The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-12-2005, 06:27 PM
Royal Highness

I like the hat, the colour and everything. I don't think the English ladies puts much stock in matching their hats to the rest of the outfit. Just look at the hats during Ascot week.

Old 08-13-2005, 11:51 PM
Heir Apparent

Prince Charles and Duchess of Cornwall will visit 9/11 ground zero when both meet president Bush and his wife Lady Laura Bush

Charles and Camilla to visit Ground Zero on first US tour
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main...14/ixhome.html

Old 08-13-2005, 11:58 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by sara1981
Prince Charles and Duchess of Cornwall will visit 9/11 ground zero when both meet president Bush and his wife Lady Laura Bush

Charles and Camilla are coming to my state in the union? Well, I will be staying away from NYC!!! Besides my obvious antipathy, the traffic is going to be horrendous!!!!
Old 08-14-2005, 12:53 AM
Administrator

A Dare?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiaraprin
Charles and Camilla are coming to my state in the union? Well, I will be staying away from NYC!!! Besides my obvious antipathy, the traffic is going to be horrendous!!!!
Go on tiaraprin, acknowledge it's a nice gesture for Charles and Camilla to visit the WTC Ground Zero site.

:)
Old 08-14-2005, 02:09 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren
Go on tiaraprin, acknowledge it's a nice gesture for Charles and Camilla to visit the WTC Ground Zero site.

:)
I understand why they are coming. British people died right along side Americans on 9/11 and an acknowledgement should be made. With the recent terrorism attacks on London, it is good for a Royal to be seen making visits at a terrorist attack site and solidifying solidarity between the horrible tragedies of my country and England. (This is a visit Diana would have been the best representative!!!)

Let me tell you Warren, if they aren't moved to tears by what they see there, they are not human. I went to Ground Zero (I live only 35 miles from there) and I cried my eyes out for the horrible waste of life and the injustice. Even Her Majesty cried at a memorial service for 9/11.

Just yesterday, the official audio recording for the events of 9/11 by those who were there and the families of the deceased has been released to the public here in the USA. While I haven't listened to it, I have read excerpts. I will not write what I read because it is quite violently graphic, and I don't want to upset anyone.
Old 08-14-2005, 02:16 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:

But they have not announced the date yet?Maybe they will announce soon.So maybe we can see The Duchess at the Banquet for King Harald's Official Visit from 25th-27th October or not.
God save Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II
Old 08-14-2005, 05:34 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Lady Laura Bush . Did I missed something?
Old 08-14-2005, 07:10 AM
Administrator

Best of both!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idriel
Lady Laura Bush . Did I miss something?
Yes Idriel, Sara is having the best of both worlds: the US Republic with British Nobility titles.:)
Old 08-14-2005, 07:46 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Yes Idriel, Sara is having the best of both worlds: the US Republic with British Nobility titles.:)
Warren your sense of humour is always refreshing on these forums!
Old 08-14-2005, 09:34 AM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

I don't know whether Charles' and Camilla's visit will get much press here in New York City. We're a city that's pretty self-absorbed. But since I work across from the old WTC site, I imagine getting to work will be quite interesting the day they're here. Ah well, its better than having the Republican National Convention - that was a nightmare!
Old 08-14-2005, 11:24 AM
Courtier

In the last picture only the lower portion of Camilla's face is visible and I suddenly realised that... she looks like my English teacher! (who is English). She has the same mouth!
Old 08-14-2005, 12:06 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

I just remembered. Didn't Bush announce that Camilla would not be welcome at the White House? Yes here it is.

http://www.sundaymirror.co.uk/news/n...name_page.html

Looks like he's backtracking. I thought his announcement at the time of the wedding was a little premature and overdone.
Old 08-14-2005, 12:11 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Let me tell you Warren, if they aren't moved to tears by what they see there, they are not human. I went to Ground Zero (I live only 35 miles from there) and I cried my eyes out for the horrible waste of life and the injustice. Even Her Majesty cried at a memorial service for 9/11.
I think it's important to realize however that everybody shows their feelings differently. For some people, publicly crying or displaying any sort of emotion is normal and nothing to give a second thought to, while for others, showing some reserve no matter how poignant a scene is the thing.

Even if Charles and Camilla do not shed Niagara Falls-worth tears when they visit Ground Zero, it does not mean that they care any less or are unaffected by the immense loss of life and tragedy that took place.

I am not just talking about the "stiff upper lip" the British have, but also about the personalities and nature of Charles and Camilla in general. Neither may not be given to public displays of emotion but that doesn't mean that they are unfeelling individuals.

I myself am an emotional individual. I cry at the drop of a pin, whether it's a sad scene in a movie or at a funeral of someone I knew and loved. But a friend I've grown up with does not cry so easily, though it doesn't mean that she is not as upset as I am. Just as Jackie Kennedy never cried publicly during the funeral of her husband John F. Kennedy. It doesn't mean anything if someone doesn't throw themselves across a coffin or break down publicly.
Old 08-14-2005, 12:22 PM
Courtier

Lady Laura Bush is the title she uses here as she is the First Lady of the United States. As far as the crying at Ground Zero, I didn't cry when I visited (and I've been there a few times...) I'm touched but I don't cry.
Old 08-14-2005, 01:32 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
I believe it is written in our constitution, while no longer enforced, that an American citizen cannot take a royal title or endowment. At the time, it was seen as important to separate our country from Great Britain. Today, many Americans dream of having a title or being knighted by the Queen! Ronald Reagan was thrilled with his knighthood!! Nancy Reagan was and still is besotted with Royalty and socializing with them. Attending the royal weddings of the 80's and having the Queen visit their California ranch was Nancy's ultimate thrill. She is a woman who used to practice curtseying with her wealthy friends behind closed doors. However, as the wife of the then current President of the United States, she was not to curtsey.
Old 08-14-2005, 04:45 PM
Aristocracy

He he he he, and alot of canadians were glad to see Conrad Black go, when he was knighted he had to give his Canadian citizenship.
Old 08-14-2005, 05:44 PM
Royal Highness
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Quote:
She is a woman who used to practice curtseying with her wealthy friends behind closed doors. However, as the wife of the then current President of the United States, she was not to curtsey.
I went to school in Canada for a year when I was very young, and we were taught to curtsy (or bow), just in case. I attended the Earl of Athlone School in Winnepeg.
Old 08-14-2005, 05:54 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexandria
I think it's important to realize however that everybody shows their feelings differently. For some people, publicly crying or displaying any sort of emotion is normal and nothing to give a second thought to, while for others, showing some reserve no matter how poignant a scene is the thing.

Even if Charles and Camilla do not shed Niagara Falls-worth tears when they visit Ground Zero, it does not mean that they care any less or are unaffected by the immense loss of life and tragedy that took place.

I am not just talking about the "stiff upper lip" the British have, but also about the personalities and nature of Charles and Camilla in general. Neither may not be given to public displays of emotion but that doesn't mean that they are unfeelling individuals.
I am not suggesting that Charles and Camilla should be shedding buckets of tears. I would like to see that they are visably moved by what they see and mean it. Some visual recognition of the tragedy and that they actually feel for the people who have died or suffered would be nice.
Old 08-14-2005, 06:45 PM
Royal Highness
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Quote:
I am not suggesting that Charles and Camilla should be shedding buckets of tears. I would like to see that they are visably moved by what they see and mean it. Some visual recognition of the tragedy and that they actually feel for the people who have died or suffered would be nice.
I think that Charles is a sensitive man, Camilla may be made of sterner stuff and not so likely to cry in public.

Princess Anne shed some tears at Auschwitz, so if she expressed emotion there, maybe we'll see it from Charles.
Old 08-14-2005, 06:47 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowabelle
I think that Charles is a sensitive man, Camilla may be made of sterner stuff and not so likely to cry in public.

Princess Anne shed some tears at Auschwitz, so if she expressed emotion there, maybe we'll see it from Charles.
I didn't know that Princess Anne shed tears in public at anytime!! Well, she picked a good place to shed them!! My grandfather helped liberate Auschwitz at the end of WWII.

Tags
camilla, duchess of cornwall, prince charles, prince of wales