The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 04:35 PM
Heir Presumptive

Oopsie! You posted before I'd finished editing.

Old 10-28-2011, 04:41 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal_Eagle View Post
I'm not sure I understand. The Prince of Wales was scheduled to host the dinner, but had to go out of town at the last minute to pay his condolence in Saudia Arabia. An earlier article had said that the Duke of Cambridge was asked to step in, but he was on duty and so they turned to the Duchess. The Duchess of Corwall had another reception that evening, and I think just about everyone else in the RF was out of town. So I'm guessing they thought it was a good excuse to get her started out with a small event for her first solo engagement. A wise move, IMHO...

But you're right, we seem to be a bit over-the-top with praises though...we're just happy she's making progress, that's all, even if it's only a small step.
Thank you, that's all I've been trying to say...

Old 10-28-2011, 05:09 PM
Heir Apparent

She found out on Tuesday according to this article
"Borehamwood woman speaks of excitement about dinner with duchess"

http://www.borehamwoodtimes.co.uk/ne...ss/?ref=twtrec
Old 10-28-2011, 06:18 PM
Courtier

Twelve, twenty four, thirty six, hours advance notice ... does it really make THAT much difference. She was there, she looked beautiful, people were apparently thrilled that she stood in for Prince Charles. I don't see the reason for complaints or accusations that anyone thought she had made a miracle. That's a bit over the top IMHO. She was there, she did a good job. End of story, I don't understand why people cannot be pleased about that.
Old 10-28-2011, 06:35 PM
Serene Highness

Because there are certain posters that will never be able to say anything nice or complimentary about Kate and just need to share their negativity and, in some cases, downright venom w/all of us. I feel sorry for them personally, as to be so nasty about someone they'll never meet, ends up showing what kind of a person they truly are than anything they say about the Royal they're attacking.

Personally, for someone who has never had to do this before and on short notice, I think Kate did wonderfully. And to try and head it off...Yes, for a Royal Event, a couple of days *is* short notice. For a Royal that's only been a Royal since April 29th and it was her first time going Solo, I don't care that it was a Dinner Party kind of an engagement, it was still a Solo on her own w/out the safety net of William beside her if she did have a problem Engagement for Kate and she passed w/flying colours.

And now I'm off to see if there's an Ignore feature here at TRF, because I've just plain had it w/reading such negative/bitter posts.
Old 10-28-2011, 06:41 PM
Aristocracy

I wish I had as much time as some other people had to comment on people that they are very negative towards!!
Old 10-28-2011, 06:51 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess of Durham View Post
Twelve, twenty four, thirty six, hours advance notice ... does it really make THAT much difference. She was there, she looked beautiful, people were apparently thrilled that she stood in for Prince Charles. I don't see the reason for complaints or accusations that anyone thought she had made a miracle. That's a bit over the top IMHO. She was there, she did a good job. End of story, I don't understand why people cannot be pleased about that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggersk8 View Post
Because there are certain posters that will never be able to say anything nice or complimentary about Kate and just need to share their negativity and, in some cases, downright venom w/all of us. I feel sorry for them personally, as to be so nasty about someone they'll never meet, ends up showing what kind of a person they truly are than anything they say about the Royal they're attacking.

Personally, for someone who has never had to do this before and on short notice, I think Kate did wonderfully. And to try and head it off...Yes, for a Royal Event, a couple of days *is* short notice. For a Royal that's only been a Royal since April 29th and it was her first time going Solo, I don't care that it was a Dinner Party kind of an engagement, it was still a Solo on her own w/out the safety net of William beside her if she did have a problem Engagement for Kate and she passed w/flying colours.

And now I'm off to see if there's an Ignore feature here at TRF, because I've just plain had it w/reading such negative/bitter posts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TortillaChips View Post
I wish I had as much time as some other people had to comment on people they are very negative towards!!
Thank you for being the few voices of reason. The negativity on this thread is really beginning to grate on my nerves too.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 10-28-2011, 11:41 PM
Heir Apparent

Another new gorgeous shot of Kate from last night
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lt...m37to1_400.jpg
Old 10-28-2011, 11:55 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost_night554 View Post
She looks like a true Princess here. Regal and poised. The only thing that would have made the picture more spectacular is a tiara. Bravo, Your Highness .

Old 10-29-2011, 01:59 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost_night554 View Post
Absolutely beautiful. Regal!
They are two Princesses by marriage born as middle people who stepped into their role like if they were raised Royals. Catherine and Mary. For me all the others are good but a small step behind.
Old 10-29-2011, 03:14 AM
Aristocracy

I am in agreement with the "fawning" remark, there is a lot of this whenever a royal does anything, but the Duchess does seem to be making progress. As to people who don't happen to be impressed by her I don't think the word venom is very appropriate, we all have a right to opinion and this forum is a good place to express our differing opinions.
One thing that did impress me about Catherine is her height, she towered over all the people in the photographs, this was something I hadn't realised before.
As to tiaras, there is a protocol to follow.
Once, at a banquet King Edward VII turned to a guest and told her that the Queen was wearing a tiara but he inferred she, the guest, was not and this was bad manners. I don't think it even entered his head that perhaps some people, even highly born people as well as others, did not have a tiara or a fortune large enough to run out and buy one for a dinner invitation.
There are so many tiaras in the royal collection that I am sure if a tiara was called for Catherine would have worn one.
Old 10-29-2011, 04:32 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diarist View Post

Quite right about Diana' first solo engagement, NGalitzine. Diana also did materially 'better' on her first engagement : she recieved some very nice presents for her trouble -from memory, there was even a nice little surprise concealed in the bouquet with which she was presented. I am of course making a light-hearted reference; obviously Catherine could not have expected something in the circumtances!

Alex
Charles always loved to buy little trinkets - I'm sure he will show Catherine his gratitude with a nice little gift.
Old 10-29-2011, 05:11 AM
Courtier
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Month Representative – The Netherlands

Photogallery from "Pure People"

Kate Middleton : Plus que parfaite pour sa première soirée en solo
Old 10-29-2011, 08:20 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by expat View Post
I am in agreement with the "fawning" remark, there is a lot of this whenever a royal does anything, but the Duchess does seem to be making progress. As to people who don't happen to be impressed by her I don't think the word venom is very appropriate, we all have a right to opinion and this forum is a good place to express our differing opinions.
One thing that did impress me about Catherine is her height, she towered over all the people in the photographs, this was something I hadn't realised before.
As to tiaras, there is a protocol to follow.
Once, at a banquet King Edward VII turned to a guest and told her that the Queen was wearing a tiara but he inferred she, the guest, was not and this was bad manners. I don't think it even entered his head that perhaps some people, even highly born people as well as others, did not have a tiara or a fortune large enough to run out and buy one for a dinner invitation.
There are so many tiaras in the royal collection that I am sure if a tiara was called for Catherine would have worn one.
Kate does have imposing height; it seems most pictures we see of her is by William's side where it's not so noticeable since he's over 6 feet himself and she's near to him in height. But when she's with people of average height, she does stand out.

And that is a good anecdote about Edward VII and the tiara; I believe the lady in question did not have the opportunity to get her tiara out of the bank vault in time for the banquet, from what I had heard of that story. Those of us who are looking forward to see Kate in a tiara, whether it's the Scroll or another from the imposing royal collection, are still awaiting the event where she does. Naturally a dinner where she's hostess to a charity doesn't call for it, but we all like to at least visualize how a tiara would look when she's dressed suitably for an occasion. One can always imagine!
Old 10-30-2011, 09:32 PM
Administrator

Please note that posts regarding future tiara events for Kate have been moved to http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...s-31841-2.html .

Thanks!

Zonk

Old 10-31-2011, 08:38 PM
Majesty

I posted this in the fashion thread as well, but thought I'd share it on here too. Feel free to delete if necessary.

Catherine voted as 'Britain's Best Dressed'.

Queen of style: Duchess of Cambridge voted Britain's best dressed | Mail Online

Old 11-01-2011, 10:04 AM
Heir Apparent

Thanks for the article; it seems people are embracing the "lady-like" look that Kate embodies.
Old 11-01-2011, 01:29 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baroness of Books View Post
Thanks for the article; it seems people are embracing the "lady-like" look that Kate embodies.
That's good to see. The disheveled/exposed look has been getting old for quite a while.

Old 11-01-2011, 03:12 PM
Serene Highness

You hit the nail on the head Daria. Long overdue for it to go the way of the Dodo and so happy that Kate is bringing back lady like looks again.
Old 11-01-2011, 06:21 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggersk8 View Post
You hit the nail on the head Daria. Long overdue for it to go the way of the Dodo and so happy that Kate is bringing back lady like looks again.
Aye, aye. Hoping the trend continues.

Closed Thread