The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-29-2005, 10:23 PM
Administrator

As time goes by we will become very comfortable and familiar with the title "Duchess of Cornwall". She may not use the Princess of Wales title, but Cornwall makes her unique.

Old 11-29-2005, 10:32 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren
As time goes by we will become very comfortable and familiar with the title "Duchess of Cornwall". She may not use the Princess of Wales title, but Cornwall makes her unique.
Well since the last famous Duchess of Cornwall was Ygraine, mother of King Arthur, you may have a point there, Warren. :)

Old 11-29-2005, 10:56 PM
Courtier

Quote:
I totally agree!

"MII"
Old 11-29-2005, 11:39 PM
Heir Presumptive

It would be unacceptable to a great many people if Camilla was styled Princess of Wales. Although Diana was no longer The Princess of Wales when she died, it was only a year after the divorce and she was the mother of a future king.

In any case, the Wales title must be granted by the Sovereign, in contrast, Charles became Duke of Cornwall automatically in 1952, so it certainly is very honorable for Camilla to be styled as such as the wife of the heir. She automatically became a Princess with the rank of Royal Highness upon marriage anyway.
Old 11-30-2005, 12:18 AM
Courtier

Don't know if anyone caught it by every year Barabra Walters comes out with a list of the most interesting people of the year. Number 1 this year was Camilla, nothing new in the story they just rehashed the history. I thought people on the west coast might be interested.
Old 11-30-2005, 12:34 AM
Heir Apparent

Royal couple present Iraq medals

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/wales/4482092.stm
Old 11-30-2005, 02:41 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbel
Well since the last famous Duchess of Cornwall was Ygraine, mother of King Arthur, you may have a point there, Warren. :)
Didn't King George V and Queen Mary go by the title of "Duke and Duchess of Cornwall and York" before they formally became Prince and Princess of Wales?
Old 11-30-2005, 03:08 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bweir
Didn't King George V and Queen Mary go by the title of "Duke and Duchess of Cornwall and York" before they formally became Prince and Princess of Wales?
I think so, but it didn't become their "signature" if you know what I mean. In any case it was generally shortened to "of York". We will know Camilla as Duchess of Cornwall at least until the end of the current reign.
Old 11-30-2005, 04:17 AM
Heir Apparent

I wouldn't mind Camilla being called Princess of Wales (though I am not a brit so my opinion hardly counts). But the title of The Duchess of Cornwall suits her and, yes, makes her unique.
Queen Elizabeth: "I cannot lead you into battle, I do not give you laws or administer justice but I can do something else, I can give you my heart and my devotion to these old islands and to all the peoples of our brotherhood of nations." God, Save The Queen!
Old 11-30-2005, 07:06 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon
I wouldn't mind Camilla being called Princess of Wales (though I am not a brit so my opinion hardly counts). But the title of The Duchess of Cornwall suits her and, yes, makes her unique.
A lot of Brits have no problem with her being called Princess of Wales, it seems to be women (on the whole) from a couple of other countries that have the major problem.
We have friends in Norway, Denmark and Iceland who can't see why Camilla is not called by her rightful title.
The difference for the Brits seems to be that to many, Prince Charles is one of our Royal Family, Diana only became a Royal because she married the Prince.:)
Old 11-30-2005, 07:23 AM
Heir Presumptive

The Duchess of Cornwall took significant step towards carving out a role for herself in royal circles when she presented medals to British servicemen for the first time. Camilla joined Prince Charles as he gave out Iraq tour medals to soldiers of the Royal Regiment of Wales......
http://www.hellomagazine.com/royalty...chesscornwall/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	camilla-dop1a.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	26.2 KB
ID:	217852   Click image for larger version

Name:	camilla-dop2a.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	23.7 KB
ID:	217853  
Old 11-30-2005, 10:39 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by branchg
In any case, the Wales title must be granted by the Sovereign, in contrast, Charles became Duke of Cornwall automatically in 1952, so it certainly is very honorable for Camilla to be styled as such as the wife of the heir. She automatically became a Princess with the rank of Royal Highness upon marriage anyway.
The title was used by Diana when she married Charles, it was never granted to her in her own right.
Old 11-30-2005, 10:56 AM
Administrator

I think I can safely say that we all agree that legally Camilla is Princess of Wales. It has been decided, because of public sensitivities, that she be called The Duchess of Cornwall.

This has been repeated and rehashed so many times that I can't see the need to revisit this particular subject yet again.

thanks,
Warren
British Forums Moderator
Old 11-30-2005, 01:01 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
I think I can safely say that we all agree that legally Camilla is Princess of Wales. It has been decided, because of public sensitivities, that she be called The Duchess of Cornwall.

This has been repeated and rehashed so many times that I can't see the need to revisit this particular subject yet again.

thanks,
Warren
British Forums Moderator
Thank you Warren!!!! :)
Old 11-30-2005, 02:27 PM
Serene Highness

This thread has reached 10 pages and will be closed.

You can find a new thread here:
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...-6-a-8072.html

Tags
camilla, duchess of cornwall, prince charles, prince of wales