British Royal Family Current Events 9: January 2017 - July 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not to get of track but there’s precedence in Parliament and there’s precedence at court.

Parliamentary precedence for royals and hereditay peers more or less no longer applies. Hereditary peers no longer have seats in the Lords aside from a very few.

The seating arrangements for the concert were quite relaxed, I thought. Edward, one of the Queen's children, sat up the back. Beatrice, Eugenie, Jack to the side. Sophie and Louise behind the Queen. I don't think too much should be read into any of it, to be honest.

We also have to keep in mind that while this was a public event, it’s not as official as other events as this is the personal birthday that the Queen is celebrating. This isn’t Trooping. In this case, she was surrounding by her children and then grandchildren and then other relatively, with the exception of William. In events like Commonwealth Day Service, which are more official, while the Queen’s children do have precedence over William and Harry, they don’t necessarily follow that. William and Harry are given spots ahead of their uncles and aunt a lot of times. Case in point, the Commonwealth Day saw no only the heir and his heir seated ahead of the Queen’s other two children that attended, but so were Harry and Meghan.

I don't think it's a great mystery. Charles views and wishes are being felt.

LaRae

That the monarchy be slimmed down, even though Harry will hold the same position as the Duke of York and Earl of Wessex so isn't that a little counter-productive.

I did kinda expect Kate to make an appearance if she hadn't given birth yet, it's a party not really a working gig. But perhaps she is miserable right now.

LaRae

The last thing I wanted to do at 9 months pregnant is get dressed up and sit for hours.
I think Kate and Zara had the right idea in not attending.

Which I never have gotten, but we won't discuss that here.

It's quite simple. It's a preparation for the transition to the next monarch as many other things. Those four will be in the forefront until the Cambridge children grow up. Some might not agree with it, but so what, that's the way it's happening.

That the monarchy be slimmed down, even though Harry will hold the same position as the Duke of York and Earl of Wessex so isn't that a little counter-productive.

On top of that, people are generally have children later in life, and the royal family is no exception. While Charles was born in HMQ's early twenties, his first born wasn't until he was in his 30s, and that was considered late during his time. Having children later means there will be longer time elapse until the next generation comes to the forefront. And well, Charles only has two kids, unlike HMQ.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's pretty evident that Charles/Camilla, William/Kate and Harry/Meghan are going to take the lead ...other members (Anne, Andew, Edward, Sohpie etc) will be more secondary so to speak. The York girls and Edwards children will basically have little to no role at all except maybe at these types of family events. That's how it's looking to me right now.

LaRae

It's pretty evident that Charles/Camilla, William/Kate and Harry/Meghan are going to take the lead ...other members (Anne, Andew, Edward, Sohpie etc) will be more secondary so to speak. The York girls and Edwards children will basically have little to no role at all except maybe at these types of family events. That's how it's looking to me right now.

LaRae

Not to be an instigator, but what does that even mean, take the lead. I mean those 6 already have the most attention anyways and the latter-mentioned are already treated as secondary, unfairly IMO. And it's not like the Queen's other children are going to just slow down their royal duties because Charles is now king; I am quite sure Andrew and Anne would not even think of it.

LaRae

I think this makes a lot of sense. At some point, QEII's younger three children will be able to "retire" and so will Harry and Meghan, when the Cambridge children grow up.

Not to be an instigator, but what does that even mean, take the lead. I mean those 6 already have the most attention anyways and the latter-mentioned are already treated as secondary, unfairly IMO. And it's not like the Queen's other children are going to just slow down their royal duties because Charles is now king; I am quite sure Andrew and Anne would not even think of it.

The 6 of them will all be primary (Harry is just now coming into it really) for the events. The others aren't going to be called on to step more into the forefront which some thought might happen...it doesn't look that way.

'Fair' shouldn't really factor in...it's just how things would need to be structured when you start to (as apparently Charles wants) slim down the monarchy.

I don't think Charles has plans to 'fire' Anne/Edward/Andrew ..they will be left to do as they are until they want to slow down or retire themselves.

LaRae

We are talking about a system that's predetermined by birth. Really don't think fair is the way to look at this. :lol: Andrew, Anne, Edward, and Sophie will carry on with their charities and support the monarchy at events as well, but it is the Cambridges and Harry and Meghan (whatever title they will be given) will be the ones to called upon to represent the monarch first and foremost.

Normally the Queen doesn´t celebrate her birthday at the eventual date in April publicly. Why has it been done this year?

I really don´t know why the keep on presenting HM with these Pop artists (with the inevitable Miss Minogue and Tom Jones....)?! Wouldn´t it be nicer to give to one´s persons birthday (especially at that age) the music she´s really fond of?! But I guess military band music or some classical pieces won´t draw enough attention for telly watchers...

I've read that the Queen is very fond of songs and music from West End musicals of the 1940s and 1950s, so you're right, I doubt that would grab a TV audience today. My guess is that someone in the Palace thought that a big public birthday for HM's 92nd would be a great finale to a successful London CHOGM.

It was hosted as a finale to CHOGM and was designed to celebrate the Queen's birthday (at most likely her final ever CHOGM) with music from around the Commonwealth.

NO 92 year old should have to sit through such such tripe ! 'Shaggy' thrusting out his crotch [FFS].. Any and every 92 year old would surely have preferred a dignified Classical or 'Big Band' Concert...rather than this succession of unsuitable's . The DoE must have been DELIGHTED to have retirement as reason for not attending !

I've always thought the VERY worst penalty of being Royal is the need to appear to enjoy events that would 'try the patience of a saint', ESPECIALLY 'Royal Variety Performances'.
Personally, I'd happily sit through a hundred 'Memorial Services' at the Abbey, over one of those GHASTLY, 'soul draining' evenings...

Last edited:
Who is to say she isn't 'fond' of these performers?

Those who arranged the concert would surely have found out who she would like to listen to or see perform and arranged for exactly that.

Does anyone know if the song "People Will Say We're In Love" was performed? When I think of the Queen and music, I remember her liking show tunes especially this one from Oklahoma.

Even with the concert being staged especially with the Queen and her birthday in mind, there is also the element of the entire audience to consider. I'm sure there were good reasons for all the performers to be staged To be honest, I'd never heard of "Shaggy" but I would imagine my grandchildren may have. If it was a variety show, there would have been something that would suit every decade as I believe I heard it was done to salute music throughout all the decades of the Queen's reign.

To be honest, I would have rather stayed home myself and ran for a snack when stuff I didn't care for came on. The Queen didn't have that option. :D

Last edited:
That would be a bit rich though as she was heard calling her own mother 'mummy' well into her 70s. There was a documentary done for the Queen Mum's 100th birthday and they have a scene where the Queen says something like 'oh mummy' and she would have been older than Charles is now.

I thought it was because he's done it before to get a laugh.

To be honest I just posted last night in a light-hearted manner as I noticed that the forums had been quite heated somewhat over the past week; so I was just trying to add in a little joke. I wasn't implying that HM would be thinking that negatively, or meant for it to be analysed more deeply.

Well, we know from the program that he made for her 90th birthday that Charles calls calls his mother "mama" - pronounced "muhMA" so "mummy" was for the public's ears. Yes, he called her "mummy" at one of the Jubilees too, but that was for effect also.
Her Majesty knows her son and I think she was waiting for it. Her reaction was "and there it was".

Over the years, especially seeing videos of mother and heir, they both have the same type of humour.

Well, we know from the program that he made for her 90th birthday that Charles calls calls his mother "mama" - pronounced "muhMA" so "mummy" was for the public's ears. Yes, he called her "mummy" at one of the Jubilees too, but that was for effect also.

He did it at both the Golden and Diamond Jubilees.

He refers to 'my mama' in the documentary but to her face he says 'mummy'.

He uses 'mama' like most of us would use 'mother' but 'mummy' as most of us use 'mum' after a certain age.

Is this a British thing to still use mummy after a certain age? I even thought it was odd that Harry still used Mummy in the letter he put on Diana's coffin as he was almost 13 at the time.

Nope. Not a British thing. I am 47 years old this year and my mother is mum or mummy still.

He did it at both the Golden and Diamond Jubilees.

He refers to 'my mama' in the documentary but to her face he says 'mummy'.

He uses 'mama' like most of us would use 'mother' but 'mummy' as most of us use 'mum' after a certain age.

its an on-going joke!

I thought everyone realised

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom