Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall Current Events 26: August 2010-December 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Beefing up the number of protection officers will do nothing to increase the protection of the royal couple if all the officers do what the 4 officers in the car immediately behind the prince's did the other week. They just sat inside the car & watched whilst the royal car got trashed & offered no help at all to the lone police-woman constable who was trying to protect the car from attack on the street! Its also no good the critics complaining that the couple shouldn't have allowed the car to be driven along Regent Steet. You can only access the London Palladium theatre from Clarence House by driving either up or down Regent Street.

Last edited by a moderator:
Could scrapping the Civil List spell more political power for Prince Charles? | Mail Online

Could the money decision actually allow Charles to be a more proactive King than his mother has been as Queen?

Thanks for the article. What I found interesting was that while the article stated the government will cap the amount of money the family will receive the article never stated what that cap would be.

I think that no amount of money or lack thereof is going to change Prince Charles' belief that he has the right to speak out on the issues he is concerned with. Parliament or the government could take action on the issue if they are bothered by it but I would be shocked if they did. I think they would prefer he just ruined himself.

The amount of money the royal family could be receiving in a time of financial crisis in England is concerning though. They don't want to be seen as living high when a lot of people in England are suffering in the money area.

On a side note the protesting students threw things at the royal car because of the royals well living a royal lifestyle. Yet due to their actions security has no been increased which I imagine is now costing the taxpayers more money. They would be better served by solving their issues in a more political manner.

Currently the royal family gets about 39 million pounds a year but has to spend it in certain ways. All this will do is allow the monarch to determine how much to spend on what things.

Charles is fully aware of the restrictions on the monarch and the need for the monarch to be above politics. No such restriction has ever applied to the heir to the throne and past heirs have been active politically e.g. Edward VII.

Fully agree with you.

Charles is no fool, and is acutely aware of the restrictions that will be imposed on him once he is the monarch. Since there is no real job description for the PoW, he has himself defined his role, and most people feel that he has done it well. No doubt he creates a degree of controversy every now and then, but he is quite effective in drawing attention to the causes he champions.

Very nice of HM and HRH to send those messages.

I'm just over the border and though some folk further west on the Richmond River have had some short-term flooding, on the coast we've just been rather damp for a while and have absolutely nothing to complain about. What's happening further north, particularly around Rockhampton, must be shattering for the families concerned. It's going on for so long, and I wonder how long it will take for things to get back to near normal for them. And it's having serious widespread and long-term consequences for not only individuals but businesses, and looks like affecting the health of the Reef.

I wonder what people in the affected areas think of HRH's message.

It must be a slow news day for Charles and Camilla or maybe Hello is just trying to take a break from the Wiliam and Kate news:

Prince Charles and Camilla's attitude to hit series Dancing on Ice is far from frosty.

The royal couple recently shared their enthusiasm for the show with contestant Johnson Beharry when he was invited to Buckingham Palace.

Charles and Camilla*reveal*passion&nbs | Latest celebrity news hellomagazine.com

:previous: Possibly both reasons, but the article does give the impression Charles went out of his way to make that brave man feel good, and I think that's nice. It's little things like that that can make a big difference to someone's life, and I wouldn't be surprised if both Charles and Camilla do watch.

BBC News - Royal car attack: Lessons learned, says Theresa May

Royal car attack: Lessons learned, says Theresa May

Camilla and Charles found themselves in the middle of the protest

"Important lessons have been learned" after the Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall were caught up in the fees protests, the home secretary has said.
Police should look beyond the available intelligence and take a broader view of potential threats, Theresa May said.
Their car was attacked by protesters and "contact" was made with the duchess in London's West End on 9 December.
Protection had to continue to take into account the Royal Family's desire to be seen by the public, the report said.
"The most significant area of learning from the incident is the need to look beyond the available intelligence to take a broader view of threats that can reasonably be anticipated in the circumstances, and to adapt plans accordingly," Mrs May said.
While "important lessons have been learned from this shocking incident" she said the findings must be seen in the context of the provision of protection for the Royal Family that has an "enviable record over many years".
She added: "Such protection always has to take into account the Royal Family's desire to be seen by and to be close to the public."

That is one of the major issues - a royal family that can't go out and be seen is a royal family on the way out.

Its the same all the way around with any high profile figure. Obama's limo I believe is called the "Tank" and we have the Pope in the "Popemobile". For the BRF going out in anything less than secure is like sending an army into war with paper swords and shields, its just pure dangerous. The safety from bodily harm should always be a top priority over being seen by the public. I'm really surprised that the BRF doesn't have better higher security vehicles.

Its the same all the way around with any high profile figure. Obama's limo I believe is called the "Tank" and we have the Pope in the "Popemobile". For the BRF going out in anything less than secure is like sending an army into war with paper swords and shields, its just pure dangerous. The safety from bodily harm should always be a top priority over being seen by the public. I'm really surprised that the BRF doesn't have better higher security vehicles.

The British Royal Family go in open carriages through crowds of a million plus people. They walk through large crowds on walk-abouts. They see their security as being in the love and support of their people and so far it seems to be working but...I can forsee a time when the open carriages will be a thing of the past and bullet proof vehicles like the popemobile will be what is used.

The British Royal Family go in open carriages through crowds of a million plus people. They walk through large crowds on walk-abouts. They see their security as being in the love and support of their people and so far it seems to be working but...I can forsee a time when the open carriages will be a thing of the past and bullet proof vehicles like the popemobile will be what is used.

I don't think that time is too far off either. On the subject of the upcoming wedding, I think its best that Kate comes by car... and hopefully the car Charles has commissioned to be more secure. As the rumors I've heard of strikes and whatnot around the time of the wedding, perhaps even a more secure transport from the Abbey to BP would be a good idea.

Quite right. That is just how most heads of state (including US presidents) used to travel. Unfortunately, security concerns mean that increasingly this may not be suitable for most royal families.

Very good to see them out on a joint engagement again.

These days it would be regarded as racist abuse. As a teacher if a student was being subjected to those sorts of comments the student/s doing the name calling would be disciplined and counselled for bullying and harrasment and a teacher who didn't report it and was later found out not to have taken action would be sacked.

Times have changed.

They certainly have, but I have no doubt Charles had everybody in the room in splits with his un-PC comment!

The Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall have been in Northern Ireland
for an official one-day visit today, February 4, 2011. They visited the Mercian
Regiment 2nd Battalion at their base in Palace Barrack, a church and a library
visit have also been parts of the programme.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** daylife gallery ** belga 1 ** belga 2 **

** BBC news: Royal visit to St Malachy's Church is 'historic' **

** u.tv: Royal couple in NI visit ** PA: Duchess chats to children at school **

I can't even begin to imagine how scary that must of been for TRH's . Especially when someone right outside their car is yelling "Off with their heads!" IMO that kind of statement is just completely unacceptable, and I'm pretty sure that here in the US, if anyone yelled that at the President, they would be arrested on the spot by the secret service

Yes, but in the United States, the President actually is the elected head of government. His parents are not hereditary rulers, and they don't receive a stipend from the government.

And, in the U.S., very few political functionaries (except the presidents and, for a while, ex-presidents) receive that degree of security - I believe it's predicated on the fact that the Executive is, in fact, in charge of decision making at that moment, in the government.

We certainly do not attach security details to every person who might be viewed as "in power."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom