British Royal Family Current Events 9: January 2017 - July 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Her attendance wasn’t announced because she’s on maternity leave. She’s going to start popping up on occasions until she’s officially back.

When was this engagement announced for others? You can bet that OOS was printed weeks if not months ago.
The fact that she’s printed in the book they had more than an incline she would attend. It’s hardly “popping up” when it’s been planned for a while.

When was this engagement announced for others? You can bet that OOS was printed weeks if not months ago.
The fact that she’s printed in the book they had more than an incline she would attend. It’s hardly “popping up” when it’s been planned for a while.

I don't know if the program would've been printed that long ago as they would leave little room for contingent events.

There was a short video from today of the family leaving the Abbey and the Queen appeared to stumble a bit. When I watched it, it looked to me not so much a stumble but what one might do when one is a bit dizzy. She crossed one leg in front of the other when walking. Even the officiant put out a hand as though he thought she was going to need help regaining her balance. At her age this is hardly surprising but I wonder if she might not have an inner ear infection or something of the sort given that she was feeling under the weather last week and then seemed to lose her balance like this today. Combined with missing Louis' christening yesterday it seems likely that it's a relatively minor issue but certainly something that could cause difficulty in a woman of her age.

My husband and I visited Windsor Castle today and thankfully an employee advised us to hang around outside for a few more minutes to see the flypast on its way to London. So glad we waited, very impressive display. The red arrows released their colours over Windsor Castle also.

I don't know if the program would've been printed that long ago as they would leave little room for contingent events.

Well we only have to look at the OOS for Meghan and Henry’s wedding to see this is practice. This event has been in the planning for ages. It’s the fact that BP didn’t even say this morning she was coming, it took the release of the OOS to tell the world.

Well we only have to look at the OOS for Meghan and Henry’s wedding to see this is practice. This event has been in the planning for ages. It’s the fact that BP didn’t even say this morning she was coming, it took the release of the OOS to tell the world.

I'm not saying it couldn't have been printed a week before. The Sussex situation came up literally five days before the wedding itself. But I highly doubt it'd be weeks or months beforehand.

Just saying that KP didn’t announce she would be attending because she’s on maternity leave. They only announced that William, and Harry and Meghan would be attending with the rest of the family. For us, her appearance was a pop up. This happened after the births of George and Charlotte too.

Last edited:
Except KP knew she would be attending because she was in the order of service. They could therefore have easily announced her attendance. It’s quite clear that unlike with an ordinary job, Catherine doesn’t have a defined maternity leave. She can come back to work whenever she wants.

Except KP knew she would be attending because she was in the order of service. They could therefore have easily announced her attendance. It’s quite clear that unlike with an ordinary job, Catherine doesn’t have a defined maternity leave. She can come back to work whenever she wants.

The OOS are most likely newly printed after Catherine decided to attend.

No, there’s no defined maternity leave system.

Unlikely a reprint considering how many people are attending, that’s double money coming out of someone’s pocket.

I would imagine that the deciding factor if and when Kate pops up at something is none other than Louis, himself. If Kate has a rough night with him and doesn't get much sleep, she can opt out of the day's events and catch up on her rest. If the dear, wee one sleeps through the night, she's up to attending.

This just seems logical to me. :D

Unlikely a reprint considering how many people are attending, that’s double money coming out of someone’s pocket.

Not sure there was a reprint. Most likely those are the original Order of Service. Don’t take months to print these days.

They usually print the OOS about 2 weeks out or used to. And that is common for most events, royal or not.

I know this because I actually had a friend’s mom who worked for the printer favored by the BRF or something like that who mentioned that last minute changes are generally never reflected in BRF printed materials because it takes A LOT of time, effort and materials to print these.

Don’t know if that is always the case but there you go?

The Royal Family watch RAF flypast from Buckingham Palace balcony today.

Those two must keep things hopping at home.

LaRae

Thanks iceflower! :flowers:

Well, I've been quite busy today, so I didn't get the chance to watch the BBC One broadcast, which was sent from 09:30 to 13:20 (hopefully it will soon be available on YouTube).

BBC article with lots of information, so take a look at it, really worth it: RAF centenary: Thousands watch flypast - BBC
Thousands of people have gathered outside Buckingham Palace to watch a flypast of aircraft to mark the centenary of the Royal Air Force.

Up to 100 planes representing the RAF over the years flew over The Mall following a parade by personnel.

The Queen and other members of the Royal Family saw the display - which included the new F-35 fighter and Spitfires - from the palace balcony.

ITV article: The Queen praises RAF’s gallantry as Mall flypast celebrates centenary - ITV
The Queen has praised the Royal Air Force for its “tenacity, skill and gallantry” as she was joined by senior members of the royal family at the centrepiece of events marking the force’s 100th year.

Standing in the forecourt of Buckingham Palace as she presented the Queen’s Colour to the RAF, she spoke of the “remarkable contribution to defence” over the last 100 years.

A vast array of more than 100 RAF aircraft roared and thundered across the skies of London as the Queen and members of the royal family watched the biggest display of military aircraft in recent memory from the palace balcony.

In their biggest ever formation, 22 Typhoon jets spelt out the number “100” in the sky – an added surprise for the royals, personnel and the throngs of public spectators who had packed out the streets to watch.

The Queen's speech: A speech by The Queen to mark the 100th Anniversary of The Royal Air Force - Royal Family website
In 1918, my father, King George VI, served alongside one of the Service's founders, Lord Trenchard, before becoming the first of my family to qualify as a Royal Air Force pilot. That family tradition continues to this day: The Duke of Edinburgh, The Prince of Wales and The Duke of Cambridge have all earned their Wings, and wear them with great pride.

--------------------

The crowds:

Quote from the BBC article above:
According to the Met Police, an estimated 65,000 to 70,000 people gathered on The Mall to watch the parade and flypast, with roads in central London being closed until 17:00 BST.

Photos: photo 1 - photo 2 - photo 3 - photo 4 - photo 5

Well, I haven't seen crowds like that since Her Majesty's 90th Birthday trooping.

Last edited:
Kensington Palace

Verified account

@KensingtonRoyal
Follow Follow @KensingtonRoyal
More
The Duke of Cambridge and The Duke and Duchess of Sussex then attended a reception at Buckingham Palace as part of the @royalairforce centenary celebrations. #RAF100

Kensington Palace

Verified account

@KensingtonRoyal
Follow Follow @KensingtonRoyal
More
Their Royal Highnesses met serving RAF personnel and charity representatives involved in the @RAF100_Appeal, as well as RAF Veterans and Civil Service personnel. #RAF100

Video of the entire BBC One broadcast:

Video of the entire balcony appearance, and again look at those crowds:

Last edited:
Great to see the royals at the RAF events today, the flypast looked fantastic. Almost like a second Trooping the Colour for them ? One of my mother's friends was there in London today and she was saying that she had to walk for most of her journey once she got near Buckingham Palace because public transport was a nightmare!
I love the photos of the BRF laughing together; I'd love to know what William's joke was as it seemed to bring smiles to everyone's faces! It's nice to see HM looking well after her absence from Louis's christening yesterday as I was concerned that she might have been unwell.
Of course, I adore the photos of George and Charlotte watching the flypast. Charlotte is such a cheeky monkey, the photos of her sticking her tongue out reminded me of Princess Isabella helping to clean the windows of the royal palace in Denmark when she was little. I wonder if Charlotte likes wearing more formal dresses such as the one she was wearing today, as George was wearing much more casual clothes. I can imagine that she's the sort of child who once she wants to wear something, she refuses to take it off :D

Sidenote: the article on the front page of TRF states that for example Anne and Timothy were not present for the fly-past (and doesn't mention many of the others who were present). However, all senior royals -including the duchess of Kent!- seemed to have turned up (the only ones that I cannot see on these pictures are princess Alexandra and prince Michael but they might be standing next to princess Michael - unfortunately not the full balcony was covered). See PPE.

Last edited:
It was really a nice event. :flowers: I never paid it no mind in previous years. I can honestly say I am paying more attention to the BRF these days, particularly whenever I know that Harry and Meghan will be present. ;)

BTW there are moments when the camera catches Meghan and she is showcased beautifully. She really is a handsome woman. Plus the interactions between Meghan and Harry are charming (and somehow 'comforting').

It was interesting to see Meghan given the pride of place beside the Queen on the balcony. I wonder why? It made more sense for William to be in that spot. I noticed in one video it looks like Meghan is actually striving to be beside and behind Harry, with a clear space from the Queen. Must have had something to do with camera angles (I guess)?

Sidenote: the article on the front page of TRF states that for example Anne and Timothy were not present for the fly-past (and doesn't mention many of the others who were present). However, all senior royals -including the duchess of Kent!- seemed to have turned up (the only ones that I cannot see on these pictures are princess Alexandra and prince Michael but they might be standing next to princess Michael - unfortunately not the full balcony was covered). See PPE.

I don't think the Duchess of Kent was present. Princess Alexandra was standing next to the Duke of Kent on the far right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom