British Royal Family Current Events 9: January 2017 - July 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Rebecca English

Verified account

@RE_DailyMail
Follow Follow @RE_DailyMail
More Rebecca English Retweeted Rebecca English
Regards the royal train, it cost £900,000 to run in 2016/17 and was used just 14 times in 12 months. It is only available to the Queen, Philip, Charles and Camilla - I'm not even sure that William, Kate or Harry will have been on it officially. So quite a first for #Meghan.

Wonder what it's like inside that train? And YAY royal walkabout with HMQ and DoS.

Very plain

https://www.express.co.uk/news/roya...e-Royal-Train-as-it-faces-the-end-of-the-line

Wait....did they do renovations on the home or something? It does look a home that you could see in any American neighborhood. Very colonial.

I am very sorry (know this should be in the shared Royal engagements thread) but my search button just doesn't work (tried 12 times) so I can't put it there.

Rebecca English reports on her Twitter that the Royal train will be used for the Cheshire engagements, disembarking at Runcorn station. She says that the train has been used about 19 times in the past 12 months and it will be 'an eye opener' for Meghan. The train is generally reserved for the Queen, Duke, and Charles and Camilla and she isn't sure that Harry or William have ever been on it. So that's another first for Meghan!

Oh! I checked out the 'gallery'. It was magnificent and beautiful. Thanks for the link.

Yes, weep indeed! It looks magnificent. However, it may well have not been so great to live in, a bit like BP. Aside from the expense of maintenance and need for masses of servants, it could well have been cold and draughty (inefficient fires) and with miles of corridors. I think it's notable that later Dukes preferred to live elsewhere.

I am very sorry (know this should be in the shared Royal engagements thread) but my search button just doesn't work (tried 12 times) so I can't put it there.

Rebecca English reports on her Twitter that the Royal train will be used for the Cheshire engagements, disembarking at Runcorn station. She says that the train has been used about 19 times in the past 12 months and it will be 'an eye opener' for Meghan. The train is generally reserved for the Queen, Duke, and Charles and Camilla and she isn't sure that Harry or William have ever been on it. So that's another first for Meghan!

William and Harry has been on the train. I know it’s been 20 years and some folks don’t remember, it was the Royal Train that took Diana’s body and family members back to Althorp for the burial. William has been on it again with engagements with Charles.

Last edited:
So that was the train that was used twenty years ago! Thanks Dman!

Wait....did they do renovations on the home or something? It does look a home that you could see in any American neighborhood. Very colonial.

Yes, they did do renovations. This link shows the history of the hall

https://www.eatonestate.co.uk/our-heritage/halls-at-eaton.aspx

The Eaton Hall of the 70's was very modern and, to me, looks like a public library (at least it looks like the Queensland State Library). The current, altered, house looks more colonial like you say but like a modern building built to resemble the older style.

William and Harry has been on the train. I know it’s been 20 years and some folks don’t remember, it was the Royal Train that took Diana’s body and family members back to Althorp for the burial. William has been on it again with engagements with Charles.

I don't remember the Royal train being used for Diana's coffin. I remember watching after the funeral as the hearse drove out of London to Althorp. I think only the mourners traveled by train for the burial so yes William & Harry have traveled on the train before.

Last edited:
Especially since neither BRF nor KP twitter have publicized Meghan attending this event (also odd, IMO, that KP twitter hasn't mentioned it).

Thx cepe!

And why should they? I get that she's new and shiny and all, but not everything has to be publicized :whistling:

It always surprises me how very blandly decorated the royal train is. Not very plush is what I am trying to say.

And why should they? I get that she's new and shiny and all, but not everything has to be publicized :whistling:

Because KP's twitter is specifically for publicizing the Cambridges' and Sussex's work, including events they attend. They aren't tweeting this because BP is handling this one as HMQ is the host royal. Official details were sent out from BP regarding details of the day from beginning to end was released by BP the next day. And on the day of, they'll mostly retweet what The Royal Family twitter sends out and then add one or two of their own.

Queen Elizabeth and the Duchess of Cornwall as Patron of Medical Detection Dogs attended the 10th anniversary celebration at The Royal Mews, Buckingham Palace, today, June 6:

** Pic ** gettyimages gallery **

** dailymail: Beaming Queen looks elegant in blue as she is accompanied by the Duchess of Cornwall to attend..**

Article from ITV's Royal Editor, Chris Ship:
The dogs which showed the Queen and Camilla how they can sniff out cancer - ITV News
The Queen has been told how dogs are so far ahead of humans when it comes to detecting cancer, scientists are developing a digital dog’s nose.

If successful, she was told, it will save lives.

Dogs which sniff out cancers are trained by the charity Medical Detection Dogs.

And in the Royal Mews, the stables at the back of Buckingham Palace earlier, the Queen watched Kizzy – a cocker spaniel – discover which of the eight urine samples placed in front of her came from a human with bladder cancer.

--------------------

ITN video:

The job of KP Twitter account IS to publicize the Cambridges and Sussexes work, their engagements. That's why it's there.

how very blandly decorated the royal train is

This is largely due to the design influences of the DoE.. the private areas of the [ex] Royal Yacht, Britannia were exactly the same [and even the 'reception rooms' were pretty plain].
If one spends ones life in elaborately decorated Palaces, surrounded by priceless antiques, 'bland' is probably welcome [once in awhile]?

The job of KP Twitter account IS to publicize the Cambridges and Sussexes work, their engagements. That's why it's there.

I suspect that they take a much more cautious approach when the Queen is involved and it's really the Queen's engagement which Meghan is simply tagging along for.

Perhaps KP don't want to announce it ahead of the main RF Twitter account doing so? From what I see it doesn't seem to announce lots of the Queen's engagements on Twitter ahead of time, perhaps for security reasons. Tweeting to almost 4 million people is a bit different to putting it on the diary section of the RF website.

I suspect that they take a much more cautious approach when the Queen is involved and it's really the Queen's engagement which Meghan is simply tagging along for.

Perhaps KP don't want to announce it ahead of the main RF Twitter account doing so? From what I see it doesn't seem to announce lots of the Queen's engagements on Twitter ahead of time, perhaps for security reasons. Tweeting to almost 4 million people is a bit different to putting it on the diary section of the RF website.

Maybe this is the generational issue? There was detailed schedule of the day's events laid out on a formal press release to the royal press pack. And a digital copy of that has since been tweeted by some (including the plague typo :lol:).

This event isn't going to need marketing anyway, the press will be all over it big time. If I was Meghan right now I would be, to quote Prince Harry himself, "bricking it".

Why...she's done everything in stride...nothing seems to have fazed her much since the Christmas appearance, which is the only time I've really seen her look nervous.

LaRae

I’m sure she’ll be fine. Her appearances to date have really just amounted to being a plus one. This upcoming engagement will be The Queen’s show. Meghan just has to smile and shake hands.

It’s not rocket science.

Here are more photos of today's Garden Party. The Prince of Wales, the Duchess of Cornwall, Princess Anne, the Duke of Kent, the Duke and Duchess of Gloucester, Prince and Princess Michael of Kent were present:

** gettyimages gallery **

** dailymail: Dapper Prince Charles is joined by the Duchess of Cornwall as he steps in for his mother the Queen to host a garden party... **

Prince and Princess Michael are in the Court Circular, but I can’t find any photos of them.

I’m sure she’ll be fine. Her appearances to date have really just amounted to being a plus one. This upcoming engagement will be The Queen’s show. Meghan just has to smile and shake hands.

It’s not rocket science.

Umm, that's pretty much the same thing the Queen will do. :lol: None of these engagements are rocket science for any royal.

And lets be real, the press will be all over this because of Meghan...to see her and how she interacts with the Queen.

Last edited:
it isn't what we will see that matters - its the hours on the train that Meghan will spend 1-1 with the Queen.

Very unusual situation

it isn't what we will see that matters - its the hours on the train that Meghan will spend 1-1 with the Queen.

Very unusual situation

Not really, when you consider that the Countess of Wessex spends a great deal of one on one time with Her Majesty on a regular basis.

I like that Meghan is eager to just dive into royal duties.

Very unusual situation

Do we know when they'll travel? Like when they'll leave and when they are expected to arrive? It seems to be about 3 hours of travel time normally. Obviously it'll be slower as the Royal Train goes at a slower rate. But it seems to be odd to do overnight unless they are stopping somewhere?

It’s not rocket science.
"Just watch and learn" kind of experience? :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom