The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-17-2005, 02:47 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowabelle
How much money will this condolence trip cost, and who will pay for it?

It would be better to make a significant contribution to relief and assistance for the survivors.
Giving money is one thing, but showing up in person is different. Everyone can give money, but for a royal to take the time and visit is amazing. The survivors told interviews that seeing celebrities there showed them that they really cared. How much money do red cross volunteers pay for gas and other expenses just to get to the area devistated by the hurricane? The amount of money spent to get there shouldn't be a factor, bringing joy to even one person should be worth more than any amount the trip costs.

Old 09-17-2005, 08:13 AM
Royal Highness

HRH hosts the Taste of the West Awards 2005
http://www.princeofwales.gov.uk/news...taste_west.php

Prince sings praises of 'slow food'

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main...17/ixhome.html

Old 09-17-2005, 04:19 PM
Heir Presumptive

He could have come up with something better than "slower food, not faster food" in my opinion. I like what he had to say, but that last comment kinda threw me off for a second.

Old 09-17-2005, 04:48 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth
I think if they went to the USA and didn't try to visit New Orleans, they'd be criticised for being heartless.
I agree with you Elspeth.

I think some will appreciate it. Remember the African-American woman in Washington who got a visit from the Queen in her poor rundown neighborhood? She hugged the Queen with as much gusto as she could and went out screaming, "I got a Queen in my house! I got a Queen in my house!" I don't think she cared anything about the Queen till she found out she was coming for a visit.
Old 09-17-2005, 08:18 PM
Courtier

I heard that they are reopening some parts of NO next week. If Charles and Camilla go down it could be a much needed boast for the economy and also a nice pat on the back to those effected. If they go down spend one night the people who work in hotels and restuarants will have work, (plus anyone else that goes down to see them). It might start a trickle of tourism back in the city. I also think since many of those people spent so many days wondering where the help was, it might be nice to know that the international community was there for them. If they were going down this weekend I don't think it would be appropriate but if they are going down in a month (?). It would be nice for them to visit NO (or one of the other effected cities)
Old 09-17-2005, 10:14 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

I wonder if they're still coming to the World Trade Center site. It's in my neighborhood. I'd be curious. Has a member of the BRF visited New York?
Old 09-17-2005, 10:34 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbel
I wonder if they're still coming to the World Trade Center site. It's in my neighborhood. I'd be curious. Has a member of the BRF visited New York?
I think Princess Anne had visited NY some years ago maybe in 2003?, ysbel
God save Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II
Old 09-17-2005, 10:47 PM
Royal Highness
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

If they really want to see devastation and people who need help, they could go to Mississippi. They still don't have TENTS for survivors to shelter under.
Old 09-17-2005, 10:55 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Maybe they will. Who knows?
Old 09-17-2005, 11:53 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
They are supposed to visit ground zero with President Bush. They will be touring the US, and it is one of the stops.

Old 09-18-2005, 12:09 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Prince Andrew was here shortly after 9/11. The Duchess of York was actually in New York City and scheduled to go to the World Trade Center that day to her offices on the 106th floor for her charity "Children in Crisis". The Duchess' red haired doll was found among the rubble salvaged at the site.

I live only 35 miles from where the Twin Towers stood. Ysabel isn't far from me.
Old 09-18-2005, 07:56 AM
Courtier

Quote:
I agree with you Elspeth.

I think some will appreciate it.
I don't know... on another forum they had posted an article (from a tabloid) saying that C&C were planning to go to New Orleans, and for about two pages they were harshly criticized for being insensitive and heartless to even think about going. They can never win.
Old 09-18-2005, 08:22 AM
Heir Apparent

Britain's Prince Charles, and Camilla, the Duchess of Cornwall, arrive to attend a service commemorating the 65th anniversary of the Battle of Britain at West Minister Abbey in London, Sunday, Sept. 18, 2005
Frist pictures from AAP Image:
I think this is the hat that The Duchess wore when she appeared on the Balcony of BK on 10th July at 60th Anniversary of the end of WWII, but not the same outfit, the outfit was worn at the 200th Anniversary of Trafalgar on 28th June and Maritime Day on 20th July:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BRITAIN_ANNIVERSARY_BATTL_2.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	23.2 KB
ID:	198639   Click image for larger version

Name:	BRITAIN_ANNIVERSARY_BATTL_3.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	25.9 KB
ID:	198640   Click image for larger version

Name:	BRITAIN_ANNIVERSARY_BATTLE_.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	23.3 KB
ID:	198641   Click image for larger version

Name:	BRITAIN_ANNIVERSARY_BATTL_4.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	198656  

God save Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II
Old 09-18-2005, 08:44 AM
Heir Presumptive

strange hat! lol
Old 09-18-2005, 08:56 AM
Courtier

All she needs is the hook lol.
Old 09-18-2005, 11:19 AM
Imperial Majesty

That hat is downright scary. Perhaps she's better off sticking to feathery haloes.
Old 09-18-2005, 11:42 AM
Heir Apparent

That is some hat on Camilla! It probably needed its own chair at the memorial!

I wonder if all the royal ladies got a memo recently that this fall big (the bigger the better apparently) hats are in. Maxima wore that ginormous red hat to Pieter-Christiaan and Anita's wedding, Elena attended a wedding this weekend and for someone who doesn't normally wear hats, chose a pretty big hat. And now Camilla's navy feathery creation.

At least if it rains all these royal ladies could keep dry (probably a few people could keep dry) beneath their hats!
Old 09-18-2005, 11:54 AM
Royal Highness

What a hat! I know I can't wear a hat like that my head had fall of!
Old 09-18-2005, 12:10 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexandria
That is some hat on Camilla! It probably needed its own chair at the memorial!

I wonder if all the royal ladies got a memo recently that this fall big (the bigger the better apparently) hats are in. Maxima wore that ginormous red hat to Pieter-Christiaan and Anita's wedding, Elena attended a wedding this weekend and for someone who doesn't normally wear hats, chose a pretty big hat. And now Camilla's navy feathery creation.

At least if it rains all these royal ladies could keep dry (probably a few people could keep dry) beneath their hats!
That's a hat????? It's a bit much. I do like her dress and coat though. As for Elena, don't you remember the hat she wore to her sister's wedding? That was huge!
Old 09-18-2005, 12:27 PM
Imperial Majesty

She looks as though she's got a labrador on her head. I wouldn't like to have been the person sitting behind her.

Tags
camilla, duchess of cornwall, prince charles, prince of wales