The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-22-2005, 02:44 PM
Heir Apparent

A ROYAL BANQUET DEBUT
http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0...452576,00.html

Old 10-22-2005, 03:04 PM

Re:

They're a little slow with that story! We've been speculating since the visit was announced!

Old 10-22-2005, 04:59 PM
Heir Presumptive

That is one of my favorite pics of Camilla in that article. The pearls and flowers really complement her. They are a bit slow and we only have four days till the banquet.
Old 10-22-2005, 06:38 PM
Commoner

That was a great picture; the flowers were lovely, and it's nice to see Camilla looking relaxed and happy. She seems to be enjoying herself and doing her job very well. Her clothes always look nice and age appropriate. And it's lovely to see that Charles and she are happy together. I hope that we see lots of pictures during their visit here. Camilla always seems to be sympathique and cheerful, two qualities which seem indispensible to royals. She's certainly cheered Charles up! He's not so glum and irritable these days.
Old 10-22-2005, 08:10 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

I wonder why Haakon and Mette-Marit went to the wedding. Few outside their close circle went. Are the couples friends? Its hard to imagine with the age difference.
Old 10-22-2005, 08:18 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbel
I wonder why Haakon and Mette-Marit went to the wedding. Few outside their close circle went. Are the couples friends? Its hard to imagine with the age difference.
The NRF and the BRF have always been close since Princess Maude, the daughter of King EdwardVII, became Queen of Norway in 1905.

Perhaps the King and Queen of Norway could not attend and the young royals were sent as family reps. l
Old 10-22-2005, 08:48 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by caroline mathilda
The NRF and the BRF have always been close since Princess Maude, the daughter of King EdwardVII, became Queen of Norway in 1905.

Perhaps the King and Queen of Norway could not attend and the young royals were sent as family reps. l
Maybe. And yes the NRF and the BRF have always been close. King Haakon VII was uncle Charles for the BRF and he is one of Prince Charles godparents. King Olav V was a very good friend with his cousins wife The Queen Mother. Queen Sonja and Queen Elizabeth II is said to be very close and The Crown Prince and Princess is friends with the Earl and Countess of Wessex.
Old 10-22-2005, 09:48 PM
Courtier

Quote:

The invitations to Charles and Camilla's wedding were to specific individuals not to the royal house. So Haakon and Mette-Marit were specifically invited not the King and Queen. Other invitations also went out to specific royals. Haakon and Mette-Marit not so long ago spent a year living in London so maybe they got to know Charles quite well during that time. Dutch prince Constantijn and princess Laurentien were also specifically invited and they too lived in London for quite a while.

King Olav was quite close to the British royals, he spent part of his childhood playing with his British royal cousins. ( Olav was born in Britain) He was good friends with the Queen Mother. I don't think that Harald and Sonja are particularly close to the current BRF.
Old 10-22-2005, 10:35 PM
Royal Highness

Our Chicago Tribune had an article today mentioning the 200th anniversary of the Battle of Trafalger and also mentioned the state visit by the Norwegian Royal Family this coming. It also mentioned this would be the first time Camilla will be wearing a tiara.

I know it sounds like not a big deal, but it helps to solidify again her being a part of the Royal Family.
Old 10-22-2005, 11:09 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte1
The invitations to Charles and Camilla's wedding were to specific individuals not to the royal house. So Haakon and Mette-Marit were specifically invited not the King and Queen. Other invitations also went out to specific royals. Haakon and Mette-Marit not so long ago spent a year living in London so maybe they got to know Charles quite well during that time. Dutch prince Constantijn and princess Laurentien were also specifically invited and they too lived in London for quite a while.

King Olav was quite close to the British royals, he spent part of his childhood playing with his British royal cousins. ( Olav was born in Britain) He was good friends with the Queen Mother. I don't think that Harald and Sonja are particularly close to the current BRF.
Thanks for the info. That's what I was getting at. Charles and Camilla tended to invite personal friends to their wedding which is why I was surprised they invited Haakon and Mette-Marit.
Old 10-23-2005, 09:49 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte1
I don't think that Harald and Sonja are particularly close to the current BRF.
Actually, Her Majesty The Queen and Queen Sonja are quite good friends and speak on the telephone often.
Old 10-23-2005, 10:14 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiaraprin
Actually, Her Majesty The Queen and Queen Sonja are quite good friends and speak on the telephone often.
Yes, I was surprised no one had anything to say about that comment until now.
It has been discussed in another thread that EIIR and Queen Sonja enjoy a very close relationship.

Which Royals are good friends, page 4, post #27 (& others)
www.theroyalforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2499&page=4&pp=20
Old 10-23-2005, 10:40 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiaraprin
I would question this. What exactly is your source for this information? If it's the book by Tim Graham that's not a reliable source as he's a royal photographer not someone with inside knowledge. It would be hard for QE2 to have any strong friendships amongst the European royals as she rarely sees them, QE2 doesn't attend any funerals ( except Badouin's) weddings, christenings, anniversary parties related to European royals,(Philip's always gone and now one of her children go) nor does she holiday with them. Even when Philip's sisters were alive Elizabeth rarely went to visit them, (Philip often did) his sisters did come to the UK and Elizabeth spent time with them. QE2 has cordial relationships with all the various royals brought about by official visits and the 2 Greek weddings she did attend in London. She also hosts various royals during the time they are in the UK (eg lunch before Charles' wedding blessing) but to say that she's good friends with any of them would be stretching it.
Old 10-23-2005, 10:48 AM
Heir Presumptive

They dont have to see each other to be close friends. They probably talk on the phone a lot. I think most of Europes Royal Familys talk on the phone and keep in touch. Remember, not all visits are open to the public. There are many private visits that we dont know about.
Old 10-23-2005, 10:49 AM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

OK, but even if the Queen and Sonja are close that doesn't mean that Charles and Haakon are close. I guess what I'm saying is that Charles doesn't usually socialize a lot with people a lot younger than him.

Not to start another Diana discussion, but the age difference and Charles' preference for people of his own age was one reason the two didn't click.

But Haakon and Mette-Marit are even younger than Diana so I don't see the connection.
Old 10-23-2005, 10:55 AM

Re:

I remember seeing an event where there were alot of Heads of State together - can't remember exactly what it was, but the Queen was in a pale blue and Queen Beatrix in a bright orange creation. The Queen seemed very cold towards her and almost ignored her at times. But I've seen them at other times together and the Queen doesn't appear so off-hand with Beatrix.

Then again, when do we see Elizabeth with the extended family? She never goes abroad for weddings or funerals
Old 10-23-2005, 11:20 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbel
I guess what I'm saying is that Charles doesn't usually socialize a lot with people a lot younger than him.
The Prince of Wales is said to be very close with Lady Sarah Chatto his cousin, who is 16 years his junior. The pair have gone off on painting holidays in the past.
Old 10-23-2005, 11:26 AM
Heir Presumptive

Its not age that matters but the maturity level. Prince Charles and Crown Prince Hakoon have a lot in common in being heirs to a monarch with an unstable foundation, wifes who are considered scandolous, and so on and so on. They could be friends and we just dont know it. Or Camilla and Mette-Marit might be friends.
Old 10-23-2005, 11:35 AM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
The Prince of Wales is said to be very close with Lady Sarah Chatto his cousin, who is 16 years his junior. The pair have gone off on painting holidays in the past.
Thanks caroline mathilda, I didn't know that. I still don't see Charles getting too friendly with people a lot younger than him. Other men do so its definitely a personal preference. I'm not judging Charles maturity level but based on the other people he's friends with, a friendship with Haakon and Mette Marit seems out of character.
Old 10-23-2005, 12:48 PM

Re:

Has anyone got any pics without watermarks of the Duchess at the Nelson event at St Paul's today. I've seen a few (with watermarks) and there's a lovely one of her kissing Prince Michael of Kent - she looks very glamorous!

Tags
camilla, duchess of cornwall, prince charles, prince of wales