The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-01-2005, 12:18 PM

The surname is Mountbatten-Windsor as of 1960. The House name remains as Windsor. But Charles should have a new start. Charles III of the House of Mountbatten - I like it. But I think they should never have changed it in the first place.

Old 12-01-2005, 12:22 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan
But I think they should never have changed it in the first place.
hmmm...id never really thought about that. the name change is usually considered a beautiful act of solidarity with the british people. you dont agree?

Old 12-01-2005, 12:29 PM

Not at all. It was as if George V was obliterating the history of the Empire. A House Name change now wouldn't be so bad. It's not been that long since the last. But it was as if the Royal Family were denying their roots and I didn't like that. It was pandering to the public and there was an air of "we better do as we're told" about it. Besides which, everyone knows what the real house name is anyway. I thought it was a terrible thing to do and George V (who I'm not a fan of) shouldn't have even considered it. I hope Charles will do the opposite and end the disaster that is the House of Windsor.
Old 12-01-2005, 12:36 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Not at all. It was as if George V was obliterating the history of the Empire. A House Name change now wouldn't be so bad. It's not been that long since the last. But it was as if the Royal Family were denying their roots and I didn't like that. It was pandering to the public and there was an air of "we better do as we're told" about it. Besides which, everyone knows what the real house name is anyway. I thought it was a terrible thing to do and George V (who I'm not a fan of) shouldn't have even considered it. I hope Charles will do the opposite and end the disaster that is the House of Windsor.
well I think there is something to the idea that something so quintessentially british as the royal family oughtn't have a name like "Saxe-Coburg-Gothe."
Old 12-01-2005, 12:52 PM
Royal Highness

He won't. It will stay the House of Windsor.
Old 12-01-2005, 12:55 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Marmalade
He won't. It will stay the House of Windsor.
I dont think beatrixfan was suggesting that charles would even consider making such a change. he was merely dreaming about what his beloved saxe-coburg-gothes would do in a perfect world.
Old 12-01-2005, 01:22 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren
That's a very "female" point of view Ysbel!
Well since I'm a female, I plead guilty!

I think its funny that while the press just exaggerates everything about Charles, Diana, and Camilla, their relationships had normal problems like most people.

The number one complaint of single women around me is a steady boyfriend who's scared of the altar.
Old 12-01-2005, 02:54 PM
Heir Apparent

OH, CAM ON..
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/tm_obje...name_page.html
Old 12-01-2005, 02:59 PM
Imperial Majesty

Sara, do you have anything other than a headline in that link? It isn't really all that useful an article as it stands; if you could find a link to the actual article rather than just the headline, it'd be helpful.
Old 12-01-2005, 03:13 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth
Sara, do you have anything other than a headline in that link? It isn't really all that useful an article as it stands; if you could find a link to the actual article rather than just the headline, it'd be helpful.
i will try find dont worry about that but warren send me private e-mail about that i told him i would find that one!
Old 12-01-2005, 03:13 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
A name change would be nice, reverting back to their roots!:)
Old 12-01-2005, 04:16 PM
Heir Presumptive

A name changes shows weakness and the ability not to deal and move on. I love the name Windsor, it is so Majestic and British. Mountbatten comes from a german name. The Windsors have its up and downs and it shouldnt be changed just because it had some downs. I agree that is was the right thing to do to change the name from Prince Alberts to Windsor. It made the family seem less german and much more british. I like the pic for Christmas. Very nice and royal. Perfect pic for the first year.
Old 12-01-2005, 04:17 PM
Heir Presumptive

It's possible Charles III could propose the House of Mountbatten-Windsor to the Government, but I tend to think it will remain the House of Windsor. Mountbatten means even less than Windsor does in terms of a royal house name. At least Windsor is a place.
Old 12-01-2005, 04:20 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princejonnhy25
A name changes shows weakness and the ability not to deal and move on. I love the name Windsor, it is so Majestic and British. Mountbatten comes from a german name. The Windsors have its up and downs and it shouldnt be changed just because it had some downs. I agree that is was the right thing to do to change the name from Prince Alberts to Windsor. It made the family seem less german and much more british. I like the pic for Christmas. Very nice and royal. Perfect pic for the first year.
Well, the family is mostly German anyway, whether you call them Battenbergs, Witten, Coburg, Hanover, etc;, they make up the majority of the royal bloodline since 1714.
Old 12-01-2005, 04:20 PM
Heir Presumptive

the christmas' card this year will ba one from the wedding not a new photo.
is good, with diana was the same (a weding photo) is very nice, was the most important event of year, will be a nice christmas card, all the royal counple the first christmas have a wedding's photo in the card.
Today the world has embraced new royal Princesses in the form of Mary of Denmark and Maxima of the Netherlands. But it's questionable whether even these hugely popular, increasingly glamorous future Queens will ever capture the world's imagination in the same way as Diana.
As Mario acknowledges: "She really was a true Princess".
-www.theroyalist.net-
Old 12-01-2005, 04:40 PM
Heir Presumptive

OMG, is corazon beging to warm to the new royal couple. Scandle, Scandle, Scandle. Sorry had to do it. :)
Old 12-01-2005, 04:43 PM
Heir Presumptive

I not understand.
Today the world has embraced new royal Princesses in the form of Mary of Denmark and Maxima of the Netherlands. But it's questionable whether even these hugely popular, increasingly glamorous future Queens will ever capture the world's imagination in the same way as Diana.
-www.theroyalist.net-
Old 12-01-2005, 04:46 PM
Heir Presumptive

You said something nice about Chaz and Milla. You complimented them. I was only joking that you are beging to like them. Just a joke.
Old 12-01-2005, 04:51 PM
Heir Presumptive

is the true, all the royal couples in the first christmas have a weddings photo in the christmas's card.
-www.theroyalist.net-
Old 12-01-2005, 04:54 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by corazon
is the true, all the royal couples in the first christmas have a weddings photo in the christmas's card.
and a lovely tradition it is...

Tags
camilla, duchess of cornwall, prince charles, prince of wales