Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall Current Events 7: October-November 2005

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
sara1981 said:
Camilla Parker Bowles's Daughter Engaged

It's the Duchess of Cornwall now:)

Warren said:
The Delhi Durbar tiara was loaned to Camilla by Queen Elizabeth. I guess that answers your question.

My guess would be that the Queen probably had picked a number of tiaras for Camilla to choose among, and there was probably some debate about the historical significance of each and which would be most appropriate for Camilla, given her status, age and hairstyle.

Does anyone really know how the Queen (or any queens) decides which family members wear which tiaras (apart from the ones which have been designated as those to be worn only by queens)?

Re:

What are Camilla and Charles up to now? They set off to come home today didn't they?

BeatrixFan, if they left California some time today, they probably won't be home till early tomorrow. Between the flight time and the time difference, it's a long haul.

I think they are launched back into engagements fairly quickly aren't they? I'm going to the Cenotaph on Sunday and I'm pretty sure they'll both be present for that. It'll seem strange to me to see Camilla up on the balcony. I've been every year for the past 5 years and a new face will seem strange!

Well, they'll be carrying out engagements before Sunday, I assume. I mean, with a state visit going on, surely they'll be involved.

I see that after C&C's U.S. tour, we're in lack of a good C&C event to talk about. They better start some new engagements pretty soon to give us some events to talk about. :D

I don't think it's that Ysbel. I think most people would like to just focus on the good but there are those who can't resist turning every thread into a pro-Diana rally. And instead of ignoring it like we probably should, we rise to it.

{deleted}* What are Charles and Camilla up to next?

*Deleted response to post that was removed - Elspeth.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are they doing anything related to this Chinese state visit? They must be back in the UK today if they left California yesterday.

BeatrixFan said:
Yes. Sorry Elspeth. What are Charles and Camilla up to next?
The next engagements for TRH will be at the Royal British Legion Festival of Remembrance at the Royal Albert Hall on Saturday 12th November and with Prince William on the Remembrance Sunday at the Cenotaph.

Elspeth said:
Are they doing anything related to this Chinese state visit? They must be back in the UK today if they left California yesterday.

Hello magazine says they will be taking a (well-deserved) breather for a few days. duties commence the 12th. so we probably won't see them in connection with the Chinese visit. :(

Their attendance at the Norwegian state visit wasn't announced till late. They may still show up for some of these events.

Warren said:
There are those who will always seek out "evidence" to support their own viewpoints, prejudices and particular take on things. I guess public figures are well aware of this, and just trust that those who don't hold emotional vested interests will actually listen to what they have to say in a more open-minded manner.

For example, Charles may say during the interview that he was shocked at Diana's death. Some people will respond with "Liar!", "Hypocrite!", "Adulterer!" and others will go "how sad." Take your pick. The other question about this is that if some choose not to believe a word he says, why bother watching in the first place? What's the point?

This endless fretting and feigned outrage every step of the way, from engagement, wedding, tiara-wearing etc etc, all wrapped up in the moralistic and doom-laden prediction that any or all spell the demise of the House of Windsor, is not only tedious, but with the increasing acceptance of Camilla (with bells on this week!), becomes masochistic. Like it or not, time to move on, I say. Looking back, or looking forward: it's a choice.

The local media where I live (Tampa, Florida) has been pretty nasty since the Royal couple tour started-nasty towards Camilla's looks but otherwise they say overall they seem a happy couple, and even called Charles 'Prince Charming' in one article. We get the Tampa Tribune, and St. Petersburg press here. Some have mentioned 'carefully orchestrated' crowds whatever that means. But judging for myself the greetings seem sincere. Also the not so welcome greetings-there have been some protesters with signs like 'Camilla your no Princess'. CNN as usual interviewed the man/woman on the street and they too have made nasty comments-or said they didn't care about the Royal visit. This harks back to CNN's coverage (I think it was CNN) of C & C's wedding. One old Cornwallian called Camilla a nasty word, and it seemed CNN was determined to recreate the negative aspects. I'm willing to bet (to be fair to C & C) that there were alot of nice comments about them-but CNN chose not to show it. Anyway that was the news that was on the Royal Tour from the Tampa Bay aspect.

I hope Their Royal Highnesses the Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall are enjoying their really well deserved break for a few days.

I think it's quite impressive of them to return to their duties in England already on the 12th, considering the long and far away trip they have just returned from - having had such a tight schedule, plus adding all the pressure, expectations and media entourage they had to live with for so many days in a row.

Queen Mary I said:
I live in Florida and I don't know if the 'Daily Express' is a reliable source. Please educate me! Has anyone heard any more on this?

The article is claiming that an MP called for debate on November 7 I believe regarding Camilla's title-or future title as Queen.

The Daily Express isn't one of the papers generally considered all that reliable; it isn't quite as muck-raking as the Sun, but that isn't saying much. If one MP is calling for a debate, that probably doesn't mean much. Lone MP call for debates on all sort of things and they usually don't happen.

Re:

Thanks! Only my second go at making a video but in all modesty, I thought it wasn't too bad. ;)

Elspeth said:
The Daily Express isn't one of the papers generally considered all that reliable; it isn't quite as muck-raking as the Sun, but that isn't saying much. If one MP is calling for a debate, that probably doesn't mean much. Lone MP call for debates on all sort of things and they usually don't happen.

Thank you for the explanation! I am not really sure what an 'MP' is either (I'm American) but as he works in Parliament it seemed important.

I looked up his site but there is no mention of it, at least not yet-the lastest news mentioned on the site is up the 7th of November:

http://www.andrewmackinlay.co.uk/

MP is a member of parliament, sort of equivalent to a US congressman.

Lots of engagements for the royal pair coming up after a drought this summer.

Some gala events with the Princes Trusts on Nov. 23 and Dec. 16. Maybe we'll see another tiara on Camilla?

Sunday, 13th November
  • The Prince of Wales, The Duchess of Cornwall and Prince William will attend the Remembrance Service at the Cenotaph, Whitehall, London.
Wednesday, 16th November
  • The Duchess of Cornwall will tour the newly refurbished club and meet members of the Soroptimists Club in Bayswater, London.
Thursday, 17th November
  • The Duchess of Cornwall, President of the National Osteoporosis Society, will turn on the Christmas lights at the Burlington Arcade, London.
  • The Prince of Wales, Patron, The Academy of Culinary Arts, will meet recipients of the Master of Culinary Arts awards, Clarence House, London.
Friday, 18th November
  • The Prince of Wales, Colonel in Chief The King’s Regiment and The 22nd Cheshire Regiment will attend a parade and present medals to TA soldiers from The King’s and Cheshire Regiment, Warrington Town Hall, Warrington, Liverpool.
  • The Duchess of Cornwall, President of the National Osteoporosis Society, will visit the Bone Densitometry Unit and open the new Department of Clinical Biochemistry Automated Laboratory at the Royal Liverpool University Hospital, Prescot Street, Liverpool.
  • The Prince of Wales, President, The Prince’s Trust, accompanied by The Duchess of Cornwall, will visit Liverpool Football Club to celebrate 10,000 young people having been helped by The Prince’s Trust Football Initiative, Liverpool Football Club, Anfield Road, Liverpool.
Monday, 21st November
  • The Prince of Wales will visit The University of Oxford's Zoology Department to speak to University Students and staff and to see and give recognition to biomimetic research and development work being undertaken there, Oxford.
  • The Prince of Wales will visit Trinity College and St John's College to celebrate The Colleges' 450th Anniversaries, Oxford.
Tuesday, 22nd November
  • The Prince of Wales will officially open the new Cirencester Livestock Market, Cirencester, Gloucestershire.
  • The Duchess of Cornwall will meet staff, volunteers and children at Springboard Opportunity Playgroup, Chippenham, Wiltshire.
  • The Duchess of Cornwall, Patron, Wiltshire Bobby Van Trust, will visit Chippenham Police Station to meet Bobby Van staff and some of those who have been helped by the Trust, Chippenham, Wiltshire.
  • The Duchess of Cornwall, Patron, Youth Action Wiltshire, will visit Atworth Youth Club where she will meet youth leaders, young carers and club members, Atworth, Wiltshire.
Wednesday, 23rd November
  • The Prince of Wales, President of The Prince's Trust, and The Duchess of Cornwall will attend a Gala Evening to celebrate the work of The Prince's Trust at the Banqueting House, Whitehall, London.
Wednesday, 7th December
  • The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall attend the World Premiere of The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe in aid of the Cinema and Television Benevolent Fund, The Royal Albert Hall, London.
Friday, 16th December
  • The Prince of Wales, President of The Prince’s Trust and The Duchess of Cornwall will attend a Royal Gala Performance of Madam Butterfly by the English National Opera at The Coliseum, London.

Since this thread turned into yet another discussion of the Charles/Camilla/Diana eternal triangle and speculation about Camilla's title and Diana's feelings and Charles's worthiness (or lack thereof) to be King, I've split out the digressions and merged them into the "Will Charles Ever Reign" thread. I hope this doesn't confuse that thread too much, since the new posts will go in there in chronological order, but I'm getting really tired of seeing the Charles-Camilla current events threads being turned into emotional sessions about their marital situation.

Please note that, since splitting and merging is a bloody pain, I'm reserving the right to just delete off-topic posts in future. Attempts to derail these current-events threads again will be noted, and people are going to start receiving warnings and eventually suspensions. This stuff simply isn't fair to the members who want to read about the thread topic, only to find it's been buried by off-topic digressions that belong in other threads.

Elspeth

British forums moderator

Last edited:
Elspeth said:
MP is a member of parliament, sort of equivalent to a US congressman.

Thank you for the explanation! I'm learning slowly but surely. :)

Queen Mary I said:
IPrinces Private Diary

http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30100-13461653,00.html

Has anyone heard anymore on this?

I agree with Prince Charles when he says in his PRIVATE journal, when talking about political advisors, 'that none of whom will ever have experienced what it is they are talking about'.

I hope that Clarence House follows through with it's threat to pursue and prosecute the person who stole the journal and sold it to this disgusting rag, called the mail. They knew it was illegally obtained! Gutter press indeed.:eek:

The Royal Family has released private diaries and letters after the person died but they don't do it very often. I wish they would do more and not wait so long after the person is dead.

Still to publish a diary while the person is alive is the epitome of crass. At least they waited till Diana was dead before they published her personal conversations.

I imagine the royals of all houses must be quite paranoid now. Whatever Charles wrote, it can't be any worse than Prince Philip's 'slitty eyes' comment when he was in China.

Last edited:
But the Mail on Sunday is impressed, "poignant, insighful and witty" not to mention "hughely entertaining" are the comments on this report. It also seems to have convinced the editor that he will make a fine King. Apparently HRH handwrites a detailed account of his trips abroad and a few photocopies are made and distributed to friends etc. so this is not a private diary in the usual sense and will eventually be published according to Clarence House.
Other gossip from the Mail is that the Duchess has been invited to spend Christmas Day at Sandringham with the rest of the family. My own news from watching the Remembrance Day ceremony is that she was wearing a lovely diamond brooch which I haven't seen before.

My first post, hope it's OK.

The Duchess doesnt need to be invited to Sandringham for Christmas. The whole royal family always spends the holidays together at either Sandrigham or Balmoral. Since the Duchess is family she is coming no matter what. It is like a small family reunion. No invite needed just some sort of relations. They are still private journals in that they are not ment to be released to the public. His journals are highly political and personal and are not ment to be made public. The Prince is to remain above politics in the public and this journal does not help that. Is the duchess wearing the same hat that she wore in the US. It is a lovely hat but hopefully she took out that corkskrew sticking out from it.

rianmelt said:
Apparently HRH handwrites a detailed account of his trips abroad and a few photocopies are made and distributed to friends etc. so this is not a private diary in the usual sense and will eventually be published according to Clarence House.

I still hope that the person responsible is hunted down as Clarence House has (according to Sky News) threatened. Prince Charles as you say arranges for copies to be distributed to friends and it would appear from the noises coming from Clarence House, that this was not an authorised copy.

Whether they will eventually be published or not, should be up to the Prince and not a nasty low life employee and a trouble making, money grabbing tabloid like the mail!

Well, I guess the Daily Mail has decided protocol has changed and Camilla needs a formal invitation to join the rest of the family at Sandringham for Christmas. She is HRH the Duchess of Cornwall and doesn't need an invitation to join her husband for family occasions.

It is just a way for the Mail to creat more drama and crazy stories. Isnt the world tired of the soap opera the british press creat of the royal family. For the first time since before the Charles and Diana marriage, the royal family is at peace. No one is fighting or denouncing the Queen and splashing their lives and miserys on the television. The royal family is doing its work in peace and mainting a low key profile. They are doing the work fantastically and life is back to the peacefull royal life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom