trying to be the perfect housewife, no she's not trying to make you buy a green poncho.

Same here. Make up it's always on the face! even if just a lipgloss and concealer.

Anyways, Catherine and William are private people. the first ever public kiss and hand holding happened after 8 YEARS!
If you doubt that just go look for interviews of paps and reporters. it's consensual. William has learn to accept it but he will never like the media. ever!
People are making a big fuss about something so simple. She went out to buy food full stop. No, she' not trying to be the perfect housewife, no she's not trying to make you buy a green poncho.

Well, I am thrlled she was seen w/a Green Shawl the other day. I love them, but get a bit of grief over them because they're just so "old fashioned" looking and not something that's "in". Me thinks that's about to change and I couldn't be happier!!

Especially as I knit and crochet and now I'll get to "play" w/some of the wonderful patterns available to me, but really didn't have a reason to make. Sigh...Have to pull out the Crochet magazine cache and see what catches my fancy. :eek:D

She has been through ALOT.wedding or no wedding..She needs rest rest and more rest.

She'll be just fine..

justina said:
Looking like you look is always nice to me, why do we always have to pretend what we aren´t?

Sometimes I just have to laugh- when I look nice I still look like me and so does Catherine IMO ......no one is pretending .....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom