The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 04:07 PM
Heir Presumptive

Nicolas Sarkozy And Prince Charles Attend a Private Dinner, Nov 10 2008.
ANP
ANP
ANP
ANP
ANP
ANP

Gallery from Abaca
http://www.abacausa.com/ximagi/searc...nment_id=47510

Old 11-10-2008, 04:40 PM

I think that what's happened here is what used to happen with the Queen. Madame Sarkozy's gone for a lighter foundation than usual which with powder to set it has made her face very pale in the glare of the flashbulbs but in reality, she probably doesn't look so ghostly!
Old 11-10-2008, 06:45 PM
Serene Highness

And in bonus a little video :

Royaume-Uni : Le prince Charles et Camilla reçus à l'Elysée - Monde - LCI#

Apparently TRH visited the Louvre and Orsay museums this afternoon. I was precisely in this area of Paris but i didn't see them...One is sad
Old 11-11-2008, 05:28 AM
Heir Presumptive

REPORTAGE PHOTOS : Quand Nicolas et Carla reçoivent Charles et Camilla à l'Elysée... ça rigole ! Toutes les photos !
Old 11-11-2008, 06:02 AM
Heir Apparent

Its lovely to see pictures of Charles and Camilla with the Sarkozy's in Paris. Its also interesting to see the "warmth" between the couples, and would be interesting to see how Camilla develops on the interbational stage.
Old 11-11-2008, 08:43 AM
Imperial Majesty

PRINCE CHARLES was today risking a backlash after agreeing to attend a controversial First World War commemoration in France.
The Prince and Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall, were joining European Union dignitaries at Verdun, close to the German border, to mark the 90th anniversary of the Armistice.
But the location, chosen by French President Nicolas Sarkozy and the scene of one of the bloodiest actions in military history, has angered many, including British veterans and the German Chancellor Angela Merkel.

Prince Charles embroiled in row over Armistice ceremony at Verdun | News

As Henry Allingham & Bill Stone have said - Remember the dead from all sides, everyone lost sons and husbands!
Old 11-11-2008, 08:55 AM
Heir Presumptive

Location: Between the first and second floor of the Eiffel Tower, France
As always, there are complainers. I don't think they can imagine how difficult it is to organize such a ceremony, to convoke so many heads of state and to please everyone. It's impossible to find a place famous enough where British troops fought, Germany's dignity is preserved, etc.
I think it was a very good ceremony which didn't omit anyone and Verdun remains quite a symbol.

Please, help find a cure for ALS

Because it matters...
Old 11-11-2008, 09:04 AM
Serene Highness

Rubbish !

The ossuary of Douaumont is of course the symbol of ALL the soldiers killed during this bloody conflict.
Mrs Merkel was unable to attend due to an engagement in Poland.

Apparently all is good to attack the POW at the eve of his birthday....Sad and childish.
Old 11-11-2008, 09:10 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
PRINCE CHARLES was today risking a backlash after agreeing to attend a controversial First World War commemoration in France.
The Prince and Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall, were joining European Union dignitaries at Verdun, close to the German border, to mark the 90th anniversary of the Armistice.
But the location, chosen by French President Nicolas Sarkozy and the scene of one of the bloodiest actions in military history, has angered many, including British veterans and the German Chancellor Angela Merkel.

Prince Charles embroiled in row over Armistice ceremony at Verdun | News

As Henry Allingham & Bill Stone have said - Remember the dead from all sides, everyone lost sons and husbands!
I haven't read anything about Mrs. Merkel's pulling out in the German media, so I guess it was over-emphasized by the reporters. Her replacement, Peter Müller is not only at the moment heading the German Bundesrat (which is the political representation of the Federal States as bodies of the Federal republic) but as soon as he is representing the Federal Republic of Germany in a foreign state he is higher ranked than the Chancellor, so he in fact is acting as our Head of State which Angela Merkel can't . So in sending him, Merkel was upgrading the event!

I personally think Verdun is a very fitting place to conmemorate all those killed soldiers in war which don't even have the "honour" of helping their own side. Those who were killed there were killed to no militarian aim at all. Poor souls, may the rest in peace.
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 11-11-2008, 09:14 AM
Heir Presumptive

Location: Between the first and second floor of the Eiffel Tower, France
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo of Palatine View Post
I personally think Verdun is a very fitting place to conmemorate all those killed soldiers in war which don't even have the "honour" of helping their own side. Those who were killed there were killed to no militarian aim at all. Poor souls, may the rest in peace.
I completely concur; it's so stupid to fight over a ceremony who is, in the first place, a peace ceremony. Some apparently don't get the point or if they do, they should start reading more History books rather than tabloids.

Please, help find a cure for ALS

Because it matters...
Old 11-11-2008, 09:20 AM
Heir Presumptive

Prince Charles and his wife Camilla, the Duchess of Cornwall, attend the ceremony marking the 90th anniversary of World War One Armistice at the ossuary of Douaumont, on Novembre 11, 2008 in Douaumont, near Verdun, eastern France.
Belga
Belga
Belga
Getty
Getty
Getty

Getty
Old 11-11-2008, 09:21 AM
Heir Apparent

Heaven help us all if some of the leaders of European governments get this bent out of shape about an Armistance Day memorial . . . 90 years after the event!

They would do well to take a leaf out of Mustafa Attaturk's book and aim for rapprochement, namely the ANZAC Memorial, Gallipoli, Turkey.

"The monument: A part of Turkey set aside as sacred ground to honor an army that invaded it in 1915. This monument is the result of a sublime act of magnanimity on the part of a victorious power and the fierce dedication to memory of the defeated power".
Old 11-11-2008, 09:36 AM

Having been to the Fort and the Ossuary in Verdun, I can honestly say that I can't think of a more fitting place for a memorial service.

On a brighter note, it was nice to see Grand Duke Henri with the party.

P.S - The Grand Duchess was there too. There is one pic of Camilla chatting to Maria and Henri;

http://img378.imageshack.us/my.php?i...3643242zi7.jpg

courtesy of AFP
Old 11-11-2008, 09:44 AM
Heir Apparent

Nice to see HE the Governor General of the Australia there, too!

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 11-11-2008, 10:02 AM
Heir Presumptive

Governor-General of Australia Lady Quentyn Brice, Prime Minister of France Francois Fillon, wife of French President Nicolas Sarkozy Carla-Bruni Sarkozy, Prince Charles, Prince of Wales, German politician and President of the Bundesrat Peter Muller and Grand Duke Henri of Luxembourg.
Getty
Getty
Getty
Old 11-11-2008, 11:20 AM
Serene Highness

More pics :

"Lets be friends"

Getty Images - Unsupported browser detected

"Gone with the wind"

"Ladies"

"Gentlemen"

"The beaming Duchess strikes again"

Old 11-11-2008, 01:20 PM
Heir Presumptive

Nice pics from Zimbio
Royals Attend Commemorations of The 90th Anniversary of End of W - Pictures - Zimbio

Purepeople
http://www.purepeople.com/19009-REPO...s-photos-.html
Old 11-12-2008, 04:02 AM
Royal Highness

I saw yesterday evening some reports on TV about the conmemorations in Verdun. It was a moving ceremony there and i think the right place to remember all soldiers who were killed in World War I.

As Jo here said before: it isn´t true that Angela Merkel had pulled out at the last minute. She was in Poland to celebrate there the 90th anniversary of independence .( Also an event where the presence of a german political leader was important.)

Thank you for posting the articles and pics!
The Prince and the Duchess (as ususal) cut an excellent figure!
Old 11-12-2008, 04:49 AM
Heir Apparent

HRH the Grand Duchess of Luxembourg knows what suits her...like with the arrival outfit worn in Sweden, this ensemble looks wonderful on her. she's striking in fur and wears pillbox hats better than most, imo.

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Closed Thread

Tags
camilla, duchess of cornwall, edinburgh, highland games, prince charles, prince of wales