Catherine Middleton Current Events 1: November 2010-April 29, 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The bullying story it's really touching, and I can definitely see her being a spokesperson for this kind of charity work.
One thing is certain, as hard as it was, she came though.
silly as it's sound : look who's laughing now :D !

Last edited by a moderator:
Posts rehashing the Diana/Charles/Camilla triangle which have NOTHING to do with Catherine's Current Events have been deleted.

Any and all additional off topic posts will continue to be deleted without notice.

Zonk
British Forums Moderator

Kate Middleton doesn't have to worry about parking tickets any more | Mail Online

This article was posted in her fashion thread by another poster so I thought I would bring it over here to see what people thought about her bodyguards flashing their badges to get Kate out of a parking ticket. This is really inappropriate in my opinion. They are their to protect her not prevent her from being above the law. I see no reason why she can't park with everyone else, the bodyguard stays behind to guard the car and the rest accompany her shopping.

Soapstar was the original poster..Thanks for the idea and the article.

I guess I'm not much liking that she gets out of the ticket. I suppose Royals don't pay tickets though, do they? I really don't know. Here, of course, public officials of all kinds can transgress parking laws (and doctors too of course), but Kate is not a public official - nor are any of the Royals public officials.

I know, however, that if there were a handful of perks I'd like to have (as a royal), it would be to park anywhere I pleased. I would not want to cut in front of lines (except at thronged public events; but at the supermarket, I'd want to stay in queue like everyone else). But ah, parking...that's seductive.

Oh, I meant no disparagement to Kate, her family, her friends, or anyone else. I was fortunate to never have been bullied in school; however, a close friend of mine as adult was bullied unmercifully all through high school, and really took it's toll on her, long, long after.

I hate this term w/a passion. What is going on in our schools is kids abusing other kids. All "bullying" is, is nothing but a nice neat term to use instead of calling it what it truly is. I hear you about your friend marigold, as the same thing happened to me, only it didn't start in High School, but much earlier. I'm still attempting to heal the scars it's left, but some scars never do.

I think Kate's parents are to be commended for pulling her out of the bully school. Other kids are told to just take it and/or find a way to cope. Maybe not so much now that awareness of the problem has risen. Kate and William's charity will help a lot!

Oh, you'd be surprised. Our neighbours went on the warpath w/their daughter's Grade Three Teacher after she went to her w/how this one boy was tackling her to the ground and then doing a neck choke on her. Not to mention some of the names he was calling her. This teacher told her that piece of crap rhyme about "Sticks and Stones" and also since this boy was being physical w/her, that meant he liked her.

That teacher is no longer teaching in our local Grade school Thank God and our neighbours, but sadly, she wasn't fired either. I pray she's gone into another profession, but I have a bad feeling about that.

Then there's those of us that didn't have an option due to location and other circumstances. Kate was lucky she was able to be transferred to another school and was accepted there by the kids judging by the impressive young lady she is. I wish I'd been that lucky.

As for the Cinderella comment, I only meant it in a light-hearted way, thinking in a romantic way, I guess, of the picked upon child growing up to be a star. I realize of course, that Kate had a more priviledged childhood than many children do. It doesn't seem to have gone to her head though.

No, it certainly doesn't and she comes across as a very grounded young lady. I'm very glad that she and William picked a program/organization that is battling something in our schools that should have been eradicated long before now when making up the list of those charties/organizations for the Wedding Donation/Gifts Listing. Hopefully, as w/Crown Princess Mary's patronage of a simliar organization in Denmark, we'll see Kate taking on that organization or something like it among her first Patronages as HRH Duchess of xxx.

Like it or not, royalty and people with power and privlege are not like us and many people do get out of tickets. Look at the diplomats who park in NYC, the mayors and senators in the DC area. Heck, even the electric company has information on their trucks that when on official business they should not be ticketed.

Parking out of place

It could have been that protection didn't want her to park further away and walk and at the same time didn't want to just drop her off at the shop because they wanted the car nearby in case a fast exit was needed. I don't know that the RF always has a choice in some of these things.

To have the protection officer flash his badge twice and get away twice (as opposed to simply paying the small amount himself or calling on her to come out and pay) makes me think there is likely an arrangement between them and the police. Maybe the royals, by account of their needed security, are exempt from such laws. Camilla has been seen parking in "no parking" zones and those never became an issue either.

Yes and probably the protection detail didn't want certain information written down and such of the car. I known the BRF isn't diplomats but diplomats with diplomatic immunity don't pay parking tickets either. I went to hs with a girl whose father had immunity and thus did she, she got a speeding ticket and told cops she didn't have to pay- her Dad was pissed and made her pay it because he said it was s privlege and she was abusing it, so maybe the BRF is extempt from tickets plus I imagine it's a security hazard to have peole writting down info on Catherines car (my guess)

Edit- this brings up the question in my mind, how do royals get their drivers licenses? Private tutor/instructor?

Last edited:
I went to hs with a girl whose father had immunity and thus did she, she got a speeding ticket and told cops she didn't have to pay- her Dad was pissed and made her pay it because he said it was s privlege and she was abusing it,

Good for her dad! Those are the kinds of diplomats we want:flowers:

Not only more diplomats like that, but more good parents like that as well.

Just because diplomats and royals get out of parking tickets doesn't make it right. As for the security aspect I can see no justification for her parking right up next to the door. All of this flashing of the badge stuff sounds like an abuse of position not an actual arrangement. If there is an arrangement being made then it should be for good reasons like for royal engagements not for shopping trips. They are there to protect her from bullets and kidnappings not parking tickets. I am sure she had the money to pay to park with everyone else. After all people are still going to be walking near her car but not right next to it since her bodyguards will stay behind to watch the car either way.

jemagre said:
Just because diplomats and royals get out of parking tickets doesn't make it right. .

But it does make it the way it is.....and diplomatic immunity is really suppose to be for more important than that I just used that as an example

This sort of thing dosn't go down well with ordinary people AT ALL! I suspect that those who don't like her will feel vindicated and those who do may now feel a little less warm towards her. Despite the legal obligation to do so it would have taken a few seconds and a mere few pounds to have paid for that parking so I can't for the life of me understand why she didn't just do it.

When I read the comments posted about this article on the site, I realized that the posters thought that Kate must have been aware of her protection officer's intervention. However, she was in the store when it happened. How could she stop her officer's actions if she wasn't there at the time?:ermm:

She knew that she hadn't put the money in the machine to get the parking permit for the car! On top of that she must have noticed the traffic warden nearby but obviously couldn't have cared less.

I read the article again and noticed the system for paying the parking. I'm not familiar with a system like this, which is why I misunderstood the problem.:blush:

She knew that she hadn't put the money in the machine to get the parking permit for the car!

Sounds like there's an extended reception, with the more élite, later reception at BP, to which David is not invited (he just gets the regular reception? And no wedding...I think).

I keep hearing that the entire day (and day before) have various parties - and the main reception is in the mid-afternoon, right?

I hope that, in time to come, she'll be able to go out for dinner without the cameras following her. For all the luxury and fame that's coming to her, she'll have to give up the things that most of us take for granted--her privacy and the right to run her own life.

Mermaid1962 said:
I hope that, in time to come, she'll be able to go out for dinner without the cameras following her. .

Doubt it... She's not going to get less famous....only more and pictures will be in higher demand I bet

Probably, yes. She and William will have to zealously guard their privacy, even if it means that we see less of them in the next few years than we did of William's parents when they were first married.

Doubt it... She's not going to get less famous....only more and pictures will be in higher demand I bet

Mermaid1962 said:
Probably, yes. She and William will have to zealously guard their privacy, even if it means that we see less of them in the next few years than we did of William's parents when they were first married.

Yes and unfortunately the less we see them the more pictures of them will be in demand....

This sort of thing dosn't go down well with ordinary people AT ALL! I suspect that those who don't like her will feel vindicated and those who do may now feel a little less warm towards her. Despite the legal obligation to do so it would have taken a few seconds and a mere few pounds to have paid for that parking so I can't for the life of me understand why she didn't just do it.

That is my point exactly. :flowers: Maybe we should prevent diplomats from being allowed to get out of parking tickets unless its for official business. By the way shopping doesn't count. :lol:

MRSJ great points about the pictures. They might also run into a situation where people will start to question why they pay for them if they are not going to earn their keep. They will have to learn to walk the fine line between both worlds.

Who cares? No, I'm serious -- why should anyone care? I'm an ordinary person, and I could care less. It also doesn't change what I think of her one lick, and if something like this is enough to make someone think less of her, they never liked her to begin with. People get out of paying parking tickets all the time -- they may be friends with a cop, know a judge.....this happens far more often than you think. This is just "news" because she's marrying the future King of England. If she was just Kate Middleton, it wouldn't even make her local town's newspaper.

There are so many other more important things to worry about than Kate Middleton not paying a parking ticket. I mean, really. Get back to me when she runs over a baby while driving drunk or something.

Plus it's not like she is the only royal not to have to pay a ticket.... I'm sure none of them do , so she hasn't done anything wrong IMO....

Kate Middleton doesn't have to worry about parking tickets any more | Mail Online

This article was posted in her fashion thread by another poster so I thought I would bring it over here to see what people thought about her bodyguards flashing their badges to get Kate out of a parking ticket. This is really inappropriate in my opinion. They are their to protect her not prevent her from being above the law. I see no reason why she can't park with everyone else, the bodyguard stays behind to guard the car and the rest accompany her shopping.

Soapstar was the original poster..Thanks for the idea and the article.
Kate is not everyone else anymore. If she is provided security protection they make the decisions as to where she parks and how she gets in to the store. If the royal family is exempt from parking fees then the protection officer did the right thing, if not, then the parking attendant did not do his/her job.

The whole point with security is to limit the exposure to the surroundings and unplanned actions. Whether the parking fee got paid is not any of Kate's problem anymore. If someone does not like it, then re-think the whole issue of a royal house. I doubt even PM Cameron worries about parking fees anymore either. That is just the system.

And it is totally irrelevent if some diplomat's daughter paid her ticket. Kate is not some ofthe thousands of diplomat's daughter, she is now getting fairly close to the throne.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom