Catherine Middleton Current Events 1: November 2010-April 29, 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's very hurtful to have someone say that your marriage isn't going to last. Esp a bishop. Poor Kate - so much criticism and she's yet to put a wrong foot forward.

He must have been drunk.:p

Why? He has a right to an opinion and expressed that opinion. He is a republican and sees no reason to celebrate the wedding of strangers. He stated facts - the royals don't make good marriages with 3/4 of the Queen's children divorcing along with her sister - not a good success rate for those close to the throne is it?

I don't agree with his comments but he has a right to say them - and less than a week after people paid their respects to the men and women who fought and died to give him that right I find that I am reaching the point of believing that those men and women died in vain.

Why? He has a right to an opinion and expressed that opinion. He is a republican and sees no reason to celebrate the wedding of strangers. He stated facts - the royals don't make good marriages with 3/4 of the Queen's children divorcing along with her sister - not a good success rate for those close to the throne is it?

I don't agree with his comments but he has a right to say them - and less than a week after people paid their respects to the men and women who fought and died to give him that right I find that I am reaching the point of believing that those men and women died in vain.

Well yes he does have a right to his opinion, but in airing it in public, he has to live with the backlash of that opinion. He is a Bishop of the Church of England and is held to a higher standard than Jo Schmo on the street.

Well yes he does have a right to his opinion, but in airing it in public, he has to live with the backlash of that opinion. He is a Bishop of the Church of England and is held to a higher standard than Jo Schmo on the street.

Those were my thoughts too reading the opinion he aired.

I would presume that this man as a republican had his own views on what the royal family stands for and his own opinions about them and the way they conduct their lives... as a Jo Schmoe, there's a lot of those opinions anywhere that you look. As a Bishop of the Church of England, he made himself out to be quite a hypocrite. As a Christian bishop isn't he supposed to reflect Christian like behavior? I certainly would not want this man to be my mentor or adviser on spiritual matters at all.

No one is held to higher standards at all. That is discrimination. Everyone has equal rights (except for royals of course). It doesn't matter whether he is a bishop or Joe Bloggs he has as much right to say what he thinks as anyone else.

To me its not about his freedom of speech or his right to be a republican its just poor taste IMO. It also reminds me of a tried and true statement that we often overlook:

If you have nothing nice to say dont' say anything at all.

He definitely has a right to think that what he wants and express it.....about the length of the marriage or question the right of royalty. But why now? Why bring drama when there is no drama. I am sure he has a lot more important things to do in regards to his church members and society as a whole than deal with this press nightmare. I only hope he is just as vocal about helping out the less fortunate.

Last edited:
No one is held to higher standards at all. That is discrimination. Everyone has equal rights (except for royals of course). It doesn't matter whether he is a bishop or Joe Bloggs he has as much right to say what he thinks as anyone else.

Oh I totally agree with you that he has the right to state his opinion as much as anyone of us do. What I was saying is that his opinion reflected on the persona that is his job.. as a bishop of the CoE.

This remark by him really irked me and I think its perhaps of a memory I have as a teen. A close relative of my parents was a RC priest. He'd be all holy and talking the talk.. but I remember seeing him the night before playing cards and drinking, smoking and cussing like a sailor and saying similar things that this bishop has. Actually it was with that reality I denounced the church. I'm just wondering what effect it would have on his congregation and folks that don't really know him personally that attend his congregation. I do realize very much that these men of god are very much men and these things happen. I just think that perhaps this one bishop went too far as state to the press his negative feelings.

My favorite is opinions are like navels(substitute another part of anatomy that is in the back of the front if you wish).. we all have one. For the most part we keep ours private.

To me its not about his freedom of speech or his right to be a republican its just poor taste IMO. It also reminds me of a tried and true statement that we often overlook:

He definitely has a right to think that what he wants and express it.....about the length of the marriage or question the right of royalty. But why now? Why bring drama when there is no drama. I am sure he has a lot more important things to do in regards to his church members and society as a whole than deal with this press nightmare. I only hope he is just as vocal about helping out the less fortunate.

I agree.

What ever happened to 'congratulations and the best of luck to you both'?

Republican or no republican, placing odds on the longevity of some elses marriage before they are even married is pretty damn tasteless. To state it on a social networking site when in a position of public authority is incredibly crass.

Have an opinion, but expressing a little good faith wouldn't go astray.

But apparently he has apologised, so that's something at least.

Last edited:
When NoorMeansLight said "He must have been drunk" I thought it was referring just to the fact that he was a Bishop, not because of what he said....

Osipi - understand your feelings. I'm reminded of an interview I once read with John Cougar Mellancamp who told the story that when his grandfather asked him why he didn't go to church, John said that it was because there were so many hypocrites in church. His grandfather replied "There are a lot of hypocrites in bars too but that doesn't stop you from going there." Score one for grandpa! :lol: John decided then he needed to go to church in spite of hypocrites.

Yes, the Bishop man is entitled to his opinion but I can't imagine that his opinion matters all that much to Prince William and Kate Middleton.

I respectfully disagree. He took an oath to uphold the teachings of God and the Church of England. Does God or the Church of England teach that childish name calling, insults, disparaging remarks on a person's looks is Christian behavior? Absolutely not.

He is absolutely held to a higher standard, which is why he is now suspended by the Church of England.

Last edited:
I respectfully disagree. He took an oath to uphold the teachings of God and the Church of England. Does God or the Church of England teach that childish name calling, insults, disparaging remarks on a person's looks is Christian behavior? Absolutely not.

He is absolutely held to a higher standard, which is why he is now Suspended by the Church of England.

I didn't see this.. where did you hear it and is there a link?

Kate Middleton's Princess Counseling Is Creepy :ohmy:

The blog essentially refers to the Daily Fail article (which was also picked up by the NY Daily News) and concludes that "...maybe all celebrities would fare better if they received a little pre-fame counseling. At the same time, the idea of said counseling being managed by the royal family is a bit disturbing."

There's an underlying assumption that the rumored "counseling" is an attempt by Buckingham Palace to mold Kate into the kind of princess they want her to be. To be fair, they do acknowledge that this might be just post-engagement media hoopla and may of the comments have pointed out the value of pre-marital counseling. Still, the headline really irked me when I first saw it and I needed time to cool off before posting a response.

I hope the counseling rumors are exaggerated. To say that Catherine has vulnerable spots and was "destroyed" by the 2007 break up sounds like either she is not a very strong person or that the media is making things up.

It really doesn't sound like "counselling" as that term is used these days. That implies there are already problems that need to be sorted out. It sounds more like a kind of foundation course - some preparation, coaching, and passing on tips.

It sounds more like a kind of foundation course - some preparation, coaching, and passing on tips.
Yes, that's how I interpret it as well and looks like BP wants everyone to know they are being proactive this time around. Kate is taking the - whatever it's called - as a precaution in the unlikely event things don't work out. In other words, they can't be blamed/accused of not having provided proper support.

Last edited:
I think it's more or less helping her fill in some blanks. She's going from a girlfriend to the future queen. That takes some adjusting. I'm also certain she has a lot of questions and this way she can get them answered.

I was actually hoping she would wear white, not because of any rule per se, but because I think it would be a nice contrast to her dark hair.

I think the color of Diana's wedding dress did not go well with her own coloring.

More than likely she will wear white. Why wouldn't she? This is 2010. Not 1910.

I think it's more or less helping her fill in some blanks. She's going from a girlfriend to the future queen. That takes some adjusting. I'm also certain she has a lot of questions and this way she can get them answered.

It may be like the "prince school" that Daniel of Sweden undertook.

I am sure she is going to what we could call the "princess school", like all the other commoners that now are princess, Maxima, Mary,Marie, Letizia, etc.....

More than likely she will wear white. Why wouldn't she? This is 2010. Not 1910.

Do many brides wear white these days? It's rather unforgiving, and doesn't flatter many people. Most 'white' weddings I see are in fact some shade of cream, oyster, ivory etc.

^ They'll probably find a shade (cream, off white, oyster, ivory etc.) of white that will flatter her skin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom